Voices From Within (Book 2)

Av JulieGranger

Charlotte Randolph"s head throbbed as the carriage raced through the frigid cold night.Her tongue tasted the... Mer

Voices From Within - Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Nine

42 9 0
Av JulieGranger

Chapter Twenty-Nine

News Spreads to Harrisburg

Mr. Willoughby, the Senator's aide, left Carlisle before sunrise on Thursday morning. Giles and Bentley the two carriage drivers of  Senator Randolph were more than ready to leave Carlisle after days of sitting around the carriage house.

The wind had died down from the two-day winter storm. The road was bare in spots where the wind had blown across, and other places had six inches finger drifts of snow. It made breaking the trail difficult, with a full day's ride to Harrisburg ahead of them

Mrs. Randolph needed to know how her husband and daughter were and Mr. Hillsborough, the senator's lawyer, was needed to sort out the troubles the Senator and his staff had gotten into in the small town of Carlisle, thought Mr. Willoughby as he sat in the carriage alone.

It was around three o'clock when he walked into the lawyer's office. Once the door closed, Mr. Willoughby told the entire story to the Mr. Hillsborough. The large chested man sat in his chair and listened with disbelief.

"How is Miss Randolph? Is she safe?"

"Yes, she is staying with the Thanturnam family."

"Does Mrs. Randolph know?"

"No, sir. I came straight to your office."

Then, Mr. Willoughby handed him the list of charges from Sheriff Davis, concerning the senator and his staff. Mr. Willoughby answered questions as Mr. Hillsborough questioned the charges.

"If Mr. Albright confessed to the kidnapping, I can't help him. Has he pressed charges on the man who assaulted him?"

"Young Mr. Thanturnam was able to extract the information of Miss Randolph's whereabouts, quite convincingly, I must say. It wasn't until Mr. Albright confessed to killing his German Shepherd that the man beat the hell out of him."

"I see Mr. Thanturnam filed charges for the murder of Ivan Polansky."

"Yes, but Mr. Albright sang like a canary and told the sheriff the senator killed the old man, but it was an accident. Mr. Polansky was protecting the German Shepherd, and the Senator hit him on the head with a fireplace poker. They panicked and left him for dead."

Then Mr. Willoughby explained the evidence that had been recovered. The lawyer knew the evidence was damning, and a judge and/or jury would find the senator guilty of second degree murder.

"What are these extortion charges by Mr. Berman?"

"Senator Randolph wrote Mr. Berman a government check which was returned to the bank with insufficient funds, making the check worthless. Also, Mr. Albright and Mr. Armstrong had threatened the man and his wife, burnt their hog shed until the man agreed to sell his property."

"Cattle rustling? Marvin has gone too far this time. I can no longer defend his actions. I have tried to keep him on the legal side of the law for too long, and he continues to cross the line of decency with his schemes," said the lawyer. "And Mr. Willoughby, I suggest you provide testimony to the senator's involvement to help lessen the charges that will be placed on the staff."

"About the staff. The senator hasn't paid us this week, and I have got a family to care for."

The large man left his chair with a grumble. He pulled out the senator's file and look at the list of staff members on the payroll.

"Let's see. Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Baldwin, and yourself, plus Mr. Albright, who is incarcerated, therefore, forfeiting his salary.Then there are the carriage drivers Giles Wellington and Bentley Franklin.

"They drove me back today, but I do not know if the Senator will need them any longer.

"Well, they should receive their week's wages, nonetheless. Now what about the groomsmen the groomsmen, Oscar Watkins, Jenkins Palmer, and Piper Smith? Are they all still working for the Senator?"

"No sir. Mr. Baldwin dismissed Jenkins and Piper and refused to pay them their week's wages for sitting around the hotel waiting for the Senator to get better. 

"What happened to Marvin?"

"He had a heart attack."

"He's pulled that trick before to get out jams."

"No. This time the heart attack weakened him, and he has been in bed rest all week."

"But I bet he is well enough to be calling the shots," said the lawyer, knowing his client he had served for too many years all too well.

"Because of the bad check, the senator has no money to pay wages or even the hotel bill because they won't accept a check from the senator's account. That is why Mr. Baldwin sent me with instructions to bring back money to straighten out their account."

Mr. Hillsborough wrote the amount for their weekly wages for the men still on payroll. The rest of the afternoon, the two men worked on their necessary paperwork. Mr. Willoughby handed the lawyer his testimony and agreed to return to the senator's office on Monday to work until further notice. Mrs. Hillsborough arranged with the bank for the wages to be sent to his office from the Senator's account.

After the bank messenger arrived, the two men took the Senator's carriage to the Winthrop estate to talk to Mrs. Randolph. Their head groomsman, Milton, greeted them. Carrying their leather satchels, they walked to the large front door. Timmons, the Winthrop's butler, opened the door and welcomed the gentlemen into the large foyer of the home.

"Is Mrs. Randolph available? We need to speak to her in private," said Mr. Hillsborough.

"Yes, sir. Follow me."

The butler gathered the men's winter capes and hats and then showed them the way into the parlor where Mrs. Randolph and her sister, Mrs. Winthrop, the women's grandfather, Senor Melachora, and a guest were having drinks before dinner.

"Mrs. Randolph. Mr. Hillsborough wishes to speak to you, Ma'am," said Timmons.

Constance Randolph stood up and walked toward Mr. Hillsborough to greet him.

"Evan, how nice to see you," said Constance as she extended her hand to the lawyer. "Mr. Willoughby."

She acknowledged her husband's aide with politeness.

"How can I help you?"

"May I speak to you in private?" asked Mr. Hillsborough.

"If this is concerning my soon-to-be ex-husband, feel free to speak," said Constance. "Of course, you know my sister, Carmen, and my father, Gaspar. Allow me to introduce our friend Senor Maxwell Alvarez from Mexico City."

The men greeted their guest, and her sister invited them to join them. She ordered drinks to be brought to the men. Carmen's husband, John, arrived home from work and joined the guests in the room. Small talk had ended when Constance broke the tension in the room.

"Well, what has Marvin done now?"

"Constance, I don't even know where to begin," admitted Mr. Hillsborough, looking to Mr. Willoughby for direction.

"I believe the beginning is a good place to start," said Mrs. Winthrop.

Mr. Willoughby told them everything from the beginning and questions of clarification peppered the story as they tried to make sense of the events. When the senator's aide reached the part of Charlotte's kidnapping, Constance gasped, and her sister moved over on to the settee to comfort her as they feared the worse.

"Is Charlotte alright? What happened to her?"

"Young Mr. Thanturnam beat the confession out of Mr. Albright. They hauled him to jail before the young man could kill him."

"I like his methods. It shows he cares for Charlotte," said Maxwell.

"Yes, sir. That and Mr. Albright killed his dog."

Then all shook their head in disgust as Mr. Willoughby continued his story.

"Sheriff explained to the senator and the staff that Miss Charlotte was too sick to travel, and Reggie Thanturnam was taking care of her at Mr. Polansky's cabin. When Charlotte was well-enough to travel, the sheriff told us that Reggie planned to take Charlotte to his parent's estate to recover. The Cumberland Valley had received more snow than Harrisburg, making traveling difficult for two days."

"Sick from what? What happened?" asked her mother.

"She received an overdose of laudanum and was hit on the head. She needed stitches," replied Mr. Willoughby.

"Oh dear, no wonder she was sick," said her aunt.

"Am I to understand that this young man and Charlotte spent the duration of the storm together in the cabin alone?" asked her grandfather.

"Yes sir. The sheriff assured the Senator that Reggie had given his word as a gentleman that Charlotte would be safe."

"Hmph," grunted Senor Melachora in disbelief.

Senor Alvarez whirled with thoughts of a young fighter with passion, a beautiful woman, alone in a cabin during a storm. It was too convenient, too much of a temptation to allow the desire to take over judgement.

"Mr. Willoughby, where is she now?" asked Charlotte's mother.

Mr. Willoughby took out a small leather notebook and read, "Gordon and Rose Thanturnam of the Thanturnam Estate."

"That name sound so familiar," said Constance as she searched her memory.

"The Thanturnam men I met at the hotel were large, broad-shoulder Scotsman with long black hair."

"I believe the Thanturnums attend one of the senator's yearly receptions a few years ago. Handsome couple, as I remember," said Constance. "Does the son resemble his father?"

"Spitting image, but the young Thanturnam sports a chin beard and a moustache compared to his father's trimmed beard. The resemble is uncanny. Women might find that attractive, but I think he looks like a rogue," said Mr. Willoughby.

"Mrs. Randolph, I need to let you know that I have drafted a letter to the Senator stating that I will not be representing him."

"I understand. Mr. Hillsborough," said Constance, knowing that as her representative in her divorce case, it would be a conflict of interest. "I am afraid the senator will not understand. Mr. Willoughby, when will you be returning to Carlisle?"

"Tomorrow morning. I will take the men's wages and correspondence to the senator and his staff. Then I plan on returning to my family and working in the senator's office on Monday. Ma'am, I am afraid the moment the senator is well enough to be moved, he is going to jail."

"You and I both know Marvin has pulled that stunt before of faking a heart attack to get out of trouble," said Constance as her anger grew against her husband.

"Not this time, Ma'am," said Mr. Willoughby. "He was weakened considerably, but he is recovering."

A drop of sympathy touched her heart for a moment, and she let out a deep sigh as she carefully chose her words.

"That is unfortunate. But I am tired of his schemes," said Constance as she straightened her spine. "I will travel with you tomorrow morning. Let me know what time and I will be ready."

"Constance, you cannot travel by yourself," scolded her sister.

"It would honor me to escort you, Constance," said Maxwell Alvarez as he stood and snapped his heels together. "At your service, Madam."

Constance looked at him with affection in her eyes and accepted his offer. Their father threw off his lap blanket, and using his cane, he rose to his feet.

"I will travel also," announced Senor Melachora. "My granddaughter's reputation has been called into question, and I need to let that young man know that I plan to defend her honor. I will march that young man down the aisle with my sword drawn."

"Now father, let's not jump to conclusions until we hear Charlotte's side of the story," said Constance.

"Father, do you think you are well enough to travel?" asked Carmen.

"Well, as I'll ever be. Excuse me, but I need to pack," said their father as he shuffled to his bedroom.

Constance stood, and the rest of the men rose to their feet. It was time to leave. Timmons presented the men with their capes and hats.

"Mr. Hillsborough, is there something you are not telling me?" asked Constance.

He hesitated and then told her the truth.

"The Senator took out a second mortgage on the house and has yet to pay on the loan. I'm afraid he is going to lose the house."

"Tell the bank to sell the house to pay off the mortgage. Sell the remaining furniture. I have removed the pieces I want for Charlotte and I. Put the proceeds in Charlotte's account for a dowry. That is the least her father could do for her. Let me know when the divorce papers are final."

"The senator would have to agree to it and sign all the papers."

"Mr. Hillsborough, the man is going to be put behind bars. He will sign," said Constance with confidence. "Mr. Willoughby, what time tomorrow morning?"

"I will arrive here at eight o'clock, and we should be on the road before nine."

"I will be ready to go."

After the men left, Constance returned to the parlor where her brother-in-law, John Winthrop, and Senor Alvarez were discussing the senator.

"Constance, I can arrange for a doctor to treat her, and she can recover here under our care," suggested her brother-in-law. "Do you think your father needs to make the journey? It is a full-day ride in the middle of winter."

"You know Papa. He is stubborn and thinks the world of Charlotte. I will take good care of him. This young man has saved my daughter's life, and his family has taken her into their home. We need to show our gratitude. I will ask Matilda to make up a gift basket for starters."

"Constance, I don't know how many gowns you will need. Remember, these are country folk and the weather is much colder outside the city. The wind is brutal in the open areas," said her sister.

"I will keep that in mind while I'm packing."

"Which means one trunk if you plan on taking the carriage," said her brother-in-law.

John excused himself and went outside to the carriage house to make the arrangements with Milton. Constance left for the kitchen, and Senor Alvarez lifted his glass in the air.

"To a grand adventure."

He drained his glass and left for his bedroom to pack.

Early the next morning, Mr. Willoughby arrived precisely at eight o'clock. Mrs. Randolph's trunk and the gentlemen's luggage plus the gift basket was packed into the four-seater enclosed carriage. The Winthrop family said their goodbyes and wished them a safe journey.

Mr. Willoughby rode his horse in front of the enclosed carriage driven by Milton, the Winthrop's groomsman. Three hours into their journey, they stopped at the roadside inn for lunch and to rest the horses. After traveling for three more hours, they reached the crossroads. Mr. Willoughby came to a halt and dismounted his horse.

"Milton, follow this road to the south for a good hour until you come to a large estate, almost like a plantation. That will be the Thanturnam Estate. Over there to the north is Carlisle," said Mr. Willoughby.

Both men checked their watches, and it was after four o'clock. They parted ways, saying their goodbyes. The large carriage with the gold-plated 'W' on the door rolled down the road to the Thanturnam Estate.

Mr. Willoughby rode into Carlisle with apprehension, knowing he would have to face the wrath of the Senator.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

125K 2.9K 35
Caitlyn Winter she was never a party animal, but she went anyway, everything to just get out. Eventually she bumped into someone, someone that was no...
7.2M 215K 47
"I need to go," I mumbled. Before I could take another breath, he had me pinned against the wall. "You aren't going to move another inch," his voice...
15.9K 2K 51
His chilling cry that night touched her soul, and this time Talia ran toward the sound. The corridors of the castle were filled with cries of desper...
104K 4.6K 16
I'm working every waking hour. You'd think that smuggling would pay better, but nothing has been easy since the war. I can't go on like this. I need...