Adventure's Past

By Particulan

The sequel to 'A Journey's Link'. -Spoilers ahead- Six years have passed since the event transpired as a resu... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Euphoria
Chapter 2 - Onwards
Chapter 3 - Return
Chapter 4 - Incident
Chapter 5 - Traveler
Chapter 6 - Burning Pain
Chapter 7 - Discovery
Chapter 8 - Location
Chapter 9 - Escape
Chapter 10 - Realization
Chapter 11 - Espie
Chapter 12 - Astray
Chapter 13 - Devastation
Chapter 14 - Introduce
Chapter 15 - Cherish
Chapter 16 - Away
Chapter 17 - Retrieval
Chapter 18 - Fervency
Chapter 19 - Sonder
Chapter 20 - Family
Chapter 21 - Intrusion
Chapter 22 - Serena
Chapter 23 - Goh
Chapter 24 - Ash
Chapter 25 - Host
Chapter 26 - Spying
Chapter 27 - Imprisoned
Chapter 28 - Pallet
Chapter 29 - Monstrosity
Chapter 30 - Laboratory
Chapter 31 - Vulnerable
Chapter 32 - Ascertain
Chapter 33 - Break
Chapter 34 - World
Chapter 35 - Pewter
Chapter 36 - Brock
Chapter 37 - Companion
Chapter 38 - Nostalgic
Chapter 40 - Flying
Chapter 41 - Recalling
Chapter 42 - Chespin
Chapter 43 - Statue
Chapter 44 - Manifesto
Chapter 45 - Avoidance
Chapter 46 - Planned
Chapter 47 - Prepare
Chapter 48 - Arsenal
Chapter 49 - Motives
Chapter 50 - Leadership
Chapter 51 - Peruse
Chapter 52 - Approach
Chapter 53 - Onslaught
Chapter 54 - Convincing
Chapter 55 - Destruction
Chapter 56 - Explanation
Chapter 57 - Death
Chapter 58 - Human
Chapter 59 - Fought
Chapter 60 - Once Again
Chapter 61 - Common Point
Post-Book Author's Note

Chapter 39 - Legacy

292 13 3
By Particulan

"You've planned to get my attention?" Mewtwo repeated back Kiera's words to her through telepathy, confused. Nodding, Kiera walked forward, revealing herself in the small amount of sunlight that made its way through the cracks of the depreciated building. "That's right. Our little stunt on that island brought you here," she replied, winking at Mewtwo.

Her bright blue hair bounced as she walked forward, barely touching her shoulders in length. Alongside the regular grunt outfit that was provided when joining Team Rocket, she had blue rings going around her sleeves, indicating that she had held some position of power within the defunct organization.

Mewtwo's eyes squinted in clear distrust and hatred. "You were the individual that caused the fire?" He asked telepathically, clarifying Kiera's words. "Absolutely!" She responded back enthusiastically, clasping her hands in joy. "Those were the only grunts that were willing to go to set that forest on fire!" She explained with a smile on her face.

"That's because those were the only grunts left," a gruff voice said from behind her, pushing aside the chair that sat in front of the dim monitors. Walking forward, Trent revealed himself to Mewtwo, a tired and frustrated look on his face. His short green hair twirled upwards wildly, completely opposite to his seemingly serious demeanor, and his outfit, which was also just a grunt's normal outfit, had red rings on its sleeves.

He squinted his brown eyes at Kiera, fed up with her attitude. "It's just us now, so we need to explain everything, or else this might end up all being a big waste of time," he urged Kiera, who nodded quickly. Mewtwo stared at the two and crossed his arms as they faced him. "Speak quickly and convince me of your actions," he stated telepathically, causing Kiera to tense up a bit.

"Do you mind if we start from the beginning?" Kiera squeaked, causing Trent to glare at her in disbelief. "Did you not just hear him? He said to make it quick!" He exclaimed, his hands shaking as he fought the urge to strangle her. "Stop," Mewtwo stated, holding up one paw. "I am rather curious, given the circumstances, so please, begin from the origins of this story."

Kiera smirked at Trent and stuck out her tongue before eagerly facing Mewtwo, who had closed his eyes with intent. "Alright, so I think it's best if we start all the way back before even you were here," she suggested, gesturing to the decrepit room surrounding them. "All the way back to when Giovanni was overthrown by that reporter guy," she added mysteriously, earning an eye roll from Trent.

Mewtwo opened one eye and perked his ears. "I am aware of this story," he interrupted Kiera with an edge of impatience. "The reporter who worked at Magnolia News was Aaron Ketchum. Of course, he was driven away from his son and wife, the former being Ash Ketchum, who stopped Giovanni from attempting world domination."

Kiera raised her eyebrows and looked at Trent, who looked equally as shocked. For them, they had spent the past six years trying to gain the attention of Mewtwo in order to dominate the world alongside him. They had studied him extensively while they were grunts under Giovanni, so they knew exactly what Mewtwo would want to do upon finding freedom; destroy humans.

"I advise you to get to your point quickly, as my anger is quickly exceeding my patience," Mewtwo suggested with malice, causing Trent to take a step back. He silently gulped and stared up at Mewtwo, who had begun floating. "We felt that we could help you in your quest to eradicate the human race," he explained, his palms clammy. "And, yes, we are humans as well, but we felt that we could help shape the new world alongside you."

"Yep! And with us helping you, we thought we could offer a different perspective," Kiera suddenly chimed in, surprisingly cheery. "Three heads are better than one, y'know?" She added suggestively, a smile on her face. Trent looked over at Mewtwo with a hopeful look on his face; the both of them truly did want to change the world, and they believed there was no better opportunity to do so than the one in front of them.

As the two gazed upon Mewtwo, who was barely floating above the rubble-infested ground, a sense of dread was instilled in them. Unable to explain it, they both looked at each other with a knowing look on their face; Mewtwo most likely disliked their proposal and was barely in a negotiating mood.

Mewtwo's face scrunched up in anger. "I hope you're both aware of the dire consequences your little stunt procured," he stated threateningly. Trent and Kiera both shook their heads, not knowing how the fire had managed to indirectly bring back Mewtwo's biggest threat. "Ash is quite the formidable obstacle, but his absence had given me great relief in that I could carry out my plan without him interfering."

"Of course, you unknowingly reignited any passion he had for humans by forcing him off of the deserted island that you set fire to," he continued explaining, causing Trent and Kiera to raise their eyebrows. "And now, his complete and utter bravery will only cause problems for my plan to enact peace upon this planet." His eyes glowed purple as he said this, alerting both former Team Rocket members.

They quickly reached for the Pokeballs on their belt, chucking them into the area in front of them. Aegislash and Darmanitan both suddenly appeared, landing in a defensive position against the now aggressive Mewtwo. "For your actions that have ruined my plans, I must begin my eradication with you two," Mewtwo stated passionately, floating forward quickly.

"Quick Aegislash, change into Shield Forme!" Trent exclaimed with genuine fear in his voice; they hadn't truly understood the raw power and command that Mewtwo possessed, but seeing his unhinged abilities had educated them. Aegislash quickly placed its shield in front of its sword-like body, creating a barrier as Mewtwo neared them, charging up a Shadow Ball and releasing it directly at Aegislash.

The Shadow Ball broke through the shield as if it had never even been there and sent Aegislash flying backward, smashing into the monitors and falling onto the ground amongst the technological rubble. "Ergh!" Trent muttered, quickly recalling the knocked-out Pokemon. "Don't just sit there, Kiera! Do something!" He exclaimed, reaching for his next Pokemon; Mewtwo quickly subdued his arm and froze it in place, stopping him from sending out his next choice.

Kiera, still in shock from seeing the strength of Mewtwo, stared at Trent, frozen, before turning her head back to the opponent, who was now setting up a Barrier of his own. "Darminatan, break through that Barrier with Flare Blitz!" She commanded, her voice shaking with caution. Darmanitan pounded the floor a few times as fire began engulfing him. Mewtwo looked on as the large Blazing Pokemon leaped forward, flames surrounding his body.

Impacting directly into the thin layer that surrounded Mewtwo, Darmanitan pushed through and shattered the Barrier, surprising Mewtwo and slamming directly into his target. Kiera watched in joy, expecting to see Mewtwo get pushed back a fair bit and be damaged; she was shocked as Mewtwo struggled back against the move, simply pushing her Pokemon out of the way and throwing him onto the ground using Psychic.

"Pestilence," Mewtwo simply commented, lifting Darmanitan into the air and flinging him back towards Kiera, who watched in pure terror as the large Pokemon landed directly on top of her. Trent watched from a few feet over as she was crushed; the sound of bones snapping echoed throughout the room, sending horrifying chills throughout his body.

The weight of the situation had truly dawned upon him, yet nothing could be done. His arms had been rendered useless, making it so that nothing stood between him and Mewtwo, who now had turned towards Trent, a fury in his eyes. "P-Please spare me! I'll be your servant!" Trent pleaded, his heart racing rapidly as Mewtwo floated closer to him, being just a few feet apart from Trent's face.

"Even if I would spare you now, the inevitable doom of death would catch up to you eventually," Mewtwo replied, malice coursing through every individual word. "I would be dishonoring you by sparing you for later." Trent raised an eyebrow, which had a few sweat drops lingering, waiting to drop. "Dishonoring me?" He repeated, not understanding Mewtwo's words.

"Correct. To be the first of millions to be eradicated under my guise," Mewtwo explained, leaning his head back and facing the ceiling. "I'm nearly jealous. To be able to be spared from the true anger I will unleash upon humans. I envy it." Bringing his head back down, Mewtwo glared at Trent. "You'll never truly understand the pain and torture your boss put me through, not even after you experience this departure from this world."

Realizing what Mewtwo was alluding to, Trent opened his eyes wide and tried to run, but he quickly found that his legs were also being held back by the control of Mewtwo's psychic powers. "After all you humans have put me through, I think it's time to finally return the favor," Mewtwo stated with finality, floating upwards and towards the door.

"Wait, what are you going to do?!" Trent yelled, unable to move his legs. His life quickly flashed before his eyes; his fantastic childhood in Johto, becoming a trainer and traveling the region, running into Team Rocket grunts who were collecting Slowpoke Tails, and eventually joining the organization at a young age, finding a family within them.

It all led up to where he was now, being restrained by Mewtwo, the unfortunate product of his boss's desires. His mind raced in an attempt to escape with his life, so he quickly blurted out the first thing his mind landed on. "Hey! You're smart and logical and all that, right?" He exclaimed, catching the attention of a departing Mewtwo.

"What leads you to assume this?" Mewtwo responded, turning around with a genuine inquisitive look on his face. "We studied you. Extensively," Trent replied, taking deep breaths as he spoke. "You think in the most logical manner and have no desire to do things otherwise," he added, earning a look of recognition from Mewtwo.

"So why do all this?" He then questioned angrily. "Why eradicate the human race? It's not the logical thing to do. You're doing all of this purely based on emotion! It's completely illogical to think that this is the most optimal route in dealing with your anger towards humans, right?!" Mewtwo stared back at him, unanswering.

"And another thing!" Trent added, realizing his final thoughts were coming to a close. "You're the most powerful creature on the planet! Why not just decimate the entirety of humans with a simple thought? Why sit here and stoop down to our level?" He hadn't meant to sound like he was groveling, but the respect he had for Mewtwo's strength exceeded his fear.

"Because, Trent, I want to make sure everyone is aware of the pain that they'll feel," Mewtwo responded evilly, turning back around and exiting through the door. I want everyone to understand my pain. They don't deserve a swift and painless goodbye.

As Mewtwo floated towards the opening that led to the forest outside, he noticed that it had become nearly nighttime; the sun had begun setting upon the horizon, creating a yellow and orange hue in the sky that could only be seen for a few minutes. The perfect setting for what will soon happen.

Once Mewtwo had floated far enough away, he stared upon the stone mountain that held the defunct base of operations for Giovanni; it was where he had once been controlled, but now, it stood as a symbol of his past. He was going to remove it with destruction and look onward towards the hopeful future.

His eyes turned purple as his arm was raised, outstretched towards the mountain. Despite his power, the action he was about to attempt would likely be draining. Focusing all of his energy onto the rocky base, he watched as the integrity of the mountain began to crumble in on itself; the stone began cracking and falling down, completely destroying the inside tunnels and filling up the gaps with the natural stone.

Releasing his psychic grip on the stone, he watched as gravity took control. What had once been a structurally sound mountain with a fortified interior became a desolate and completely leveled remnant. Even the people within will be forgotten to time, Mewtwo told himself as he stared upon the completely destroyed mountain, taking in the sight for his gratification.

Taking one final breath, he floated away, heading towards his next location to properly dispose of his greatest target. As he left behind the destruction, he had failed to realize the now waking up Goh, whose body had been forgotten about when Mewtwo had placed him just outside the base. Despite his logical nature, Mewtwo had allowed his emotions to cloud his vision, leaving Goh as a survivor of the ruination.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

710K 9K 108
Ash Ketchum, with Pikachu and the rest of his Kalos team (except for Goodra & Greninja), return home to Pallet Town, where his former travelling comp...
7.2K 193 19
He's finally done it. The boy all the way from little old Pallet Town is now officially a Pokemon Master. Ash Ketchum lifts the trophy high with a ce...
941 34 1
Serena and Ash are about to go their separate ways, Serena feels unsure of her future. All she knows is that she doesn't want to say goodbye. But, ma...
123K 2.6K 61
*COMPLETE**EDITS COMPLETE* Ash Ketchum is a brand new trainer from Pallet Town in the Kanto region at 16 years old. His dream is to become the very b...