It takes two | Sirius Black

By ohsnapitzmer

You can let it go, you can throw a party full of everyone you know, you can start a family who will always sh... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50
51.
52.
53
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.

34.

4.6K 119 56
By ohsnapitzmer

Shortly after the wedding, Remus awoke in the dead of night. He couldn't get back to sleep,couldn't shake the feeling that his daughter had been born. Tate and Rafe explained it was probably is wolf instinct, knowing his young was now out there. His desire to protect. Rafe also confirmed this meant that Remus was most definitely the biological father.

It happened repeatedly after that first night, he'd wake up for no other reason than a feeling, an instinct.

"She's probably woken up to be fed." Tate explains gently, "Your instinct is letting you know.."

Remus nods stiffly. There's nothing he can do. He had attempted to track her, but without a scent he couldn't do that. All he could do was wake up, restless and emotional. His gut telling him his child needed him. That his daughter needed him. It scared Remus that his instinct was so strong. Sometimes Phoenix could cry right next to Sirius and Sirius would continue snoring through it. His daughter wasn't even near him and yet, he knew that she needed something.

Rafe explained that the wolf instinct was naturally stronger than humans. Wolves had a pack, they had to the instinct to hunt together and stick together, the need to protect their young from harm. Remus felt sick. He couldn't protect his own daughter. Wherever she was, she was with Greybacks lot now.

Dumbledore made several comments about the true wolf. How two wolves had not had a baby together for centuries. Remus had to hold his tongue, fearful of lashing out at the elderly man who used words such as 'weapon' and 'monster' to describe his innocent infant child.

Remus ached physically, his wolf transformations causing him irreversible damage. He had to use a walking stick to get around sometimes now, his knee and hip causing him more pain that necessary. It annoyed him. Tate was older but had grown with no restrictions. He hadn't been told to deny the wolf, to force it down so his transformations had been easy, less painful with less long term damage.

Tate still made Remus feel handsome and wonderful. They still managed to have incredible sex but Remus had a new ache. A constant ache in his heart. A never ending heartbreak, it never went. It never left him alone or gave him a break. At least with his hip and knee he could take pain potions, but there was no cure for heartbreak.

May turned into June, Zions 2nd birthday fast approached. It was a smaller affair than his first birthday. His Auntie Marlene and Auntie Dorcas sent their presents and apologies via owl post. Auntie Mary dropped her present off the day before, apologising for missing out. They rarely saw each other outside Order meetings nowadays. Never a spare five minutes for a quick catch up. Even the friends who lived together in Potter manor, rarely had time to just sit and chat. Always something to do, always something needing to be done.

All four marauders made the effort though, Peter popped in before his shift at the ministry. He walked into the manor with balloons,marshmallows and a present that made Zion's face light up excitedly.

"Happy birthday, big man!" Pete grins, placing the present in front of him. James takes the balloons, tying them to the banister whilst Pete helps Zion unwrap his gift.

"It's a ball pit." He explains, waving his wand to blow the pit up, "It's a muggle invention. Kids love them."

"Cheers Pete." Sirius smiles, using his wand to put the balls inside.

Pete picks Zion up and sits him inside the ball pit and ruffles his crazy black hair, "Happy birthday again! I'll see you later for birthday cake!"

"See you later Wormy!" James and Sirius call after him as he leaves for work.

"Shit." James mumbles, "I think Pete wins best present this year!"

The two men stare at Zion who's laughing happily and throwing the small coloured balls around the room. Remus and Tate walk in, clutching separate presents. Remus is in his grey dressing gown, bags under his eyes and his sandy hair sticking up all over the place. He looks like shit. It's obvious he's been crying.

He plasters a fake wide smile on his face as he leans down and hands his present to Zion,"Happy birthday, Zion."

"Uncle Moony!" Zion beams, grabbing Remus' face affectionately.

Remus smiles stiffly, "Should I help you open it?"

Zion and Remus rip the blue paper, revealing a black leather jacket, identical to Sirius'. Zion holds it in his hands and looks at his Dad.

"Daddy!" Zion struggles to his feet, the balls restricting his mobility.

"That." Says Sirius picking Zion up, "Is the winning present of this year!"

"I tried my best." Remus bows, smirking at James.

Sirius helps Zion into his jacket and grins. The two of them pose for Tate as he snaps a photo of them both in their leather jackets, looking more alike than ever.

"He just needs a cig behind his ear now." Sirius jokes, his eyes widening as Kate walks in with Phoenix.

"If he ever smokes them vile things I'll ram them right up your ass." Kate says, rising her eyebrows disapprovingly.

Remus removes the one perched behind his ear, swiftly hiding it in his dressing gown pocket, "Yeah they're nasty them things."

Phoenix has a striking resemblance to Sirius too, but it's not as prominent. He has Kates blue eyes for one, freckles scattered across his nose and his skin is fairer. There's still no mistaking him as Sirius' child though, not with the untameable black locks on his head.

Sirius takes Phoenix in one arm, Zion in the other and Tate snaps another photo. Zion leans over and kisses his brother on the head.

"Nix has jacket too?"

"Not yet." Remus smiles, "I'll get him one for his birthday."

"No." Zion pouts, "Nix have one now."

Sirius shakes his head, "It's your birthday today, mate. Shall we go and see the cake Mummy made?"

Zion nods, Sirius puts him down and he follows his Mum into the kitchen. Sat on the counter is a home made chocolate cake, topped with strawberries. Zion licks his lips approvingly, before running off back to his ball pit.

Phoenix sucks his fist, his big blue eyes looking up at his Father. Sirius smiles down at him and strokes his cheek, his eyes fluttering shut. He puts his free arm around Kate and kisses her neck.

"I love you so much." He whispers, "I love you. I love you."

Kate smiles, planting a kiss on his lips, "I love you- mi amor."

"Hey! That's my line." Sirius rolls his eyes, "You doing okay?"

"Just happy." Kate laughs, "Really really happy."

"Me too."

That morning was so perfect, so pure and wonderful. It was easy to forget where the Aunties were, why they couldn't come and celebrate their nephews birthday. It was easy to forget that there was war outside. Until Pete returned, he was red faced and flustered, sweating and he looked scared. Truly scared.

Pete had always been jumpy, but this was different. He couldn't speak, his eyes widened with fear. He just sat in the chair, shaking violently and sweating profusely. His friends tried everything to calm him the best they could, but no one could breakthrough or get him to talk. Eventually, they got word from the Order that an attack had taken place in Hogsmede.

"Reckon that's what's wrong with Wormy?" Sirius asks, glancing at his nervous friend.

"It's got to be." James nods.

Remus frowns, "Why? Was he there or something?"

"No he was at the office.."James says, "Right?"

"Right." Confirms Lily, she suddenly lets out a gasp, "Oh no! What if someone he knows got hurt?"

James sighs, running his hand through his hair and shaking his head. He couldn't think who Pete could possibly know who was there during the attack. Dumbledore arrives unannounced but expected, he always turned up at the Potters after an attack. He addresses the friends, stepping over balloons to sit in front of Pete. He tries to talk, but Pete doesn't say anything.

Dumbledore gives up, looking at Sirius, James, Remus, Kate and Tate with a kind smile. Sirius shifts uncomfortably, the kindness and warmth of the smile doesn't quite match the vacant stare in his eyes.

"Two of Voldemorts followers we're killed in Hogsmede by Aberforth, he owns the Hogs head inn." He says calmly, "A handful of others managed to escape, they purposefully went on what would have been a student day." He inhales, side eyeing Pete who is shaking, "Luckily, I saw sense weeks ago to disallow such trips during these trying times and no student was harmed."

"Thank god." Kate mutters, Phoenix asleep in her arms. She readjusts the baby in her arms, guilt washing over her for bringing another innocent child into such a messed up world.

Dumbledore looks at Pete again, "Keep an eye on Pettigrew here. He's in shock."

"Why?" James questions, "He wasn't in Hogsmede was he?"

"No." Dumbledore replies, "But a few of the Order were, Frank Longbottom and Marlene McKinnon."

"But they're all okay aren't they?" Lily says, rubbing her growing bump and thinking of Alice.

Dumbledore nods, "Yes, Frank and Marlene are both fine."

                                *********

"I don't understand why he's still not speaking. Everyone's fine." Remus mutters, glancing at Pete who's still staring into space.

Pete stares back, "They attacked Hogsmede. That was our happy place and they just.."

James is next to him, wrapping an arm around him, "It's alright mate. No one got hurt."

"The two deatheaters went to Hogwarts." He whispers hoarsely, his eyes glossy with tears, "Evan Rosier was one of them, do you remember him?"

Sirius is next by his side, "Yeah, yeah. He was mates with Reggie. Nasty little shit he was."

"It's just..nothing is safe anymore." Pete says, his breath getting caught in his throat, "Nothing is the same."

"Pete, will you please take some dreamless sleep? Just stay here for a night." James asks pleadingly, "You're mentally fucking yourself up."

"I have to go home." Pete says blinking the tears away, "I have to go home to Mum."

It's a fight James knows he won't win. Peter was fading before their eyes. Men like Peter weren't built for things like this. They were made to be gardeners or farmers, not thrusted into a world of pain and death. James walks Peter home in the rain, ensuring he gets to his Mother safely.

"He needs to leave his ministry job." James says as he walks back into the house.

"You can't just wrap him in cotton wool, James." Sirius sighs, "He's a grown up now."

"He can't handle the war." James snaps.

"None of us can handle the fucking war." Remus hisses, "People are dying and there's fuck all we can do about it."

Lily let's out a defeated sigh, "Don't argue. We're losing the war but let's not lose each other too."

James wraps his arms around Lily, his hands holding her bump, "You're right, sorry. I'm just worried about him. He's always been.."

"Pete." Remus finishes.

They didn't know exactly what they meant, just that they each had the need to protect him like a younger brother. He wasn't weak, he was strong in his own ways but mentally he'd always struggled more than the other three boys. James in particular had been viciously protective over him. He hated it when people made jokes at Pete's dispense, he would defend him in a heartbeat even if it was Sirius making the distasteful jokes.

Pete always struggled with fitting in, before James he didn't have anyone. He was a loner. An outcast. He was the black sheep of his own family, all of them believing he was a squib. Non magical. When the Pettigrews moved in round the corner to the Potters, Effy and Monty made a big deal in welcoming them to their town. They ensured to make them feel included in the wizarding community, despite the rumours about Peter.

They introduced Pete to their son James, the two immediately became inseparable. James automatically wanting to protect the short, plump blonde boy from everyone else. It had been a real shock when they received his Hogwarts letter.

When Sirius and James became friends, it took Pete and Sirius a long time to warm up to eachother. Sirius was loud and boisterous, he led James astray. Pete was awkward, he didn't understand jokes and hated getting into trouble.

Sirius only really warmed up to Pete once he realised he wasn't going anywhere. If he wanted to be friends with James Potter, he would have to accept Peter too.

Remus was a project all three of them were happy to partake in. The fourth roommate. He wasn't shy like Peter, he was loud and gobby like Sirius. He swore a lot and snapped at them all. He was covered in scars and had a constant distasteful look slapped across his face.

It took Remus a bit of time to fully let the three boys in. To let them be his friends, but once it happened there was no going back. Once Remus was part of the group, Pete felt pushed aside again. He hated getting into trouble, but if he wanted friends he would have to do whatever it took.

It never took much for the three other boys to convince Pete to take part in their antics. He was easily swayed and charmed into participating. Eventually his shell broke, he found a little more confidence and he was happy. He still didn't understand some things, like some of the jokes the others shared or the obsession with girls and sex, and maybe, sometimes they made fun of him for it. But he was happy, because they accepted him for who he was and he never had to change himself to suit them and their group.

They marauders were his best friends, his brothers and they never made him feel like he was less than them.

                              **********

"Remus, I know we're here to watch for attacks butttttttt.."

"No." Remus says immediately.

Sirius frowns, "You don't even know what I was going to say?"

"It'll be something like 'let's ditch this for an
hour and go to the pub'." Remus sighs, checking behind him, "Newsflash, there was an attack on Hogsmede a week ago."

"Actually, you're wrong." Sirius grins, a familiar mischievous glint in his eyes, "I was going to ask if you would come to that shop there and help me out."

Remus follows Sirius' pointed finger, his squints his eyes for a better look. A jewellery shop. Remus looks at Sirius in surprise, finding himself nodding in agreement.

"I'll keep my eyes on the street from the window." Remus says, "It's about fucking time to be honest with you mate."

Sirius shrugs, "I've been thinking about it for awhile. Whenever I see her with the boys, I just.. that's what I want for the rest of my life."

Remus smiles and let's out a soft chuckle, "Yeah, I get like that with Tate."

"Do you think she'd say yes?"

Remus snorts, "She's birthed two of your children, puts up with your shitty attitude and lack of hygiene-"

"Lack of hygiene?!"

"Pads, you throw your fucking boxers around the entire house."

"Oh that." Sirius pulls a face, "It just happens when we're in the mood-"

Remus looks disgusted, "MY ROOM? SIRIUS WHAT THE FUCK?"

"Sorry." He shrugs, laughing at his friends face.

"It's fine, I've done it in your room too." Remus smirks.

"Moony!!" Sirius groans with a fake gag.

**********
The patronus lights up the front room, making everyone squint as their eyes adjust to the blinding lights.

"We have a son!" Franks voice beams proudly, "His name is Neville. Alice and baby are doing wonderfully. I better go but I'll see you all soon."

"They had a son!" Lily smiles, "He sounds so happy!"

Sirius nods, "Of course he does! Becoming a Dad is the best gift ever."

James looks at Lily's bump, his heart jumping with excitement. Lily had gone over her due date, technically baby Potter should've been born three days ago.

He leans down kissing Lily's bump, "Please don't make me wait much longer, baby Potter."

It was as if the baby heard him and understood his Fathers words, because just an hour later Lily was screaming the house down. James didn't leave her side. Two medi-witches from St Mungo's came to deliver the baby at home. Sirius and Kate stayed in their room with their two boys, Sirius pacing with anticipation. Remus kept popping in, also besides himself with impatience.

"Maybe baby Potter will share a birthday with Neville." Tate says.

Remus looks at the time, "If he's born in the next twenty minutes."

There's a knock on the door and Pete walks in, he smiles at his friends and takes a seat on the edge of the bed. Zion, who's wide awake climbs over his Mum and jumps on Peter excitedly. Peter is twitchy. He still doesn't look right after the Hogsmede attack a few weeks ago. He's just getting by.

Twenty three minutes pass. The boys exchange looks as a agonising scream can be heard from downstairs. Sirius is reminded of the crucio curse as the Lily's screams, remind him of his own. James can be heard telling Lily it's okay, as she sobs loudly. Then, silence. Complete deafening silence.

They all hold their breath, their hearts thumping against their chests as they wait to hear something- a newborn cry. Instead, they hear the sound of footsteps hammering up the stairs, the bedroom door flings open and James is stood there.

He smiles wildly, his eyes glinting with amazement, "ITS A BOY! His name is Harry! He's bloody great!"

"Boy!" Zion smiles, clapping his hands.

Sirius hugs James, "Good luck, boys are hell."

Remus smiles, a sadness in his heart for his own child. She was officially outnumbered, wherever she was. He plasters a smile on his face, something he was all too good at these days and shakes James' hand.

"Congratulations." He says as he claps James on the back supportively.

Pete stays seated on the bed, Zion sat firmly on his lap. His heart is still hammering against his chest, his head is spinning but he forces a smile.

"Congratulations." He says, shaking James' hand politely.

A boy.

James Potter has a son.

And oh god, Peter is going to have to inform the Dark Lord.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

444K 10.8K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
3.4M 118K 65
[ EDITING] James Potter was a skilled and talented wizard, his name a renowned one amongst Hogwarts students. Many knew him because of...
2.3M 79.4K 42
Featured in the official Wattpad @Fanfic Harry Potter Fanfiction reading list! -- When your mind is all you can trust, what happens when your memorie...
299K 7.8K 34
He looks up, and those hazel eyes pierce mine. I don't look away because the seriousness in his gaze holds me there. "Lily, I love you." *I do...