4.

One late evening, approximately two weeks since the full moon, the Mauraders are sat together in the common room. They're sharing a bag of sweets from Honeydukes as the rest of their house are sound asleep in the dorm room. Remus is reading a book about the laws and rights of werewolves, depressing himself with the expectancy of him once he leaves Hogwarts.

Pete is trying to catch Bertie beans in his mouth as James tosses them to him, but he manages to miss every single one. Sirius is lounging on the armchair, closest to the flickering fireplace just staring into it.

"Can't believe she's 22 weeks pregnant and we're still none the wiser!" James sighed, "I really thought my bet was right."

"What the one on Pete?" Sirius laughed in disbelief.

"You were study buddies with Kate for ages!" Pete suddenly says turning to face Remus, "How do we know you're not the Dad?"

"Nice one, Wormy!" James laughs, clapping him on the back, "Remus could definitely parent."

"I'm a werewolf, Prongs." Remus mutters, not looking up from his book, "We're not allowed children according to this."

"Oh- well that's just fucking absurd!" James splutters, "You'd be a great Dad, Moony."

Remus laughs, "Don't want to be."

"Hmm.." James thinks for a second, turning to Sirius, "Hang on! Didn't you say something about wanting to fuck Kate last year?"

"Now you're reaching." Sirius replies blankly, staring back at the fire.

"Imagine Sirius Black being a Dad." Pete snorts.

James and Pete start laughing, the idea of Sirius fathering a child was too funny. He was a ladies man and a notorious prankster, how would he ever be able to raise a child? Petes laughter sets Remus off, his snorts echoing around the common room causing Remus to chuckle. None of these boys could be a Father, none of them were mature enough for that especially Sirius.

Sirius continued to stare at the dancing flames, a million thoughts drowning out his fellow Marauders hysterical laughter. If he wasn't feeling so guilty, he'd probably have started to laugh too.

He thought about Kate, their first kiss in detention back in September. They way their eyes always found eachother in crowded rooms, pulling towards eachother by an invisible string. He thought about the sneaking out together, usually around the current time. The way they would meet up in the common room and escape to the prefects bathroom, running hand in hand and giggling all the way there.

Their situationship went on for four months, he never grew tired of her unlike the other girls. He'd called everything off with the other girls he was sleeping with, he wanted no one else but Kate. He had fallen in love quite quickly that he didn't notice until he face planted the floor. No one there to catch him.

Kate wasn't a whore like everyone had been making out. He was the whore, sleeping around and breaking hearts. Always fucking up a good thing, convinced he wasn't worthy of it. Sirius Black was her first and last. She had only ever been with him. There was no other potential Fathers.

Remus was first to notice the shift in Sirius' behaviour and stopped laughing, alerting James by awkwardly coughing into his book. James frowned, following Remus' eyes direction to Sirius. His laughter stopping abruptly and his wide smile fading as he slowly realised. It had been right under his nose all this time and it had never clicked.

None the wiser, Pete continued to chuckle to himself softly. James elbowed him in the ribs hard, Remus and James staring at Sirius intensely.

Pete rubbed his ribs furiously, "Ow watcha do that for?"