30.

TW: brief mention of suicidal thoughts- it's more of an insinuation but just want to warn people incase it's triggering. It's in the flashback part!! You can scroll past if you need, please look after yourselves!

"Zion! Stop doing that!" Sirius says sternly, crossing his arms and raising his eyebrow at his son.

Zion continues throwing the floo powder across the floor whilst staring at his Dad dead in the eyes. James stands behind Sirius, smiling and encouraging the child to cause havoc. Sirius none the wiser to the new mischievous duo.

"Uncle James will be really cross." Sirius says, shaking his head which causes James to start laughing, giving his location away.

"Don't make me the bad guy. I could never be mad at my perfect little angel." He grins, picking Zion up and swinging him around, "Sirius, clean up your mess."He says pointing to the floo powder on the floor.

Sirius glares at James as he exits the livingroom with Zion in his arms, but obeys regardless and starts to sweep the powder up. He realises how lucky he is that Zion can't actually use the floo network yet, a disappearing toddler was the last thing they needed.

Remus clears his throat as he walks into the living room, "Kate's making a cuppa if you want one."

"Erm sure, yeah. Thanks." Sirius responds awkwardly.

There was an obvious tear between them. They both tried to act normally after James' intervention and insistence that neither of them were the traitor but the trust was already gone between them. In fact, after the prank in sixth year, their friendship had never been the same and now the cracks were showing themselves more. They were more painstakingly obvious to themselves and those around them.

There was more to the story of Remus Lupin and Sirius Black, that neither of them ever discussed. No one else ever knew, not even James. It was a deep rooted secret that started the chain of events leading to Sirius' stupid decision. Leading to the end of the supportive, loving dynamic between them.

Flashback

Pete's snores fill the dorm room as he hangs off the edge of his bed, his chest rising and falling heavily. Sirius keeps smirking, not realising that his snoring is just as deafening. The music is thumping loudly from downstairs, making its way to the boys common room. James is still busy trying his luck with Lily, despite it clearly failing. Remus had staggered up the stairs, with a poor fragile Pete in his arms.

He hadn't realised that Sirius was up here on his own, staring out of the bedroom window and drowning his sorrows.

"What's up with you?" Remus asks, leaning against his bed frame as he rolls a joint.

"Nothing."

Remus rolls his eyes, "You're such a great liar, you considered acting?"

"Piss off." Sirius retorts, downing the rest of his beer.

"Sorry." Remus mutters, realising Sirius wasn't in the mood for bantering, "You need James?"

James was always the person Sirius needed. The abuse was bad, both Remus and Pete knew that much, but only James knew what happened in great detail. Sirius always climbed into James' bed when they were kids, they would cast a silencing charm and talk for hours. Pete and Remus sat on the outside, looking at each other knowingly.

Whenever Sirius started to creep back into the dark place, nightmares haunting him through the day as well as the night- it was always James that could bring him back to earth.

"No." Sirius sighs, "I..Remus? Can I ask you something?"

Remus nods, handing the blunt to Sirius and rolling another one, "Go for it."