The Box

By einsy1c

A random act of kindness can make a difference is someone else's life... More

intro
1. ballpen
2. snacks
3. party
4. wheelchair
5. coffee
6. pouch
7. Siegfried and Athena
8. workspaces
9. shoebox
10. birthday
11. Saturday
12. diary
13. trust
14. acquaint
15. adoption
16. beach
17. weekend
18. pasalubong
19. Sagada
20. wealth
21. allowance
22. surprises
23. new life
24. Pinoy in Canada
25. reconnecting
26. cuddle
27. emergency
28. clothesline
29. parents
30. charity
31. vows
32. extraordinary
33. concern
34. arrival
35. bottle
36. additions
37. gifts
38. memories
39. homecoming
40. blessings
41. tissues
43. stress
44. treasure
45. box

42. day off

100 13 3
By einsy1c

"Mom, kami na ni Ate Lyn ang bahala kay Niki." Bingbing said at breakfast. Although she welcomed this announcement, Maia was slightly taken aback because she would normally take Niki to preschool after bringing the elementary and middle school kids to their school. Chuck would take the high school kids with him while the eldest kids, Lynlyn and Bingbing, would ride with Ian to work.

This had been their routine since Sydney Clarice or Niki was born. Like with the twins and all her other children, Maia tried to be hands-on. As the children grew older, they learned to be responsible and caring for their other siblings. Today was the first time that Maia allowed the older children to take Niki to school.

"O, bakit ka tumayo na? Akala ko ba you're not feeling well?" Maia asked Chuck as she entered their bedroom after seeing the children off.

"Did everyone leave already?"

Maia nodded. "Oo, sina Ate na daw ang bahala kay Niki. I-t-text ko nalang si Teacher Jenna..."

"No need. I'm sure Niki will be fine..." Chuck said, taking Maia's phone from her hands and putting his arms around her.

"Anong ginagawa mo?"

"Hmm...you smell good..."

"Huh?"

Chuck started peppering Maia's neck with small kisses that sent tingles all over her body. She softly moaned and welcomed his advances. While kissing, Chuck slowly tried to unbutton Maia's blouse.

"Anong ginagawa mo?" Maia managed to say while pausing for some air, slightly protesting.

"The kids won't be home for a couple of hours." Chuck replied, peppering Maia's bare shoulder with more kisses.

"Wala kang meetings?"

"None. I took a leave. I also called the orphanage and said you'd be on leave today, too."

"Pero..."

Before Maia could continue, Chuck lifted her and carried her to the dresser where he peppered her with more kisses. Minutes later, he carried her again and brought her to the bed.

---

"Mommy..." Niki said sleepily while resting her head on Ian's shoulder.

"Hey babe!" Maia replied, caressing Niki's face. "Saan kayo galing?" Maia asked the older kids. It was already afternoon when they came home with Niki.

"Office" Lynlyn said while greeting Maia. She and Ian worked in the same building while Bingbing's office was in the next city. Niki's school was near Ian and Lynlyn's office. "Nag-text si Daddy na alagaan muna namin si Niki the whole day."

"I stayed with Kuya Nan kanina then I sleep in Ate Lynlyn's office" Niki reported. She then presented Maia with drawings she made.

---

This 'outing' was planned by Chuck in advance. He discussed details with the kids and even gave them some money to spend for food. The night before, Lynlyn already packed a bag for Niki and kept it in Ian's car. The younger kids were also given tasks so that they would not disturb their parents.

After dinner, the family usually spent some time hanging out together in their lanai. They would talk about their day or about their plans and schedules. At bedtime, Chuck and Maia took turns reading a story to the younger kids while the older kids did final checks on the home work of the middle and high school kids. After that, Maia and Chuck would tuck each kid in bed. Then they would say goodnight to the eldest kids.

"Goodnight Ate" Maia said to Lynlyn from the door.

"Goodnight. Ah Ma..."

"Hmm?"

"Gusto daw ni Niki mag-ballet tulad nina Paoie at Daday. Sinama kasi namin kanina nung hinatid namin yung middle schoolers sa ballet."

"Ah. Teka, ano nga ba ang ginawa nyo today?"

"Hinatid namin kanina si Niki sa school. Nung una, ayaw pa magpaiwan. Muntik na umiyak pero kinausap sya ni Nanan."

"Ows?"

"Opo. Tinanong sya kung anong gusto nyang treat pagkatapos ng school."

"French fries." Maia chuckled.

"Opo. With hot fudge sundae."

"Asus! Parehong-pareho sila ng Kuya nya."

"Si Nanan na rin ang sumundo sa kanya at nag-date sila sa fast food."

"Eh di na-hyper sa chocolate si Niki?"

"Slight" Lynlyn giggled. "Di na rin ata nakabalik si Ian sa office agad kasi nag-mall na sila."

"Oh no!"

"Buti nalang wala daw yung boss ni Ian. Nasa abroad."

"Eh kayo? Ikaw?"

"Hinatid sya ni Ian sa office pagkatapos daw nila mag-lunch"

"Ano naman daw ang kinain nila for lunch?"

"Spaghetti."

"Hmm." Maia nodded. She knew how much Ian doted on his little sister. He actually spoils her a little more than Maia or Chuck would. But Maia was confident that Ian knew how to take care of Niki given his experience with his siblings and working at the orphanage. "Anong oras na sya hinatid sa yo?"

"Mga 2pm na. Binihisan ko lang tapos nag-nap na sya dun sa staff room."

"Buti pumayag ang boss mo."

"Okay lang po yun. Dinadala din nya minsan yung anak nya sa office lalo na pag nag-d-day off yung yaya. Kung hindi bata ang nasa sa office, mga pets naman ng ibang ka-work ko."

"Ay!"

"Kanina, andun si Rocco, yung aso ni Trixie. Ayun, siya ang kalaro ni Niki."

"Kaya pala may drawing sya na may dog."

Lynlyn nodded. Maia thanked her for her update and said goodnight again before closing her door. Maia was about to enter Bingbing's room next door when the latter came out with an envelope.

"Mom..."

"Ano to?" Maia asked while opening the envelope and reading the letter. "OH MY GOSH!" Maia exclaimed loudly that the older kids and Chuck rushed out to the hallway.

"What happened?" Chuck asked.

"Bing..." Maia said while hugging Bingbing.

"Huh?"

"Dad"

"What?"

"She got into Stanford!"

"...on scholarship!" Rocky, one of the twins and a high schooler, said after reading the letter which he took from Maia while she hugged Bingbing.

"Oh wow! Congratulations! When did you apply?"

"My professor suggested it a few months ago. I also applied to other schools but Stanford was the first to reply." Bingbing explained.

"So, I guess we should practice calling you Rubylyn now." Chuck teased.

"Ruby is fine, Dad. That's what my friends and co-workers call me."

---

"Eh paano yung trabaho mo sa clinic? Alam na ba nila?" Maia asked later on. After congratulating Bingbing, the middle and high schoolers returned to the bedrooms.

"No pa po. Kanina ko lang natanggap yung sulat. Di ko sya binuksan until after dinner na."

"I'm so proud of you, anak!" Maia said, hugging Bing again.

"Let's call Popsy in Canada and tell them the good news." Chuck suggested. They then spent the rest of the evening until midnight in Bing's room.

---

"Mag-f-foster o adopt kaya ulit sina Mommy at Daddy?" Frankie asked his biological brother and roommate, Punch.

"Sana boy..." Totoy replied. The boys slept in one big room and the girls in another room. The three oldest children each had their own rooms. "Bakit gising pa kayo?" Totoy asked as he sat on his bed, rubbing his eyes.

They told him about Bing's good news and he, too, became excited. "Mag-a-adopt ulit sina Mommy?"

"Hindi siguro..." Rocky replied. "Matulog na tayo, late na o" he reminded his siblings, looking at the clock by his bedside.

"KJ talaga ni Kuya!" Totoy said while laying back down.

"Goodnight"

"Goodnight."

---

"Ate?" Patpat spoke.

"Hmm?" Stevie replied. She was at her desk fixing her school things.

"Paano mag-apply ng scholarship?"

"Bakit?"

"Gusto ko rin maging doctor tulad ni Ate Bing."

"Ah. Pag mag-eenroll ka na sa school, pupunta ka dun sa office para humingi ng forms."

"Hmm."

"Pero kailangan, ma-maintain mo yung grades mo para ma-keep mo yung scholarship."

"Ah."

"Ganito. I-check natin tomorrow. You can actually apply for a scholarship kahit naman dito lang sa atin e. It doesn't have to be in Stanford or abroad."

"Ah, sa States yung Stanford, diba?"

"Yes. Sa California."

"Disneyland!"

"Hmm!" Stevie chuckled. "Sleep na. Bukas na natin pag-usapan yung plano mong mag-scholarship din."

"Goodnight, Ate."

"Goodnight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322K 14.6K 41
Different worlds, Different circumstances, Fate brought them together, But will they remain there?
72.3K 4.2K 21
When and how are you going to steer clear from that one person you've loved for so long?
151K 9.1K 17
When life offers you second chances...do you take them? AU MaiChard
Run By FraeuleinM

Fanfiction

1.8K 221 18
Life was not how they imagined it. But if one door closes, another will open and you can find unexpected things... or people behind that door.