Voices From Within (Book 2)

By JulieGranger

Charlotte Randolph"s head throbbed as the carriage raced through the frigid cold night.Her tongue tasted the... More

Voices From Within - Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Nine

44 11 0
By JulieGranger

Chapter Nine

Last Will and Testament

When he reached the buckboard seat, Kaiser was sitting next to Charlie. She was bathing the dog with attention and cooing to him. Kaiser's tail beat in delight at the praise.

"Wait a minute. Kaiser move over. There is nowhere for me to sit."

Kaiser jumped off the seat to the floorboard as Reggie climbed into the driver's seat. Both Reggie and Charlie laughed at the situation. Charlie continued to pet the big dog sitting between them, and Kaiser was delighted to be going for a ride. He loved Charlie's attention.

As they rode back into town, they knew it was later in the afternoon. The sun glowed in the west as it settled into an array of colors for the evening's sunset. Reggie kept the news of his recent inheritance to himself as they drove along the road. He wanted to trust Charlie, but his experiences with women had taught him to be cautious and suspicious of their motives.

Reggie led the team to the edge of town where the undertaker lived. He knocked at the door of the Toby residence. Mr. Toby answered the door.

"Ivan Polansky passed away. I found him this afternoon," said Reggie, as the reality of the words continued to hit him.

"I knew it wouldn't be long. Ivan visited me in the middle of the month and made all the arrangements. Bring him in."

Charlie grabbed the quilt from the body, folded it, and laid it in the back of the wagon. The men carried the body into the home and set the body on the undertaker's table. When Reggie unwrapped the bedding that surrounded Ivan, Mr. Toby saw Ivan's blood-soaked hair.

"What happened?"

"He was murdered," said Reggie.

"Why? Oh, the poor man. Who would do such a thing?"

"You said Ivan stopped earlier this month to make arrangements? Why would he do that?"

"Ivan told me he knew he was dying. It was his heart," explained Mr. Toby. "He had seen a doctor in Harrisburg this fall."

"I knew he had become weaker this fall, and he downsized his cattle herd, telling me the steers were strong enough to survive the winter."

"Ivan paid for all the arrangements with strict instruction to bury him next to his beloved Martha. I won't be able to be buried until this spring. I'll store him for the winter in my cold storage."

Then Kaiser jumped on the chair near the table where Ivan was laying. He placed his paws on Ivan and then laid his head down. He let out a mournful cry of sadness.

Reggie walked over to Kaiser and looked at his friend.

"Don't worry Ivan. I'm going to find out who did this and bring the son-of-bitch to justice. I owe him that much."

Then he breathed a blessing and asked for God's speed and mercy for the man's soul. Mr. Toby allowed the two people in the world that cared for Ivan Polansky a few moments to say goodbye to their friend. Then Reggie left the undertaker's house, and Kaiser reluctantly followed his new master. Outside in the yard, Reggie took out several coins from his pocket.

"Oscar, see that boys get a few drinks on me tonight for all their help this afternoon."

"Thank you, sir. You are most generous."

Reggie drove Charlie back to the hotel. He jumped down and came around to help her down from the wagon. He felt her tiny waist as he hoisted her in the air and set her on the ground.

"Please join my father and I for dinner this evening at the hotel."

"What about your dinner party?"

"It is just investors and acquaintances of my father's. I am his dinner date. Please consider joining us."

He looked into her brown eyes and knew he couldn't say no.

"I need to see the sheriff and then stop at the bank."

"Is that what that letter was about?"

His eyebrow went up at her quick observation.

"Yes. Ivan left another letter at the bank, not knowing who would find him."

"Say you'll join us?"

"Yes. I would be happy to join you for dinner this evening."

"Thank you, Reggie."

She quickly kissed his cheek, and he could smell her perfume. Reggie blushed at her show of affection.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

Then Charlie laughed and ran into the hotel. Reggie stood on the street, smiling at her antics and sense of humor. Then he remembered those lips; lips that were meant to be kissed, often.

He left the buckboard parked in front of the hotel and walked to the sheriff's office. Kaiser jumped down from the buckboard and followed at Reggie's heels. When Reggie opened the door, Sheriff Davis was standing by the stove, refilling his coffee.

"Hello, Reggie. Well, Kaiser, what are you doing here?"

The middle-aged man knelt and allowed the dog to smell his hand. Kaiser licked his hand, and the sheriff petted the dog.

"Hello, Sheriff."

"Where's Ivan?"

"I brought his body over to Mr. Toby's this afternoon. I thought you should know."

"Oh, I sorry to hear the news. Were there any signs of foul-play?"

"He was murdered; he bled to death from a head injury," said Reggie as he handed the sheriff the brass poker.

The sheriff saw the dried blood on the end.

"It looks like the curled end of the poker went into the skull by the looks of the blood."

"I'm going to find out who did this to Ivan, and I'm going to kill the son-of- bitch."

"Hold on there a minute, Reggie. I can't have you taking justice into your own hands. Was there anything missing from the property?"

"I'm not sure. There seemed to be fewer cattle, but Ivan may have sold some steers to lighten his winter chores."

"Do you have the death certificate?"

"Not yet. Mr. Toby said he would take care of the arrangements."

Then Sheriff Conner sat down at his desk and pulled a file from his drawer.

"Ivan had been to see me twice this fall. Here it is. Ivan filed a complaint. He and Kaiser had chased off cattle rustlers. Three head were missing. And then about two weeks later, Ivan came into confess. He had shot and killed a man who was chasing his cattle out of the paddock through an open gate. Ivan brought the body to the undertaker. No one has come forward asking about the man, and no one has identified the body."

Reggie's anger had reached a boiling point. Ivan had been harassed and was a victim of cattle rustling. Why didn't Ivan tell him? That stubborn old man tried to handle everything himself.

"What are your plans, Reggie?"

"For now, I need to take care of the animals, and I don't know past that."

"Now. Don't you go off with a head full of steam trying to capture the man who killed Ivan. Killers usually reveal themselves by making a mistake, and that's when we will be ready."

Reggie remembered the material in his pocket. He pulled it out to give to the sheriff.

"I found this in the cabin. Actually, Kaiser found it. Lock this up for safekeeping."

"Well, what do we have here?"

The sheriff examined the quality of the cuff and studied the gold braid that had been torn.

"Kaiser, did you have anything to do with this?"

Sheriff Davis knelt and let Kaiser smell the fabric. His hackles went up as he growled.

"Kaiser knows who attacked Ivan. If you find the owner of the coat, we may have a suspect."

"I believe you're right."

"Where you alone when you found Ivan?"

"No. I was riding with Miss Randolph and her escorts to visit Ivan. They all witnessed the scene. Her men helped me carry Ivan's body."

"I will need their names as witnesses to the scene."

"I will gather the names and bring them over tomorrow morning."

"Sound good. I may ride out there and have a look for myself."

"Thank you, Sheriff."

The men shook hands and said their goodbyes. Reggie and Kaiser left his office and walked towards the bank. It was near closing time when he opened the heavy wooden door. He stepped up to the teller window and asked to see Mr. Johnson.

The young lady led him to Mr. Johnson's office.

"Come in, Reggie. What can I do for you?" said the gray-haired man.

"Hello Mr. Johnson. I found Ivan Polansky murdered in his cabin. I also found this letter stating there are some papers for me at the bank."

"Oh dear. How sad. Such a tragic end to his life."

Mr. Johnson took the letter from Reggie and quickly perused the handwriting. Then he sat in his desk chair and pulled open a bottom drawer. He removed a wooden box and opened it. He pulled Ivan's letters from the box and laid them on his desk.

"Ivan came to see me two weeks ago with strict instructions that you receive this information."

He sorted through the letters. They laid them side by side and the signature matched. The letters were identical. Then the banker hand him another letter, marked "Personal" for Reggie Thanturnam. The letter had a wax seal with the letter "P" imprinted on the wax. The seal had not been broken.

Reggie placed the letter in his vest pocket, knowing he would want to read the personal letter in private.

"Here are the papers to sign and the deed to the land. With your signature, I can transfer Ivan's accounts into your account and then close Mr. Polansky's accounts."

Reggie looked at the papers. He was 21 years old, and he had never seen such official documents. His hand was shaking as he dipped the pen in the bottle of ink. He signed his official name and dated the documents, January 3rd, 1803.

"Congratulations, Mr. Thanturnam. You are the proud owner of two hundred acres, free and clear. Ivan paid off his loan many years ago, and the taxes have been paid up to date. As far as I know, he didn't have any debts in town."

Reggie was in disbelief at his good fortune. He smiled when Mr. Johnson handed him the letters, papers, a ring of keys, and the deed tied with a leather string.

"Thank you, Mr. Johnson. I still can't believe it."

"You were good to Ivan, and he explained to me he trusted you, knowing you would make the right decisions to continue his legacy. He admitted to me you were like a son to him."

It took Reggie aback at hearing the words aloud. His throat tightened with emotions. He shook the banker's hand and gathered the papers. Then he sorted through them. He handed the banker a copy of the last will and testament and the deed.

"Put these documents in a safe deposit box for now. I would feel better knowing the papers are safe in case someone tries to challenge my ownership."

"Very wise, Mr. Thanturnam."

The banker brought out the keys and assigned Reggie a safe deposit box. Mr. Johnson gave Reggie the key to the box. The new landowner signed the card and paid the deposit fee. Then the banker gave Reggie an updated bank book showing the deposits in his account. Reggie's eyes popped open at the amount. The banker smiled and slapped him on the back.

"Congratulations, Reggie. As a new landowner, are you or your father going to the meeting tonight at the hotel?"

"What meeting?"

"Senator Randolph is meeting with landowners and investors. His staff members have been in Carlisle several times, always inquiring about land and the landowners. I don't believe their intentions are sincere."

Then Reggie realized. Miss Randolph was Senator Randolph's daughter. This put a whole new light on their relationship. When he left the bank, he met Mr. Berman and greeted him.

"Hello. Reggie. Is Mr. Johnson still here?"

"Yes, he is, Mr. Berman."

"Tell your father hello from me."

"I will."

The new landowner walked over to his horse tied at the end of the buckboard. He placed the papers in his satchel He climbed aboard the buckboard. Kaiser jumped up onto the floorboards and then onto the seat next to Reggie.

He steered the wagon to the carriage house behind the hotel, knowing he was going to spend the evening with Miss Randolph, the Senator's daughter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 4.6K 16
I'm working every waking hour. You'd think that smuggling would pay better, but nothing has been easy since the war. I can't go on like this. I need...
378 47 15
Daniel has not seen Maddie in ten years. The last time he saw her he pushed her into a mud puddle and then stormed off. What could he say? The girl r...
2.8M 42.1K 99
Six months ago, Nathan's sister was brutally murdered. Now the former playboy desires only one thing: revenge. Late at night, Nathan trudges down th...
461K 11.5K 49
Warning! This story contains sensitive topics. ** I looked into his dark eyes and saw, what I once naïvely thought, was innocence. ** "Please!" she c...