Voices From Within (Book 2)

JulieGranger

Charlotte Randolph"s head throbbed as the carriage raced through the frigid cold night.Her tongue tasted the... Еще

Voices From Within - Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Two

55 17 1
JulieGranger

Chapter Two

Tristan Albright

After three days of packing for a week-long trip to the rural countryside, Charlotte was ready to go on an adventure. Her father picked her up early that morning on Wednesday. The caravan left the Winthrop estate after they said their goodbyes.

They were taking two carriages because of the Senator's aides, plus there were five groomsmen whom Charlotte thought was excessive. Oscar rode in front on Charlotte's black mare, Belle, with the white stockings. Then the Senator and his daughter, along with Mr. Baldwin, his aide, rode in the first carriage driven by Giles.

Her father's aides, Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Willoughby, and Mr. Albright, rode in the next carriage, driven by Bentley, followed by Jenkins and Piper, who rode horseback for protection. It was a beautiful morning; the air was crisp, and the sun shone brightly as they pulled away from the city. They weren't over two miles out of the city when her father brought up the subject of marriage.

"My dear, we need to talk about marriage. You are nineteen, and you need to be considering choosing a young, successful man to marry."

"Oh father. Please, not that again. I have met no one I would even consider marrying."

"I understand you have not accepted many invitations for this year's season, and you have not chosen a date for Juliette's party."

Charlotte looked at him and wondered how he knew that information.

"Mother and I accepted some invitations, and how did you know that I have not chosen a date for Juliette's party?"

"My dear, you forget you are my daughter, and I make it my business to be informed, even if you and your mother are no longer living with me."

"How much did you pay the servants to spy on me?" asked Charlotte with annoyance in her voice.

Senator Randolph ignored her question.

"Charlotte, I want to see you well matched and married. It is up to you to carry on the Randolph's name. I want to live long enough to know my grandchildren."

Charlotte blushed as he spoke of children and marriage.

"Father, please do not set me up with anyone this season. Allow me to make my choice."

"No. I do not want you to become an old maid. You are far too beautiful to waste your youth. I want you to get to know my new assistant, Mr. Albright."

"No father. I do not want you arranging dates for me. Remember what happened last year with Geoffrey?"

"He was a very fine young man with great potential in politics."

"Father, he was a very nice young man, well mannerly, but his teeth were so bad and when he laughed, he sounded like a braying mule. I just couldn't get past those annoyances."

"Charlotte, please used this trip to get to know Mr. Albright. He has great potential to rise in the political party. The two of you could be married and moved in with me. I miss you at home, and I desperately need you to bring life back into our home."

His eyes pleaded with her, and she looked at her father, realizing that this was the real reason he wanted her to travel with him. It was not to spend time with her but to have her suited to a man of his choosing.

She looked out the window and ignored his pleas. Her father had been a handsome man in his youth, but at forty-five, he was losing his hair. He had a paunch stomach and a bulbous red nose now from his excessive drinking.

There were no similarities between her and her father. She had inherited her beauty from her mother, who had beautiful long black hair and porcelain white skin. Charlotte's skin was olive in complexion and her brown eyes she now realized she had inherited from her real father.

She removed her mirrored compact from her reticule and looked at her face. Charlotte looked into the mirror with curiosity, wondering what her real father looked like. She wiped the moisture from her eyes.

Charlotte rode in silence as her father and Mr. Willoughby discussed business. She paid no attention and stared out the window, feeling trapped and lonely.

Three hours into the trip, the drivers pulled the carriages into a roadside inn to rest the horses. Mr. Albright opened the door and her father introduced her to his new aide.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Randolph," said Tristan Albright as he offered his hand to assist her as she stepped out of the carriage.

Charlotte had to admit he was handsome. He had blond hair and blue eyes. His manners were impeccable, and he carried his tall frame with dignity and confidence. Mr. Albright escorted her into the inn and turned out to be a delightful conversationalist.

The small party enjoyed beef stew and fresh bread, along with pints of ale for lunch. It was a charming lunch, and everyone was in good spirits. Her father even seemed relaxed as he joked with his aides.

The inn became crowded as more traveling parties came through the door. Mr. Baldwin took care of the bill and made the innkeeper sign a receipt for the accountant's record. The horses had been rested, fed, and watered.

When Charlotte entered the carriage, Mr. Albright joined them. Senator Randolph had climbed into the other carriage to discuss private matters with his other aides. Once they were on the road again, Mr. Albright pulled a wrapped box from his pocket.

"For you, my lovely lady," said Mr. Albright as he presented Charlotte with the gift.

"Mr. Albright, this is very nice of you, but you didn't need to buy me anything."

"Please call me Tristan."

"Thank you, Tristan," said Charlotte as she untied the ribbon and opened the box.

"Chocolates," exclaimed the Senator's daughter. "How delightful"

She selected one and offered the confections to her father's aides.

"Sweets for the sweet," said Mr. Albright, as he smiled at her delight.

The gift of candy broke the tension, and the three of them enjoyed a lively conversation as they continued the journey to Carlisle. Tristan entertained them with stories, making them laugh.

Charlotte felt herself drawn into his charm as she smiled and laughed at his antics. Mr. Willoughby yawned as the carriage movement rocked him gently into a slumber. He laid his head back and closed his eyes, knowing there still were three more hours until they arrived in Carlisle.

Charlotte and Tristan giggled as Mr. Willoughby snored quietly. Then Tristan moved to the empty seat next to Charlotte as he slept.

"Miss Charlotte, your father tells me you need a date this season. I would be honored if you would allow me to escort you to your cousin's party and any other social event during this season."

"That is very kind of you, Mr. Albright. I mean Tristan. I have not made plans for this season, but I will consider your offer."

"Well, I'm hoping that during this trip, you'll get to know me better. I am a wonderful dancer, and I promise not to step on your toes."

His comments made Charlotte giggle. He was tall with a lovely smile and his cologne smelled inviting. Charlotte found herself letting down her guard as they visited about the social season in Harrisburg and which restaurants they liked. The miles went by as they visited.

It was late in the afternoon when the small entourage pulled into Carlisle. Charlotte looked out the window at the small town, which was located at the crossroads with well-traveled roads in all four directions. She saw a large stockyard and smelled the butcher's shop. There were houses of all different sizes and shapes showing both poverty and wealth.

The carriages pulled down Main Street and stopped in front of a large hotel. Charlotte looked down the street and saw businesses that lined both sides of the street for three blocks. Freighters with their buckboards and riders filled the street as the locals went about their errands.

She and her father were received like royalty at the hotel. It was a beautiful hotel and the smells from the kitchen made their mouths water as they stood in the lobby. Marge, the hostess from the dining room, showed them to their bedrooms.

The older woman stayed with Charlotte to help her unpack and hang her gowns in the armoire. She was grateful for the assistance, and she gave her a tip for her help.

"If you need anything, you let Marge know."

"I will. Thank you."

After the woman left, Charlotte opened her toiletry box and removed a pen, paper, and ink. She wrote a letter to her mother to let them know they had arrived safely. She also told her to fire the new servant, Jolena, that her father had hired to replace Maria. Her father had accused Maria, a long-time servant of her mother's, of stealing. Looking back, Charlotte realized that losing Maria as her maid was the final straw for her mother.

Her mother's words rang in her head, "Don't trust him." She finished the letter and knew she could not let her father know she planned to post a letter. Charlotte set the letter aside until tomorrow morning when her father would be busy with meetings.

A sly smile formed on her lips as she dressed for dinner. She felt empowered putting an end to the spying on her and her mother. Charlotte felt two can play the game. It gave a surge of confidence as she locked her room and joined the men downstairs for supper.

* * *

The Senator's entourage enjoyed a delightful meal of beef, roasted potatoes, and green beans with freshly baked buns. They served an apple cobbler with cream for dessert. The men enjoyed their drinks, and Charlotte drank red wine with her meal.

Tristan Albright never left Charlotte's side as he entertained her with stories of his travels before coming to Harrisburg. She laughed at his antics and found him charming as well as handsome.

"Miss Charlotte, you look absolutely radiant this evening," said Tristan in a low voice as his arm rested on the back of her chair.

"Thank you, Tristan, but I'm afraid it is the wine that has put a glow on my face."

He laughed at her sense of humor. In his eyes, Charlotte was the most beautiful young woman he had ever seen. As he drank his whiskey, he had to remind himself to remain the true gentleman, especially in front of her father.

After her third glass, she refused the fourth and asked her father to be excused.

"Of course, my dear. I have an important meeting tomorrow afternoon, so what are your plans for tomorrow?"

"Riding. Isn't that what you promised me if I came on this trip?"

"Why, of course, my dear. But I want you riding with an escort. I do not want you riding alone in this treacherous rural countryside."

"I would love to accompany Miss Charlotte tomorrow with your permission," said Mr. Albright.

"No, Tristan. We have an important meeting tomorrow afternoon, and I need your help."

"Oscar can ride with me. I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Take Oscar, Jenkins, and Piper. I don't want anything to happen to you while I am in meetings."

"Yes, father. Now, if you will excuse me, it has been a long day."

"Of course, my dear," said Senator Randolph as he rose from his chair.

He kissed her cheek and told her goodnight.

"Allow me to see you to your room safely," offered Tristan.

"Thank you, but there is no need. I will leave you men to your political discussions."

Charlotte turned and rushed out of the dining room to the large wooden staircase. She had seen the crestfallen look in Mr. Albright's eyes at her rejection of his offer. When she unlocked her door, she felt the effects of the wine despite the enormous meal.

She locked her door and enjoyed the solitude of her finely furnished room. Charlotte undressed from her traveling clothes, donned a warm nightgown, and wore her wool socks to bed. Within moments of laying down, Charlotte was asleep, curled under the quilts. She dreamt of handsome, daring men, but Mr. Albright never entered her dreams.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Captive Sunni

Про оборотней

7.2M 215K 47
"I need to go," I mumbled. Before I could take another breath, he had me pinned against the wall. "You aren't going to move another inch," his voice...
Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer Demelza Carlton

Детектив / Триллер

2.8M 42.1K 99
Six months ago, Nathan's sister was brutally murdered. Now the former playboy desires only one thing: revenge. Late at night, Nathan trudges down th...
Turned Into One afy812

Про вампиров

86.9K 3.5K 39
Highest Ranking #18 In Vampire. Completed |✔️| My eyes shot open as I breathe heavily trying to regain the loss of breath. Sitting up from laying do...
Remembering His Name: Book 2 Brooklyn.

Художественная проза

72.7K 2.4K 43
"You know that I care about you." He says, taking my hand. Walking through the door, I was pulled along beside him. Standing up tall and straight, in...