Sauvage | Jeon Jungkook

Galing kay tjunglebook

"No private conversations in my company, Ms. Carlson," he says coldly, making me gasp silently at the accusat... Higit pa

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Final
Epilogue
Reflection

Twenty-Five

16.4K 917 1.1K
Galing kay tjunglebook

I stare out the window at all the other skyscrapers and the sun, my hands linked behind my back. I have a meeting, but Kiyara hasn't announced Ethan's arrival so I guess he's not here yet. Glancing at my watch, I notice that our meeting should start in five minutes.

Something about him infuriates me. I've never really been fond of him, but since our company regularly works with his father, I don't exactly have a choice. I would rather Christian Stan come to these meetings himself instead of sending his son.

It's not like he's ever done anything to me. It's probably just the way he takes business deals lightly and that's something I don't like. He acts too close like we are friends, acquaintances. When in fact we are nothing more than business partners.

I do like his father, though. He is a hard-working man and also good at what he does. He has helped our company a lot, but it seems that age doesn't care much for him anymore. And Ethan is the heir to his golf equipment company. They helped us through our difficult times and for that I will always be grateful.

I step away from the window, now heading for the door. Leaving my office, Kiyara reports to me that Ethan has already entered the building, so I wonder if he got stuck in the elevator or something. Walking down the hallway, I decide to check on him because I have another meeting after him.

It doesn't take me long to spot him at the end of the hallway, leaning against a desk. He's talking to Mikayla and she's smiling at something he seems to be telling her.

I'm guessing he's talking about one of his golf weekends or whatever. That's something a lot of rich suck-ups seem to do, with their polo shirts and too-tight golf pants.

Something is boiling inside me and I find myself getting closer faster than I had planned.

"I see you're already here, Ethan," I say, causing him to stop talking in the middle of his sentence. He looks over at me and I can feel Mikayla's eyes on me as well. "I've been waiting for you."

He looks at his wristwatch. "Oh, you're right." he laughs. "Mikayla and I were too engrossed in our conversation."

My jaw clenches and I let my tongue slide along my inner cheek. Mikayla looks away as my eyes fall on her. I know it's Ethan's fault and not hers because I know she's diligent and meticulous.

I wonder if they are seeing each other and just thinking that makes my fists clench. Has he asked her out on a date? I bet he has. Did she like it, did she have a good time?

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't distract my employees during work hours," I say coldly and see him roll his eyes in amusement at that. But I'm not joking.

I glimpse back at Mikayla to catch her reaction to this. She bites her lower lip, clearly feeling bad. I always find a way to make her feel bad with my insensitive way of phrasing things. I hope she didn't take it to heart.

That ruby lipstick makes me stare longer than is appropriate, but I can't take my eyes off of it.

She took the day off yesterday and I'm guessing it's because of her mom. She could have taken the whole week off and I wouldn't have had a problem with it. After all, health is the most important thing in this world and I don't want her constantly thinking about her mother while she's at work.

I break from my trance when Ethan's voice rings out. "Shall we start the meeting you've clearly been waiting for then?" he asks and I nod.

"Mrs. Blue has arranged the conference room for us," I announce and already start to walk away, expecting him to follow me. I hear him whisper something to Mikayla, but I can't make out what he's saying. Not that I care if he's talking trash about me.

In the conference room, I hardly wait another minute and we immediately start discussing the topics we had agreed on before. His company needs new slogans and advertising posters for the new golf season and as business partners for years, they have of course chosen Jeon&Park this time as well.

We talk about every detail, but to be honest not much has changed from the last ads we made for them. The meeting, therefore, doesn't last too long and after just an hour we both step out of the conference room again.

As we walk back through the hallway the way we came, I see Ethan looking around. And not just looking around, but particularly looking around for a specific person. His desperation makes me roll my eyes, but I realize Mikayla is not at her desk.

"I guess I'll see you around then," he says as a goodbye and I nod before walking away.

Back in my office, I reply to the rest of the emails I didn't get to. I open one of those and as soon as I see another complaint, I forward it to Jimin. There is that one company that keeps giving me trouble and I am about to cut off ties.

After working on other things, I decide to get a second coffee. The seats are mostly empty, but considering it is lunchtime, it's normal. I make my way to the kitchen when I then hear someone complaining while using the printers.

Mikayla faces one of the printers, typing on the touchscreen as she examines the machine from all angles, but nothing happens. She scratches her head, her pouty lips moving as she fights under her breath.

"Do you need help?" I ask, stepping a little closer.

She jumps, clutching at her chest and grabbing the printer with her other hand so she doesn't fall. "Good lord!"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I apologize as I see her take a deep breath.

She smiles and turns back to the printer. "No problem. It's just..." she lets out a sigh. "I've been trying to send this fax for ten minutes, but it's not working."

"Let me have a look," I say, now stepping closer. She moves aside to give me room and I start fiddling with the printer.

Looking to my left for a brief second, I see Mikayla watching me intently and curiously as I try to solve the problem. The scent of her hair fills my nostrils and when she notices me looking at her, she apologizes and takes a step back.

"Someone forgot to reset the settings after using it," I explain, pushing a few buttons. "I guess some people don't know how to be considerate."

"Straight fax," she comments, her giggles reaching my ears. I stare at her and her laughter fades after a few seconds. "That was a terrible joke."

No, it was fucking hilarious.

"Anyway, thank you very much, Mr. Jeon. I'd be standing here the rest of the day if it wasn't for you."

"You're welcome," I mumble, pushing my hair back. She stares at me and I take that as a sign that she doesn't need me anymore and turn to leave.

"Actually, Mr. Jeon." I hear her call and I stop in my tracks. She steps closer after I turn around. "I um... I wanted to thank you for the other day. You know, for taking me to the hospital in all the hassle that I know you had."

"It's not a problem. I couldn't have let you drive by yourself," I say.

"Not everyone would have done that." she tilts her head to the side a little. It's subtle, and she does it unconsciously. "I appreciate it very much. So I thought of another way to thank you properly."

I shake my head, but maintaining eye contact is getting harder by the second. "I don't know what you were thinking of, but it's really not necessary."

"It is. Have you had lunch yet? I know a place, or rather a food truck, and they make bomb rice bowls. Honestly, I've never had anything better." she starts babbling and I don't mind a bit. "I'm buying. Or are you busy?"

My stomach growls at the mention of food and I realize how long I haven't actually had anything. Truthfully, I need to talk to Jimin about some issues. "I'm not busy," I say instead.

I like how grateful and generous she is for wanting to take me out to lunch. Also, it doesn't escape me that she doesn't care at all about the aspect of me being her boss. It's refreshing to see someone treat me like a normal fellow human being and not constantly suck up because I could fire them at any second. Not that I do that for no valid reason.

"Great. Should we leave after I finish sending this?" she asks, her big eyes looking up at me.

"Yeah, I'll go get my stuff," I reply, and she nods.

I grab my wallet and phone from my office, sending a quick message to Jimin to let him know I'll be out. I'm kind of nervous, but that's because I don't know how Mikayla and I stand.

Yes, I took her to see her mom at the hospital, but so much happened before that and we didn't really talk about it. However, she didn't seem to have any problem with the fact that she will be having lunch with me practically alone.

Maybe it's time for us to move on.

Walking back, I notice Mikayla already waiting for me, her purse slung over her shoulder. She has that familiar smile on her lips that radiates throughout the room, and I feel warmer the closer I get.

She smiles even bigger when I reach her and we head for the elevators without speaking any more. Usually, Mikayla is always the one to initiate conversation and I throw in my opinion every now and then. I don't mean to seem like I don't care what she says. I just like listening to her.

"Where is this food truck you were talking about?" I ask as she pushes the button to the first floor.

"Oh, it's not far from here." she says, "It's about a twenty-minute walk."

I draw my eyebrows together and nod. My gaze falls on the heels she's wearing, and I know immediately that she's going to get blisters if we walk there. And back.

"Let's take my car," I say instead and press the button that takes the elevator to the underground parking garage.

The ride goes by like a stream, as Mikayla keeps the atmosphere engaging with the things she talks about. I don't know where she always finds a topic to chat about, but it's definitely better than her being quiet.

When I drove her to the hospital and she had a panic attack, I couldn't focus on anything and it's something I still think about. Seeing a person so enthusiastic and in good spirits crumble hit me. Luckily her mother wasn't injured too badly.

Mikayla directs me and soon we reach the road by the river where there is a big truck parked with "have a rice day" written on its roof. I park the car on the side of the road and we get out together.

"Oh, I'm so excited." Mikayla enthuses and her eyes and smile have doubled when she spots the truck. Then she looks up at me as I come to her side. "I hope you'll like it."

The smell of food fills my nostrils and I nod. "I'm sure I will. You picked it out."

She smiles again and we head toward the truck. Surprisingly, it looks very modern and clean for a food truck, with the silver grill and counter presenting fresh vegetables. A woman and a man are inside the small mobile kitchen and they smile when they notice us approaching them.

"Hi, what can I get you two?" the woman asks and Mikayla looks up at me as if waiting for me to order first.

"You go first." I gesture with my hand.

She nods, not questioning further, and orders a bowl of rice with tofu, peanut butter sauce, and vegetables. It feels overwhelming because sometimes I feel out of my depth when ordering something I've never eaten before so I go with the safest option and have the same as her. Only I switch out the tofu with chicken.

"Oh, can I have extra guacamole please?" the gleam in her eyes when Mikayla says that makes me smile on the inside. Frankly, her appetite makes me happy.

I know Mikayla offered to buy, but I still can't let her pay. So I take my wallet out of my back pocket and reach for my credit card, which I then hand to the woman. She stares at the card and then at me.

"Sir, we don't accept credit cards." she points out apologetically, and I hear Mikayla gasp beside me.

"Mr. Jeon!" she snatches the card from the woman's hand and presses it against my chest. "I said I'll pay." she looks offended, but the expression on her face is rather endearing than intimidating.

"It's no big deal, Mik— Ms. Carlson." I clear my throat.

She ignores me. "And it's a black card, too!" she steps closer and whisper-shouts. "Are you trying to get us kidnapped? I'm too young to die for money I don't have."

"What even—" my sentence is interrupted as the man who prepared our bowls announces that our food is ready.

Mikayla's demeanor changes in a split second and she thanks the couple before handing me my bowl and carrying two wooden spoons wrapped in white cloths. She pays with a few bills and we start walking away from the truck, finding a bank not far from my car where we sit down.

The rice bowl sure looks unbelievably delicious, but I haven't had such a gigantic portion in a long time. Mikayla watches me, curiously waiting for me to take the first bite. The taste of the peanut butter sauce and chicken melts on my tongue and I nod.

She has a satisfied look on her face after seeing my reaction and digs in herself. The sun shines on our faces and I squint my eyes as I glance over at her.

"What did you mean earlier when you said we might get kidnapped?" I ask randomly.

"Sometimes there are weird people around here and I didn't want anyone to get any funny ideas," she says, laughing shyly. "You know me, I like to blow things out of proportion."

"You should be careful if strange people are hanging around," I remark. "It's not safe."

"I'll be fine." she looks up at me. "I watch true-crime series and sometimes they influence me."

I'd be lying if I said that didn't surprise me. I picture her watching these shows at night with a pack of chips on her lap and a smile on her face.

"And I suppose you watch horror movies too then?" I ask after I've finished chewing.

"Horror movies? No, never," she replies. "I know true crime documentaries can be brutal, but jump scares and a demonic nun chasing me? No, thank you."

"That kind of makes sense," I agree, and she nods knowingly. Her cheeks puff out and she covers her mouth with her hand. We sit in silence for a few minutes. "How's your mom?"

She sets her now empty bowl down between us. "She's doing better. She even scolded me for not going to work yesterday so I could check on her."

"I'm glad she's feeling better," I mutter, now tossing the last piece of chicken into my mouth.

"Thank you so much. I appreciate you caring." she smiles that warm smile that always makes me stare. "My parents are very important to me and I always panic when something happens to them."

I press my lips into a firm line. I wish the relationship between me and my parents was just as good, but there's no remorse on my part.

"They are very kind people and they deserve the best. You are a good daughter." I don't know what in me drove me to say it, but the words slide over my tongue without any forethought.

She looks down at her feet and her smile changes the tiniest bit to something sadder. "My childhood friend's mother said at the time after the accident that my parents must have done something in their lives to get a punishment like that."

I frown angrily at that. How could anyone say something with that attitude? "Did you believe her?" I ask cautiously.

She shakes her head. "I don't think so. You know, bad things happen all the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad person."

She falls silent and after a few minutes, she peers over at me. Mikayla is a spirited person, but I can see underneath all the layers of joy how much is tucked away inside her. There is so much to unfold, so many things I want to know her opinion about. How the world looks through her eyes.

When she talks about serious things and morals, her voice changes. She sounds so much more mature, a bit of huskiness giving her voice charisma. A whole new character.

"What are you thinking about it?" I finally ask.

She hums. "Maybe it's to see whose kindness is genuine. I know some events force people to change, but if one bad thing makes you hate the whole world, then..."

She shrugs her shoulder and doesn't finish that sentence of hers, but I know exactly what she's getting at. I've never heard her talk like that before and I swear it has changed my view of the Mikayla Carlson I thought I knew.

I give her words a few minutes of silence and try to process them. There is some truth to it and it makes me think about my life. Am I a sincerely kind person? Or have I lost the real me somewhere along the way because I've given up hope that good days will come?

I didn't intend for the conversation to get so serious and deep, but I forget everything we talked about when Mikayla looks back at me. She squints her right eye so she can watch me in the sun and her red lips are curved into a tight-lipped smile that I can't help but stare at.

Maybe I should have crossed the line that night.

____________________

A/N: KooKayla 🫶🏼🫶🏼🥹🥹🫠🫠

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

363K 16.4K 15
"Fine", you said rolling your eyes and groaned, "you really think I fall for your gentleman behaviour?" "I don't know", he said smirking playfully...
544K 12.5K 46
"Do you know where i can apply for a job?" "Yeah i have a friend who needs an employee if thats ok for you?" "You'll be my personal assistant" "What...
19.9K 1.2K 65
"Scholarship girl." Yoongi tilted his head, did he talk to you? Scholarship girl.. he had to mock you like that? "If you don't learn to speak for you...
396K 14K 24
"Come here" tae patted his lap whilst ordering the younger. "N..no " "Ohh you're scared of me pup?" Jungkook nodded. . . . . . Warnings will be g...