Sparks

By chickenflavors

What would you do if you were told to save your soulmate from a dreading future? Claude Harris's encounter wi... More

Chapter 1: "... she's my soulmate?"
Chapter 2: "I'm Joy, by the way."
Chapter 3: "... She always hated this day."
Chapter 4: "Grow up, Harris."
Chapter 5: "... It's not a crime to watch a theatre."
Chapter 6: "... Always causing trouble."
Chapter 7: "How's your day, Joy?"
Chapter 8: "... a special place in my heart."
Chapter 9: "We will be knows as legends!"
Chapter 10: "... it seems I forgot."
Chapter 11: "How could you..."
Chapter 12: "... stop blaming yourself."
Chapter 13: "... I'm at Joy's."
Chapter 14: "She's crazy."
Chapter 15: "... what she's capable of..."
Chapter 16: "She's awfully close today."
Chapter 17: "I hate you."
Chapter 18: "it's a date then."
Chapter 19: "... I need you to keep it a secret."
Chapter 20: "It must be difficult for you ..."
Chapter 21: "you don't fuck your friend's ex."
Chapter 22: "show them how it's done."
Chapter 23: "how can you be this perfect?"
Chapter 24: "fate is a strong word."
Chapter 25: Set the bond, Claude
Chapter 26: "This isn't your typical truth or dare."
Chapter 27: "Don't fuck it up."
Chapter 28: "the play is about her life."
Chapter 29: "I love her, your Highness."
Chapter 31: "My nerd."
C̶̻͇͙̝̉h̡̪̣̜͎̰̉͗̓ȃ͍̗̬̦̖̥͍͂͠p̧̖̯͙̣̔t̢͍̪̱͙̭̺͚̩̚̚e̸̜̦ͧ͐̿r̩͕͙̦̽̑̀?̲̫̪̻͔̲̍͗́̀ͅ
Chapter 32: "Because he loves her?"
Chapter 33: "You've made her life miserable."
Chapter 34: "I'm just curious."
Chapter 35: "Do you have a praise kink or something?"
Chapter 36: "I've never been better after spitting on that asshole."
Chapter 37: "is there any chance to be my girlfriend?"
Chapter 38: "You're so fucked, Lydia."
Chapter 39: Saturday.
Chapter 40: "What's the meaning of this, Jocelyn?"
Chapter 41: "Shut up, shut up. Shut. Up!"
Chapter 42: "I haven't said I loved him, Dion."
Chapter 43: "... You deserve to know."
Chapter 44: "If I don't leave Martin. Will I die?"
Chapter 45: "There was no Us from the start."
Chapter 46: "Stay with me, please."
Chapter 47: This is how our story ends.
Chapter 48: Or is it?
Author's Note.
Aftermath.

Chapter 30: "good job, Jocelyn."

1.4K 81 3
By chickenflavors

JOY'S P.O.V

Anxiety,

Nausea,

And fear.

Those are the feelings I've felt all day, and I feel happy when it ends. All day, I have been making sure the props are appropriate for every scene, I make sure the audience would enjoy the play, and I make sure to give a good impression to my father.

When Lydia blackmailed me with a picture of Martin, I was scared. I didn't know what to do, and I should have told Claude when she blackmailed me. I already set the script to fit Lydia but manage fucked it up. I hope she learned her lesson.

Now I'm having dinner with my family- and Claude is coming too. I know if I bring someone, my father wouldn't scream in front of the guest.

I was relieved to know Martin left early because he had a 'test' tomorrow, and I'm sure it's a booty call. I hate to say this, but he doesn't need to study because he's brilliant. No wonder he went to Harvard.

I sat next to Claude with my brother, and Emilia sat across us. My father sat in his usual middle. They had pasta tonight except for me. There was silence until my father spoke, "Jocelyn," my father said. Just by one word that successfully intimidated me.

"Yes?" I look up from my food to my father.

"I want to talk about the play," he said. Oh God, here comes the storm, "I thought it was interesting."

"I think so, too," Dion joined, and Emilia nodded in agreement.

"Interesting?" I repeat his word. I heard Dion's opinion on my play, but I was focused on my father's statement, "what do you mean by that?"

It was weird for him to say it was interesting because he doesn't support my passion, or I guess he still is, and that's why he only thinks it's interesting.

"I was thinking about Martin's assumptions," my father said as he stopped eating his food and looked up at me, "he said that the play reflected on your life. Is that true? Why do you think it's a good idea to put your life in a play?"

I felt my hand tremble. I know he's mad because he always does. I thought if I stood up for myself, it would stop me from being scared of my father, like back in my brother's graduation.

Fuck...

What should I say?

"If it takes to make a good story, yes," Claude answered on my behalf.

My father looked at the girl next to me with his eyebrows raised, "Looks like you have something to say? Go ahead," my father said.

Thank God, I said to myself.

She took a deep breath before speaking, "You see, your daughter has an interesting life, and she saw the opportunity to make a fantasy based on her life- in a good way. Am I right, Joy?" she said as she looked at me with a smile.

"Uhm- yes. Definitely."

She looked back to my father as he took an interest in her remarks, "also, your daughter has been keeping her life a secret from everyone at her school, and I thought that this is one of the ways she conveys her life to her friends. You should know by now the character based on who," Claude stopped her sentence and let my father continue.

"The King is me, Prince Leo is Martin, Princess Aurora is Jocelyn, and Philips- I have no idea," my father said, his eyes narrowed at me. It's like he's trying to read my mind.

Who is Philips?

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't figured it out. Anyone who could save me from this arranged marriage deserves to be my Philips.

"I have an idea who, but I'm not going to tell you," Dion said as he hid his smile. Emilia nudges Dion's arm, which shuts him up.

"Despite the characters being based on real-life, it's only a fantasy. It doesn't mean Joy would get shot or even Martin would shoot anyone," Claude said, joking. Although, he will shoot anyone who goes in his way.

One time I got caught with my old boyfriend. He almost killed one of them. He always addressed himself as my second brother. Older than me but younger than Dion.

"I hope he won't do that," My father said as he took a sip of his wine, "what do you think of her life?"

She turned her attention to me as she observed my existence, "she's like a locked chest, and once you opened it, you were not interested in the value of the treasure. You were interested in the background of each treasure.," I saw her smirking at me, "What makes her special is that she's engaged at such a young age- not that I'm judging and she's also keeping her life a secret from anyone. Once I got her to speak about her life to me, it was like I had unlocked something inside me."

"And that is?"

"I feel like I was, for once, useful to anyone," Claude said, leaving my father baffled. He nods at Claude in understanding.

Then, the following sentence that came out of my father's mouth made my body stiffen, "good job, Jocelyn."

I look carefully at my father, "What?"

"Do I need to repeat myself?" My father asked and furrowed his eyebrows, "you have exceeded my expectation. No wonder your story was good. You got the perfect help for it," he said as he looked at Claude.

I felt myself smiling like a creep as I thought my cheeks must be getting red now. I saw Dion smiling at me as he was also as happy as I was, along with Emilia.

I never thought to hear it straight from his mouth.

I have exceeded his expectations.

I'm not going to ask what his expectations were because I want to enjoy his praise for once.

I saw Claude's hand grasp my thigh and smiled. She understood I'd reached a milestone with my father.

Praise.

Something that I rarely obtained from my father.

Then I heard footsteps coming, and I saw Ben whispering to my father's ears. Once he was done, my father regained his attention to us, "I was informed that there's a blizzard right now. I suggest you stay for the night because I don't think the guest can drive at night."

Claude widened her eyes at the news, "I don't mind driving at the nighttime."

"It's a blizzard, Claude. The snow will cover the roads, and they won't clear the road at night," My father said.

"That's great! We could continue your studies from where we left off," Dion said.

"Studies? You're teaching her?" my father asked.

"Yes, I am. Is that right, Harris?" Dion said as he raised his eyebrow at Claude for an answer.

"That's right. I am studying physics with your son, Mr Wayne," Claude said as I tried not to laugh. I wonder what they're doing whenever Dion takes her to 'study.' I don't believe that they're studying physics because, if I recall, she likes calculus.

"Good then, you have yourself occupied here while it's storming outside," my father said, and for a moment, he continued to speak, "anyway, I'm hosting a White Elephant party, and I was hoping you would come? I just thought teenagers of your age should have a lot of acquaintances."

Dion choked on his food, and I choked on my water. Did I hear that right? Why is my father inviting Claude to his White Elephant party? This party that my father always held every year was a big business party. It was well known among billionaires.

"Are you serious, father?" Dion asked my father, and he nodded.

"Why not? Emilia, you can also come if you're not busy with your schedule. Martin is also coming," my father answered, "how about this. You'll come to my White Elephant party- that is in three days. And we'll come to your father's new year eve's party. I will invite my friends who are looking for a decent house."

Claude was stunned before I nudged her ribs, pulling her back into reality. She blinked a couple of times and pulled out her hand, "Yes. I'll come to your White Elephant party."

My father smiled at her and shook her hand. After finishing his food, he wiped his mouth using a cloth, "I'm going to my study room so you kids can do anything but bother me. Have a good night, everyone," he said, standing up from his seat, "one thing. Claude, you don't mind wearing a dress, right?"

I saw Claude blink a couple of times. I don't think she's the type of girl who is comfortable wearing a dress, "father, I don't think she wants to-"

"I don't mind," Claude cuts my sentence.

"Good. The dress code is white. Make sure to come," my father said and left.

I was baffled by my father's gesture. He's never been this nice before with strangers. Well, consider Claude a stranger because they've never talked before. I've known him my whole life, and he's always been the cold CEO who always looks intimidating without struggling.

It's not like I don't want her to come. Jesus, I love it when I'm around her.

Can't wait to see her in a dress.

"What's up with him?" Dion asked in confusion.

"I don't think he has ever been this nice to anyone he just met," Emilia asked as she creased her eyebrows, "remember the first time I met your father?"

"Yeah, you were so intimidated by him that your body trembles," Dion recalled his memory and laughed, "anyway. Let's go, Harris. We need to dig up your brain and insert physics until your head explodes."

"Where?" Claude asked as she finished her food.

"We have a man cave," my brother stood up and pulled her by her shirt. As they left Emilia and me alone, we laughed at their silliness.

I wouldn't think Claude would be fond of my family. What if I bring my friends here to meet them too? Will they receive the same like this? The question is, when? When will I finally let anyone enter my life? I've welcome Claude with open arms, and maybe I'll give it a try with Rebecca first since she's my best friend.

"I'm sure you have something to say to me," Emilia asked me while wiggling her eyebrows.

"About what?"

"Her," she answered.

Of course, she wouldn't let this one slide. Emilia and I have a good relationship. I thought my sister-in-law would be a bitch like in the movies or books, but she's not even close to being a bitch. She's like an angel, worth protecting. I've always wanted a sister, and she gave me that. I don't usually talk to my brother about how I feel towards particular people, but I feel comfortable talking with Emilia.

"She's what?" I asked with the edge of my lips rising in confusion.

"Oh, come on. I can already tell she's not a regular friend from how you always take her anywhere with you."

"That's normal-"

"Do you find me with a friend for a family occasion?" Emilia asked me, and she knew I'd say no, "no. I always take your brother with me because he's my boyfriend."

"I don't follow," I narrowed my eyes at her.

Emilia shook her head and chuckled, "either if she's your girlfriend or you sleep with each other with no string attached."

I wiped my mouth with a cloth as I finished my food, "Don't you have to save humankind from illness?"

"Doctors need a rest. We're not a robot," the edge of Emilia's lips rose, "come one, you can't say she's just a friend."

I rolled my eyes as I finished my water, "It's... Complicated."

Emilia grew interested, "nothing is more complicated than a human brain."

"I can't tell you just yet. But if I feel anything towards her, you'll be the first to know."

"Promise?" Emilia's smile grew wider.

"No promises," I said as I brought my finger up.

***

Damn, chapter 30 already?!

you better vote!
-Chicken

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 14.3K 27
Neve, a lonely girl surrounded by people, but no one knew the truth. The truth people have died to protect. It's too dangerous for them to know, and...
284 91 25
They say life is a gift. You're supposed to smile and be grateful. But there comes a time when you realize that living a lie is no way to live. And w...
516K 18.9K 38
{CURRENTLY EDITING (hopefully) ALL GRAMMATICAL ERRORS} Rosa Conner is from the Cresent Moon Pack is 16 years old and is childish in every way she lik...
Soulmates By Venus Nex

General Fiction

2.7K 56 36
In a world where soulmates are something everyone has, Callie and Harper have circumstances that differ from the norm. Callie always knew her soulma...