The Good Family

By ItsYysabelleEe

In this piece, you will be able to see what a perfect, joyful, and blessed family looks like. Let's see why t... More

Welcome 馃
The Beginning 馃
Growing up 馃
Sweet Success 馃
Graduation 馃
Celebracion 馃
What a Day 馃
Irene's Day 馃
Tita Mommy 馃
Continuation 馃
Acts of Kindness 馃
Casual Day 馃
Piece of Art 馃
Anuncio馃
Quick Trip 馃
Imeldefic馃
Old Photographs馃
Empresa馃
Unforseen 馃
Flee 馃
Errands 馃
Episodes馃
Invited 馃
Los Angeles ?
Prep 馃
Infante 馃
Noche Buena 馃
Siblings 馃
New Year 馃
Momentos 馃
Bloom 馃
Besties 馃
The Return 馃
Secure 馃
ARA 馃
Amable 馃
Jealousy 馃
Disculpas 馃
Proclamation Rally 馃
Uniteam 馃
Bulacan 馃
Noticias 馃
Perd贸n 馃
Ava 馃
La Catedral 馃
Descubrimiento 馃
Sobreviviente 馃
Ecuestre 馃
Activista 馃
Talento 馃
Extranar 馃
馃
Compartir 馃
馃
Unica Hija 馃
H茅roe 馃
Reuni贸n 馃
Pap谩 馃
Generaci贸n 馃
Supper 馃
Miting De Avance 馃
Miting De Avance .2 馃
Continuation 馃
Mother's Day 馃
Elecci贸n 馃
Mansi贸n 馃
El Triunfo 馃
Despu茅s 馃
Agridulce 馃
Elegido 馃
Unity 馃
Ocupado 馃
Triste 馃
Inauguraci贸n 馃
Finalmente 馃
Apo Lakay 馃
馃
M煤sica 馃
Imprevista 馃
馃
Miedo 馃
Apegada 馃
Creciendo 馃
Evolucionando 馃
Vida 馃
Temor 馃
Ni帽a 馃
Bazar 馃
Homenaje 馃
Alegr铆a 馃
Apreciar 馃
Monarca 馃
El Fin 馃

Terno馃

638 17 1
By ItsYysabelleEe

~~

Irene and Yara were invited to the event of the Cultural Center of the Philippines and BENCH in its very first-year celebration of TernoCon a Terno-making convention and contest. A special show featuring Terno created by 30 contestants from Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao and the award-winning collections of  Terno by JC Buendia for Luzon, Cary Santiago for the Visayas, and Len Cabili for Mindanao.

Irene with her daughter went to her friend who is going to make their Terno a few months ago, and it finished earlier than scheduled, so they are all set for the event they are going to be attending today. They didn't even hire a professional to put make-up on them or even someone to fix their hair since they wouldn't want to put too much product on their faces and want it to look as natural as possible, and Irene likes to let her daughter do her make-up because Cara, Michael's wife, and Xandra have taught her how to do so and get to observe at a young age.

Irene's terno is a combination of golden yellow and dark green, whereas Yara prefers hers to be calm to the eye, thus her hue of choice is simply a natural palette that highlights her skin complexion even brighter.

"Irene, ito na yung mga Filipiniana ninyo, na steam na din yan. "
Irene: [smiled] Great! Thank you, Nana!

"Patingin nga Alana, ang galing talaga mag make-up nitong alaga ko."
Yara: [trying her best to speak Tagalog] Is mom, maganda na, Nana?

"Oo naman, sobrang ganda, Irene"
Irene: [confident] Of course, my makeup artist is so galing kaya and the only one I can entrust my face with. [winked at Yara]

Nana assisted them in changing their clothes and repairing the backside of Yara's terno a little as it had a tiny hole that was not noticed when it was being made but was eventually patched. Greggy entered their dressing room, where his wife and daughter were in there.

Greggy: [speechless] Oh wow, look at these lovely ladies of mine.
Yara: Daddy! [turned around]

Greggy: You're so stunningly gorgeous, hija, [cradled his girl] and mi amore, you're still the most beautiful in my eyes [kissed his wife]
Yara: [mimics Irene] Naks! So corny, Dad!

Irene: [poking fun] Bolero ka talaga Araneta!
Greggy: [smirking] I'm not lying when I say you both look beautiful tonight.

Irene: Look at your daughter, she is absolutely beautiful, stop growing my love, please? [pleading]
Greggy: No need na for makeup koala bear, you are naturally beautiful. [smiled proudly]

Yara: Aww, thanks, mom and dad.
Greggy: Your suitors in the future will need to go through daddy, your two older brothers, your uncles, and cousins ​​first... [raises his brows]

Irene: [teasing Greg] The question is, are you ready for what you're saying Araneta? Because I don't think I will be ready for that.
Greggy: Of course not, our unica hija is still very young, and she is the only girl among our children, so she is precious to all of us. [tightly hugged his daughter]

They finalized their prep and will depart at any time on their route to the event venue. While Greggy was taking pictures of his wife and child together, he was also snapping pictures of Yara to send to his sister Patricia who is repeatedly requesting Yara's photo to see their beloved and favorite niece. They said their goodbyes to Greggy and left early to make it to the event on time. A star-studded evening for many of the invitees were well-known personalities in the country, including some of Irene's friends.

When they arrived at the CCP, Irene was approached by her acquaintances in the lobby of the cultural center, everybody was greeting each other, talking about their Ternos and how proud and excited they were at this celebration that proved the rich diversity of Filipino culture and talent.

Margie: Irene! [beso] Hello, dear Yara, you look exactly like your mother tonight. [beso]
Yara: Thank you, Tita Marg!

Irene: Congratulations on your event Marg and Ben
Margie: Thank you, Irene, hope you will enjoy the program later.

Tessa: [energetic] Look who's here, the ever-gorgeous Irene Marcos Araneta, hi girl!
Irene: Oh wow, hello lovely girl! [beso]

Tessa: [surprised] And the super sweet little girl of yours Irene.
Yara: Hi Tita Tessa! [beso]

Tessa: Yara dear, the genes! you are drop-dead gorgeous hija.
Yara: [shyly replied] Oh wow, thank you, Tita Tessa!

Lucy: Irene! [elated]
Irene: Lucy, it's great to see you tonight! [beso]

Juliana: Hi Tita Irene [beso] the little girl is here [joyful] am super happy you attended tonight. [beso]
Yara: Hi Tita Lucy and Ate Ju! [smiled] You look super pretty in your ternos.

Lucy: Yar, you're growing beautifully really, you used to come to our house and play with your Ate Juju when you were little. [sweetly holds Yara's hand]

Irene: [reminiscing] Playing hide and seek with Juliana pa.
Juliana: [chuckles] And all she does is laugh until her cheeks turn bright red, super cute Yara!

Yara: I remembered that Ate Ju! [smiling]
Juliana: Where will be sitting later, mama?

Lucy: I think at the front row, what about you guys?
Irene: Likewise, but I do know we are on opposing sides.

Yara and Juliana told their mothers to smile for the camera, and Yara snapped a picture of her mom in her terno and sent it to her dad.

At 7:20 guests are asked to enter the Nicanor Abelardo (Main Theater) to formally begin the program and the parade of the most elegant and modern designs for the classic terno created by the amazingly talented people with the most renowned designers in the various parts of the Philippines. Most entered the main theater, as well as Irene and Yara were surprised to see Xandra, she came in cocktail chic, wearing a laidback look.

Irene: [surprised] Xandra! [signaled] Right here.
Xandra: Hi Mom and sweetie! [beso]

Yara: Glad you made it Ach, take a seat na.
Xandra: [breath out] Yes, I did, and Luis said he'd keep an eye on Thiago while I'm here.

Irene: How is Thiago? [worried]
Xandra: He's fine now, Mom, and his fever has subsided na.

"For her opening remarks and the Cultural Center of the Philippines President, Mrs. Margie Moran Floirendo"

~~
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is special and exciting as we witness for the first time here at CCP main theater over 90 Ternos created by designers from all over the Philippines. There are no other garments that strongly reflect our history and culture and our nation's dress. Through its evolution, it mirrors the political and social changes that happened in the Philippines.

Suddenly, the Terno has lost its significance to the Filipino people in recent years. Most people think that it is only for special occasions or just mere costumes for celebration. This is the TernoCon, a project of CCP and BENCH that aims to encourage the use of the Terno as a more respected and prioritized form of dress and to educate the insiders about its history and proper construction. The CCP through its cultural exchange department has been facilitating and supporting various projects that preserve, promote, and develop the Philippine Arts and Culture all over the country.

Indeed there is a real talent and genuine enthusiasm in the artists and designers in the regions. The CCP, other government institutions, and private organizations must reach out to these talented artists and provide them with opportunities and support to let their artists shine on the National level. TernoCon is a fitting venue for our regional designers to be recognized for their passion, for their excellent works while at the same time contributing to the preservation and promotion of the Terno.

We wish to send our appreciation to our generous partner BENCH Mr. Ben Chan. The CCP Kaisa sa Sining Region Arts Center support this project would not be possible, we also wanna extend our gratitude to Gino Gonzales, the artistic director of TernoCon, to all the mentors and fashion designers JC Buendia, Len Cabili, Cary Santiago, and Inno Sotto for sharing their knowledge and lending moral support to our contestants.

Thank you as well to all members of the project team, from CCP and BENCH for diligently working on this project for almost two years. In many varied ways, we can all continue to champion the Philippine National dress, to all the finalists and winners of TernoCon, congratulations, and Mabuhay. Maraming Salamat at Magandang gabi sa inyong lahat."

~~

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Margie. To begin the parade of ternos, a cultural performance will be performed by the Manunubli ng Sinala "

Yara: [curios] From which town are they from, mama?
Irene: They're from Bauan, Batangas

Yara: So their dance is a religious folk dance?
Irene: [amazed] Yes, baby. You're very observant talaga, so galing, and they called that dance Subli

Xandra: This is their Balintawak Entry [clapped]
Yara: Look, [pointing] that one looks like the Sarimanok

Xandra: Oh yes, the mythical bird Shob!
Irene: Ladies, do you know that the design is digitally printed?

Yara: And the alampay as well
Irene: That one naman is a Talaandig pattern

Xandra: Loved the beaded gazar terno-jacket
Yara: It separates the cocktail dress

Yara: Oh, gold canvas in leaf!
Irene: The leaves create triangular shapes in the butterfly sleeves

Yara: What print is that, mama?
Irene: That's Tartan taffeta.

Xandra: On a solid red, pleated gazar
Yara: I think that's inspired by Bougainvilleas

Xandra: Vinta colored gazer
Yara: How kaya they assemble the strips

Irene: They did that by hand.
Yara: [stunned] Oh wow really!?

Irene: Look at that! It is a peacock feather
Yara: From the bodice and butterfly sleeves of the Terno

Xandra: And the turquoise stretch tulle, wow! [in awe]

The Balintawak entry was finished and the Male Ensemble Nine accompanied by the Philippines Philharmonic Orchestra sang to allow the models time to switch their Ternos

The entries for TernoCon's Formal Terno Category are beginning to be showcased by various models dressed in various designs.

Yara: I can wear that pantsuit terno.
Xandra: that Hablon is from the Visayas, I guess

Irene: Yes correct, embellished with iridescent paillettes
Yara: The hint of ochre to the panuelo is super ganda.

Irene: Another pantsuit terno and it's a vintage crochet
Yara: Oh wow, that must be so hard to make [flustered] Mom, look! From Ilocos fabric!

Irene: Oo nga, that's from Vigan naman.
Xandra: Mindanao's famous malong! The patterns are so distinct

Irene: A bubble skirt flares at the bottom a tradition of Ramon Valera and his contemporaries
Yara: Pina-jusi

Xandra: With gold embellishments
Irene: Shards are formed to create feathers

Yara: Oh wow! Tamburin jewelry from the 1800s [dazed]
Xandra: [blown away] Oh my gosh, Shob! You know that? You're so galing.

Irene: I just told her that too Xandra [smiling proudly at Yara]

Not only do the arts and culture love the family, but so do ethnic dances; Yara was the most thrilled when it was time for the Ramon Obusan Folkloric Group to dance.

Irene: [overjoyed seeing Yara's smiles] Look at this little girl who is enjoying the performance right now.
Yara: [awestruck] Oh my gosh, mama, I enjoy their ensemble and their performances!

Xandra: You are really happy, sweetheart! [chuckled]
Irene: She is! [took a photo of her daughter's reactions]

"TALANG SILANGAN" BY LENI CABILI (MINDANAO)

Len's love for the rich heritage of the Philippines began as a child growing up in lligan City in Mindanao. She fondly remembers visits to her family home by the Maranaos in all their finery and her exposure to different indigenous peoples, she founded Filip+Inna in 2010. The label aimed to work with indigenous groups around the country, taking inspiration from its various traditions of weaving, embroidery, and beadwork. Len is a leading ambassador of "slow fashion" in the Philippines, her collaboration with the artisans and their indigenous cultural traditions serves as a starting point for her. Len puts Philippine craft forward and infuses it with a freshness that makes it effortless and desirable. It is her wish to do the same for our national dress

Yara: Wow! The intricate and sophisticated embroidery
Irene: That's called luhol on a contemporary ensemble, my love

Xandra: What's that pattern, Mom?
Irene: Tausug pattern, if am not mistaken

Irene: Yar, do you remember when we went to South Cotabato?
Yara: Yes, mommy. That terno is from there?

Irene: Yes! That's the traditional blouse of T'boli called Kegal Nisif
Yara: I bet this is a manually created pattern, mama.

Xandra: The contrast of pants and floral embroidery
Yara: [stating facts] Tausug are known for both their strength and femininity

Irene: My little girl, you are really into arts and culture, you got quite lots of Lola Meldy's galing and fondness of all this stuff.
Xandra: [agreeing to Irene] I second the motion, Mom. I am super amazed by you Shob, how can you be 15 years old and super knowledgeable about all of these?

Yara: I guess I got it from Mommy and Lola. [giggling]

Irene: Pinya fabric, from Laguna
Yara: Look, Tita N's accessories

Irene: Oh right! They collaborate on the Okir pattern and the Maranao
Xandra: The model is Ms. Tweetie with the designer.

"JESSICA" BY JC BUENDIA (LUZON)

JC Buendia is now widely known as the go-to designer of past presidents because of his clean lines and impeccable tailoring. His clothes are also recognizable for their restraint and ability to portray a woman, who means business. At the Ternocon, JC brought with him this very important object to illustrate the precision of the craft of making butterfly sleeves. He also spoke about his approach to the streamlined design, which served as a counter-proposal to the baroque sensibilities of many young designers. He stressed shape over decorative elements, and the "less is more" adage as his guiding principles. JC addresses the wearability issues of the terno head-on by creating separates for his collection. His very congenial and positive demeanor also permeates his ternos with his easy spirit. He hopes that a younger generation of Filipinas will wear the terno as well.

Irene: That's embroidered in a traditional Sampaguita motif
Yara: And Inabel fabric with marigold yellow

Yara: You can wear that necked terno top mom and Achi
Xandra: That's beautiful actually [nodding]

Irene: That's a good terno paired with an Inabel A-line skirt
Xandra: Look at that sorbetes bag! So cute

Yara: I instantly remember Pinkerton tho [giggling]
Xandra: [smiled] Yeah, me too!

The whimsical bags from Zarah Juan, inspired by Sorbetes cart, the Kalabaw (water buffalo), and the Philippine Jeep

Yara: Mom, can I have these bags? [beseeching]

Irene: [beaming] I will ask JC later love if they can make one each for you.
Yara: [ecstatic] Yay! Thank you, mama! I will give to Achi the Sorbetes cart for Pinkerton [giggling]

Xandra: [touched] How sweet of you Shob! Thanks!

AVIARY COLLECTION BY CARY SANTIAGO (VISAYAS)

Cary had humble beginnings. His mother, who was a dressmaker, gave his initial exposure to clothing construction. He started work for an RTW line at the age of 18. Cary was eventually brought to the Middle East by an investor, who was very impressed by his talent and the way he took care of clients. He remembered how he had done some of his most complicated creations under that label. Cary became synonymous with intricate cutwork, complicated fabric manipulation, and sculptural garments. Cary hopes that more senior couturiers will share technical knowledge with aspiring designers. He continues to mentor younger designers like John Herrera, who has reciprocated by teaching Cary how to make the terno's butterfly sleeves.

Irene: Cary's Aviary Collection
Yara: So much lacework, just wow! [amazed]

Xandra: [in awe] Look at the forms of birds in flight
Irene: That's hard to manipulate like the textile

Yara: It needs a skill for that to do!
Irene: Most of his designs are always have to do with birds

Yara: [recalling] I think it's because he won a grand prize in a fashion design contest here in the Philippines, I think the entry is entitled "Pag-asa" which it's a celebration of the first Philippine eagle-bred in captivity and a continuous surge of clients wants it na.
Irene: And that made him stay in the country for good to have an unbridled creative outlet here

Xandra: [amazed] That's nice to know, thank you two for the trivia!

The winners were announced, and their names were called to accept their prizes, which were presented and given by Margie and Ben. Yara remembers her Lola Imelda, who was well-known for her love of Filipiniana, which she always wore back then until the present time, as well as some, refer to as "Queen" Imelda's uniform.

Yara: Only if Lola were here tonight, she would indeed appreciate these ternos and how absolutely beautiful those creations were.
Irene: She catapulted the iconic Filipiniana dress onto the global stage with blazing determination back then.

Yara: That's why she got her nickname "The Iron Butterfly."
Irene: Thanks for the elegance and grace of the Filipiniana butterfly sleeves

Yara: I think mama, it's no secret that it's all in the sleeves like when it sits perfectly on your shoulders, the wearer simply oozes pure confidence, feminine fierceness, and indescribable power.

Irene: You've got it right. In a Filipiniana, butterfly sleeves are very important. You know, you astonished me with your knowledge earlier this evening. You are without a doubt your Lola Imelda's granddaughter, I love you, my love. [kisses her daughter's cheeks as she caresses her face]

The event had ended, and as Irene exited the Main Theater and talked with her daughter, a few people asked and took pictures together with Irene, while Yara stood off to the side, waiting for her mom. Xandra was ahead of them because her son was sick and needed to return home right away.

As the two are about to leave they come across some of Irene's friends and talk for a while and take a picture together, Yara receives a text from her dad

Daphne: Hi Mrs. Araneta!
Irene: Dear Daphne [beso]

Daphne: You know Ma'am, I did not recognize your little girl, she grew up such a sophisticated young lady.
Irene: [flattered] Aww, thank you! Am glad nga she did make payag to be my date tonight

Tessa: Irene, come! Let's take a photo together, will post it later.
Irene: Sure Tessa!

Yara: [volunteered] Hand me your phone Tita Tessa, will capture you two.
Tessa: Thank you, dear Yara, for taking our picture with your mom

Yara: [winked] Sure thing Tita Tessa

Yara: [whispering] Mommy, daddy texted. He's outside waiting.
Irene: [bobbing] Oh alright, love. Let's go na.

Yara: While you were talking to several people, I met with Tito Ben and congratulated him.
Irene: Really!? The man who is a dreamer and dream maker to many people

Yara: [appreciative] He is indeed a patron of the arts too, always moving and shaking and using his influence to not only awaken Filipinos to love locals.
Irene: But also heighten and preserve Filipino craftsmanship.

They exited the CCP and then saw Greggy waiting for them in their car. On the way back home, Yara told her dad countless stories about the beautiful creations of the designers on the ternos, and Irene was just as happy to listen to her daughter, she added that she can't wait to show her beloved Lola Meldy the pictures and videos from the event earlier.

Yara's POV
The earlier event was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. There was a quiet elegance about it unpretentious, hushed, and so full of heart. Filipino songs sang acapella, the poignant music from the orchestra, masterful direction, and a parade of beautiful clothes. An event curated to perfection, intimate, meaningful, a celebration of our culture and its rightful place in the arts. It makes one so proud of the work of the Filipino. The CCP was an iconic and perfect backdrop. And the star of the night, the terno, beautiful, regal, steeped in history. As I lay my head on my pillow tonight, I carried in my heart this knowing that in a world full of flaws and imperfections, there are many ways to better the country by using what we do best as a platform. Tonight was beautiful, as it was inspiring.

~~

PS: This is by far the longest chapter I've written in this book, but I was able to enjoy and appreciate our culture and undeniably so beautiful and the diversity of arts and culture in our country is so rich, just wow! Hope you learned something and like it as much as I do, thanks for reading, and see you next week! 🦋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 1K 52
It's all about a seemingly perfect family everyone can dote upon but behind it can you call it once again a Home when it did once break you all apart...
9K 670 12
When Greggy had an accident, Saoirse Maryella Vivianne Louise Araneta is forced to stay with her mother, Irene, who she hasn't seen in years. The ten...
91.2K 2.4K 45
Maria Victoria Irene, the last born of the Romualdez-Marcos family, is peacefully living her life being the "quiet one". Until one day, Gregorio Mari...
7.7K 252 17
Maria Irene Celestina Marcos, the youngest daughter of President Ferdinand Marcos is in a secret relationship with Engineer Leandro Silayan. How wil...