Aikatsu Crescent! BRIGHTEST☆S...

By GrandPrintemps

When one lunar phase ends, another begins. Meet Kazami Usagi! An up and coming idol who along with her friend... More

「Phase 93」Believe☆Aikatsu!
「Phase 94」Like A Star Fragment
「Phase 95」Bubbling Feelings
「Phase 96」Clashing Hearts
「Phase 97」Mission: Get To Know
「Phase 98」Brilliant Star
「Phase 99」Beyond the Galaxy
「Phase 100」Into the Forest
「Phase 101」Primary Meteor Shower
「Phase 102」Vivid☆Smile
「Phase 103」Unique Charm
「Phase 104」 Poppin' Step ♪
「Phase 105」Forest Of Memories
「Phase 106」The Prism's Wish
「Phase 107」Solar Eclipse
「Phase 108」Stella
「Phase 109」Blossoming Love
「Phase 110」Runway to Stardom
「Phase 111」Golden Wings
「Phase 112」Burn Bright, Superstar
「Phase 113」Vibrant Feelings
「Phase 114」A New Era
「Phase 115」Mint and Lilac
「Phase 116」The Rabbit on the Moon
「Phase 117」Illuminating Breeze
「Phase 118」A Divine Stage
「Phase 119」Unexpected Happiness
「Phase 120」Where I Belong
「Phase 121」Our Own Light
「Phase 122」Bubblegum Stage
「Phase 123」
「Phase 124」That Marionette, Now Freed
「Phase 125」The World I See
「Phase 126」Who I Am
「Phase 127」The Number One "Saki" In The World
「Phase 128」Surpassing Myself
「Phase 129」A Seedling In Christmas
「Phase 130」Song For You
「Phase 131」Together
「Phase 132」To the Ends of the Earth
「Phase 133」In Pursuit of Perfection
「Phase 134」Brand New World
「Phase 135」Redefine Yourself
「Phase 136」STARBOUND
「Phase 137」Even if my Wings Disappear
「Final Phase」To a Distant Rainbow

「Phase 138」So I'll Never Stop Believing

35 4 3
By GrandPrintemps

A/N: Hi! I just want to warn you that this chapter is double the length of the usual chapter, being around 7500 words. It would have been nearly impossible to split into two haha. So get comfy before you start reading!

I hope you enjoy. I wrote this chapter with a heart full of hope and "thank you"s.

I know I say this every time, but really and truly, thank you for listening to the words my soul have poured out into this fic.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"Soon the flower of happiness will bloom, and the moon is shining too!"

The music finished and the five held their poses, heavily breathing. Their muscles were aching and sweat was dripping down their faces. Usagi quickly glanced at Sachiko, who was staring them down with a sharp eye. It hadn't taken the five long to realise just what the rose of Rosebud Academy could be like when she was serious. Often barking out instructions and dishing out icy stares whenever she was dissatisfied with their performance. It was a pretty common occurrence for them to have to do it from the top again (sometimes without even Minori, as she'd have to rest once in a while) and the group was becoming more and more agitated.

Yet also, determined.

Sachiko smiled.

"That was good."

They froze. Then, their expressions lit up and they all turned to high five and hug those beside them.

"We did it!"

"You'll still have to work harder if you want to ensure you can bloom in these conditions," Sachiko said. "But at this rate, it's looking possible. Good work."

"Thank you so much!" They all exclaimed, bowing. They turned back to each other.

"I'm so tired... I feel like I've done a year's worth of practice in just a few weeks," Minori said, stretching.

"Me too..." Hikaru agreed.

"We're really doing this, aren't we?" Claire asked and Usagi nodded.

"Yep. And it'll be our greatest live yet." She grinned. "Won't it?"

"Only if you keep working hard," Sachiko said. "You do understand how difficult it will be, right?"

"We do."

She smirked. "Then get back to practice."

Reluctantly, they returned to their positions.

Then, the door opened and a certain pink-haired engineer was standing in the doorway.

"Onee-chan!" Usagi exclaimed and Mai gave a small wave in return.

"Is it okay if I borrow them for a second?" She asked Sachiko. "The outfits are ready."

Once again, the group lit up. Aside from an awkward session of measuring themselves, they had yet to hear much about the outfits they'd be wearing for at least the beginning portion of the performance. They didn't even know who this mysterious designer that Mai had contacted was. Originally, they had guessed it could have been the top designer for Pastel Macaron, but when Saki approached Shiraishi Ai about it, she seemed busy with other projects. After all, most Aikatsu designers were busy creating backup plans for if the system wasn't reopened to the public.

When they walked into the room, a rack of five dresses was waiting. Each in a pastel variant of a different colour of the rainbow and each like a mini, slightly more casual princess dress. They had varying sleeve lengths and accompanying white tights and flats in their dress' signature colour.

"Pretty..." Usagi whispered, placing her hand over her heart. They were cute, with a certain regalness to them that wasn't completely overwhelming.

Her heart... was pounding.

Then, someone gave a soft chuckle.

"Why, thank you," a largely unfamiliar voice said. It was smooth and warm, that sounded just as regal as the coords before them. Usagi turned in the direction of the voice, where a teenage girl with long brown hair and sky blue eyes stood. She wore a sailor-style school uniform with a cardigan thrown over and stood with a certain air of elegance around her. For as ordinary as the girl had clearly attempted to look, one glance was enough to inform them she was not ordinary at all.

"Did you design these?" Usagi asked.

"I did."

"They're really good!" she continued. "I'm Kazami Usagi, a first-year at Celestial Academy."

"I'm aware. With Mai-chan's help, I did some research about all five of you to help me design," she explained. She gave a gentle smile. "Oh, I should introduce myself, shouldn't I?"

The other four turned to her, anticipating the grand reveal.

"My name is Aino Rina. I'm the top designer of Crystal Ribbon - nice to meet you all."

For a second the room was silent as three of the five idols froze.

"Nice to meet you, Aino-senpai," Usagi said, paying no attention to her friends' reactions. Hikaru nodded.

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

Eventually, after a prolonged period of silence, Usagi turned to her friends. "Guys? Isn't it rude to-?"

Slowly but surely, Saki turned to Usagi and gripped onto her arm.

"You do know who she is, right?!"

"...Huh?"

"Remember when we met Kizuna that one time?" Claire asked.

"Kizuna...? Oh, when Saki died?"

"I did not die."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Usagi continued.

"Aino Rina used to be the third member of their unit," Claire said. "And arguably the most influential of them all."

"Eh?"

"It's not even arguably," Minori protested. "She was the top idol for multiple years in a row and was the Celestial Star for two years straight before Hinode-senpai took the crown!"

"She's the idol who inspired the idols who inspired you," Saki added, pointing at eclipse. The two were watching from afar with amused expressions.

"Eh?!" She turned back to Rina, then to eclipse, then to Rina again. "Really?"

In response, Rina simply chuckled again, which only launched the five into further chaos.

Mai giggled. "Seems like things are going well."

"We can only hope things can stay this way."

"Yeah..."

"At the very least, they've improved a lot. It might be possible..." Sachiko whispered. She smiled. "It's going to be possible," she corrected herself. "We have a promise to fulfil after all."

"A promise?" Mai asked. She blushed. "Oh, that!"

"We didn't exactly follow through with it... you know, at that time, so we should take this chance." Sachiko reached for Mai's hand and gripped it. "This won't be for nothing."

Mai smiled gently. "Thank you, Sachi-chan."

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"We'll be heading off then! Bye-bye!"

It was the night before the performance. The five had just completed a dress rehearsal, showing the great growth they had achieved since Mai had first arrived back in November.

Yet, as she stood on the stage, staring out at the empty audience, Amamiya Mai's heart was still racing.

"Something up?"

Mai turned around in the direction of the voice. Walking onto the stage was Kawaguchi Izumi, a songwriter idol.

"Aren't you going home with Sachi-chan?" Mai asked.

"Nah. We're not exactly friends and I wanted some time to think about stuff."

"Is the song not turning out the way you imagined?" Mai asked and Izumi shook her head.

"They capture the feeling of the song perfectly. It's more that... it feels weird to think this might be over tomorrow. You know, the stuff with the system and all."

"It won't be over. There'll still be many arguments about the system and its fate... but that's for us KatsuCorp people to figure out. For everyone else, it'll be pretty much over."

"...Sounds like you have it hard," Izumi said.

"It's worth it. I just wish that sometimes I'd be taken a bit more seriously..." Mai whispered. She readjusted her glasses. "I still love it, though."

"...I wonder if Akemi-chan feels the same way..."

Mai pursed her lips, looking down. She opened her mouth to comment.

The lights flickered.

"Huh?" She ended up saying instead.

Then, they cut out. The room was dyed in darkness.

"That's not good," Izumi muttered. "Quick, let's see if there's something we can do."

"Mhm."

The two rushed off backstage, their hearts pounding. It was dark, with only the light from their phone torches to guide them.

Izumi stopped.

"The wires have been messed with," she muttered.

"No way..."

Izumi shone her phone's torch on the tangled mess before them and Mai's heart dropped.

"...Did someone... sabotage us?" She whispered, trembling slightly. "No... nonono..."

"...How did they even get back here?" Izumi asked. "I thought only authorised people could..."

"Can't we fix it?" Mai asked, her eyes wide.

"I guess we should try..."

Click. Click. Click.

Izumi perked up. She placed her hand on Mai's shoulder. "Stay here for a second. See if there's anything you can do about the wires." Then, she started walking off, her heart beating through her chest.

She saw it.

Just as she had suspected.

A hand reached out for a further wire and Izumi grabbed onto their wrist. Shaking slightly, she pulled them over to her, shining the light in their face whilst praying it wasn't a dangerous criminal.

Her heart stopped.

Amber eyes stared back at her, piercing her soul.

"...Akemi...?" she whispered shakily. "What are you doing?"

"System maintenance," she flatly replied.

"That's a lie."

"Is that any way to speak to your best friend?" Akemi asked, pulling herself up into a standing position and pulling her wrist away. "I'm not lying. KatsuCorp sent me to do this."

"Why are you doing this?"

"It's what's best for Aikatsu. Is it that difficult to understand?"

"How is it what's best?"

Akemi smirked. "It's funny. You're the whole reason this happens and yet you still side with a group that'll never accept you."

"What?"

Akemi took a step forward, closer to Izumi. "You're a traitor to them. You've betrayed them and they'll never truly accept you. Even your first love rejected you despite how much care you had shown her."

"How did you-?"

Akemi stroked Izumi's cheek and the latter froze. She smirked. "I wasn't lying when I said you were talented. I like you, Izumi. I think staying with me will benefit you much more than that group ever will. The two of us can be at the top of the Aikatsu world, together."

Izumi bit her lip.

She took a step back.

"Maybe you're right..." she said. "Maybe I'll never truly be accepted as a part of them. Maybe I'll always be considered a traitor by them."

"I'm glad you understand."

Shaming her head, Izumi's expression firmed. "I still can't agree with you, Akemi."

"Why not? This is for the betterment of everyone," Akemi said. "The idols with talent and dedication will be able to push themselves even further. Those who are destined to fail won't even have to get their hopes up and waste their time chasing an impossible dream. Fans will be provided with higher quality entertainment. Tell me, who loses here?"

"I can't support that! I can't support idols overexerting themselves just to keep their jobs. I can't support controlling idols' lives - who they talk to and who they can't date and how they act - it's gross."

"It's necessary."

"There has to be a better way of doing this," Izumi said. "Idols aren't just dolls."

"They knew what they were getting into."

"But -- is that how you want to be treated?"

Akemi nodded. "If it's for the sake of my fans, then I do not mind."

"You should mind!"

"Being an idol, having spotlights shine down on you and everyone calling your name; admiring your every move; wearing everything you wear and singing your songs - it's the dream, isn't it? If I follow the rules, I'll become bigger and my voice will reach more people. Aikatsu will grow bigger and last longer. Wouldn't you say that's worth giving things up?"

"No."

"Even if it leads to Aikatsu's inevitable death?"

"That's not the kind of Aikatsu I could ever bring myself to support. It's only going to hurt the idols."

"What would you know about what's good for idols?"

"...Not much," Izumi admitted. "But I do know the feelings of everyone else."

"Those feelings will get them nowhere."

"Maybe. But I want you to see how it turns out either way," Izumi said. "Whether they manage to bloom tomorrow or not, I want you to see."

Akemi narrowed her eyes. "Why would I?"

"I don't want you to do something everyone will regret," Izumi said. "Yourself included. I want you to be happy, Akemi."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "Do I need a reason? I'm not sure they'll be able to bring the system back but it should be reversible if their performance doesn't change their mind." She looked Akemi in the eyes. "So, please. I want you to see everyone's feelings before you do something you regret."

Akemi stared back, then sighed.

"All I did with the wires so far was tangle them. They should be fixable."

Izumi's stern expression turned into a smile.

"Thank you, Akemi."

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

Even from backstage, they could hear the crowd. It was loud; the loudest and likely the largest the five idols had ever performed in front of.

"Nervous?" Hajime asked.

"A little," Claire answered. "It's kind of a lot of pressure..."

"What if we can't?" Hikaru asked. "Do you think everyone will be upset at us?"

"What if we didn't train enough?" Minori added. "I'd feel really bad..."

"Or maybe we don't have the right personalities..." Saki muttered. "That's part of it, isn't it?"

"It is," Mai confirmed. "But I'm sure you can do it."

"Right," Usagi said. "After everything, I believe in us!"

"...True," Claire said. "We haven't exactly taken the easy path. But we've survived regardless, have we not?"

"We've been through a lot," Hikaru agreed. "But even if this ends up being our last performance, especially if this ends up being our last performance... I don't want to end it regretting anything."

"I guess all we can do now is give it our best out there," Saki said. "I'll use my powers the best I can to help us."

"Mhm! If it's us, I think we can do it. Susie-chan thinks the same, too."

"Standby, please!"

The others stood up and started to leave backstage. "We'll be watching," Sachiko said. "Give it your best."

"We will."

As the others left, Mai paused. She turned to the performers. "If you don't believe and take a chance, nothing will start," she said. "So, take that chance and shine. And... be careful whilst doing so." Giving a gentle smile, she followed the others.

Usagi smiled back.

"We won't let you down, onee-chan," she said to herself. She turned back to the others. "Let's do it, shall we?"

They walked over to five inactive machines. One by one, they placed their cards.

The Raspberry Sunshine coord.

The Developing Sparkle coord.

The Cygnus Lake coord.

The Elegant Matcha coord.

The Stormy Playtime coord.

One by one, they placed each card into the machines and took a step back.

Naturally, nothing happened. But the five smiled at each other and walked over to their designated platform, wearing the coords Rina had designed for them. They took a synchronised deep breath.

"We're together, so we can do it," Usagi said, as the five gathered into a circle. They grabbed onto each other's hands, holding them out and taking a step back, so that from overhead, it looked like a five-point star. "And even if we fail, let's try again."

The other four nodded.

"We can do this."

Then, Usagi grinned as they broke apart, moving to their starting positions. "Hey, why don't we make ourselves a unit?"

"A unit with all five of us?" Minori asked.

"I'd love that," Hikaru said and Usagi's grin grew brighter.

"Alright! It's decided then!"

"What should our name be?" Saki asked.

"To be honest, I was thinking about this last night and... new☆moon is what I came up with. I know it's similar to FULL☆MOON but it fits us, doesn't it? Maybe we're not as impressive as them but we're working hard to become more."

"That does fit us," Claire said.

"Well, as long as our upperclassmen don't get mad."

"I like it."

"It's cute!"

"Alright, then we're new☆moon!"

Slowly, the platform started to rise, taking them onto the stage as the music started up. In front of them was a rainbow-coloured sea of lights, with fans repping each of their colours. Each light had a fan cheering and praying behind it, placing their trust in the new unit and believing in them with all their might.

And somehow, the weight on their shoulders felt a little lighter as they started to perform.

Ah, this is my chance

To make a difference in this world so large

Usagi stepped forward and started with her solo. Her voice was sweet, filled with determination.

So, this is my chance

To discover who I really am

Up next was Claire. With refined beauty and strength, she carried on the strong emotions the performance was conveying.

I'll give it a try

Doing the things that scare me

Next was Hikaru's turn. Similarly, her voice was sweet, yet emotionally powerful.

But, I cannot lie

I haven't felt this free

Following up was Minori. As usual, she was energetic, but this time it felt more heartfelt than usual.

In a while, because you're here

We make a perfect team

Finally, Saki sang her solo, showcasing the more delicate side of herself she had rarely even shown to her friends. After that was done, the five started singing together, their voices harmonising.

I want to make a change,

I don't want to wait around for a miracle

I want to leave my mark

We can change the world

We just have to believe...

Then, Usagi stepped forward for an emotionally charged solo line.

I finally believe...!

new☆moon joined their voices together once again, as the chorus hit in and the energy of the song increased.

The rabbit looked up to the sky

That light was shining bright

Doesn't it feel so cool?

The fruits are ripening

Flowers are blossoming

The bright beauty shines on the fountain

I feel a true genuine love

A harp sound plays on

I really admire you

Paint the future in your colour

With a beautiful grace

Tomorrow's fragrance brings good luck

The five each had bright smiles that could even rival the sun. Each lyric was sung with great emotion and each move appeared effortless.

All their hard work had clearly paid off.

The sun makes it all clear

This painting ties us all

Soon the flower of happiness will bloom

And the moon is shining too!

The song had reached the halfway point but new☆moon were still performing strongly.

They wouldn't give up!

There's a bright link connecting us

Those of us who are always dreaming

Every day is filled with exciting moments

These stories, they're more than a trilogy

They're the stories of our lives! An eternity!

How we laughed and cried together

With the more energetic tone of the second half, they were better able to show off the dancing they had worked so hard on, along with the chemistry and bonds between the members.

Deep within each of us

A flower's waiting to bloom

I promise it'll come one day

It lies even beyond the heavens

So reach out...

Reach for the stars!

They'd keep performing with all of their ability.

They'd bloom; they'd bloom!

The rabbit runs through wonderland

The golden star keeps on shining

And the monarch butterfly finds a brand new world...

Even during a deluge, they keep smiling

It illuminates the world

And that inferno of passion keeps blazing

As they performed, they became more and more passionate and the audience followed, as slowly even more lights popped up and the waving became more determined.

You're never alone, I'll be by your side

We'll get out of this blizzard and find the truth

Under the spotlight, I'll keep shining bright!

I'll give a powerful yell

I'll be the Queen of divas

And this happy melody will resound...

As the performance started to reach its end, the five performed with extra hope and determination to make their miracle real. Akemi's eyes widened slightly as she watched those around her furiously cheer - despite these idols actively rebelling against nearly every rule and norm in idolhood.

We shouted "Here We Go!" and searched for our dreams

Encountered many nightmares along the way

But I made a vow

And even if I haven't reached perfection

When I look in the vanity

I like the reflection smiling back at me

As the song came to a close, Usagi stepped forward to deliver one last heartfelt solo line, praying with all of her heart that a miracle would happen.

I think I finally like... me

The music stopped and the five stood still. There was light applause but it quickly stopped. The five looked at each other, that sparkle that was shining so brightly in their eyes quickly diminishing.

They weren't sure how long they were standing there, but it felt like hours.

Eventually, as the leader, Usagi took a step forward.

"Thank you for watching, everybody," she said. "And... we're sorry. Despite everything... we couldn't bloom. We couldn't save Aikatsu. We're sorry."

The crowd was quiet, with just a couple of murmurs.

Akemi sighed, her impressed outlook crumbling away. "What did they expect?"

From the back of the audience, Mai looked at the lack of readings from the system. "Usagi-chan..."

"But... we're not giving up," Usagi said, and if you looked closely, she was slowly beginning to sparkle. "We're not... we're never going to give up! Because we love Aikatsu! Because we love performing; because Aikatsu changed our lives!" As that sparkle grew stronger, she took one step forward and shouted into her microphone:

"Because we believe in a greater Aikatsu!"

That sparkle grew, eventually erupting as a large white light, engulfing the stage and taking new☆moon with it. The audience watched in anticipation, waiting for it to disappear and reveal the system.

But it didn't fade.

Mai's eyes widened and she paled. "They've... they've..."

"Did onee-chan just... disappear?" One of Hikaru's younger siblings asked their mother.

"I'm... not sure..." she muttered. She took a deep breath. "Hikaru-chan!"

"Is this supposed to happen?" Ayame asked.

"I doubt it."

"Do you think they're... safe?"

The audience was quickly thrown into chaos, nervously discussing what they had just witnessed and why wouldn't that damn light disappear and return the idols.

"Will they be alive?"

"Don't talk like that! Of course they'll be alive!"

"That's if that light ever disappears..."

Izumi's heart was beating out of her chest. She was trembling and sweating.

Once again, she had messed up.

He blinked back tears, her breathing heavy.

And yet, as shaky as it may have been, she opened her mouth and involuntarily began to sing.

"La, la, la, la..."

As the soft sound reached her ears, Rina started to join.

"La, la, la, la..."

Next, Sachiko joined. And slowly but surely, the entire audience had caught on and started to sing along. Akemi's eyes widened.

They were all singing... to save the system?

To save them?

"La, la, la, la..."

"Tag! You're it!" a young child shouted. "Come get us if you can!"

A group of young children dispelled around the playground, each running away from another child. Included in this group was a younger Minori, who was gleefully running away too.

But... she quickly ran out of breath, breathing heavily and sweating. She fell to her knees.

"Eh? Minori-chan? Are you okay?"

"I'm tired..."

"You've only run a tiny bit," another child said. "How are you tired already?"

"I don't know..."

"Weak."

"She looks pale though... maybe she's sick. I'll go get a teacher."

Tears of frustration formed in her eyes.

"Even if I try, I can't play with everyone... why can't I be normal? It's not fair..."

"La, la, la, la..."

"Luna-san's so pretty," Claire overheard a student say to her friend as she passed by. "I love her voice."

"She's the student council president of the middle school and an idol! I wanna be just like her someday."

"Same!"

Then, they both sighed.

"When I heard her sister was gonna be in our class I thought she'd be more like Luna-chan."

"Yeah... but Claire-chan's just awkward and quiet. Someone like her doesn't even deserve to be called Luna-chan's sister."

Claire looked down and hurried past, praying they hadn't noticed her.

"Maybe if I was more like onee-chan, people would like me more... why couldn't I be her instead?"

"La, la, la, la..."

"I'll see you in the depths of hell," Saki said, waving her friends off as they left the room. From behind, she heard faint chuckling.

"What a weirdo!" one student laughed. Saki froze.

"Right? They're all so weird."

"Hanasato especially. Remember when she was trying to be all boyish?"

"Weird then, weird always." They laughed. "She's gonna be screwed when we go middle school and have to make new friends."

"I'll totally be able to make friends in middle school..." Saki muttered as she packed her bags to move to another class. Her pout turned into a sigh.

"No matter what I do, it's like nothing I do is good enough for most people..."

"La, la, la, la..."

"Hey, Hikaru-chan, we're entering the school talent show as magicians. Wanna join our group?"

"Huh?"

"Yeah!" Another person exclaimed. "Then we can be a team of three!"

Hikaru paused, looking down. "I'm sorry... I think I'll just watch."

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm. I'm not the kind of person who can do this."

"It's not just 'cause of last time, is it?"

"N-no," Hikaru lied. "I think I'd just prefer watching from the sidelines."

"Oh. That's a shame. Well, we'll do our best."

Hikaru nodded. "I'm sure you'll win."

The two reluctantly ran off to practise more and Hikaru watched, her heart aching.

"Someone like me can't do cool and exciting things... it's too scary...I'll just ruin it for everyone..."

"La, la, la, la..."

Usagi walked out of the sports room with a smile. So far, the tennis club wasn't going bad at all.

"Ugh, why'd we have to get the club dropout to join us," she quietly overheard. She crept over to the bathroom and hid around the corner. Two of her clubmates were talking - both were fairly popular, taking on an almost 'leadership' role within the club just through their influential auras. Usagi froze.

"Well, at most she'll be here for a couple of weeks. It's not like she'll join us for competitions or anything."

"Isn't that even more of a problem? It'll mess with our strategy and stuff! ...Ugh. Nearly every other club complains about her but I didn't think we'd ever be the ones inflicted with the curse."

"We'll just have to endure it. We could probably give her some 'encouragement' to quit faster anyway."

"True. Not like she's any better than average."

Usagi bit her lip, and then ran off.

"I always mess everything up. I'm never gonna be good at anything..."

"La, la, la, la..."

After a couple of minutes, the singing died down, the motivation of the audience fading. There was an air of hopelessness in the stadium as the light stayed strong, with the idols trapped inside giving no indication of being okay.

Mai looked at the fluctuating readings, tears forming in her eyes. She choked up. "I'm so sorry, Usagi-chan... I'm so sorry, everyone..."

"Don't give up!"

Mai looked up from the screen. Elsewhere in the audience a first-year from Rosebud Academy, Hibino Kanade, was shouting at the light. Kanade took a deep breath and cupped her hands around her mouth. "I know you're all in there! You can't give up now!"

"You've already overcome so much, Minori!" A purple-haired woman shouted. "Don't let your hard work go to waste!"

I know you can still work and everything but... you should still be a little kinder to yourself."

"You'll be fine soon, though. I have to wait until I find a bone marrow match and then I have to have surgery and I'll still have to rest after that and- and I might as well do all I can whilst I feel okay-ish."

"I'm not saying you're not capable. But you shouldn't beat yourself up if you're not able to do things."

"But I'm always relying on you. I'm always relying on everyone! I just... I just want to be like everyone else. I just want to repay everyone..."

"Then you can pay me back after you've had that surgery. There's no rush." She paused. "Minorin, you're amazing. Just being your friend makes all the struggle worth it."

"...You're just saying that."

"I'm not. I'm really glad I met you. Really and truly."

"...Even if I'm a burden?"

"You're not a burden. You're a friend."

"That's... right. I'm more than just some sickly girl."

"Wake up, you five!" Chiaki shouted. "I still haven't seen your true self perform, Suzukawa-san - show me it!"

"Claire-chan, it's not like you to give up so easily!" Hajime yelled. "Please - please don't leave me!"

Despite not saying a word, Luna clasped her hands together, closing her eyes tightly and sending her strong feelings across.

"I... don't know what to do. I like being with you. I love being part of Bubblegum*Asterism. It's all so much fun and it makes me so happy and..." She started crying. "I... hate myself for it. I promised Luna that I'd fulfil her dream. But I can't. Not like this and-"

Usagi rushed over and wrapped her arms around Claire. Sobbing, Claire hugged her back.

"I'm sorry! I don't want to let you or anyone else down but I don't - I don't...!"

"It's okay."

"But-!"

"You're Claire-chan, our friend. So, no matter what kind of Claire-chan you decide to be... we'll love you and be extremely happy you're our friend. Because you're amazing!"

Hikaru sat on the other side of Claire and smiled gently, placing her hand on Claire's shoulder.

"We're here for you. No matter what."

"...How could I forget? I may not be my sister but... for some reason, I have friends who like me better because of that."

"Saki-chan, Usagi-chan!" Ayame shouted. "Didn't you promise to become great idols together?! You can't give up now!"

"Saki-chan - I've known you my entire life, so I know this isn't enough to knock you down! You can do this!" Hoshiko yelled.

"That's - that's the worst decision you could make!" Minori shouted. "You've always made some weird choices, but, but- but how is lying to yourself gonna make it up to your fans? How could they even call themselves your fans in the first place?!"

"Pleasing my fans is the most important thing! I have to do this!"

"Listen to me! The other day, all I did was mess up over and over again. I even caused this. But you still supported me no matter what - why would you think I wouldn't do the same?!" Minori argued. "You haven't even messed up here - why would you listen to haters like that?"

"Because - because I'm an unlikeable person, aren't I?"

"That's not true, either! Sure, you have your flaws. You might be sassy and you might be a little overconfident and you might even be overbearing but - but they're a part of you! Alongside how kind you are and supportive you are... you're amazing, Saki-pyon. And - and that's why I fell in love with you!" She paused, finally calming down. She wiped away the tears in her eyes. "That's - What I mean is, you're precious to me. Even if you're flawed, I think you're amazing. Not just your pretty parts - and your true fans feel the same. I know, because I'm one of them."

"There are people who love me - flaws and all. I can't believe I'd forget something like that..."

"Azusawa-chan, don't you have dreams to fulfil?!" Tsubasa shouted. "You can't stop here!"

"Onee-chan, do your best! We're all rooting for you!"

"It's stunning," Hikaru said. She paused, standing up, her hand still extended. "Can I ask a question?"

"Fire ahead."

"When do you think I fell in love with Aikatsu?"

"I don't know," Usagi said. "We're not you, after all."

"I know that. I just think... it's strange," Hikaru said. "I didn't expect to love it in this way. And I'm not sure when it started... all this time I just wanted to help out my family. But I found myself caring more... I don't understand it."

"I understand the feeling," Claire said. "I never expected Aikatsu to make my heart race so much. I never expected to have so much fun with friends so different to onee-chan's Clockwork."

Hikaru nodded. "Looking at this view with the two of you..." She smiled, determination shining in her eyes. "I see it. I see... the me I want to become. I want to become more confident, and less afraid of trying new stuff. I want to be able to grow alongside you. I want to be an upperclassman the younger students will be proud to call their senpai." Her eyes sparkled. "I want to fully enjoy Aikatsu - even if it's scary!" She turned back around to face her two best friends, the final of the sun's light shining on her. "But I'm not sure I can do it alone... do you think you could help me?"

The two smiled brightly. "Of course!" They chimed together and Hikaru smiled her brightest yet as the sun was finally put to rest, the moon taking its place in the sky.

"Thank you."

"It's the least we could do," Claire said, standing up herself. She patted Hikaru on the head. "We're proud of you, Hikaru-chan."

"Even when things are scary, I have friends supporting me even when I fail. So, I can give it a try. I feel kind of bad for forgetting..."

"Usagi-chan! You finally found the thing you love - don't let it go now!" Ella shouted.

"Usagi, you've worked so hard this past year and we couldn't be prouder!" Her mother shouted. "So please, please don't leave us now!"

Akemi looked around, wide-eyed. Everyone was shouting words of encouragement to the five, motivating them to not give up.

Cherry blossoms were falling from the sky. Usagi turned around to face the huge blossom tree next to her.

"Blossoms already?" She whispered.

Someone giggled, and Usagi turned around. Standing there was a girl with strawberry-blonde hair - one all too familiar to Usagi.

"Asuna-chan? How are you here?"

"Welcome," Asuna greeted, smiling gently.

"...Welcome?" Usagi whispered. Realising, she touched her face. "Does that mean-? I'm not dead, am I?!"

Asuna shook her head, a petal landing in her hair. "Not yet."

"Yet?!"

She giggled. "Everyone dies eventually. You still have years to go, though. Jeez, that would be too cruel to Kaidou-san!" She paused. "Which is why you should probably leave. It's nice seeing you again but - this isn't where you should be. You have a dream to achieve, after all."

"A dream...?" Usagi whispered. Asuna simply nodded and it clicked.

"You're right - I have a dream, don't I? The thing only I can do; the thing that makes me the happiest!"

Asuna smiled. "You shouldn't leave them waiting." She reached out to catch a falling cherry blossom petal. "Close your eyes - you hear it, don't you?"

When she closed her eyes, suddenly, Usagi could hear it.

"They're... cheering for me." She opened her eyes and began to tear up. "I can hear them - I thought-"

"They love you. They believe in you," Asuna said. "And you?"

Usagi placed her hand over her heart. "I... I'm clumsy. I get over my head too easily and I know for a fact I'm stupid." She chuckled sadly. "And yet... yet...

I think I'm starting to love myself, too."

Asuna's eyes shone, silently conveying her pride.

"And... and... and just as much:"

From the bottom of each of their hearts, new☆moon shouted out:

"I believe in myself!"

Taking a deep breath, Mai cupped her hands around her mouth.

"Everyone, I believe in you!"

Once again, the stadium fell quiet. They had been shouting for several minutes now - they could only hope their voices had reached new☆moon. Mai held her hand over her heart, praying for a miracle.

Praying that they were safe.

Something gleamed in the corner of her eye, slowly drifting down. Something... purple. Mai reached out to it, holding it between her thumb and index finger. She narrowed her eyes.

"A... flower petal?" she whispered. The light expanded to cover the entire stadium, engulfing everyone. Mai quickly shielded her eyes, her heart pounding.

The rabbit looked up to the sky

That light was shining bright

Doesn't it feel so cool?

Slowly, she opened her eyes.

And... what she saw was nothing short of a miracle.

They were safe.

They were singing.

They had bloomed!

The purple carnation had bloomed for Usagi.

The alstroemeria had bloomed for Hikaru.

The bluebell had bloomed for Claire.

The iris had bloomed for Saki.

And the orange blossom had bloomed for Minori.

The stage had transformed, into a grand stage with a purple night sky above. A group aura was covering it - one different from most unit auras. Instead of being a combination of their individual auras like it had been before, it was a unique one, with stars being connected by rainbows.

"They did it..." Sachiko whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "They really... did it!" Someone squeezed her hand and Sachiko turned to face her girlfriend, who was silently crying.

"They... really did..."

In the audience, everybody stared in awe. Their friends, their family, their fans, their designers, their teachers. Midnight, Kizuna, MeguruMeguru, the Rosebuds, and even the two members of Divinity Heaven.

Quickly, the stunned silence transformed into thunderous applause.

Izumi turned to Hajime. "Turn the instrumental back on!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

The song resumed, and new☆moon performed once again, shining and sparkling and glowing brighter than they ever had before.

The fruits are ripening

Flowers are blossoming

The bright beauty shines on the fountain

Then, the audience started singing along.

I feel a true genuine love

A harp sound plays on

I really admire you

Paint the future in your colour

With a beautiful grace

Tomorrow's fragrance brings good luck

The sun makes it all clear

This painting ties us all

Soon the flower of happiness will bloom

And the moon is shining too!

The five jumped into a special appeal. Just like the aura, it was unlike anything ever seen before with the system. They twirled and flowers started blooming around them - even running into the audience. Before long, flowers were blooming in the audience's hair - for Floret Premium Rare owners, these aligned with their FPRs; the flowers of their hearts, they could be called. Yet, when Akemi took hers out of her hair, it was something different.

A purple hyacinth.

"So that's how it is, huh?" Akemi softly asked, smiling sadly.

As the special appeal, 'Twilight Garden', finished, the five landed back on stage and sang two final lines.

So believe with all your heart

Because we're all shining too!

Once again, the audience gave thunderous applause; louder than any of the audience had ever heard before. new☆moon held their poses, trying to catch their breath.

Usagi blinked and her vision became focused again - what had just happened finally processed.

Flower petals were falling down from the sky, in a variety of colours. She reached out to grab them, then choked up.

"Usagi-chan?" Claire asked, noticing the tears their leader was shedding. "What's wrong?"

As all attention turned to her, Usagi shook her head.

"I'm so happy!"

Her four teammates let out sighs of relief.

"We managed it..." Saki said. "Is this a dream?"

Minori stood on her tiptoes and pinched Saki's cheek.

"Ow!"

"Nope, it's not a dream."

"I can't believe it," Claire said. "I thought it would be impossible..."

"Me too," Hikaru agreed. She smiled. "But the view - it's just as beautiful as I'd imagine it'd be."

The five looked out to the view before them. A stunning sky; flower petals descending; flowers blooming all around the stage and the audience all smiling brightly.

"Isn't it?"

"It almost feels like all the hardship was worth seeing this," Saki agreed.

Minori reached for Saki's hand. One by one, they held each other's hands, creating a chain, and watched as the sun rose on the stage, enveloping them in its warm light.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"That was so much fun, wasn't it?" Usagi asked as the five gathered backstage. "We bloomed! We saved Aikatsu! We really did it!"

The five smiled brightly, giggling and gushing about their grand performance.

Before long, eclipse appeared, tears running down Mai's eyes.

"Everyone! Are you all okay?!"

"Huh?" Usagi asked. "Is something wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Is something wrong?! You really worried me! You really worried everyone!"

"...Huh?" Minori asked.

"...What exactly are you on about, Amamiya-senpai?" Saki added, placing a hand on her hip.

"You know! When you- when you-"

new☆moon exchanged perplexed looks. Sachiko took a step forward, wrapping her arm around her sobbing girlfriend and pulling her in to comfort her. "Don't you remember?"

"Remember what?"

"What happened during the performance."

"Hm..." Usagi placed a finger on her lip. "We were singing Kawaguchi-senpai's song and then we bloomed towards the end. Why?"

"...They didn't notice," Sachiko muttered. "Strange..."

"But at one point - I'm not sure when, maybe I'm just making it up - it felt like... people were calling our names and supporting us." She ran her hand through her hand. "I couldn't hear it but I could feel it. Even if that doesn't make sense... agh. I probably am just imagining it."

"I felt it too," Claire said. "I'm not sure how but... I got this feeling."

"Me too," Hikaru said. "Like people were relying on me."

"Mhm. It felt nice," Minori added. "I was getting tired at that point but that feeling filled me with energy again."

"I thought I was just hearing things," Saki agreed. "But if you all felt it too, I guess it was real."

Mai wiped her tears. "You all feel okay, right? Nothing's wrong?"

Usagi nodded, bouncing on her toes. "100% normal Usagi, just a little more tired than usual."

"Right?" Minori agreed. "I feel like I could sleep for a week straight."

Mai giggled, wiping her tears and putting her glasses back on. "Take that rest. You've worked hard - you deserve it."

"Does this mean everything's going to go back to normal?" Usagi asked.

"Well... I'll have to talk to KatsuCorp about it. But I think... it'll be okay."

"It won't be that easy."

Emerging backstage was Akiyama Akemi. She looked at the ground.

"Try as you might, the CEO's pretty adamant about changing the system..."

"Akiyama-san..."

Akemi bit her tongue and looked down.

"I'm sorry!" She shouted, bowing. "I got ahead of myself and messed with the system just because I thought I knew what was best. I messed up so much for everyone - I'm really and truly sorry."

The group watched her in silence.

Smiling, Usagi took a step forward.

"You know, Akiyama-senpai, I really think you're an amazing idol," Usagi said. "You're so skilled at performing and you're so ambitious too. So... I think it's a waste if you let this ruin you."

"...What do you mean?" Akemi asked, straightening her back. Usagi grinned and Mai wrung her wrists.

"I agree. If you're sorry... then you should stay in KatsuCorp."

"...Why?"

"Because - because that's how you make a change," Mai said. "You don't run away. If you want to make it up to everyone, then make that change. Create an Aikatsu system that benefits everyone and help stop them from implementing this update."

"We're just kids. You know they won't listen to us," Akemi argued. "You know we're fighting a losing battle."

"I don't think so. We're maybe the youngest employees but that just means we're the company's future." She held out a hand. "The future is our's to shape. We might as well give it a try and turn the Aikatsu system into something we can all love, right?"

Although visibly hesitant, Akemi held onto Mai's hand. "Do you think it's possible?"

"We have to believe, don't we?"

Usagi smiled softly.

"I'm glad it worked out," she said to herself.

"Usagi!"

She jumped, quickly turning around to the source of the voice. By the doorway, a crowd of adults had appeared - or rather, a crowd of parents.

"Mum! Dad!" She exclaimed as two adults approached her, the woman pulling her into a hug.

"Don't you ever worry us like that again!" her mother scolded. When Usagi glanced up, she could see tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry..." Usagi muttered. "But I managed to bloom! Me! When the system was dormant! Can you believe it?"

"Of course we can believe it. You're our daughter after all," her dad said.

"Mhm. Just please be more careful next time," her mother agreed, tightening her grip.

"...I'm sorry," Usagi repeated quietly, "For all of the stress I've caused you. Both now and back then - some things never change, I guess." She laughed feebly but her mother quickly shook her head.

"We were just worried about you," her mother refuted. "We didn't want you to get hurt." She paused. "I'm sorry if I ever seemed disappointed in you. I should have worked harder to be there for you. And I'm so, so sorry for it." She smiled. "I love you, Usagi. And I'm so, so proud of you."

Usagi pulled away. "H-huh?" she quietly asked, as something wet rolled down her cheek. "I'm... why am I crying again...?"

Her mother smiled gently and wiped away her daughter's tears.

Which was nearly enough to make Usagi cry even more.

"I love you both," she said. "Thank you for everything."

"We love you too," her dad said.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"Hey, Usagi-chan, get over here!" Saki called later that night, as the five gathered to celebrate. She held out her phone with a grin and the five posed together.

"We did it," Claire said. "From now on, we can Aikatsu as much as we want~."

"It's exciting."

"It's going to be fun doing special appeals again."

"And the coords! I missed how sparkly they are."

Usagi grinned brightly.

"No matter what, let's not regret a single second from now on!"

"From now to forever:"

With their brightest smiles, Saki pressed the button that'd immortalise this memory for them forever.

"Aikatsu!"

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

purple carnation -> capriciousness, changeable

alstroemeria -> friendship, devotion

bluebell -> humility, constancy

iris -> message, hope, faith, friendship, wisdom

orange blossom -> purity, your purity equals your loveliness

purple hyacinth -> I am sorry, sorrow, please forgive me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.8K 970 23
This has some trigger warnings please don't read if you are sensitive to any of these topics ⚠sensitive topics⚠ ⚠sexual activities⚠ Overal this story...
4.1K 89 32
❝𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥?!❞ ˏ⸉‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽...
49.9K 1.4K 26
As part of S4, Yume knew that she would have many more requests to participate in interviews, concerts and movies. What she did not know was that a s...
249K 8.6K 60
Dull eyes filled the world, grey and colourless. Only those who had met their soulmate could see eyes of colour. Kiyoomi Sakusa had never cared much...