Sparks

By chickenflavors

What would you do if you were told to save your soulmate from a dreading future? Claude Harris's encounter wi... More

Chapter 1: "... she's my soulmate?"
Chapter 2: "I'm Joy, by the way."
Chapter 3: "... She always hated this day."
Chapter 4: "Grow up, Harris."
Chapter 5: "... It's not a crime to watch a theatre."
Chapter 6: "... Always causing trouble."
Chapter 7: "How's your day, Joy?"
Chapter 8: "... a special place in my heart."
Chapter 9: "We will be knows as legends!"
Chapter 10: "... it seems I forgot."
Chapter 11: "How could you..."
Chapter 12: "... stop blaming yourself."
Chapter 13: "... I'm at Joy's."
Chapter 14: "She's crazy."
Chapter 15: "... what she's capable of..."
Chapter 16: "She's awfully close today."
Chapter 17: "I hate you."
Chapter 18: "it's a date then."
Chapter 19: "... I need you to keep it a secret."
Chapter 20: "It must be difficult for you ..."
Chapter 21: "you don't fuck your friend's ex."
Chapter 22: "show them how it's done."
Chapter 23: "how can you be this perfect?"
Chapter 24: "fate is a strong word."
Chapter 25: Set the bond, Claude
Chapter 26: "This isn't your typical truth or dare."
Chapter 28: "the play is about her life."
Chapter 29: "I love her, your Highness."
Chapter 30: "good job, Jocelyn."
Chapter 31: "My nerd."
C̶̻͇͙̝̉h̡̪̣̜͎̰̉͗̓ȃ͍̗̬̦̖̥͍͂͠p̧̖̯͙̣̔t̢͍̪̱͙̭̺͚̩̚̚e̸̜̦ͧ͐̿r̩͕͙̦̽̑̀?̲̫̪̻͔̲̍͗́̀ͅ
Chapter 32: "Because he loves her?"
Chapter 33: "You've made her life miserable."
Chapter 34: "I'm just curious."
Chapter 35: "Do you have a praise kink or something?"
Chapter 36: "I've never been better after spitting on that asshole."
Chapter 37: "is there any chance to be my girlfriend?"
Chapter 38: "You're so fucked, Lydia."
Chapter 39: Saturday.
Chapter 40: "What's the meaning of this, Jocelyn?"
Chapter 41: "Shut up, shut up. Shut. Up!"
Chapter 42: "I haven't said I loved him, Dion."
Chapter 43: "... You deserve to know."
Chapter 44: "If I don't leave Martin. Will I die?"
Chapter 45: "There was no Us from the start."
Chapter 46: "Stay with me, please."
Chapter 47: This is how our story ends.
Chapter 48: Or is it?
Author's Note.
Aftermath.

Chapter 27: "Don't fuck it up."

1.5K 73 3
By chickenflavors

I feel anxious because the play is today. I was helping with the props with the others as I saw Joy coordinating with the committee. The teacher allowed us to skip the entire class to prepare the auditorium. She was stressed, nervous, and furious. She keeps walking back and forth a million times to scream at the people who screw up with her idea. It was killing me to see her stressed like this, but I knew she deserved the space she needed. She needs everything to be perfect.

"Harris, can you paint the window?" Joy ran towards me while she handed me the paint and the brush.

"It's not painted yet?" I asked her in disbelief.

"It's only 70 percent painted. Can you finish it? Please?" Joy pled as she gave me the puppy eyes. How can I deny those eyes?

"Consider it done," I smirked at her as I took the paint and the brush.

"You're the best!" Joy said happily as she returned to the others, "can you make that straighter?!" she shouted at some first-year student.

"That's what she said," I joked, and everyone around me laughed. Joy snapped her neck towards me. I looked down and continued with the props, "sorry..."

When I thought the props weren't fully painted was the worst thing that happened today until I heard the news about Lydia. My phone rang as I saw the caller ID. It was from Jessie. I answered it while I painted the window, "What's up?"

"Bad news. Bathroom. Now," Jessie said on the phone.

"On my way," I answered as I passed the task to some sophomore. He was only the only one available anyway, no harm on asking a favor.

I rushed to the nearest bathroom and found Jessie holding someone's hair in one of the booths, I approached them, and I saw Lydia throwing up on the toilet, "What happened?"

"I found her pale and sick in the hallway," Jessie spoke to me.

"I'm hungover. That's what happened," Lydia said before throwing up again.

"For God's sake, Lydia, you have a play!" I said as I ruffled my hair.

"Maggie is here, right? Just use her," Lydia said while leaning her back on the wall. Her lips were pale, and so was her face. Sweats started to form on her forehead, and her hair was disheveled.

"You can't stay here in the bathroom. We'll help you walk to the auditorium," I said to Lydia, and she agreed. There's no point in complaining when she looked like she was dying. Lydia cleaned herself first and drank Jessie's water bottle before going to the auditorium.

When the door opened, the first person to snap their neck at the door was Joy. She approached us with her eyes widened in shock. Confuse of what happened, "what happened to you, Lydia?"

"I'm so sorry," Lydia said sincerity. I think she is because she's the fakest person I've known.

"Maggie!" Joy screamed as she went backstage. Jessie and I settled Lydia on a couch. Thank God there's a couch randomly lying here, "Hugh! Help Maggie with her script because Lydia is not playing," Joy said as she glared at Lydia and went back outside.

"I'm just going to go and prepare the camera," Jessie spoke, and I responded with a nod.

I kneeled and watched Lydia while she closed her eyes, "you good? Do you need anything else?"

Lydia put her arm on her eyes and looked away, "I'm good, thank you."

I noticed the necklace she was wearing, "You wear it again. Why?"

"Wear what?" Lydia turned to face me in confusion.

"The necklace I gave you," I answered.

"I just feel like wearing it," she shrugged.

"You broke up with me, and you still wearing the necklace? Are you trying to make me the bad guy?" I asked, and she looked at me in disbelief. I just thought there's no point in wearing my necklace since we broke up. She showed everyone she cared by wearing the chain, and I didn't.

"Not everything is about you, Claude," Lydia said as she sighed in pain.

"Harris, do I have to scream for you to return to your work?" Joy spoke with her hands on her hips. Her eyebrows were raised with a hint of jealousy.

I stood up and spoke for the last time before going back to the stage, "Call me if you need help, which I know you won't," as I passed Joy on my way, I whispered, "jealous much?" Joy ignored by remarked by rolling her eyes.

***

I stretched my arm when I finished painting the last props while the cast was done with their previous rehearsal. Now, all I have to do is wait until the show starts. It's better to paint the props than to study. I walked around to find Joy, but she was nowhere. I asked everyone, but they didn't even acknowledge me—cocky first-year students.

"HEY!" I screamed to grab their attention, "where is Jocelyn?!"

"S- she's at the changing room," the freshman stuttered.

"Thank you!" I said before stomping my way backstage and going to the changing room. I opened the door slowly, and I saw the actors doing their make-up and putting on their costumes. I approached Maggie while she was putting on a blond wig, "have you seen Joy?"

"She behind there," Maggie pointed towards the black folding screen. I thanked her before going around the changing screen, and I saw her sitting on the chair with her head in her hand. She must be feeling overwhelmed.

I slowly approached her and brought my hand around her waist from behind. She was startled, a little bit relieved to know it was me, "you scared me," she said.

"Are you worried?" I asked.

"More like nervous," Joy sighed into my embrace, "I planned this play to be perfect, but Lydia had to fuck it up."

"Don't worry, we still have Maggie," I said.

"It's not just that," she took a deep breath and sat up straight before speaking, "Martin is here, and so is my dad- father."

"That's great, isn't it?" I asked her, and she looked at me without changing her expression, "or not- wait," I grabbed another chair and sat in front of her, "this is bad. What if people find out about your father and fiancee? You've been keeping your life a secret from everyone, and it seems like they can't respect it."

"That's what I thought, but the problem is not only that," she sighed, "I can already feel his judgment from afar. He is a perfectionist, and he will, without a doubt, judge my play and everything that are happening in this place," Joy said without skipping a beat. I already know this play is essential for her and if their father is here and tells her that the performance is terrible. It would crush her. 

I took her hand and brought it to my chest. She looked confused about my gesture, "what is it?" She asked.

"Do you feel my heart beating fast?" I asked her, and she nodded, "I understand your worries, and this play also scared me as much as you are. Have faith in Maggie as she will play as Aurora without batting an eyelash."

Joy shook her head and laughed at my remarks. I continue, "and don't worry about your dad. I, as your assistant, will always be by your side so that I will bear your dad's judgment along with you. I also hope  no one notice your dad and your fiancee's presence."

She leaned towards me and cupped my face, "it's pleasant to hear you speaking formally."

"Just like I said, a day with your kind has taught me how to speak normally with you," I said teasingly.

"That's not how I usually speak. I only speak formally towards my family," Joy smirked at me. She wiped her face before taking a deep breath, "can you say something that I don't know to calm me down?"

"I might have an idea," I said as I recalled last night about the truth or dare, "remember how I was dared to compliment you? Well, your ears aren't the only exciting thing," I said as I took her hand and held it dearly, "you have the most beautiful eyes I've ever laid on. You have the softest skin I've ever touched. You have the smoothest hair I've ever felt. Last but not least, you have the sweetest lips I've ever tasted."

I saw her face flustered as she looked away to hide it, "I said, something that I don't know."

I smiled at her remarks and brought her face closer to me and leaving our lips an inch away from each other, "you sure are something," I said, and I proceeded to lean closer and peck her lips, "that's a good luck kiss for you."

"Thank you," Joy gave me a genuine smile which made her glow. I love it when she's happy.

"Joy, we'll be starting in a half-hour," a voice interrupted us, and we parted from each other in awkward.

"Yes, thank you, Jane. I'm right behind you," Joy said to the girl, leaving us alone. She stood up and spoke before leaving the room, "one thing. Jane is my assistant. You're my manager, whose job is to be by my side."

"That's literally what an assistant does," I said, laughing, and she left with Jane. I went around the changing screen and approached Maggie while looking at herself, "Maggie, can I say something before you go?"

"Go ahead," she said without looking at me and still looking at herself in the mirror.

"Don't fuck it up, please," I pled, and she finally turned her head to look at me.

"Don't worry. I was born for this," she said as she dramatically returned to the mirror.

"Break a leg," I said, patting her back and leaving the room.

***

THIRD P.O.V

Narrator: This plot took place in the present but in a kingdom. Aurora, the daughter of the king of the country, has to give up on her dreams to explore the whole world because the king told her to marry a prince from another country, but then she falls in love with her gardener, who will change the princess's life and free her from the king.

* Scene 1: In the bedroom

Aurora is lying down on her head, and she is deep inside her thoughts. The king's words keep replaying inside her thoughts.

"you will marry Prince Leo, and don't ever think of running away."

Aurora sighed, "Anyone, please help me from this nightmare," she muttered to herself while combing her silky hair.

A knock on the door startled Aurora as a voice followed, "Aurora, are you asleep?" it was the king, "may I come in."

"Yes, you may, father," Aurora answers and goes to the door and opens it. The King went inside her room and sat on the edge of the bed. Aurora sat beside the king, looking confused, "what's seems to be the problem, father?"

"Nothing. I was checking up on you since you made a scene when I told you you'd be marrying Prince Leo," the king answered.

Aurora sighed, "I'm fine, father. I'm just trying to comprehend the news."

The King put a weary smile, "you know that I had to do this, right?"

"You had to; I don't."

"I know, honey, but this has to happen. I know about your dream to explore the world, but you need to know your place."

"To give all of myself to a stranger? No father. I don't want to."

The King sighed, "you'll soon understand," the king stood up and left Aurora alone. Aurora felt overwhelmed by the short visit by the king. Aurora went by her make-up table and started to break down, "God, please stop," she muttered to herself.

Then the music started—Andromeda by Wayes Blood.

"Andromeda's a big, wide open galaxy

Nothing in it for me except a heart that's lazy

Running from my own life now

I'm really turning some time

Looking up to the sky for something I may never find"

The room blackened, and the only light that turned on was above Aurora.

"Stop calling

It's time to let me be

If you think you can save me

I'd dare you to try."

Thinking that God would send someone to save her from her ordeal was a joke. Aurora wiped her tears and went back to her bed, praying that God actually would send someone to save her.

Then the stage blackened.

* Scene 2: At the garden

Aurora went to the garden and sat on a bench to read her novel. As she reads every sentence in her book, she keeps thinking about how the king has controlled her life.

She groaned and shuffled her hair. She threw the book, but someone caught it, "Whoa, princess. You shouldn't be throwing your book like that."

Aurora looks up to see her gardener, holding the book that she had thrown and a hedge shear on his left. Aurora stood up and approached the boy, "I'm sorry. I'm in a tight spot right now."

Philip is a handsome boy, but sadly he's just a Gardner. The tall man stood in front of the princess, "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What's wrong?" Philips asked as he returned the book to Aurora.

"My father asked me to marry Prince Leo, and I don't want to be with a stranger," Aurora said and pouted. She sat back on the bench, "I feel like no one acknowledged me. They wouldn't even listen to my decline."

"What? How could they," Philips said as he put his hand on his chest in disbelief

"They you're talking about is the king. Of course, they could," Aurora said.

"I'll tell you something, princess," Philips took her hand and walked her around the stage as the music started. A lot's Gonna Change by Weyes Blood.

"If I could go back to a time before now

Before I ever fell down

I'd go back to a time when I was just a boy

When I had the whole world

Gently wrapped around me."

Philips looked over at Aurora, which made her blush.

"And no good thing could be taken away

If I still believe that hearts don't lie

You're gonna be just fine."

Philips puts a genuine smile on his face.

"But, babe"

Philips stopped and looked Aurora in the eyes.

"A lot's gonna change

In your lifetime."

Philipa stood up on the end of the fountain, and he clenched his fist and, taking it in front of his chest,

"Try to leave it all behind"

Philipa jumped down and took Aurora's hand for the second time,

"In your lifetime."

Aurora looked away from Philips and spoke, "I- I can't. Why would you think of that?"

"Because things that you think is a bad thing, maybe good. I mean, you can give it a chance, and you're going to be just fine," Philips replied, "if everything went downhill. The king wouldn't dare to see you on edge like that."

"You think so?" Aurora asks. She wouldn't think anybody would understand.

"Of course, princess," Philips said.

***

The play is something like broadway-ish / theater-ish (Honestly i have no idea the difference between those two). The music wont be fully sang (just some parts)

Oh and, I want to explain why did i stopped (the first song [Andromeda by Weyes Blood]) on the first chorus because according to Genius, the lyrics means,

"She is asking for the world, or God, to stop sending her signs due to the futility of its message. She wants to be left alone because their attempts of saving her will not work. This is also indicative of her wavering faith."

I just want you to understand :) anyway, don't forget to vote! (Please, if you think Joy's play is sucks, it meant that way or whatever it's just the sake of the plot)

-chicken

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

570 173 18
"Were we a lie? Were we even real?" Every teen goes through that stage through life where they are trying to find themselves who they are really some...
1.1K 187 30
What's a heart to a soul? What's a memory to reality? What's lust to love? And what differentiates fact from fiction? How can we ever truly know love...
313 22 23
TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️ MENTIONS OF RAPE, family abuse and suicidal thoughts. Do not read if this may trigger you. The story isn't all depressing but ther...
389K 10.4K 70
I was trapped. Trapped between an obscure past that was haunting me and a chance of building a better future for myself. Trapped between the four wal...