The Forgotten Way (Champions...

By AnnaIdanBerg

Ambassador Sabrina Devon has just concluded a difficult peace treaty on Meskath and is preparing to head home... More

Chapter 1: Going Home
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 2: Homecoming
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 3: New Beginnings
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 4: The Art of Diplomacy
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 5: A Brilliant Security Maneuver
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 7: Out of Time
Chapter 8: Revelations and Reverses
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 8.4
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 8.6
Chapter 9: Loose Ends
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 10: Diversions
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 11: Looking for Trouble
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: Messages from the Past
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 13: Ancient Enemies
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14: Desperate Escapes
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 15: The Gathering Storm
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 16: Aftermath
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2

Chapter 6: Fiersai

9 2 0
By AnnaIdanBerg

The next morning Sabrina checked her com messages and realized it had not been a dream after all. Imari's message was brief and to the point, informing her that she was invited to put herself at the disposal of the Realm observer, with the Realm's thanks. Mara had a little more to say.

"I'm sure by now you and Niavar have had one or two discussions about this," Mara said, looking amused. "I hope you are still speaking to each other, at least. I know you are not best suited for a subordinate role, Sabrina, but doubtless you realize that I cannot deny Niavar this opportunity to prove himself. I'm sure this more active assignment appeals to him after being confined on the station, and I will be less concerned about him on Fiersai, to tell you the truth. As Queen I am disappointed to lose my most creative diplomat for a time, but as Guardian I am pleased to have you assist my son and look into this disgraceful situation."

She paused. "Sometimes I feel we don't communicate very well when it comes to your position among us, Sabrina, and I don't want you to feel that this is some kind of rejection. If Niavar were not with you I would have had no qualms about appointing you to represent the Realm. But to appoint you over his head would have been an appalling repudiation, and I would never do that to any of my children. I know that you, who have always been so fierce in Niavar's defense, would not want me to. I wish you both a safe and productive journey to Fiersai. Please give the High Lord my greetings and compliments. Oh—Tirqwin and Khediva send their love." She smiled. "I also send greetings on behalf of Seuréa, who asks me every day where you are. And, of course, my own love. I hope to see you home soon."

Sabrina smiled at the screen for a moment after it went dark. Then she punched in the code for Ford's suite. Stecklan answered.

"Good morning, Captain. Could you ask his royal highness if he has a moment?"

"He's getting dressed, Lady Sabrina. Can I have him call you back?"

"Yes. Just tell him I called to ask what I should wear this morning."

Stecklan raised an eyebrow. "Yes, ma'am."

It wasn't long before the door chime sounded. Ford came in, chuckling. "So you need wardrobe advice, assistant?"

"Well, I packed an ambassador's wardrobe. I wouldn't want to get my job off to a bad start by out-dressing the person I'm assisting. And I don't have Ranja here to help me." She eyed Ford's formal suit appraisingly. "Although now that I've seen you I think I can put my worries to rest. I won't be outshining you in that."

"Why, thank you," Ford said. "I thought I might need a little help getting taken seriously."

"I'm taking you very seriously," Sabrina said.

"Not you, the conference. I take it you got your orders this morning?"

"Yes, they came in overnight. Mara seems pleased."

"Well," Ford said, "I think this must be the first time I've ever volunteered to do anything official offplanet. Hm. That gives me a great idea for her next birthday present."

Sabrina rolled her eyes.

——————————

Sabrina and Ford took their seats at the conference table early, wanting to make sure they could get their announcements in before the rest of the day's agenda. It was Ranfir's turn to chair, and he immediately granted Sabrina the floor. She gestured to Thad to come forward.

Thad swallowed nervously as he approached the head of the table and presented his credentials to Ranfir. "Her Majesty Queen Maratobia of Praxatillus has appointed me her ambassador to this conference," he said.

Ranfir looked surprised. "Welcome, Ambassador Meera," he said. "But, if I may ask, why the change in your delegation?"

"Lady Sabrina will be assisting in other efforts to resolve this crisis," Thad said. "If I may, I will yield the floor to His Royal Highness the Prince of Bathir."

Ford rose. "With the permission of the Council of Trême, I volunteer to go to Fiersai as an observer on behalf of the Realm of Miah, so appointed by the Council of Trême and the Guardian. I will investigate the situation with the help of an assistant and accompanied by one bodyguard. Is this acceptable to Fiersai?"

Ranfir recovered quickly. "It is. We would be honored to welcome the son of the Guardian to verify that this situation, though deplorable, can be resolved. May I ask if it is Lady Sabrina you intend as your assistant?"

"Yes," Ford said. "Her expertise will be invaluable."

Ranfir said, "We will adjourn for an hour so the delegates can consider."

As everyone rose, talking animatedly, Ford leaned over and said to Sabrina, "Now you get to sit along the wall."

Unable to stick her tongue out at him, she elbowed him discreetly in the ribs as he passed. He tossed a grin at her over his shoulder and made his way over to Maelora and the Shaerwin ambassador, who both made a decorous fuss over his brilliant solution. Sabrina thought a little bitterly about the basic injustice of the universe until Ranfir appeared at her elbow. "I am pleased we may have the opportunity to welcome you to Fiersai. I only wish we were better able to give you the hospitality you deserve."

"I look forward to seeing your homeworld," Sabrina replied. "But the prince and I would prefer to focus on our work. Please do not feel obliged to entertain us."

"My uncle will certainly insist on at least a welcoming banquet."

Sabrina found the idea of a banquet on a famine-stricken world repulsive. It must have shown, because Ranfir hurried to add, "Not that it will be what you are used to, of course. The High Lord practices economy at his table now so that more will be available for others."

"An excellent idea," Sabrina said. "I hope I may have the chance to meet your daughter while we are there."

Ranfir gave her his devastating smile. "I would be delighted to introduce you."

They were interrupted by the Rrzzhn ambassador. "Lady Sabrina," he said, his antennae rigid, "it is necessary to ask. Miahn hive groupings are emotional. The prince is qualified?"

Sabrina smiled at him. "I have the greatest respect for my cousin's intelligence and judgment, Ambassador Zzhr. He is an astute observer of behavior, as well. I look forward to watching him work. I think he will surprise you."

"Ah." He clicked his mandibles at her. "He can work?"

"He can indeed. I don't have to remind you that he helped save your colony. He was instrumental in Varla's defeat."

"Much secret," he replied. "But yes. He was there."

"So was I, Ambassador," Sabrina made sure she kept smiling. "Many sacrifices were made. My brother and I would not be alive were it not for the prince."

He waved his antennae at her in a comforting gesture. "Then we trust. Gallant Devon-Lieutenant much remembered. We sent greetings to his mating ritual."

"Yes. He was very honored to receive them," Sabrina said. Actually, she knew, Scotty had been more bemused than anything else. Among his fragmented memories, the events leading up to his near-death on Stanos were the least coherent.

"Wishes that he fertilize many eggs," Zzhr said, moving off.

Sabrina put her hand over her mouth to contain a giggle at the phrasing. Ranfir looked at a loss. "They're very different, aren't they?"

"Well, it's an insectoid world with a complicated social structure. They find us equally incomprehensible, I think. That was actually a very touching sentiment, no matter how strange it sounded to us. I must remember to pass it along verbatim," Sabrina said, biting her lip to keep her mirth under control.

"He is probably the only person here who could get away with questioning the qualifications of the prince," Ranfir remarked.

"Exactly. And now that I've satisfied him that our royalty are also workers, he will spread the word," Sabrina replied. "Rrzzhn queens exist merely to breed, and any sons she may have are drones—slaves to the queen, not self-directing workers. It's natural he'd want to make sure that's not the case for Miahns." She looked around. "Please excuse me, Ambassador. I must just go have a word with the new Praxatillian ambassador."

"Of course." Ranfir smiled warmly at her again. Sabrina returned it as she hurried off to save Thad from the Fugl delegation.

——————————

The vote, after a short discussion period, was unanimous. Sabrina discovered that her view of the delegates was much better from a seat along the wall, rather than confined to the table. She could learn to like playing second fiddle, perhaps, she told herself as the delegates haggled over Ford's departure time.

Finally Ford had had enough. "Gentlebeings, I think we are getting unnecessarily focused on details. Since we are agreed that I will travel aboard the Fiersain ship, why not leave the departure to its captain? I assure you I will make this an efficient journey and return to report to you as quickly as possible. Lady Sabrina and I have no wish to be a charge on the Fiersain government any longer than necessary. This conference has many other issues to address, as we are also agreed that emergency food and other supplies are needed."

"An excellent suggestion," Ranfir hurried to say. "Is there a voice of support?"

"Yes," the Lthos ambassador said, shortly before most of the other delegates. The vote, though not unanimous, was decided in one round.

"Then it is so decided. It is also time for our midday meal. We will reconvene in two hours."

Sabrina took a moment to put away her notepad and was surprised that Ford came straight to her. "Don't you have a lunch date?" she asked.

"Yes, with you and Stecklan to go over security arrangements for the trip."

"Oh. Next time you make up a schedule, can I please have a copy in advance?"

Ford looked amused. "What, did you have a lunch date?"

"No. I just like to know what to expect."

"Ah. Then I have a feeling you're going to hate this trip."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

882 268 54
King Baldaran of Praxatillus is dead, and Maratobia, his only surviving child, must become Queen as well as Guardian of the Great Crystal. Her compan...
4.7K 751 26
Tristan is a Quiz Bowl star. Vyrsa is from the stars. But is their interstellar romance written in the stars? *** Following a successful heist on a r...
1.7K 270 58
"What, you wanna go back to Earth and just hope it turns out okay? Knowing all this is out here?" Sabrina and Scotty Devon's summer trip took them fu...
909 316 90
Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor to Sabrina's office turns out to be Miah...