The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 40: A Compromise

588 39 2
By MissElleDee

Ever since that day happened, when the duke and the duchess engaged in a passionate session one bright morning, Duke Calex had been running around and kept being busy.

And of course, when the master was busy, so were his subordinates. Thus, Sebas and Estian were dragged into the bustling schedule and activities of Duke Calex.

Inside the duke's study room.

"Your Grace, I hate to ask this, but could we have a day off? Just one day will do. No, even just half will do!" Sebas said with his bloodshot eyes.

Duke Calex looked up from a pile of papers in front of him. He saw the grumbling Sebas and Estian, though as quiet as always, he could see the same sentiment in his eyes. After all, they had been working non stop these days.

Sebas and Estian were already anticipating what the duke had to say. The still silence in the air as the duke stared at them gave them both hope and anxiety.

The silence remained for a few minutes until Duke Calex spoke.

"Can't you just use your power to re-energize yourselves?" Duke Calex blurted.

Sebas almost passed out upon hearing his words while Estian could only cough.

"Your Grace! Please have mercy! With my body and mind exhausted, do you think this humble servant of yours is a powerhouse? I'm no such person! Let me catch a wink first!" Sebas growled in sarcasm.

Duke Calex turned to Estian, and Estian knew that the entire outcome would depend on him.

Thus, Estian said, "Your Grace, Sebas and I - no, all of us should take a rest. If not for a day, just for half a day will do."

Duke Calex turned his back from them as he faced the windows and his gaze met his own. He noticed that stubble had grown on his impeccable face due to a few days of working nonstop. And for the first time ever, Duke Calex became conscious of his own appearance. His brows furrowed upon it.

Looks like we really need to take a rest...
Duke Calex thought.

He simply needed to freshen up.

After all, now that he was aware of his attraction towards Atallie, he became conscious of some other things as well. Now, he had to maintain his neat appearance and be clean and presentable as much as possible so as to impress his wife.

Besides, it had been days since they last had a good meal with each other.

Duke Calex, after burying himself for days with all the things that needed to be taken care of, just realized how he suddenly missed Atallie.

His deep and dark cold eyes suddenly had a different glint on them. His thoughts flashed back to that morning when their lips were locked onto each other.

Thinking about it, Duke Calex felt something warming from deep within him.

The unknown desire from deep within sprung up once again.

He needed to see her.

He wanted to.

And with that, Duke Calex wordlessly walked out from the study room.

Sebas and Estian were a bit dumbfounded. The duke left them just like that.

Estian snapped back sooner than Sebas who was still gawking at the sudden action of the duke.

"Cough. I believe His Grace has agreed on our request. We can rest for now," said Estian.

Sebas snapped back to reality upon hearing the word rest. With that, he quickly stood up and exclaimed. "My goodness! Finally! I gotta go now!"

In the end, Estian was left alone to tidy up a bit inside the study room before he went to leave as well.

It was still morning and a few hours before lunch time. And during this time, Duke Calex somehow knew where to find Atallie.

Walking out from the building, he took a quick stroll in the garden until he reached his destination.

The magnificently and beautifully built greenhouse stood tall in front of him. The rays of the bright morning sun were reflecting and shining down on those glass walls unto the vibrant and flourishing plants and flowers inside. It was a warm and lively sight to see.

At one glance, Duke Calex didn't see Atallie. He figured she could be further inside or she was inside the inner room in which no one other than herself could enter in.

With large strides, Duke Calex entered and walked around to find Atallie.

During these past few days, although the duke kept being busy, he never forgot to call for Leonor to stay updated on the affairs of the duchess, just as what he usually did. Hence, Duke Calex was aware of some of the daily routine of Atallie, including her daily activities inside the greenhouse.

Walking further inside, Duke Calex finally saw a glimpse of Atallie.

Atallie, dressed in a lovely and charming light yellow dress with white flowing sleeves and skirt, and hair half put into a bun and the other half was left down, wavy and dancing, and adorned with small pearl ornaments, made her looked like a dazzling fairy in the middle of her own forest.

The various blooming and colorful flowers and vibrant greeneries around accentuated her captivating and gentle appearance even more.

Duke Calex halted on his steps. He was simply mesmerized.

He realized that from the very beginning, he already held quite an attraction towards Atallie. Yet, at this moment, it was as if Atallie was a magnet that kept on drawing him closer and closer like a helpless block of iron.

Atallie, upon sensing that someone was looking at her, turned around and saw the slightly dazed duke.

But when she looked into those deep and dark eyes of the duke, what she saw was something else, and something more...

It was something that seemed to tickle her usually calm and indifferent heart.

It was also at this moment that Atallie was reminded of how dangerously handsome Duke Calex was and how she was also attracted to the duke.

Atallie was also reminded of that day when they both shared a steamy kiss. It was just like this day, bright and morning...

Atallie snapped back. She quickly but subtly turned around. But in just a few breaths, she felt that someone had invaded her personal space.

And before she could even try to walk away, she was suddenly caged in an embrace.

Atallie almost jolted. Almost. Before her body could instinctively react due to shock, she had reigned control before it happened.

But it could not be denied that she was truly shocked. A few questions kept on popping in her mind.

What was wrong with the duke?

Did he forget to drink his medicine to stay sane?

What was with the sudden hug?

Can anyone explain to me what is happening now?

Atallie wanted to move away. Yet she was caught in an iron-like arms.

Duke Calex knew that Atallie wanted him to let go. But why would he? This was what he wanted to do after all.

No, it was not just this.

In fact, he wanted to do more.

With his thoughts in sync with his body, Duke Calex quickly took action before Atallie could even further struggle in his arms.

Hugging Atallie from the back, Duke Calex put his nose at the crook of Atallie's neck and took a whiff of her scent.

The soft and gentle flowery and refreshing scent of Atallie was like a calming agent to Duke Calex. His tensed and obviously tired body from a few sleepless days gradually relaxed as he moved closer and took another whiff. His slightly grown stubble even rubbed against the velvety and delicate skin of Atallie.

Atallie was frozen stiff.

She could closely feel the breath of Duke Calex as he kept on inhaling and exhaling at the crook of her neck. But what she was more concerned about was that she could also feel how the stubble of the duke also gently rubbed against her soft skin.

But the worst part was that Atallie just realized how dangerously sensitive that seemingly ordinary spot on her neck could be.

From a simple tickling sensation, she could tell how her body seemed to respond from the sudden touch and intimacy.

She could even feel a tingling sensation spreading from her neck onto the several sensitive parts of body.

Atallie's eyes dilated in horror.

Upon realization of the subtle and novel changes with her body and senses, having read several romance novels as her pastime hobby, Atallie knew that she was shockingly in for it.

Like a prey caught in a snare. A spiky and tricky snare.

Yet, Atallie didn't know that the Duke was just about to really get her good beyond what she could even think about.

Slowly being drunk with the calming and extraordinary scent of Atallie, Duke Calex was not aware of how Atallie was handling his sudden action, apart from her initial reaction of wanting to slip away.

Because for Duke Calex, right here, right now, the indescribable desire from deep within him was continuously building up, together with the subtle warmth that he could feel. A warmth that seemed to touch even his desolate and barren soul.

And there was no way he would just let go of that novelty.

Even if it could burn him in the end.

Finally unable to hold it in anymore, Duke Calex abruptly yet gently turned Atallie to face him as his big and rough hands cupped Atallie's face on both sides.

Then, swiftly, his lips went for Atallie's luscious and rosy pink lips.

Atallie was dumbfounded. Her thoughts were put into a halt as she blinked her usually cold and indifferent amber eyes that were now dilated and with a different glint on them.

She could clearly see the magnified stunning facial features of Duke Calex. His thick and perfectly-shaped brows, straight nose, sharp jaw and angles, fair and slightly tanned skin...

However, at this time, Atallie seemed to have forgotten about the duke's lips that were currently attacking hers.

Atallie was just staring blankly when Duke Calex, amidst his passionate pursuit, somehow noticed that the lips that he was kissing were not cooperating.

Thus, Atallie's lower lip was suddenly bitten, prompting her to open her mouth with a light squeal.

Having found a chance to have a taste of such delicacy, Duke Calex quickly moved into action. His tongue instantly dived into Atallie's mouth, caressing and touching everything inside as his lips pulled and fumbled and sucked on it. Atallie was taken aback. The sudden assault was more than she had expected.

Why is he acting like a hungry dog rather than a man?

But at this time, Atalie's heart was already racing like she had just run around the mansion. Her body was also feeling that warmth - the heat that seemed to be spreading all over her body, intensifying her other senses, making her feel like a helpless boat being swept away by a sudden storm, no - it was more like being caught up in the eye of the storm.

However, Atallie didn't want to get drowned. Alone.

Duke Calex was fully immersed with his action when he noticed the response of Atallie.

He was pulled down and even closer and his continuously exploring tongue and moving lips were suddenly being welcome.

Atallie, having had a previous experience from their first kiss and being a good learner herself, knew exactly how to respond better than before. Besides, just like the duke, she was now currently being swept away by the surge of lust and desire.

She didn't want to be caught alone in the eye of the storm and drown alone. Better to let him drown as well, right?

With their lips tightly locked onto each other, wrestling with each other, fumbling, moving and sucking, their breaths were both hot and sticky as they felt each other's heartbeat beating loudly, like a drum sounding in each other's ears.

Duke Calex felt his throat go dry, though he could not understand why.

He was feeling both exhilarated and frustrated as he kept on kissing Atallie's mouth and sucking on them, yet he could not seem to get enough of those sweet cherry lips and delicacy.

Then, he slightly opened his deep and dark eyes that were obviously much darker and deeper than their usual shade and were now sharply glinting with desire.

Looking down at Atallie's captivating face that was also magnified in front of him, Duke Calex suddenly realized what it is that he wanted to do - what exactly he needed to do.

It was as if a switch was turned on inside him. A spark from the depths of his soul. A flash in his mind, a tremble in his heart.

Like a thunder that came straight for him.

Swept by his raging hormones and heightened libido, Duke Calex seemed to be completely swept away by the tormenting and violent storm and ended up being caught in its destructive eye.

His actions hastened. His lips moved as if there was no tomorrow - licking, sucking and wrestling - as if he wanted to devour Atallie as a whole.

He wanted more.

He needed more!

Like a beast that had just been unleashed, or abruptly awakened, after being asleep for a century.

Duke Calex became like a roaring lion, a tiger, a jaguar, unlike the previous dog before. And Atallie immediately noticed the sudden changes of the duke.

She was at the receiving end, after all.

Although already aware of their indescribable and somehow strong pull of attraction between them, Atallie could not just let herself be easily and totally devoured by the already drunk and binded duke.

After all, Atallie knew what exactly she wanted.

And it was something more, deep and meaningful than this sudden indulgence in desire and pleasure.

Thus, with difficulty, Atallie had to collect her rationality back and with a great force, she pushed the already hot and boiling duke away from her.

Taken aback, Duke Calex was still panting with raging fire in his eyes when he was suddenly pushed back with great force. He stumbled and almost fell on the ground if it were not for the post nearby.

Meanwhile, Atallie combed through her already messy hair with her fair fingers as she smoothened out her slightly ruffled dress. She was also trying to calm her breathing and restore her usual calm while her amber eyes kept on flashing and glaring at the duke. She didn't dare to turn away from him anymore, afraid that once she presented her back once again, she would once again be caught in the iron-like arms of him.

After a few minutes of silence, the heated and chaotic atmosphere from before slowly dissipated and turned to an awkward stillness between the duke and the duchess.

Atallie knew that she needed to speak first at this point.

"Dare I say, I do not permit you to do that again," Atallie said with her usual calm and composure. Although her amber eyes still had a different glint on them, there was a sharp coldness underneath them.

Duke Calex intensely stared at the beautiful and captivating Atallie.

Although their breaths already came back to its normal tempo, both their heartbeats were still somehow not yet calm.

And at this moment, after almost devouring this charming woman in front of him, his very own wife, Atallie even became more appealing and alluring in his eyes. Duke Calex found himself suddenly having great difficulty in controlling his urges and reining his rationality.

"You are not allowed to touch me again," Atallie repeated. She knew that she had to make it clear to the duke for she could still see remnants of lust and frustration in his deep and dark eyes.

"Not until you get rid of those buzzing bugs inside this house," she added.

Duke Calex was speechless.

He knew what Atallie was trying to say.

He knew exactly what he must do with those buzzing bugs.

"You need to get rid of them."

Of course, he knew he needed to, no - he must.

However,

"Wife..."

"That is all. You know that this - what is between us, this relationship that came out of smoke and built on thin ice, will never progress and develop further until all the obstacles would be rid off," Atallie said. Her words cut through like a knife on the duke's back, seemingly able to penetrate even on his chest.

Duke Calex was fully aware of it. He was fully aware of his own troubles, together with all his duties and responsibilities that were constantly and consistently weighing down on his back - and unfortunately, all of which could not just be taken lightly.

No one knew how he was living his daily life with no calm and genuine peace at all. Living like threading on fire of lava or thin ice, he only had one goal - and that was to seek justice for what had happened to his parents, to his family. Because of this goal, he kept on struggling and pushing himself forward and managed to grow through the hardening years.

If it were not for this goal, and what he owed to few people, he would have long surrendered and claimed his own life.

But with the appearance of Atallie, he suddenly gained a wife. He could not say that her appearance didn't and wouldn't make any difference with his plans and goals. In fact, from the very beginning, he knew he needed to adjust everything. He knew that he was not living just for himself now.

Duke Calex could not just live for himself now.

Especially now that he knew that feelings started to sprout from the depths of his soul, like a ray of light from the darkness within him.

Hence, upon realizing his feelings, and the indescribable desire from him, he started taking actions.

Actions that were not part of his initial plan.

Duke Calex, for the past few sleepless days, tried his best to change his plans and expedite some parts of it. He admitted that it was not easy.

Things were tricky and difficult and they could not just be instantly resolved in just a few nights and days.

Duke Calex knew that even if he tried his best, he still had to take precautions and not hastened everything, lest they create even more trouble in the days to come.

Thus, he wanted to at least tell Atallie about this, his plans, and yet, he was also aware of how their marriage and their current relationship was built on. Duke Calex knew that he had to gain Atallie's trust first and give her the security she needed - that she deserved.

In the end, Duke Calex could only compromise and speak two words, "I understand."

He could not promise anything to Atallie for now. Words were not reliable, actions were, and actions speak louder than words. So, he could only try to do his best to work on his plans to give Atallie what she wanted to have.

At this time, Duke Calex didn't know that Atallie had also considered and made plans on her own to help him, should he need her help.

But of course, to Atallie, she would not take the initiative to offer the help. After all, she wanted to see the sincerity of the duke's actions on how he would move to try to execute his own plans.

What she could only do for now was mind her own business while quietly watching on the sidelines.

_______

A/n: And that's it for Chapter 40! Another milestone reached! I can't believe I've already written up to 40 chapters in this story. I don't actually know how many chapters this story will reach, but I'm going to do my best.

To my dear readers, please continue to support me and don't forget to vote! I'd also love to hear your comments. You all know how I appreciate everything, right?

Writing while having a day job is kinda taxing, but hey, as long as I can, I'll keep on writing. We're all in this together!

I'll see you in the next chapter!

Ciao ~

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 11.5K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
8.7K 291 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
48.8K 1.7K 50
"Mama!" "Bébé courir!" (Baby run!) The woman screamed in French at her child to run away, the young girl looking at her mother with tears in her eyes...
4.2K 297 54
With the shake of a bell And a chant of a spell The innocent princess was made to forget it all Until she was to fall ...