Fated Rivals

By StarFusion77

Elijah(Eli) has always been competing with Grayson(Gray) for as long as he could remember. Whether it was gra... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Fated Rivals Info Page
Character Descriptions
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 22

5.7K 234 42
By StarFusion77

Elijah's POV

I startle awake as my head smacks against something hard that I'm leaning on. Dazed, I blink away the blurry vision on my eyes as I regain my bearings. Oh, I must have fallen asleep on the bus ride back. To be fair, if you just won the state championship for your school, you would be tired afterwards too.

Over the past few weeks, the sixteen teams from the nine packs in the area have been competing against each other in the playoffs, rising through the ranks. Resulting in our team being one of the final four in the championship. These past few days have been the most stressful, painful, and rewarding days of this entire year.

Day one was pretty funny, considering we were the only ones pulling up with what looked like a SWAT team of warriors for protection. Not the way I would have preferred to stand out there, but at least it made us look like a big deal. I'm sure that we only had protection because of the rogue situation but I highly doubt that they would have attacked some random high school sports team.

That first day allowed us to settle in at the nearby hotel, go over plays, and practice before hell started. Days two through four were when the championship really began, with best-of-five games to 25. The semifinals breezed by as we obliterated the competition from a pack east of us, 3-0. But they were cool and had good sportsmanship. Unlike one of the teams in the next semifinals game.

They were from a southern pack, and they were good. Really good. And they knew it too. Their cocky behavior on and off court grated against my nerves when I saw them play their semifinals game. Yeah, they got called out for it, but they still won which meant we had to face them in the finals on the last day.

The finals... were rough.

It got down to the wire with the last game, the score already 2-2. Our team was exhausted, nervous, but relentless none the less. We knew it was now or never and coming home without that trophy was not an option. And as much as I hate to admit it, I even rubbed the charm on Gray's bracelet attached to my bag for good luck.

After a grueling hour and fifteen minutes, Melvin delt the finishing blow. Spiking the ball, and scoring the point needed to win: 3-2. Our other team mates on the side went wild, and even coach was cheering. Honestly everything after the game felt like a blur of cameras, people, and confetti; that only ended after we clambered on this bus to go home.

I rub at the sore spot on my head, as Kai hops into the empty space next to me on my seat.

"Dude how are you even able to sleep? I'm still rushing from the energy of winning," he says, practically vibrating with adrenaline.

" How do you still have energy? That game was brutal. Not to mention, having to do pictures, interviews, and packing to leave. I'm exhausted," I say, yawning to prove my point.

"The pictures and celebrations are the best part! Tons of cameras catching all of my good sides, the crowd chanting our names. Cheering on the team of omegas and betas that defied the odds. What's not to love about all that attention?"

"Cut our star libero some slack Kai," Melvin says, leaning on the back of our seat. "Not everyone is the living embodiment of Red Bull and vanity like you."

"What! You got the most attention out of all of us, Mr. Winning Point," Kai pouts.

"Trust me, I would have gladly given that spotlight to you. Just thinking about all those interviews is making me tired too," Melvin says, yawning.

"Aah! The exhaustion is contagious!" Kai says, scooting away from us. At least laughing with Melvin over Kai's eccentric nature wakes me up a bit more.

"By the way, Eli, where did you get that bracelet from? I've never seen you wear it before, and now you have it on every day," Melvin asks. Shit, I was hoping that they wouldn't notice. I don't really wear accessories a lot, so I guess me wearing a new bracelet everyday would stand out a bit.

"Oh, uh, it's just a good luck charm that someone gave me. Nothing crazy," I say, praying that they'll accept that broad answer.

"Oooo, is it from a suitor~" Melvin says nudging my shoulder.

"No, just someone I know."

"Usually someone would say it came from a friend, not 'someone they know'. This person has to be important in a different way," he says.

Damn, he's got me there. But what could I say? I got it from Grayson? I don't even know what we are right now. We've spent too much time together recently for me to say that we're enemies. But I wouldn't consider him my bestie, since I still hate him. So, I guess frenemies? I don't know, shits always confusing with him.

"My guess is that it came from that blonde journalist that he's been talking to during practice," Kai says, wiggling his eyebrows.

Well, that's one theory that I'm willing to go along with.  "A gentleman never tells," I say, shrugging and "trying" to hide a smile. They try to pry me for more information but eventually move on after I don't say anything else. Don't want to turn this assumption into an actual lie. We all ride and chat for two hours before finally pulling up to the school; where we're greeted by a small crowd in the parking lot.

I guess news traveled fast about our win because they're all cheering and holding up posters and banners for our team. Even if it is only friends and family, my heart still swells from the out pour of love and praise. I know I shouldn't be getting so sappy over this; but when your looked down on by other sport teams and other volleyball teams at the championship for being a team of mostly omegas, it's nice to see the people who were rooting for you all along.

After coach gives us one last heart felt speech, we let out a team howl and race off the bus to join the crowd outside. It didn't take me long to sniff out where my mom and friends were waiting, with big smiles and tears in their eyes.

"Congratulation's pup, I knew you would kick ass," mom says, crashing me in a big hug. She might be shorter than me, but her hugs can definitely break boulders. Or my spine.

"Mrs. Matthews, I think he's turning blue," Milo says giggling.

"Oh, sorry pup! I'm just so proud of you and how far you've come," she says, finally letting me go. "I just wish that I could have been there to cheer you on. Honestly, I don't know why the Head Alpha put restrictions on out of pack traveling recently. Nobody is attacking us as far as I know. Raven would have told me if there was a threat."

"I don't think my mother would disclose information like that if the public shouldn't know," Atlantis says, chuckling. I feel bad that I can't tell mom about the attack, but there's no defying the Head Alpha's orders to keep it secret. Plus, she would totally freak out if she knew that I took on an army of rogues with only four other people to back me up.

"Well enough about that official pack stuff, congratulations Eli on your victory!" Beth says, handing me a bouquet of flowers.

"Congrats dude! Here's some big ice packs for all of the bruises you're probably going to have, and pain meds if those aren't enough," Milo says handing me the bag of goodies.

"I didn't know we were supposed to bring gifts, so I'll just pay for your lunch on Monday," Atlantis says.

"Well thank you all for being here and thank you for the gifts, even though you didn't have to give me anything," I say, giving them all hugs.

"So, I don't owe you lunch?" Atlantis says.

"No, I'm definitely taking advantage of the offer. You not off the hook now," I say, laughing when she tries to frown before going back to smiling.

"Alright everyone, it's time for some celebratory Chinese food!" mom says, receiving burst of cheers from us as we pile into her car. I wave goodbye to my teammates as we drive out of the parking, thinking back on the fond times I shared with them. I know this won't be the last time I see any of them, but since me and a few others are graduating this year it's sad that my time playing with them has ended. And even though I wish that more sports teams would accept omegas, I'm glad that Melvin, Deion, Oscar, Kai, and I were able to make an impact and pave the way in volleyball for future students. No matter their secondary gender.

*****

"Ugh, I'm so stuffed I can't even think about moving anymore," I say collapsing onto one of my bean bags. The others do the same, all of us equally slipping into food comas after the feast at P.F. Chang's.

"Man, I really wanted to go over my lines with you guys again, but that would require energy that I can't muster yet," Beth says looking half asleep.

"Girl, you're going to do great. You have literally been practicing day and night for this musical. There were times when I had to force you to take food and water breaks," Milo says, lazily poking her.

"That's funny, considering she always fuses at me when I don't eat during my heats. Such a hypocritical momma bear," I say, shaking my head.

"Hey, this hypocrite was keeping your sweaty ass from dehydrating during heats. Besides, those missed lunch break weren't happening every day. I do take pride in resting my voice and staying in good health. Otherwise, I would miss a rehearsal, or worse, a performance," Beth says with a shudder. "I refuse to become ill and pass the chance to Vicky, after all my hard work."

"Isn't Vicky your understudy?" Atlantis asks.

"Yeah, but she keeps sneaking glares at me like she hopes that I'll drop dead or something. The bitch is still salty that she didn't get the part for Penny Pingleton," she huffs out.

"You'll only have to deal with the glares for a few more days until opening night. I'm sure you'll manage," Atlantis says.

"I wouldn't be surprised if she was petty enough to use my full name against me," Beth grumbles.

As Beth continues to talk about theatre drama (lol), I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, and pull it out to see a text from Eris. As well as an older text from Grayson. We had exchanged numbers after the Halloween party incident just in case I needed to report any "suspicious rogue activity", but even then, I wouldn't willingly text Gray. Might as well start with the bad so I can put more energy towards the good. I open Grayson's text first:

>Heard that you won the championship. My lucky charm must have worked really well.

Of course, he wouldn't say congrats to me, don't know why I expected anything else.

No asshole🖕We won because we're amazing<

Plus I didn't even bother bringing your stupid little gifts🤮<

Sure, I may be lying, but there's no way he'll know. There's no way that I would tell him that I've been wearing this bracelet every day. Or that Spark persuaded me into wearing the shirt he gave me as pjs because it "helped him sleep through the nerves". Nope, rather die than tell him. I exit out of Gray's messages and enter into Eris's:

>Congratulations Eli!🥳 I knew you could do it🏆

>I wish that I had been there to cheer you on🥺Stupid journalism club meeting got in the way😔

I smile at the message and quickly reply back.

It's okay<

Conner took a lot of photos at the event, so you'll have lots of first hand material to work with👍<

>Still, it would have been cool to hang out with you and everyone else in the moment😔

It's at this moment that an idea pops into my head. Practice and games are over now, and I don't have much else going on besides boring school work. So, wouldn't now be the perfect time to try for that date again? I text out my next message carefully, trying not to drop my phone as my hands start to shake a little.

Hey, since I'm back in town again, maybe we could try again for that hang out?<

Ages seem to pass by as I anxiously stare at my phone, praying that the message wasn't worded weirdly or anything.

Booo, let's just text Grayson instead. At least your hands aren't sweaty when you talk to him

Shut up, this is important to me

And our mate is important to me. But nooo, let's talk to the chick who every time we hang out with her something bad or inconvenient happens. Actually, now that I think about it. Every time things fail with her; we get to see Gray again...

...

You know what, maybe I was too harsh on the girl. Go ahead and ask her out champ, I believe in you.

Whatever. This time things are going to go well, you'll see

A buzz from my phone snaps me out of my conversation with Spark, and I zone in on Eris's response.

>Sure Eli, I'd love to.

"YES!" I shout out loud startling my friends, and earning some confused looks.

"Guys, guess who's got a date."

*****

I straighten out my sweater one more time before entering the diner that Eris and I agreed to meet at. The plan is to eat lunch here and then go to the Fall Fair that's in town this week. Nothing to crazy, but still, something fun that can technically count as a first date if things go well. I'm still ten minutes early so I choose a booth somewhat close to the front, order a lemonade, and wait. I can't help but fiddle with my sleeves as my mind races from nerves and anticipation. I know we've hung out before at the party, but so much was going on than that our moment feels faded in the blur of events. Not to mention there was a good amount of alcohol in my system. So, today's the day for a fresh start, and tons of fun.

*****

I glance from my half empty glass of lemonade to my phone again. It's thirty minutes past our scheduled meet time but I'm trying to not worry about it. Shit happens sometimes,  and I don't want to seem obsessive by texting her a bunch. Besides, if anything major did happen she would have texted me by now. So, it's fine.

The waitress comes back over to me for a third time, so I finally give in and order some fries to hold me over until Eris arrives. She nods and rushes off to place my order. I decide to play a mobile game as I wait.

*****

Eli

Don't

I'm not going to say anything bad

Okay, good

But it has been an hour

I'm aware

And she didn't reply to your text. Or call.

There's probably traffic. There is a fair in town Spark.

Eli, we're werewolves. If we really need to go somewhere, we just shift and go there.

Well maybe she doesn't want to mess up her outfit while carrying it in her mouth. Or maybe she doesn't want to run here. You don't know!

Okay, okay. It's fine. We'll wait a little bit longer

*****

It's been two hours.

The sun is starting to set.

It's official. I've been stood up.

I knew it was too good to be true. I quickly wipe away the tears that start to fall with my sleeves, and when that doesn't work, I press my palms to my eyes. I mean, why would someone as pretty as her want to go out with me? Actually, this was only a hang out to her. I'm the one that got my hopes up and thought that this was something more. Goddess I'm a fucking idiot.

Eli you're not an idiot. That bitch doesn't even deserve you. Like, who makes plans with someone and then stands them up the next day. A bitch, that's who.

I don't know Spark-

No. I don't wanna hear it. You should not be treated like this. Especially without an explanation. Like, even if she didn't purposefully stand you up, she still didn't respond to your messages or call to say what happen. She fucking fell off the radar, and left you here waiting. I fucking swear if I see her again, I'm going to rip her fucking bitch ass face off!

Spark that's not going to help anything.

It'll make me feel better, and that's what matters.

"Um, Eli, are you okay?"

I look up at the person standing next to my table to see none other than Grayson Farrell. Because of course the universe isn't done punishing me yet. Might as well have someone who would thrive on my misery see me like this, since being stood up wasn't enough.

"Fucking shit Gray, why are you here?" I groan out, trying my best to wipe away the rest of my tears.

"Well, I was hungry, and diners are usually a good solution to that problem. I would assume that you're here for the same reason, but you're sitting here crying with a glass of lemonade. So, I'm guessing not."

"Wow. You could be a detective with those observation skills."

"Okay seriously," he says, sitting across from me. "What happened? You smell distressed."

"Wouldn't you like to know. I bet your dying to know who got me this upset so you can high-five them or something."

"Someone did this to you?" Gray says, furrowing his brows.

"Don't act all concerned. You don't actually care, so why bother. Honestly, I'm surprised you're not laughing at how stupid I look."

"Eli," Gray says, grabbing both of my hands so now I have to look at him. "I'm not some monster that gets off on seeing you suffer. I genuinely want to know what happened. No jokes. No insults. Just the truth." I stare at him in shock, searching for any hints of deceit or humor. But there's none. He's actually concerned about me. Fuck. I let out a long sigh, slumping down a bit, before looking back at him. "Fine, I'll tell you. But first let go of my hands you weirdo."

"Right," he says taking back his hands.

I wrap my arms around myself, sighing as I debate how much detail I want to go into. "Okay well, to make a long story short, I got stood up."

"Wait, really?"

"Yep, stood up."

"By who?"

"Not telling you that."

"Why not?"

"Because a small part of me is still holding on to some hope that this is all some big misunderstanding. So, I'm not going to throw them under the bus. Yet."

"We'll circle back to that. How long have you been here?"

"...Two hours."

"Two hours!"

"Well shit, let the whole pack know," I say sinking down in my seat.

"Sorry," Gray says lower his voice back down. "Why would you wait two hours? I would have dipped after fifteen minutes."

"Because I'm a desperate, sad, little omega who gave someone the benefit of doubt. Sorry."

"And they didn't message you or anything?"

"Nope."

"This person sounds like an ass," Gray growls.

"I guess so."

"Why won't you tell me who it is?"

"Why do you want to know? What, are you going to beat them up for me of something? I don't need you to defend my honor or something. We're not even close like that," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Fine then. Don't tell me. Be stubborn."

"I will."

We both sit in tense silence for a few minutes until my waitress from earlier comes up to my table. I guess she assumed that Gray was the one I was waiting on because she asks for his order. Before I can tell her that he was leaving, he decides to order not only for himself but for me too. She hurries off with the order and I'm left to glare at Gray.

"What? Good food is always the best remedy to a broken heart. Besides, you can't hate on a classic cheeseburger," he says with a shrug.

"I don't want your pity food."

"It would be rude if I ate some delicious food right in front of you while you starved. Even I'm not that cruel."

"Well then go find your own table to eat at asshole."

"But I'm already so comfortable at this table. Besides it's not like I'm taking someone's spot," Gray says, making elaborate stretches.

"..."

"What to soon?" Gray grunts and glares at me, rubbing his now sore ankle that I just kicked. "Always a pleasure to be in your company."

"Hm, wish I could say the same, but your big feet take up so much space under this table," I say, giving a short laugh.

"Oh, you think you're funny?"

"I'm fucking hilarious."

"Well for someone who claims to be so high and mighty, you sure seem to like that gift I gave you," he says, gesturing to my wrist. I pull my sleeve down over the bracelet, but he just starts to laugh at my attempt to hide it. Fucking knothead, I should just throw the thing at him.

"Forget this. I leaving. Enjoy shoveling food into that trash disposal you call a mouth," I say getting up.

"Wait. Hold on," Gray says, gently grabbing my wrist. "Look, I already placed the orders. So why waste the food, when I know that you're hungry. Besides, if you can resist the urge to kick me till the end of the meal then I'll even pay for it. Honestly that sounds like one hell of a deal if you ask me."

"Mmm... I don't know... You have such kickable legs... and I hate you..." I say contemplating my options.

"I sure you can stomach through one meal with me. I mean you almost did it before."

"Yeah, and that was a disaster."

"Yeah, well, so are most of our encounters. Come Eli, don't be stubborn when there's free food on the line."

I don't know if it's the promise of free food, or the fact that he's been rubbing soothing circles on my hand throughout all of this, but I eventually sigh and sit back down. He gives me a triumphant smirk but I just roll me eyes at him. I mean, who would pass up free food? Even if it is with Grayson. Our conversation after that moves on to other random things; from school, to life stories, to interests. Apparently, we have a shared interest in not only music but also mystery books and puzzles. However, he lost some points when he said that he likes black coffee and doesn't like warmer sessions.

We take a break from talking as soon as the food arrives, and chow down. Which gives me some time to think, because this is weird. Like, yeah, I stayed for the free food but I didn't think that we would be chilling like we have been. Sure, there were a few arguments here and there but nothing big like they usually are. Which is weird, right? Things shouldn't be going this smoothly, and yet they are. Like when we had that car ride together. So, do I still hate him? I guess not, but I don't like him either. Whatever, it's not like we'll be hanging out more after this, or at all.

*Sigh* Why must you always stay in denial?

Don't start, I not going to fall head over heels for him because he bought me a burger.

Okay. Sure. Whatever. But can we at least call him our friend?

Nope. The most I'm willing to give you is frenemies.

Ugh, fine I'll take it. For now.

The waitress takes our plates away and places the bill on the table. Which I eagerly pass over to Gray who rolls his eyes before placing a wad of cash with it. He better tip her good considering how much money I saw in his wallet. I get ready to take my leave when I see Gray's eyes go wide all of a sudden. I look over my shoulder and see Luke and Victor about to walk into the diner. Well shit.

"Get down quickly!" He whisper-shouts, pushing me down. I have two options: refuse and face the rath of Luke head on, or hide and pray. While I'm not a fan of hiding, I don't really want to deal with Luke while still feeling kind of crappy and sitting across from Gray. There would be to many questions and I don't have the answers or patience. So down I go.

"Gray? Is that you man? What's up!" Luke says greeting Gray. I can see his feet standing next to the table, but Victor must have gone somewhere else in the restaurant.

"Nothing much man, just came to get something to eat and chill. What about you?" Gray says.

"Vic wanted to grab a pastry or something from here before we went back to the pack house. You should swing by if you're not busy with Head Alpha chores today." Then my worst fears become reality, as Luke slides into my former seat. Forcing me to back up towards Gray, to the point that I'm now squished in between his legs. Well, shit.

Talk about compromising positions

You, shut up

I guess Luke started looking at his phone, because Gray looks down at me with a questioning, but amused expression. I hold back the urge to growl insults at him and instead settle on flipping him off. This guy has some nerve because he just casually pats my head, like I'm his pet, before continuing to talk again. This asshole needs to tell him to leave, why are they still talking? Their conversation drones on and on, and my leg is starting to cramp up. I don't care what Gray said earlier, this fucking knothead is relishing in my misery right now. It also doesn't help that being this close to him is giving me that warm, fuzzy feeling again.

Well, drastic times call for sabotage. I start pinching his ankles and legs, but he just shakes it off and nudges for me to stop. I take some time to tie his shoelaces together, but then realize that that won't affect him unless he gets up. I could punch him in the dick, but as funny as that would be it would draw attention to my hiding spot.

...Maybe... I can try something more subtle...

I start grazing my hand up from his knee towards his inner thigh, and that definitely get a reaction out of him. Gray tenses up a bit and tries to slightly scoot away, but I keep my hand firm on his thigh. I caress my hand further up until my thumb is only a centimeter away from his bulge. Now he's really getting riled up, because he glances down at me and forms a mind link.

G:What the fuck are you doing?!

E:Get him to leave now, or else you're going to have an interesting accident in this diner.

G:You wouldn't dare.

E:Try me.

To drive my point home, and not really thinking about my next action, I full on grope him through his jeans. Earning a moan from Gray that he's quick to cover up with a cough. Would I actually jerk him off in this diner? No, but I know Gray's not willing to risk it.

"Dude, you good over there?" Luke says.

"Yeah, yeah. Just sore from working out earlier. Uh, by the way, I was able to get that throwing knife kit for you. It's in my room at the pack house if you wanted to give it a go," Gray says.

"Wait, really! Vic, hurry the fuck up, I've got some new knives to try out," Luke says, finally sliding out of the booth. They say their goodbyes, and I wait for a few minutes until Gray nudges for me to come up.

"Man, does it feel good to finally stretch out in a chair again. I tell you, that floor was starting to make me feel grimy," I say, stretching out my sore legs.

"What the fuck was that?" Gray says, glaring at me.

"What was what?" I say, giving him an innocent look.

"Don't give me that bullshit. You know what I'm talking about."

"What~, all I did was hide under that table for what felt like eons."

"Yeah, and you seem to be missing the part where you nearly gave me a hand job in a public building, in front of my friends," Gray hisses out.

"I recall no such thing; all I did was persuade you into ending you little chat. You're the one who jumped to conclusions. Besides, I'm the victim here, it was cramped under there."

"I cannot stand you," Gray says, combing a hand through his hair.

"That makes two of us, and you're going to go bald pulling at your hair like that," I say standing up. "Well as great as this was, it wasn't. See ya."

I turn to leave but Gray suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me down until his lips are right next to my ear. "The next time you're in-between my legs and on your knees, you better have the balls to finish the job," he growls, sending chills up my spine. He gives a quick nip at the scent gland on my neck before letting me go with a smirk. My face instantly heats up and all I can manage to do is flip him off one last time before rushing out of the diner. There's no way in hell that I'm ever returning to that place again.

**I'd like to state first that I am not an expert on how volleyball championships work. This is just what I was able to grasp from researching on Google. If there's anyone who has been to a championship reading this, please let me know because Google is not helpful. Second, I accidentally wrote Eli to having the wrong position in chapter 16. It is fixed now👍

Third thing I'd like to state: HOLY SHIT 11k READS?!🤯(I kid you not I had to change this number several times while I wrote this chapter) Much love to all of you who have been enjoying this story💖, whether you just found it or have been here since the beginning. Life's been a bit hectic so hopefully I can have less big time spaces between updates. So, stay tuned!👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 129 8
*MATURE* Dantè Willow, a 21- year old omega abhorred Alphas after an unsightly incident that transpired right before his eyes. His life immediately v...
682K 29.6K 32
Book 1 - Gyres of Hunger (MxM) A world that has divided citizens into different classes, there's people who rule and people who follow. Ezekiel is s...
7K 307 31
I'm not sure if this is going to be a stand alone story or a series of different stories just yet. Luca and Leif have only ever had each other. Both...
148K 6K 43
Jack was broken. Being the sole survivor of a massacre that killed his entire family while still a child weighed heavily on him. Fearing for his life...