The Heart's Content

By Emeraldlily16

The classic stories of Hans Christian Andersen meet the Southern Charm of Louisiana when a mermaid who's curi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125

Chapter 22

43 4 0
By Emeraldlily16

The restaurant they went to for lunch wasn't anything really expensive or extravagant, just a quaint little area outside by the docks. Charlie thought it was adorable but when she was reading the menu she became very confused by some of the meals offered.

"What in the seven seas is a shrimp burger?" She asked. "Well I know what shrimp are but not so much the burger."

"You don't know what a burger is?" Alastor responded.

"No. Is it a type of freshwater fish?"

"No it's cow meat."

"So it's basically manatee?"

"Manatee? I hate to belittle your intelligence my dear but how does a cow bring manatee to your mind?"

"Silly, don't you know that sea-cow is another name for manatee?" Charlie giggled.

"Oh...That's what you meant. Well yes I knew that but there is a land cow and that's what a burger is made of. Wait, how could you not know about land cows? I know communes tend to remain oblivious to certain aspects of information but cattle is pretty much a given."

"Um...Uh..." Poor Charlie didn't know how to respond to that.

"Oh wait I think I know why."

"You do?" She asked nervously.

"You're probably from one of those vegan communes. I knew they were hardcore about not eating animals but I never thought it would be at the point of keeping them in the dark about the act of it."

"Well you're sort of right. We don't eat land food very much. We're on a sea food diet."

"What a coincidence, so am I. I see food, I eat it. Ha-ha!"

Charlie laughed and it was like the shimmer of the wind upon the water or the twinkling of bubbles that formed on the surface. He was surprised by her amusement, normally no one found his jokes funny. Not even his sister. This young woman certainly was one of a kind. He was sure that he had never seen anyone else like her in his entire life. Well almost sure.

He didn't know why, but ever since he met Charlie he had a teasing feeling that he already knew her. That they had made each other's acquaintance some time ago. It was her eyes that teased him. Those unusual but lovely eyes that didn't seem to want to stay one color. He knew he had seen eyes like that at another time. Eyes that were attached to a face that was just as sweet as hers. But each time he searched his brain for any memory of those eyes and that face, it came up blank.

"Charlie." He said.

"Yes?"

"Is it possible that we've met before? You seem vaguely familiar to me."

"Uh-oh." Charlie thought. "He's probably referring to the other night when I saved him. Okay, be cool. Don't panic."

"No I don't believe we have." She fibbed.

"I figured we most likely hadn't. I've never gone anywhere near a commune in my entire life and I wouldn't want to." He chuckled.

He looked down briefly and caught sight of her necklace. There was something about that pendent and chain that made the bell ring even louder. Had he seen it on display at a store perhaps?

"That's an interesting necklace." He said. "May I ask where you got it from?"

"Family heirloom." She said putting her hand over the jewelry almost protectively. "It was given to my sister when she turned fifteen and then it was passed down to me when I turned seven."

"Are you and your sister close?"

"Actually I never met her. She died before I was born."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's fine. My family has mostly recovered from it. My father still hasn't healed completely."

"I can't say I'm surprised. I don't think anyone ever completely recovers from losing someone they love."

"I suppose not but let's just say losing her has led my father to make some questionable decisions."

"That I can relate to all too well." He tried empathized with. "When my father passed, the grief impaired my mother's judgement very much....But we probably shouldn't become so personal right away. Not to mention today is much too pretty to be discussing depressing matters."

"You're right. Let's change the subject. What shall we do after lunch?"

"We'll be going to the police station." He answered.

"What are we going to do down there?"

"Find a suitable area for you to take up residence in."

"Oh that's not necessary. If you don't want me staying in your house then I'll just go back to staying in my grotto."

"Yeah about that, I don't think a grotto is a proper form of shelter. At least not for a lady."

"Well it's either your house or my grotto. I'm not staying anywhere else."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't know or trust anyone around here. Except for you."

"How can you trust me? You don't even know me."

"I know Beth and she says that if I can't trust you then I can't trust any man."

"But she's a child. She doesn't know everything."

"Does that mean she's wrong about you?"

"No. She's not but you don't know that. You don't have any evidence that she's right."

"True but sometimes you just have to go with your instincts and mine say that you're very unorthodox but trustworthy."

"Unorthodox? You think I'm unorthodox?" He resisted the urge to laugh at the irony. "What gives you the idea that I am unorthodox?"

"Well you don't exactly fit the description of the human males your age that I have been given."

"Which is?"

"Irresponsible, shallow, dim-witted, hormone driven, inconsiderate, crass, careless, dishonest, and slothful."

"Well for men in their twenties you're not that far off."

"But you don't seem to have any of those traits."

"Well I've always been very mature for my age. Some would call me an old soul. Nevertheless, many people put up false first impressions. I'm not saying I'm not who I appear to be but there are plenty of people who are and you could end up trusting the wrong person."

"All the more reason why I should stay with you, don't you think? Unless of course you don't like me. If you don't I completely understand. I know that I can be a nuisance."

"No! No! I like you. I like you very much."

She blushed, as did he when he realized what that sounded like.

"As a person." He corrected. "I like you very much as a person. I just...I'm not used to housing anyone other than Beth. On the other hand though, I could use some help in regards to her."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't misunderstand, Beth is a good kid but she's become very restless and rebellious lately. Whenever she's home alone I know she's bound to let her curiosity lead her into some kind of mischief. I'm willing to bet that she's even gone swimming when I'm away despite my instructions not to."

Charlie only sipped her drink.

"I just want to make sure that she doesn't get any trouble when I'm gone. If I were to let you stay, would you mind keeping an eye on her when she's not in her classes and I'm at work?"

"Of course." She happily agreed. "Beth is wonderful. I enjoy spending time with her. But what would I have to do?"

"Just don't let her leave the house by herself and if she has to go swimming would it be too much to ask that you go with her to the beach."

"None at all."

"So it's a deal then?"

"Uh-huh."

"Splendid. Now on to lunch." He looked at the menu. "How do you feel about a simple order of fish and chips?"

"Sounds tasty to me."

When the waitress came by they made their orders and about half an hour later their meal was brought to them. When Charlie first tasted the battered and cooked fish her eyes grew wide with ravenous astonishment. All the fish she had ever eaten before had been raw with no flavor or seasonings, so this dish was an edible miracle and she couldn't stop herself from digging in. She kept pulling off one piece of the meat and stuffing it into her mouth, wolfing it down.

"Careful you don't choke dear." Alastor said staring at her. "Why don't you slow down a little bit?"

"Sorry. This is just so good." She replied.

"I'm sure it is but take it easy. You're acting like you've never eaten fish before. You said you lived off of a sea food diet."

"Yes but I've never eaten fish like this before."

"Really? Do you eat fish right when you catch it or something?" He teased.

"Sure. Don't you?"

Alastor was taken aback by her response. So she not only came from a commune that ate only fish, but only ate fish raw and uncooked? This was the weirdest commune he had ever heard of and he had heard of plenty. But he wouldn't embarrass Charlie. He just kept smiling, ate his lunch, and wondered about this peculiar woman. She was definitely going to make this Summer very entertaining for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.6K 1.1K 50
~A/N: I suck at summaries but I promise it's worth to check out!~ Charlie has the impression that this is her first time meeting the famous Radio Ove...
14K 455 21
He killed her kind but he would never let anyone harm her Jacob Holland x Siren!OC "The Sea Beast" fanfiction
9.5K 384 45
For centuries mothers and fathers have read legenary stories to the delight of children everywhere. But there is one tale that has yet to be told... ...
2.1K 109 76
Charlie Morningstar only wrote to novelist Rosie Parish, to ask for advice on writing her own book. But instead she was invited to spend a few days a...