The Madonna, The Virgin, and...

By Cfunk3

Mary, Erin, and Lexi are three sisters who couldn't be any more different. After their mother abandons them... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Thirty

3.3K 336 40
By Cfunk3

LEXI

As soon as I sent the text Mark got up. It was like he intuitively knew that I was calling in reinforcements and he didn't have much time. I kept my eyes glued to him, watching as he got up from his end of the bar and pushed his way through the crowd. I wasn't going to just sit there and wait for him to corner me, so I grabbed my purse and started fighting through the throngs of people around me. If I could just get to the exit without running into him, I could park myself by the bouncer and wait for Will to show. Mark wouldn't try anything in front of someone else, although I wasn't entirely 100% sure about that.

I pushed open the door of the club and squeezed by some people trying to get in. When I found the bouncer I stood far enough away from him that I wasn't in his way, but near enough that I knew he could still see me. My phone chimed with a message; it was from Will saying that he was on his way. I knew he wouldn't ask any questions. I knew Will enough to know that he'd save those for later, and I still had no idea how I was going to explain all of this to him.

I could tell him that I was drunk, that I didn't have enough money for a cab. He'd buy that. With my history there was no way he wouldn't.

"Why are you always running away from me?"

My insides seized. It was stupid of me to think he wouldn't follow me out here. I'd had hoped Mark would've given up, but it seemed he hadn't changed. He was still after me. As he stepped closer to me my body armed and I could feel the impulse to flee or fight battling it out inside me. "What do you want Mark?" I hissed, hoping not to draw any unwanted attention, but not foolish enough to antagonize him.

"Lexi, baby, is that how you treat an old friend?"

I could smell the alcohol on him and fought the desire to wretch that was tearing its way up my esophagus. "We're not friends," I seethed, wishing for about the billionth time in my life that he'd just go away.

"You're right Lexi," he slurred, trailing a finger down my stomach. "We're more than friends, aren't we? We've got a history together you and me."

I yanked my body away from him in revulsion. He couldn't be serious. Did Mark really think he was dealing with the same girl he screwed with two years ago?

"If you're referring to that time you drugged and raped me, then yeah; I guess we do have a history together."

Mark laughed. He actually laughed and all I wanted to do in that moment was tear off his balls and shove them down his throat. He deserved that and so much worse.

"Jeeze Lexi, you're acting as if you didn't like it." The repulsion raged through me and almost blinded me with fury. Mark leaned in closer and I could almost taste his rancid breath as he spoke. "I can promise you I made sure you liked it."

I almost gagged as I pushed myself away from him, but he just started laughing again, getting his rocks off from the horrified look on my face. "You don't believe me?" He asked, digging his phone out of the back pocket of his jeans. "Do you need a little refresher?"

The blood drained from my face when he started tapping at his phone. He turned it towards me and that same picture, the one he showed me two years ago, was there on the screen. I thought he would have deleted it by now, or maybe gotten a new phone and lost the picture, but I was wrong. Mark was like a sad cliché come to life- The former jock, holding onto his glory days and still boasting about his high school conquests while the rest of the world moved on. I couldn't allow him the power he had over me; it'd been too long.

"Do you think I care about that?" I spat. For a second he looked as if he'd lost control and I could see him scrambling for something to say. But then, just as quickly, his eyes narrowed and he edged closer.

"I think your family still would."

I almost laughed in his face. "My family?" I huffed. "My father is dead and my sisters all have their own shit going on. Do what you want with your sick little pictures you fucking pervert." For the first time I felt like I had some control back. The shift was noticeable and Mark couldn't stand it.

Unfortunately Will picked that exact moment to show up. Something about his very presence drew my eyes over to him and Mark saw me notice Will. Maybe my face changed or maybe he heard me suck in my breath, but he seized the opportunity that had presented itself.

"Well, well, well, it looks like you're moving up in the world Lexi- wannabe rocker to straight laced college boy. That's Will Garrity, isn't it? I thought I recognized him the other night." He let out a dark chuckle and I hated that he was making the connection. I knew he'd use it against me and I'd do anything to prevent Will from finding out anything about that night. I wasn't ready, and Mark probably knew that.

I glanced over at Will. His expression changed when he caught sight of me. It was like his whole body relaxed for a moment, but then he noticed Mark. A hard look concealed his normally gentle eyes and I wondered for a second if he remembered that day Mark was harassing me outside my house, or maybe he'd had his own issues with him over the years, most people had.

"I wonder what Mr. College Boy would say if I showed him the pictures. He's already scrapping the bottom of the barrel with you Lexi. Do you really think he'll stick around once he sees them?"

"Fuck you," I growled in a low voice, barely moving my lips but making my intentions clear. I wouldn't let him to do this to me. I wouldn't allow him make Will think any less of me than he already must.

"Come on Lexi." He turned his body into mine, pressing his crotch against my thigh and squeezing a handful of my ass in his greedy palm. My first instinct was to look over at Will and it was obvious from his face that he saw Mark on me, but I knew if I tried to push him away Mark would only make it worse.

"What? So you want me to fuck you or you'll show him the pictures?" I kept my eyes on Will as he crossed the street and made his way over to us. I could tell by his body language he was pissed. He didn't know why I had dragged him out here only to find me hanging outside the bar with Mark Stuben all over me.

Mark let out a rough laugh. "I don't want to fuck you Lexi. Jesus, I'm not nineteen anymore; my tastes have matured."

I threw my eyes up at him, fed up with his theatrics. If he wanted something in return for the pictures I wished he'd just spit it out. "What then?"

He shrugged and flashed an arrogant smile. "Money of course."

I almost laughed at him again. "I don't have any money."

He pulled back his head and looked down at me like I was playing him. "You may not have any money, but everyone in town knows your sister is engaged to Matt Collins. I know what a pro football player makes Lexi." He stepped back from me and it couldn't have come a moment too soon as Will was pushing his way through the crowded sidewalk.

"You'll figure it out." Mark raised his phone up in the air and gave it a little shake. "If you still care what people think. Because it's not just Will Garrity that'll see th pictures Lexi. With one click of a button they'll be out there for everyone ."

And with those words he ducked back into the club. My mind was whirling as I guiltily spun my head around. Will was walking up to me with a frown on his face and I didn't know how to explain things. I could only imagine what he was thinking. I stepped towards him and forced a smile onto my face, but I'm sure it looked as strained as it felt.

"You came."

His dark eyebrows rose, bunching together in either suspicion or accusation; I wasn't sure yet. "Lexi, what's going on?" His eyes strayed over my shoulder and I was sure that he was looking in the direction Mark disappeared in. I knew he was confused. I texted him telling him I needed him and then he showed up to this? Mark Stueben rubbing up against me outside of a bar.

"I drank too much and don't have enough money for a cab. I needed a ride." The lies came tumbling out; I was so good at them by now. Will hesitated for a moment, staring down at me and studying my face like he knew there was more than I was telling him, and he was deciding how far to push me. It made me nervous. I didn't think I could handle an interrogation from Will.

"Can you take me home?" I asked, redirecting the conversation and walking in the direction of his car. I wanted to get out of there. I wanted to get Will out of there. Mark was still lurking around somewhere and I didn't need anymore trouble from him tonight. Will paused for a moment and for a fraction of a second I feared that he'd reached his limit with me, like he was bound to. But then he caught up with me, and for some reason he reached out his hand and laced his fingers through mine.

And for the first time since I noticed Mark at the bar, I finally let out a breath. I was with Will. He felt safe to me. He felt like home and that was a very bad thing.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Well Mary certainly took a leap of faith and went with what her heart (or at least her body) wanted, and kissed finally kissed Ian. I think it's kind of becoming apparent that Mary doesn't have the best confidence in the world and that this is kind of a huge step for her. But then the voice in the darkness... I'm sure you all have a pretty good idea as to who it is. Anyone care to wager how that's going to change things for Mary, if at all?

I've got to say that this was one of my favorite chapters to write for Erin. I hadn't really been connecting to her as a character but when this scene came out of me in this chapter and the next, I finally did. As much as Erin wants to toss aside her "V Card", it isn't that simple. It's a huge step for her and judging by her mad dash into the ocean, one she isn't quite ready for. She's been kind of a polarizing character so far. It's funny really, when I put the first few chapters up a lot of readers had a real strong reaction against Lexi, but as the story has unfolded it seems more of you are understanding her and now Erin is the sistr who is "on the outs". Well, hopefully, this chapter and the next one with her will help you relate to her a little better. They certainly helped me! I no longer dread writing her chapters! Thank God!

Then there's poor Lexi, stuck in a bar where Mark Steuben is. I've got to admit that I named him Mark Steuben for a reason. I'm sure some of you can make the connection to his character in the book and a certain horrific real life event. It's just me making a little dig ;)

Regardless, Mark's up to his same old disgusting habits. But he's changed the game this time and wants money from Lexi. There were moments there in her confrontation with him where she showed her strength. There were other moments where she didn't and returned to that same girl that she was who believed everything to be her fault.

It'll be interesting to see what she decides to do. I'm just as curious as you guys. One bad habit of mine when I write? I don't hammer out the details. I just get a general idea of where I want the story to go and then let the characters take me on a ride. Any of you reading The Return series? Well, all that stuff with Caroline, Sarah Eden, and Derrick...none of it was planned out. It's just where the story took me so I'm hoping for the same lightening bolt again ;)

I'll see you guys back here next week. I've got to say I've got some great chapters lined up for you. Mary confronts the voice in the dark, Erin and Jasper get personal while skinning dipping, and Lexi has a moment of reckoning with Will. Can't wait to see what you think!

Drop me a comment and please don't forget to hit the vote buttons on each chapter. Us Wattpad authors work hard for these "tips" so please don't be stingy with them!

Happy reading...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.7K 62
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...