the muggle next door | f.w. g...

By icemacchiato

Daisy's father said, and she herself agreed, that the Weasleys were one peculiar bunch. They weren't as afflu... More

prologue
main casts and characters
0.01
PART I.
↳ 1.01
↳1.02
↳ 1.03
↳ 1.04
↳ 1.05
↳ 1.06
↳ 1.07
↳ 1.08
↳ 1.09
↳ 1.10
↳ 1.11
↳ 1.12
PART II.
↳ 2.01
↳ 2.02
↳ 2.03
↳ 2.04
↳ 2.05
↳ 2.06
↳ 2.07
↳ 2.08
PART III.
↳ 3.01
↳ 3.02
↳ 3.03
↳ 3.04
↳ 3.05
↳ 3.06
↳ 3.07
↳ 3.08
↳ 3.9
↳ 3.10
↳ 3.11
↳ 3.12
↳ 3.13
↳ 3.14
↳ 3.15
↳ 3.16
↳ 3.17
↳ 3.18
PART IV.
↳ 4.1
↳ 4.2
↳ 4.3
↳ 4.4
↳ 4.5
↳ 4.6
↳ 4.7
↳ 4.9
↳ 4.10
↳ 4.11
↳ 4.12
↳ 4.13
↳ 4.14
↳ 4.15
↳ 4.16
↳ 4.17
↳ 4.18
↳ 4.19
↳ 4.20
↳ 4.21
↳ 4.22
↳ 4.23
↳ 4.24
↳ 4.25
↳ 4.26
↳ 4.27
PART V
↳ 5.1
↳ 5.2

↳ 4.8

3.9K 202 41
By icemacchiato

the first morning

December 27th, 1995

DAISY THOUGHT SHE was dreaming.

However sweet and beautiful, a dream was just a dream. A brief, fleeting story that she would forget momentarily after waking up.

She had been sleeping for most of the last two days, drifting in and out of consciousness. She could breathe a little better now, and the sharp pains had turned into incessant dull aches.

Or maybe because she was turning numb. She was starting to let go.

Except for an unfamiliar middle-aged man wearing doctor coat, she was always alone.

But last night, Mrs. Weasley came into her dream. Her eyes looked tired and more age lines were visible on her face —she looked like she had aged ten years in the last four months, but it was definitely her. And she kept on saying that she would save her... That they would be together again... Safely...

There was a surge of coldness and some strange words... 12 Grimmauld Place... Some order and some mythical bird...

The next time Daisy opened her eyes, she was back in bed.

It really was a dream, she thought, consumed by disappointment.

Of course, the dream was too good to be true, and it was too cruel. The Weasleys' sudden departure had knocked her down and she needed a long time to get back on her own two feet. She had forcefully banished every thought of them from her mind, pushing her physique and mental state to their limits, sparing no energy nor time to indulge herself with the hope of their return... Except for a few nights when the pain got too unbearable, and she let herself cry as she emptied out her feelings into unsent letters.

So why did they have to appear in her dream?

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

A/N:

Dun dun dun.....!!!

I know. Not a really good April Fool thing, right? Let's continue.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

UNTIL SHE REALIZED that the ceiling looked different. It was... black. Dusty. Washed off.

She grunted as she shifted in her position, and noticed that most of the dull aches had gone. Then she turned her head and found herself sleeping in an unfamiliar room.

"Daisy..."

She nearly choked when she saw Mrs. Weasley, knitting on a couch barely two feet away from her. "Mrs— Mrs. Weasley?"

"How are you feeling?" Her voice sounded half-muffled, but she could still make out her words.

"This— Is this real?"

"It is, it is!"

Daisy used all of her remaining strength to sit up and pulled Mrs. Weasley into a hug.

"My— my ear... It's ringing," Daisy said in alarm. Now that her mind was sound, the truth of her condition seemed to hit her all at once. "And my chest— I can't breathe— properly... My— my leg— My face—"

"Ssshh... It's okay," Mrs. Weasley said softly, "You'll be healed in no time, dear. All of these will go away."

"Where— am I?"

"Remember what I told you last time, that Arthur, Bill, Charlie, and I are joining an organization to defeat You-Know-Who, called Order of the Phoenix? This is the headquarter."

Mrs. Weasley ended up sitting beside Daisy and briefed her about the Order like it was a bedtime story.

"Well, I can't tell you much —none of the kids know much— but we're trying to keep You-Know-Who from getting his dirty hands on a secret weapon, while persuading people to stand on our side. You will be properly introduced later, I presume, but there are a few members that you've heard of, I'm sure..."

They didn't sleep much for the rest of the night.

"Remus Lupin, used to teach in Hogwarts. Also Mad-Eye Moody, but the real one. There is Dumbledore, of course, and Gryffindor House's Head, Minerva McGonagall... Oh, you're going to love Tonks! She used to be a Hufflepuff student from Charlie's year. She's an Auror now."

Daisy didn't want to close her eyes.

She was afraid that everything would disappear if she did.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 27th, 1995

GINNY WAS THE first to come.

She knocked on the door twice, very lightly, then peered inside to see if Daisy and Mrs. Weasley were still asleep. When she saw that they weren't, she immediately dashed in, but halted on her feet right before she threw herself into the hug.

"Are you okay?"

Daisy looked down at her bloodied nightgown and swollen remnants of her mended bones... Unhealed bruises covered in lotions. One eye still swollen shut. A reddish bulge on her nosebridge. She must've looked terrifying.

"Okay."

"Can I give you a hug?"

"Yes."

Ginny tried her best to not ram onto Daisy and injure her further.

"I've missed you so much! How are you? Feeling better?"

"Great," Daisy chuckled, "Wonder— Wonderful! I can't— believe that— I'm here with— with you."

Ginny raised her eyebrows in concern at her shortness of breath.

"It's the collapsed lung," Mrs. Weasley explained, "In three weeks or so, she should be as good as new."

"What about— you? You look— like you were crying."

"I didn't cry."

She did. She was so scared for Daisy last night.

"How was life?"

Ginny glanced at Mrs. Weasley sheepishly and the mother, getting the hint, stood up from the bed. She moved her body around, stretching, "I should start preparing breakfast. Ginny, can you keep an eye on Daisy?"

"Of course!"

"Well then. In case of anything, I'll be in the kitchen."

The two girls sat on the bed, hugging their pillows. Ginny waited for her Mum to close the door behind her before blurting out, "I've got a boyfriend."

Of course. First and foremost news. Priorities sorted.

Daisy smiled mischievously, "Harry...?"

"N— No. I gave up on him after the Yule Ball," Ginny said. She was smiling, but Daisy could feel the tinge of sadness in her tone. "Our timing was off. I took that as a sign and broadened my circle of friends, just like you told me to. His name's Michael, and he's a Ravenclaw."

"How is he?"

"He's nice. And smart. Caring. He's not some kind of a rebound, I promise. I really like him."

"That's good..." Daisy nodded in approval.

"What happened?" Ginny asked, "You scared us. Bad."

"How did— did you know—"

"About your dire condition? Pig came in last night with a letter from your friend, Lucy."

"L— Lucy?"

"Yeah," Ginny nodded, "Said you're dying. Everyone went berserk, especially Fred. You know he rarely got mad, but he exploded when he read the letter."

Daisy could feel heat rushing up her pale cheeks, allowing herself to feel... feel hopeful.

"So? What happened?"

"I think— I should save— my breath and— wait for the— others to come—" Daisy said. "How's school? A lot— must've happened— since we last met. I kn— know you."

"Oh, a lot did happen," Ginny made a face. "I finally found someone I hate more than your Dad and You-Know-Who. Her name's Professor Umbridge. Wait— on second thought, I hate your Dad more."

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 27th, 1995

GINNY BECAME THE only person Daisy let into the room that morning.

Despite being the youngest, she was most definitely the fiercest, and she could keep her brothers in line. Ginny made sure that all her brothers stayed in the kitchen while Daisy cleaned herself up and changed into fresh clothes.

Of course, that annoyed the twins so much. They kept on grumbling and murmuring as they murdered their breakfast with forks, glancing at the open door every few seconds.

Finally, the girl of the hour appeared. Looking... clean.

She was wearing Mrs. Weasley's nightgown, bundled with a new knitted sweater in the color of cream and a baseball hat (no doubt something she just found loitering around like the rest of the Black family's stuffs) that was tilted forward so extremely. Still, everyone could see her face with all the batters and bruises.

Her left hand had Moody's old walking stick while her right hand unconsciously hovered over her bruised abdomen.

Despite the visible pain, she still smiled broadly like sunshine. Her golden hair wasn't up to its usual, exquisite bun, but it was brushed down neatly —of course with the help of Mrs. Weasley.

George immediately Apparated in front of her and pulled her into a hug, sending her into a fit of laughter.

"Did you just—?"

"I'm really glad that you're here!"

"—Apparated?"

"I know! It's legal for me to do anything now."

Fred had to push George away so he could get his turn. He took her face in his hands, feeling how close they finally were, observing even the slightest tinge of red or purple or blue on her skin. Both of their hearts swelled.

He wanted to blurt out what he was about to tell her last Summer, but instead he hissed, "I really ought to jinx your evil dad."

"Is that your— first sentence to— me after five months— apart?"

"Right." Fred scratched the back of his head.

"I missed you," Daisy initiated.

For once, Fred couldn't crack a joke, and he stuttered, "I— I missed you, too. Really."

"Ar— Are you hungry? Sit down, here, come on. Can you walk?"

"Yes," Daisy said, chuckling. She limped her way to the closest empty seat with Fred's hands awkwardly hovering around, afraid that she might fall.

With much difficulty, she sat down and put the walking stick beside her, against the table.

"What are you trying to pull here?" Fred asked, flicking the hat. "Trying to hide your face there?"

Daisy uncomfortably shifted in her seat, "I'm not— easy... or pleasant to— look at."

"Bollocks." Fred rolled his eyes. He took off the cap and fixed her hair with his fingers... Until he saw the full extent of her injuries up close and sighed, "I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"I'm sorry, too. For stirring— up troubles."

"Don't say that, Dee, it's not your fault."

She finally registered that there were three unfamiliar men staring at her in scrutiny.

"Ah, nice to— meet your acquaintance. I apolo— gize, you have— to see me looking— so unpresentable. My name is— Daisy Jane All— Allen. Please call me— Daisy."

The way she kept on gasping caused them to stare harder.

"You look more presentable than us most mornings," Bill came over after pouring himself a cup of coffee to pat her head, "It's good to see you up and about, Dee."

"I think I— know which one— of you is which," Daisy said, trying to thaw the situation. She pointed at Sirius first, "Mr. Sirius Black— I see you've— shaved."

The table erupted into laughter as Harry choked on his soup.

"And I've heard so much about you, Ms. Flower," Sirius remarked, laughing along as well, "Welcome to my humble abode. Enjoy your stay in the house of Black."

"And— Professor Lupin, right?" Daisy said, gesturing to the man beside Sirius. "They say— you're the best— D.A.D.A. professor— at Hogwarts."

"Well, that's..." Lupin chuckled at the flattery, "Thank you. You have a way with words, Daisy. But I'm not a Professor anymore."

"Well, then. Shall I call— you Mr. Lupin?"

"Remus, please."

"And Mr. Moody— Thank you for— the walking stick. And for coming— to get me— last night."

"'sfine," Moody grunted, finishing up his breakfast. He was bring his usual tough self, but deep down he was immensely troubled by the little, innocent girl's condition. He cleared his throat, "Just get well soon. Don't talk too much."

"Okay. Thank you."

Moody left soon, saying that he had way too much work to do, and that he'd update them with Mr. Weasley's discharge.

Once the bread and soup were all consumed and they had turned to eat the quick-mix lemon tarts, courtesy of Mrs. Weasley's good mood, it was Daisy's turn for storytelling.

"Quite good," Daisy said when Ron asked her how the last four months were. "Vincent came to— stay in Devon— and F— Father was happy— with our good relation— ship. He rarely got angry."

"Vincent?" Bill asked, raising his eyebrows, "Who's Vincent?"

Ginny answered in her stead, "Mr. Evil's business partner's son from New York. The handsome one. We saw them taking a walk together one noon, remember?"

Daisy shyly pressed her lips together at Ginny's nickname for her father but nodded, "Homeschool's done. I was getting— headstart on my— possible college curriculum."

"That's wonderful, dear!" Mrs. Weasley cooed then said to Sirius and Lupin, "She's the smartest kid I know. Brilliant."

George finally asked her about her injuries, and the dining table tensed.

"I got accepted— into three universities."

Hermione had to explain what university was to Ron for a minute.

"Including Harvard— Law School. My Father's wish." She gulped... slightly remembering how frightening it was, telling Mr. Allen about her decision. "But I chose— Engineering in Cambridge."

Everyone went radio silent.

Fred screeched incredulously, "That's it?!"

"You know— he's quite adamant— for me to listen to— his life choices. But I suppose, it is my— life. I shouldn't give— up my right to— choose my destiny."

"That's why? He beat you up this bad because you got into Engineering, Canlidge?"

"Cambridge," Daisy corrected.

"Oh..." Mrs. Weasley wiped a tear off her cheek and ran to give Daisy a hug, "Congratulations! Congratulations! We should celebrate, we do! How marvelous!"

"You don't even know what Engineering is, do you, Mum?"

"No! But it sounds fancy!"

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 27th, 1995

To Mr. Barry Allen,

Every parent has the right to discipline and teach their children, but not through violence.

Daisy Jane is a smart, kind, considerate young lady. She pays high regard about you and your opinion. She is inspirational, and she deserves more in this life than to be your punching bag.

It is best for you to take some time apart.

She will contact you whenever she see fit. In the mean time, you should think of how a parent and a gentleman with dignity should act.

Regards,
A good friend.

MR. ALLEN DASHED out of his daughter's empty bedroom with a roar, smashing things left and right as he made his way towards his own room.

The servants were scattered here and there, rigidly standing in fear of being his next victim. Including Lucy and her mother.

The young girl's eyes suddenly caught a second parchment that seemed out of place, tucked underneath Daisy's jewelry box with her initials written on it. L.W.

She craned her neck to see if Mr. Allen had disappeared, then took the paper and unfolded it swiftly.

Thank you for your letter. We'll take good care of her. She'll contact you soon. Stay safe.

-Weasleys

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.1K 2.1K 32
Pandora Black was the youngest Black sibling. She was close to both of her brothers, even Sirius, though he had left home when she wasn't even old en...
865K 21.6K 64
Professor Dumbledore and Professor Mcgonagall came late into the night to save you from your father. They would be taking you out of Ilvermorny and t...
60.3K 2.2K 7
Her entire 5th year at Hogwarts felt like a cauldron boiling perilously out of control, ready to explode at any given point. So when Hermione catches...
55.5K 1.4K 82
***Not Edited: Read with that in mind*** You practically grew up a Weasley. Living right down the hill with your muggle parents, you were always curi...