My Hero Academia: The Break o...

By Zeta_Lyfe

My Hero Academia, but edgier. When a child was born, glowing a bright gold, the era of supernatural evolution... More

Character Bio
Prologue
Chapter 1 Origin
Chapter 2 To be a Hero
Chapter 3 Roars
Chapter 4 Start
Chapter 5 Class. . . 1-B?!
Chapter 6 Combat Training
Chapter 7 Blooming Potential
Chapter 8 Starting Lines
Chapter 9 Incident
Chapter 10 USJ
Chapter 11 Game Over
Chapter 12 All Might
Chapter 13 In Each of Our Hearts
Interlude - U.S.A.
Chapter 15 The Sports Festival
Chapter 16 Cavalry Battle
Chapter 17 The Tournament Pt. 1
Chapter 18 The Tournament Pt. 2
Chapter 19 The Quarterfinals
Chapter 20 The Semifinals
Chapter 21 The Finals
Chapter 22 Titles
Chapter 23 Stars & All
Chapter 24 Internships
Chapter 25 Prelude
Chapter 26 Hosu
Chapter 27 Korriban
Chapter 28 Paradigm Shift
Chapter 29 Return
Chapter 30 Final Exams

Chapter 14 Reason To Be

119 6 1
By Zeta_Lyfe

How was school?

It was school.

Have you made any friends?

Yes.

Do you participate in class?

Yes.

Did you learn anything new today?

Yes.

Do you like your teachers?

Yes.

———————————————————————

Do you want to be a Hero, like me?

Yes.

Okay. . . Then what kind of Hero do you want to be?

I. . . . . I don't know.

———————————————————————

Within a clear meadow, at the crack of dawn. . . bolts of cerulean clashed!

Diamond: Better, but. . . predictable!

Zeny: Tch!

The mother and daughter raced across the fields, the former's blue aura significantly brighter and fuller than the latter's! Cracks spread across Zeny's skin, her power rising as she pounced! A heavy strike was deflected with the mere swipe of the bluenette's hand, the force blowing harshly against the grass! The blue highlighted ravennette roared as she kicked herself at her mother, unleashing a flurry of rapid strikes, only for the elder woman to negate them faster than they could be thrown! Focusing her pain into her right arm, Zeny reeled it back and launched it forward, a massive burst of force rocketing out of her! Right as she tried to catch her breath, a hand was placed on her shoulder from behind.

Diamond: I win.

Almost instantly, a fist was flying at her, the woman only tilting her head to evade.

Zeny: Please, take this seriously. . .

Diamond: *frowns* I am.

Zeny: *mumbles* Doesn't really feel like it when you spend four hours taunting me. . .

Diamond: Well, I'd prefer to annoy you to get your blood flowing over beating it into flowing.

Zeny: *sighs*

The girl let herself fall onto her butt, beyond peeved about this morning's training session.

Diamond: . . . Your style is quick, flowing, strong. Only problem is that all of it falls apart once you get frustrated. It happens too fast when you fight anyone beyond you.

Zeny: Not really in my control here. . .

Diamond: We went over this. You-

Zeny: *rolls eyes* I control my pain. I get it. I can do that in case you haven't noticed.

She pointed to where her charged punch had landed, a large divot in the field.

Diamond: We both know I didn't mean physically.

Zeny: . . .

The mother sat down beside her.

Diamond: Sweetie, I'm not saying you should just block your emotions. And it's okay to get frustrated, but if you let that frustration control you, you'll just make mistakes. Instead, use that frustration to push yourself further. . .

Zeny let the lesson sink in. Use emotions, but don't let them overwhelm you.

Zeny: *whispers* Easier said than done.

She yawned and leaned into her mother, shutting her eyes as the sun rose further. They watched the sun rise together, letting only the sounds of nature fill their ears for some time.

Diamond: . . . Have you figured it out yet?

Zeny: What?

Diamond: The type of Hero you want to become. . .?

Zeny: Oh. . . Um. I-. . .

The silence returned for a moment.

Diamond: It's okay. *smiles* You still have another two school years to figure it out.

———————————————————————

Sacred Grounds

Zeny: Hey, Izuku.

The girl and her best friend were at the clearing within the forests near Aldera, their old stomping grounds.

Izuku: Hm?

He was writing in his Hero Journal, though a bit sloppily due to a few of his fingers still being bandaged up.

Zeny: . . . What kind of Hero do you want to be?

Izuku: A Hero like All Might.

His quick answer was surprising.

Zeny: Huh?

Izuku: *smiles* A Hero who saves the day with a smile and tells everyone, "It's Okay."

Zeny: I know that! I meant. . . I. . . *sighs* I don't even know what I meant.

Izuku: . . . You're smart, Zeny. I'm sure you'll find out what kind of Hero you want to be in no time.

———————————————————————

School was out for a few days due to the USJ Invasion, but it wasn't going to keep U.A. out of the game for long.

Class 1-B

The students of the Hero Course were worried for their sensei. Vlad King was still recovering from his nearly life threatening injuries, his torso and abdomen heavily bandaged. Yet, he powered through. . .

Itsuka: Eh. . . Kan-sensei, is it okay for you to be up and around?

Kan: I'm fine. If we Heroes took breaks for every time we got injured out in the field, there'd barely be any of us on the streets right now.

Shoda: Still, it's worrying.

Kan: Take it as a lesson then. No matter how severe the injury, don't let it stop you from getting back up. Am I clear?

Setsuna: But-

Kan: Am I clear?!

1-B: Yes, Kan-sensei!

Kan: Good! Then let's get down to business. . .

The class tensed, the aura of the USJ attack returning. . .

The Sports Festival.

And many sighs of relief were released.

Kan: I don't think it needs to be said, but you better bring your A-Game. This is one of Japan's biggest events, hundreds of Pros will be watching!

Pony: Talk about expectations.

Tsuburaba: It's more than that! We get offers for internships based on our performance!

Ibara: . . . Is it wise to hold such an event after a Villain Attack?

Zeny: I was about to ask the same thing.

Kan: Principal Nezu says it's to show that even after taking a hit, that U.A. would show it's strength.

Testutetsu: Heh, talk about manly! This is going to be fun!

Kamakiri: Being able to show off without any repercussions. . . It's a dream come true.

Kan: You don't have much time to prepare, so I suggest you use that time wisely. And just as a little incentive. . . The highest performer of this class will get a little extra credit.

And that definitely got his class up and moving.

Hahahahaha! Young Midoriya- IS HERE!

Izuku: All Might?!?!?

The Symbol of Peace appeared from around the corner of the hallway, accidentally cutting off Uraraka and Iida's talk of motivations.

Izuku: What's the matter?

All Might: Lunch!

He lifted a tiny bento.

All Might: Wanna eat together?

Uraraka: *facefaults* He's like a maiden. . .

It was long before Izuku accepted the offer and ran along with the Number One Hero. Unbeknownst to him, Zeny's watchful eye traced his steps.

Yui: Is something wrong?

Zeny: Not sure. I'll go find out. Tell Kendo I'll catch up with you both after lunch.

Yui: O-Okay. . .?

The Rose chased down her friend, and unbeknownst to the both of them, the watchful gaze of Shoto Todoroki never left them.

Todoroki: Izuku Midoriya. . . and All Might.

Lounge

Only fifteen minutes?!

That took both Zeny and Izuku by surprise. Small Might made them all tea as he sighed.

All Might: Yes. That's the limit to how long I can use my power now. I overdid it too many times.

Zeny: Still. . . Just fifteen minutes. . .?

All Might: That Nomu was a tough opponent. It hurt. . . I can just barely maintain my muscle form for about an hour and a half now.

Izuku: About that, sorry-!

All Might: *laughs* You don't have to apologize! You and me are too alike!

Zeny: *shakes her head*

The Hero passed out the tea, Zeny subtly shoving her cup back. Tea wasn't her thing.

All Might: Anyways, about the Sports festival. You haven't figured out how to regulate One for All yet, have you? What'll you do?

Zeny: Isn't that technically your responsibility?

All Might/Izuku: Gah-!

Zeny: *glares* If he breaks his limbs, your fifteen minutes of One For All are going to get turned into fifteen seconds.

All Might: *stammers* Y-Yes! I'll get on it right away!

Izuku: Wait! There was that one time! When I aimed a Smash at the Nomu, there was no backlash!

All Might: Oh yeah, you mentioned that!

Zeny: So that's what that wind was. . . It was dumb-luck.

Izuku: Huh?!

Zeny: I was still conscious then. You had the same look in your eyes that you had during the whole Slime Villain crap. . . You weren't thinking.

Izuku: I. . . True.

All Might: Regardless, it's progress. I'm glad.

The Number One arose and stepped towards the windows overlooking the city. . .

All Might: Frankly, I don't have much time left as the Symbol of Peace.

At that, his protege gaze down into the reflection the tea produced.

All Might: And some of those with built-up villainous intent are starting to realize.

Feeling a bit always, Zeny fiddled with her hair while Izuku slowly rose to his feet. Toshinori whirled around and pointed to his successor.

All Might: I granted you my power because I want you to succeed me. You still feel the same as you felt back then, don't you?

The Ninth Holder donned a courages glint.

Izuku: Yes!

All Might: Then, the time has come for you to show that.

Izuku: . . .?

All Might: The U.A. Sports Festival is something pro- no, the whole country is watching closely. A big event! That is what I brought you here to talk about!

The next All Might. . .

The fledgling Symbol of Peace. . .

Izuku Midoriya. I want you to tell the world, "I AM HERE!"

The weight placed upon the boy's shoulders was just about to suffocate him, but a hand found itself upon him and firmly grasped his left shoulder.

Zeny: Don't forget. . .

It isn't a burden you have to bear alone.

She flashed him a gentle smile and let her hand descend to his, her hold tightening.

Izuku: . . . Zeny. . .

Zeny: We have two weeks. . . Let's use 'em.

———————————————————————

(Training Montage Time)

———————————————————————

Sacred Grounds

On the sacred grounds on which their friendship blossomed, Izuku and Zeny stood on either side of the small clearing.

Zeny: Okay. Before you work on One For All, you'll need to know some basic hand to hand.

Izuku: But, wouldn't it better for me to get closer to using One For All?

Zeny: If you break your arm, you'll have wasted the only two weeks we have.

Izuku: F-Fair.

Zeny: Besides, All Might will help you with that later. Now, give me a stance!

Following the order, he donned a basic brawler stance.

Zeny: Good. . . Now, try dodge!

Gaze hardening, the girl sprinted forward! Faster than Izuku could react, a fist crashed into his face and carried him off the ground!

Izuku: Ow!

Zeny: I said dodge! What were you doing?!

Izuku: You moved too fast!

Zeny: *facepalms*

Izuku: Hey! That's not my fault!

Zeny: Okay, let's try it again then. Dodge!

She appeared before him and performed a twirling kick, the green eye narrowly leaning out of its path!

Zeny: Good!

She then leaped up and kicked twice more while airborne, the boy ducking and backpedaling to dodge both!

Izuku: Will this really be efficient? I've been watching you practice your style for years. . .

Zeny: Watching and doing are two entirely different things. Besides, this is meant to build up your reaction time.

Izuku: Oh. . . I see. If that's the case, don't hold back!

Zeny: *deadpans* Me not holding back is too fast for you. . .

Needless to say, she did not hold back. And not surprisingly, Izuku got better at evading with time. Zeny felt her chest swell with pride. . . .

Dagobah Beach

All Might: Ah, it's been a while since we've been here, Young Midoriya!

The Pro let out a hefty laugh as Izuku admired his handiwork.

All Might: Now, I have an idea for how to at least try to regulate One For All.

Izuku: Mhm!

All Might: I took some inspiration from Young Rose's style of combat. She focuses her energy in specific points in her body and ejects them out, though I'm sure you already knew that.

Izuku: I did. How would that help me?

All Might: Because, she doesn't release all her power at once! When you use salt, you don't dump the whole shaker, you just drop small doses!

Izuku: You want me to pepper One For All. . .

He took a few steps forward, sand splitting beneath him as he aimed his fist at the ocean.

Izuku: Salt Shaker. . . Peppering. . . Zeny. *breathes* One For All. . .

Power built up within his right arm, already pulling on his muscles! He quickly shut it off and decided to go with a much safer option. He readied a flick using his right thumb and middle finger, focusing One For All into them.

Izuku: On and off. . . On and off.

He shut the power on and off, his fingers glowing and reverting to their normal state slowly, progressively gaining haste with each attempt.

Izuku: One For All stockpiles power, but it still needs a few moments to built up to that power. This could actually work. . .

SMASH!

Flickering One For All, Izuku unleashed the flick and sent a wave of force into the ocean, significantly smaller than normal yet still powerful! Feeling an intense burn in his fingers, he gazed down to them and gasped!

Izuku: It worked!

His finger, though cut up, was not broken.

All Might: Atta boy! Now it looks like we just need to train your body harder to withstand the force!

Izuku: I'll get right on it!

Meadow

Diamond: So, I hear Endeavor's kid and All Might's student are competing this year!

The mother-daughter spar intensified, the Shining Star putting the future Hero through the wringer!

Zeny: Uh-huh? What about it?!

The girl blocked three rapid blows and leaped back before crossing her arms to block a yellow blast!

Diamond: Basically, the children of the Top 3 Heroes are all going to be fighting each other.

Zeny: Oh!

The Rose narrowly swayed away from a blitz, hastily cartwheeling aside to dodge a reverse one!

Zeny: I didn't know you guys were that prideful! Or more accurately, petty!

She was knocked back by a punch, quickly flipping onto her feet and dashing toward Diamond! Rapid blows shot forward, each of them crashing into Star's closed guard!

Diamond: Nah! I just want to bug Endeavor!

Zeny: Well, there's no guarantee I'll win!

Diamond: If you lose, you're grounded.

Zeny: Oh come on!

Sacred Grounds

A wave of force blew across the greenery and hit Zeny dead-on, making her slide back, feet grinding against the dirt! Looking up, she spotted the still functioning middle finger belonging to Izuku.

Zeny: I guess All Might can teach when he puts his mind to it!

Izuku: Now, we can both go all out!

Zeny: *smiles* I guess so.

The soreness left behind from her mother's training fueled her body, Izuku paling at the sight of so many cracks in her skin.

Zeny: Here I come, Izuku!

Izuku: One For All!

She blasted herself toward him using the same technique he imposed, the boy doing the same whilst jumping to propel himself aside! He hit the ground, rolling back over his shoulder before raising his arms to block a hefty punch! The force behind it broke his guard and blew him away, the greenette yelping as he managed to roll to his feet yet again!

Zeny: *whispers* God, I'm proud of you.

They charged and clashed once more, smiling all throughout their duel!

The cycle repeated day after day and night after night, the Heroes of the Future laying on the ground of their hangout spot, exhausted and out of breath.

Izuku: . . . . . . Z. . . Zzzz.

He let out a cute snore.

Zeny: He got this strong in just two short weeks. . . This was so much fun.

She smiled and gazed upon the boy.

Zeny: . . . I really am proud of you, Izuku.

———————————————————————

Why do you want to be a Hero. . .?

So I can protect the people I love.

———————————————————————

(A/N- Season Two is here! Hopefully what I did with One For All seems plausible, because I can see it being possible. Then again, this is a fanfiction. Anyways, see you next chapter with the start of the Sports Festival!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136 17 15
We've all heard for Midoriya Izuku's story,of how he became the greatest no.1 Hero,his rocky journey and hardships. Graduating along with class 1A an...
78.1K 4.3K 72
Mirianne Shotomoto has a mother with a tough set of morals. Being the arch-nemesis of Endeavor, her mother, Nightmare, actively searched for ways of...
746 25 22
Izuku Midoriya always wanted to be a hero since he was a little kid. Since he saw the great All Might save so many lives, that has been his one dream...
541K 13.5K 19
This is the story of how you became a hero. You even became a hero to the pros. You don't start off as well as everyone else but you soon grow strong...