Time Is Life

Da Ivyfrost-the-warrior

It's been about four years since the war against Voldemort ended during Harry's seventh year at Hogwarts. Now... Altro

death
coming home
floo
the Burrow
portkey
woods
Quidditch final
Darkness
Espoir
Hogwarts Express
magic
Neville
classes
Help
time flies
Halloween
Samhain
photos
the astronomy tower
time
Room of Requirement
December
Christmas
Yule
Fairy lights
the chamber of secrets
bath
Skeeter's lesson
Dungeons
confrontations
second task
madness
April
emotion
familia hereditatem
Dreamers have visions too
June 24
third task
I'm alive!
final goodbye
the end of the beginning
Harry Severus Lupin

first task

3K 140 17
Da Ivyfrost-the-warrior

Cedric was focusing so hard on learning new transfiguration spells the previous evening that some of his nerves left him. They returned in full measure, however, today in the morning. The atmosphere in the school is one of great tension and excitement. Lessons are to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure - though, of course, they don't yet know what they will find there.

Harry and he slept inside the room of Requirement and when Cedric said the story about Granger chasing his mate would be funny and a blast he was not disappointed.

As it turns out, Harry was merely minding his business and was talking to Neville at the Gryffindor table, when Granger came along and started dragging an indignant Harry off. The twins on the other hand got stuck in a conversation with their sister and therefore couldn't help. Neville was left confused and as such, he didn't do anything to stop Granger.

Granger was trying to get Harry back to his "senses" and tell him that he could trust her, that he didn't need to be alone and endure the bullying from half the student body. That she believed he didn't enter himself in that Goblet. Granger indirectly insulted Harry by saying that and Harry was merely trying to shove her away and that he didn't need her. That resulted in Harry running away and Granger hot on his heels in pursuit.

Cedric smiles at the memory of the story, but at the same time his thoughts always travel over to the first task later that day. He's nervous, he's never faced a dragon before. What if he does die in the end? Or even worse if Harry dies? He couldn't live without Harry anymore, he knows this and that's exactly what makes him even more nervous. He chews on his lips as time around him seems to rush past. He can't focus and he knows, he's aware but he can't focus or relax. His anxiety hitting new levels he never knew it could reach. What if... What was worse than losing his mate? He doesn't even know what to doubt anymore, too confused by his anxiety.

One moment he's sitting in his first period and the next he's pacing back and forth inside the tent waiting for Harry to arrive. What should he do? What if he can't transfigure anything in the moment of need? Or what if he faints? That would be embarrassing, not the worst but embarrassing nonetheless. His hands find their way up to his hair as he starts ruffling it. If this were under any circumstances Cedric is certain he would laugh at himself, but like this, he can't muster any amusement.

He takes a few deep breaths, then he hears the flap to the tent open and Harry striding inside with a composed expression. The green-eyed teen sends him a bright smile. Cedric tries to smile back but ends up grimacing instead. He hopes he can still convey his gratitude. He's still nervous, very much so.

Suddenly an all-encompassing warmth spreads throughout his core and magic, tingling all around him. A calmness washes through him and he feels the distinct magic that belongs to his lover. Cedric sends him another smile, this time feeling himself relax into the motion.

Bagman then decides to move up and explain the first task, Cedric moves towards Harry to be a bit closer to his calming presence.

"Well, now we're all here - time to fill you in!" says Bagman brightly, a contrast to all the champions aside from Harry. "When the audience has assembled, I'm going to be offering each of you this bag" - he holds up a small sack of purple silk and shakes it at them - "from which you will each select a small model of the thing you are about to face! There are different - er - varieties, you see. And I have to tell you something else too...ah, yes...your task is to collect the golden egg!"

Cedric nods but his nerves get the better of him and he feels the urge to pace again, his face turning green. Harry sighs and the calming magic becomes stronger around him. Cedric doesn't feel himself calming down, not at all. His emotions battling against the onslaught of magic aimed at him. He stops pacing for a short time, just taking in calming deep breaths. Breathe in and out. Slow and steady.

He lets Harry's magic pour inside of him like a calming warm shower. He feels the warmth and the underlaying love behind the motion. He nods at Harry, diminutively and almost not at all, but Harry's keen eyes catch his motion and his lips curl into a grin.

And in no time at all, hundreds upon hundreds of pairs of feet can be heard passing the tent, their owners talking excitedly, laughing, joking....Cedric feels as separate from the crowd as though they are a different species. And then - it seems like about a second later to the brunette - Bagman opens the neck of the purple silk sack.

"Ladies first," he says, offering it to Fleur Delacour.

She puts a shaking hand inside the bag and draws out a tiny, perfect model of a dragon - a Welsh Green. It has the number two around its neck And Cedric knows, by the fact that Fleur shows no sign of surprise, but rather a determined resignation, that Madame Maxime told her what was coming.

The same holds true for Krum. He pulls out the scarlet Chinese Fireball. It has a number three around its neck. He doesn't even blink, just sits back down and stares at the ground.

Cedric puts his hand next into the bag, his hand shaking all the while. He gulps and out comes the blueish-gray Swedish Short-Snout, the number one tied around its neck. His eyes widen as it dawns on him that he will be up first. He sits down and stares at the dragon in his hand. It bares it's fangs at him and Cedric shivers involuntarily, this is going to be hell...

Cedric watches as Harry puts his hand into the silk bag and pulls out the Hungarian Horntail, and the number four.

"Well, there you are!" says Bagman. "You have each pulled out the dragon you will face, and the numbers refer to the order in which you are to take on the dragons, do you see? Now, I'm going to have to leave you in a moment, because I'm commentating. Mr. Diggory, you're first, just go out into the enclosure when you hear a whistle, all right? Now...Harry...could I have a quick word? Outside?"

Cedric blanches and stares at Harry's retreating form, now what? His mind focuses back on the dragon in his hand. Can he really do this? On one hand he can prove himself now, but was that really worth risking his life for? What if he made a mistake by putting his name inside the goblet? There is no going back now, he has to pull through and give his best. He has trained for this and not alone at that. Harry has been helping him and furthermore, he has renewed his magic not even a month ago. He can do this and a bit of nerves have never hurt anybody...

Who is he even kidding?! Not himself, most certainly not himself!

A whistle blows from somewhere and Cedric tenses, his face paling so much that it almost seems green again. His stomach clumps together forming knots. Breathing becomes more difficult, he has to relax. He just has to.

He walks out of the tent and passes Harry. "Good luck, just do what we trained and you'll be fine."

"Easy for you to say." Cedric mutters and Harry just laughs and shakes his head. The brunette knows that Harry meant his words and he will try to just wing it.

And now he is walking past the trees, through a gap in the enclosure fence.

He sees everything in front of him as though it's a very highly colored dream. There are hundreds and hundreds of faces staring down at him from stands that have been magicked there since he last stood on this spot.

And there is the Short Snout, at the other end of the enclosure, crouched low over her clutch of eggs, her wings half-furled, her evil, blue eyes upon him, a monstrous, scaly, silverish blue lizard, heaving yard-long gouge marks in the hard ground. The crowd is making a great deal of noise, but whether friendly or not, Cedric doesn't know or care. It's time to do what he has to do...to focus his mind, entirely and absolutely.

He raises his wand.

"Canibus!" He points his wand at a few boulders, and to his temporary relief they turn into loudly barking dogs. Harry's transfiguration advice actually worked.

Focus, we'll guide you.

Cedric looks around with his eyes as a calm wave washes over him, this one cooling his senses and mind like the cristaline water of a mountain spring or a tranquil lake. His mind becomes more and more focused, he's never seen so clearly. The noise around him becoming muffled and unimportant. It's just him,his ancestors and the Swedish Short Snout. There are four golden eggs, one for each of them.

Cedric slowly moves forward, the dragon glaring straight at him. We'll make sure to protect you, focus your magic around you like a second skin and then run at the nest.

The voice of Annabel fills his ears. He looks at the dogs, then at the currently distracted dragon. He takes a deep breath and runs towards the nest, his magic coating him like a second skin, the warmth tingling like liquid. He doesn't pay it too much mind as his entire focus lands on the golden egg. He's almost there. Just a bit further. How much time has passed he doesn't know nor does he care. Faintly he feels the air around him shift.

His head whips towards the dragon, readying itself to spew fire at him, her nostrils flaring with smoke. His body goes into autopilot as he stares the creature straight in the eyes, fear completely forgotten. He dives and rushes towards the nest, the Short Snout running towards him. He feels scorging heat close to his face as he slams his body towards the ground. That was too narrow! Way too close, he calms his breathing. This is fine...he's fine.

Before he can jump away the next attack hurls his way, his eyes widen, but this time he's not as lucky and the scorging heat of the blue fire graces his face. This is what Harry meant with him getting burned during the task. Cedric jumps out of the way to avoid any further damage, his face stings but at the same time it's cool. His magic acting like a shield around him.

He needs to get to that nest and do it fast, he doesn't know how much longer he can hold onto his magic. It's stronger now but also a lot harder to control. The blue eyes settle back onto him with a narrow eyed glare.

Her maw opens again and Cedric knows what's coming and before he can even think about what he's doing, it just happens.

"Neidr ddŵr!" The voice jumps out of his mouth with such force that his magic instantly materialises into an iridescent water snake. The reptile collides with the firy mass and winds around the much larger reptile, keeping it in place.

He stares in awe at the two reptiles wrestling with eachother. He did that? He did that. He did that!

He shakes his head now's not the time to be in awe of what he has done! He runs over to the nest and picks up the golden egg. With the egg in hand he runs far away from the dragon. His breathing shaky and suddenly he feels weaker as everything registers in his mind, the crowd around him roaring loudly almost deafening. He sighs, it's finally over.

Cedric watches as the dragon keepers rush forward to subdue the Short Snout, and, over at the entrance to the enclosure, Professor Sprout hurrying to meet him, waving him toward herself, her smile evident even from this distance. He walks over to his head of house, the noise of the crowd pounding his eardrums, his heart lighter than it has been in weeks....He got through the first task, he survived....

"Now look at your face, you should go to Madame Pomfrey as soon as possible, now go, go, go!" Professor Sprout fusses over him, Cedric chuckles softly and quickly walks over to the first aid tent.

Cedric walks out of the enclosure, still panting, and sees Madam Pomfrey standing at the mouth of a second tent, looking worried.

She pulls him inside while grumbling something about Dragons and Dementors, Cedric can't find it within himself to pay much attention, he grimaces when something cool starts being applied on his face.

"Now stay still, this will have to stay on until I'm certain there aren't any long-term damages to your skin!"

Cedric nods and flops himself down on the bed in his cubicle as Madame Pomfrey moves away and stands at the entrance of the tent looking out. Cedric sighs as he shifts on his place. He's too restless and he wants to ascertain himself that Harry's fine and safe. He listens to Bagman's commentary on Fleur and Krum. He sighs, it seems as though those two have done better than him and then finally the last whistle blows Cedric stands up and walks out next to Madame Pomfrey, ignoring her protests. He just has to watch this.

Cedric stares outside into the enclosure, his grey eyes staring intently at Harry as he walks in with a straight back and almost bored expression. Of course he would look at the first task in such a light, he has already passed the first task before.

Maybe he will do the same he did during the past or maybe he will try something else, Harry did say that Cedric would see... And so he will.

Harry's eyes narrow at the Horntail, suddenly he starts hissing loudly and fast, it's common knowledge around Hogwarts that Harry is a Parselmouth, eversince fourth year when the chamber of secrets was opened. But seeing it and hearing it, is completely different to the rumors flying about within the halls.

The Horntail growls and somehow hisses back, although it's different to the snakey hisses that Harry is making. They seem to be understanding eachother. Harry then holds his wand up and summons his firebolt. The dragon looks at his mate with interest. Harry hisses again before taking off into the sky. Cedric looks on in awe as his eyes start to sparkle with amazement. This is how a seeker should fly, this and not any other way. Harry is a natural at flying, Cedric wonders how the match last year would've ended if it hadn't been for the Dementors. Hufflepuff would've probably lost, but Cedric won't give up. He's still a great flier and he will probably play professional Quidditch one day.

His eyes follow Harry in the air as the Horntail takes off into the air and starts...playing?! Now this just is a Harry thing! Cedric laughs, he doesn't know why he's still surprised anymore, Harry is always full of surprises. The crowd cheers as Harry and the black dragon play in the sky, Harry leans closer towards the vicious creature and holds out his hand while looking away, the dragon doesn't wait and leans it's snout against his palm.

Cedric stares with gleaming eyes, Harry hisses and the dragon rumbles before both descend to the ground. The Horntail pushing Harry gently forward towards the nest. Harry smiles at her and rests his forehead against her snout, then he reaches down towards the golden egg and leaves the nest. The Horntail moves forward and the crowd gasps, her eyes narrow and Cedric holds his breath.

What if the Horntail descided that Harry isn't kin but prey instead? What if Harry dies? He can't let that happen, his hands tighten around the flap of the tent as he watches the events before him unfold. But to everybody's astonishment the Horntail starts licking Harry from head to toe. Harry starts laughing as he strokes the huge creatures cheek.

"Alright that's enough! That's enough!" Harry giggles out with a broad smile. The Horntail growls and doesn't stop her assault.

Cedric visibly relaxes, whatever Harry did, he somehow managed to convince a dragon that they are kin. Harry Potter, tamed a dragon. Cedric blanches. Harry Potter, his mate, tamed a dragon! A vicious fire spitting dragon!! His head starts spinning and before he knows it his head collides with the ground and everything turns black.

....

A gentle tapping on his right cheek has him groaning. "Five more minutes..." He mumbles.

Someone above him chuckles, it's such an amazing sound. Cedric wants to hear it again. "Come on now, you fainted after watching me? My, your nerves are quite sensitive."

Cedric slowly opens his eyes to glare at Harry. "You tamed a dragon! Harry, a dragon! What did you expect?!"

Harry laughs again, "Alright, I get it. Come on I still have to look at my score and then we need to return to the champions tent, Bagman still wants to talk to us."

Cedric nods and stands up, Madame Pomfrey eyeing him critically. He waves his hands at her, trying to convey that he's fine.

He follows Harry outside, just then Granger and Weasley come running up to them and Harry groans before pushing Cedric in front of him. Cedric looks between the three teenagers in amusement.

"Harry, that was amazing! The way you just tamed that dragon! I knew you could do it." A smile decorates Granger's lips but Cedric sees right through it, he must leave it to the mugeborn, she's a great actress.

"It wasn't that good... But way better than Diggory!" Cedric rolls his eyes but can't help agreeing.

"Leave me alone and Cedric was fine, he got a high score as well. And also, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't need you around me? And Ron if you're going to be half assed then leave me alone, I don't need a mediocre, jealous friend. If you can't like me at my lowest then you don't deserve me at my highest, don't go seeking attention just to be my friend. I don't care about the fame but refrain from trying to get into the spotlight through me!"

Cedric shivers at the dark tone in Harry's voice, he finds it oddly attractive. With that Harry pushes him forward again.

"I can walk." Cedric laughs and Harry just huffs but walks around him nonetheless. Cedric shakes his head and stares back at the stunned duo behind them.

"Don't bother with them. More importantly, how did you make that snake?"

Cedric blinks a few times, that's actually a great question. "I don't know I wasn't thinking and my body was moving instinctively."

"Hm.."

Harry squints up the field and sees the first judge - Madame Maxime - raise her wand in the air. What looks like a long silver ribbon shoots out of it, which twists itself into a large figure eight.

"Not bad!" says Cedric as the crowd applauds. "I suppose she took marks off for your...I don't even know."

"I let my guard down at the end, the Horntail could've changed her mind about me and I didn't care to think about that."

"Oh." Cedric smiles at Harry. "That could happen to anyone, even a twenty-one year old time traveller." Harry rolls his eyes with a small laugh. "I suppose so."

Mr. Crouch comes next. He shoots a number nine into the air.

"Looking good!" Cedric smiles with closed eyes.

Next, Dumbledore. He too puts up a nine. The crowd cheers harder than ever.

Ludo Bagman - ten.

"Ten? Again?" says Harry in disbelief. "But...I got hurt... Wait no that was back then, I let my guard down!"

"Harry, don't complain! You deserve it!" Cedric laughs excitedly.

And now Karkaroff raises his wand. He pauses for a moment, and then a number shoots out of his wand too - four.

"Should I have expected that?" Cedric questions while following Harry into the tent for the champions.

Harry shakes his head, "No, not at all. It's alright, I don't care what he gave me, I'm still tied for first with Victor. Also don't worry after the second task we'll be tied as well and start at the same time during the third task."

Cedric just nods and resists the urge to hug Harry close. They both re-enter the tent. Cedric sits down and just basks in the short lived solitude with Harry. "Can we talk later?" He asks unsurely, while looking at the ground.

Harry smiles at him and leans in close, kissing his lips softly. "Of course, Ced, you don't have to be so insecure about asking me out on a date, honestly." He huffs and Cedric just blushes. Is that what he wants? A date? He thinks about the prospect and his mood brightens again, yeah, a date sounds nice.

"Very well, Harry could we go on a date later?"

Harry nods with a broad grin. "I'll be waiting then."

Just then Fleur and Krum enter together, right behind them Bagman.

"Well done, all of you!" says Ludo Bagman, bouncing into the tent and looking as pleased as though he personally just got past a dragon. "Now, just a quick few words. You've got a nice long break before the second task, which will take place at half past nine on the morning of February the twenty-fourth - but we're giving you something to think about in the meantime! If you look down at those golden eggs you're all holding, you will see that they open...see the hinges there? You need to solve the clue inside the egg - because it will tell you what the second task is, and enable you to prepare for it! All clear? Sure? Well, off you go, then!"

Cedric leaves the tent a bit after Harry, so that they won't be seen going back to the castle together. He sighs softly and smiles again, this day wasn't so bad in retrospect. He's once again been baffled by Harry. He couldn't be any happier than he is at the current moment.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

236K 5.8K 25
Due to a time turner harry finds himself in 1976 his parents 7th year. He meets the marauders and his mom. But what happens when Lily starts falling...
407 19 11
It's 10 years after Harry Potter defeated the dark lord, Voldemort and it's his birthday. For it, his best friend, Hermione Granger who now goes by H...
94.5K 2.1K 48
❝Loving your enemy is not easy. Some accept it, while some are hellbent on destroying.❞ Students returned back to Hogwarts to complete their final ye...
152K 5K 68
So it Goes... series [James Potter/Hermione Granger fanfic] Voldemort is dead, but so is Harry. Hermione watches more of her friends die in the final...