the muggle next door | f.w. g...

By icemacchiato

Daisy's father said, and she herself agreed, that the Weasleys were one peculiar bunch. They weren't as afflu... More

prologue
main casts and characters
0.01
PART I.
↳ 1.01
↳1.02
↳ 1.03
↳ 1.04
↳ 1.05
↳ 1.06
↳ 1.07
↳ 1.08
↳ 1.09
↳ 1.10
↳ 1.11
↳ 1.12
PART II.
↳ 2.01
↳ 2.02
↳ 2.03
↳ 2.04
↳ 2.05
↳ 2.06
↳ 2.07
↳ 2.08
PART III.
↳ 3.01
↳ 3.02
↳ 3.03
↳ 3.04
↳ 3.05
↳ 3.06
↳ 3.07
↳ 3.08
↳ 3.9
↳ 3.10
↳ 3.11
↳ 3.12
↳ 3.14
↳ 3.15
↳ 3.16
↳ 3.17
↳ 3.18
PART IV.
↳ 4.1
↳ 4.2
↳ 4.3
↳ 4.4
↳ 4.5
↳ 4.6
↳ 4.7
↳ 4.8
↳ 4.9
↳ 4.10
↳ 4.11
↳ 4.12
↳ 4.13
↳ 4.14
↳ 4.15
↳ 4.16
↳ 4.17
↳ 4.18
↳ 4.19
↳ 4.20
↳ 4.21
↳ 4.22
↳ 4.23
↳ 4.24
↳ 4.25
↳ 4.26
↳ 4.27
PART V
↳ 5.1
↳ 5.2

↳ 3.13

3.4K 171 11
By icemacchiato

snow, gala, and ball pt. 1

December 20th, 1994

Dear FGW and GFW,

My Father will be home in two days and he's planning to stay until after New Year, so I'm sending your presents in advance. Percy refused to come to Hogwarts with more baggage than he initially has to carry.

Merry Christmas! I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time in Hogwarts, especially with the Yule Ball ahead. I hope you'll find a time to tell me all about your adventures soon.

I'll send you a letter once I'm able to pay your parents a visit once more.

Sincerely,
DJA

Fred and George looked up from their letter and looked at Hermione and Ginny, who were each holding parchment bearing letters thrice as long as theirs. The latter asked, "Hey, what did she say? How come our letter is shorter than yours?"

"Let me see, let me see!" Ginny said, completely ignoring her brothers, digging into Hermione's envelope, "She said the picture is in yours!"

"What picture?" Ron asked.

"Wait a minute, let me finish reading first," Hermione said, completely ignoring Ron, too.

Ginny looked at the photo of Daisy's finished project and cheered. "She did it! Look!"

Hermione took a look at it and cheered, too.

"What is it?"

"No, it's a secret," Ginny said, hiding the photo behind her back, "Come on, Hermione. So, she told me, about the dress— I should pair it with the emerald ribbon she gave me on my birthday, and as for yours—"

The twins looked at the girls retreating figure and bowed their heads.

"I mean," George began, "It does hurt more if you don't tell me anything anymore than being jealous of whatever fun things you do without me."

"Yeah..." Fred nodded in agreement.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 22nd, 1994

SINCE SHE EXPECTED her father's arrival tomorrow, Daisy celebrated her last day of freedom by having dinner with the Weasleys.

"It's such a shame that nobody's going home this Christmas," Daisy said, squatting in front of the oven as she mindlessly stared at the roasting chicken in it. "Even Percy's going to Hogwarts?"

"Yes," Mrs. Weasley said from her station by the stove, "Poor Barty Crouch is sick, so his duties in the Triwizard Tournament are being primarily carried out by Percy. After all, his department along with Ludo Bagman's are in charge of the event."

"I don't sit well with leaving you and Mr. Weasley alone on Christmas."

"Oh, no, dear. Don't be! We're happy that you get to go to the Gala. I'm sure it will be just as lovely as the Yule Ball," Mrs. Weasley paused, "As for your father... Be careful. I'm always here if you need me."

"Of course."

"Ah, speaking of the Yule Ball, I have letters from the twins for you!"

Hearing that didn't excite Daisy anymore. She expected something as short as three sentences and as bland as Lucy's goulash (she wasn't a very talented cook like her mother), but then Mrs. Weasley continued, "I don't know what's gotten to them, but they forbid me to open it and it's six parchments long—"

"What?" Daisy's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"And there's also one from everyone, along with your Christmas gifts."

"Really?" Daisy stood up and dashed over quickly, "Really?"

"Yes, really!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed. Seeing Daisy's reaction sparked some happiness within her as well. Right about then, a crack was heard from the kitchen followed by a shout, "Molly!"

"In the living room!" Mrs. Weasley shouted back.

Mr. Weasley came out, dressed in his chocolate-colored robe. White snows were piling up on top of his hat and on his shoulders. "Oh, hello Daisy, dear! I almost forgot, it's our early Christmas dinner today!"

"Arthur! You're making a mess!"

"Oops," Mr. Weasley grimaced, then cleaned the trail of snow he brought into the house with a flick of his wand. "Is Percy home?"

"No. You told him about the dinner, right?"

"Yes. He did say that he has to pull some all-nighters with the Yule Ball coming up, but he'll make sure to drop in."

"Oh, alright," Mrs. Weasley said, "The food is not ready yet."

"While we wait, I have something to show you," Daisy said. She pulled the two parents until they were both standing in front of the Burrow's door. "Remember my science project, the one I've been working on for two months? I wanted to wait until Percy is home, but since it's undecided— Wait here, please."

It wasn't snowing, but the weather was very cold, and a thick layer of snow had gathered on their lawn.

"Daisy!" Mrs. Weasley called out as the girl turned left and disappeared behind the wall. "Wear your coat!"

Mr. Weasley pulled Mrs. Weasley into a side hug, warming her up, as they waited.

And waited...

Then, a shriek was heard, and Daisy reappeared—

—Daisy reappeared on a flying broom.

The two parents laughed and cheered in amusement, watching the Muggle girl flew around their open lawn. Upon closer look, they realized that it had two wings attached on its sides. Her feet were securely placed on a pair of stirrup irons, which had strings connecting them with the said wings. The broom was also equipped with a bicycle seat so she was sitting comfortably throughout the ride.

She landed two minutes later, right in front of them, breathless from too much shrieking.

Mr. Weasley immediately ran forward, checking the scientific contraption with his eyes and hands. "Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! How is this even possible?"

"Steering with hands are of course easier," Daisy said as she bent down to release the locks on her feet, "But I created this with the dream to play Quidditch in mind, so of course I had to keep my hands empty."

"So each of this foot thing control the flap?"

"Yes! My leg's movement controlled the broom. Of course, it has to be quite windy, but not that windy to be able to fly. I went through into a myriad of failures trying to land safely but I have gotten a better hang of it."

Mr. Weasley laughed, "You must've practiced a lot, dear! Tell me, why are the—"

"Arthur," Mrs. Weasley called, hugging herself.

"—wings placed here, not in the center?"

"Well, it's based on a calculation of torque. The weight of the broom, its tip, and the rider, which is me. It must be placed in the correct ratio."

"I don't understand, what is torque? And if someone heavier than you used this appendage—"

"They would tip, I'm sure."

"Daisy!" Mrs. Weasley called again to no avail.

"How do you reckon—"

"ARTHUR! DAISY! GET IN, IT'S COLD!"

The two looked at each other apologetically and complied. As they walked in, the talk continued, "How do you reckon to fly on a not windy day?"

"I wanted to use motor to power the broom, but it is a little too hazardous for my teacher's liking. So—"

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 23rd, 1994

DAISY SPENT THE night reading and rereading the letters she got for Christmas.

Hermione sent her a snow globe with Durmstrang's ship and Beauxbatons' carriage in it, a souvenir to commemorate this year's Tournament. With that, a letter to wish her a very merry Christmas and a happier new year.

Ron got some of her favorite sweets from Hogsmeade and wrote her: I didn't know you miss getting letters from me, so here's one. P.S. letters Mum got from me is also for you.

Harry got her a random book from Tomes and Scrolls Specialist Bookshop. He wrote: Merry Christmas. Thanks for the Chudley Cannon hat, I really like it. I'm sure you heard about me and the tournament from Hermione. I couldn't follow your cookie jar wish, but your cookies are my lucky charm. Cheers!

The twins' letter was basically a full recap of the last four months, complete with details they and the others had missed to tell. They finally told her about their missing money, how Mr. Bagman had ignored their letters so far and how they planned to confront him in person during the Yule Ball. With the money gone, their plans had to be postponed, but they're selling their newest invention, Canary Creams, to other students now (even from the visiting schools) and they had made more money than their allowance so far. People kept bursting into feather all over the place every now and then.

I asked Alicia out to be my date for the Yule Ball, and she said yes.

Fred planned to go solo, but in the end, he asked Angelina.

As friends, of course. Not me, Fred.

She had never been happier. Okay, maybe not, but she was beyond ecstatic.

She wore the brand new knitted sweater she got from Mrs. Weasley to sleep and woke up feeling very, very energized.

Daisy felt so happy, so buoyant, that when her father's car finally pulled up in front of her house, she immediately ran to give him a hug.

"Uh, well—" Mr. Allen stuttered, then patted his child on the back twice, "I missed you, too, Jane."

"I love you, Father."

He looked completely taken aback. She never said that out loud before. "I— I love you, too. Have you been well? I have some gifts for you, and a new dress to wear to the Gala. Midnight blue and black, didn't you say?"

To her surprise, he seemed to have caught on her good mood, and they walked into the house with their arms circled around each other.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 25th, 1994

MR. ALLEN WAS pleasantly surprised when he opened the door and saw Vincent, dressed in crisp, midnight blue suit with thin white lines and maroon tie.

"Vincent!"

"Mr. Allen! Good evening!"

"Where are your parents?"

"At the Louvres'. We're staying there," Vincent said, flashing a toothy smile, "I am actually here to escort you and Jane."

"Right!" Mr. Allen exclaimed, repositioning his cufflinks, "She told me you asked her to be her dance partner."

"Yes, I did! If— If that is alright to you, of course."

"Alright? I'm very happy with the news!" Mr. Allen laughed a fatherly, encouraging laugh and slapped Vincent's arm a few times, who only replied with another dry laugh.

Thankfully for the boy, Daisy suddenly walked down the stairs in a navy dress, littered with glittering silver stars. Her golden hair were beautifully curled, posed in a half-up hairdo by matching star hairpins. She kept on hugging her arms over the semi-see-through fabric covering her collarbone and arms up to her elbows. "Father, isn't this too... exposing?"

"Jane, you're late," Mr. Allen remarked, "And the gown is fine."

"I'm sorry— Oh! Vincent, you're already here!" Daisy said in surprise.

"Wow," Vincent breathed out, "Way to make an entrance, Ms. Allen. You look... Wow."

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

December 25th, 1994

"HERMIONEWHO ARE you going to the ball with?"

Ron kept springing this question on her, hoping to startle her into a response by asking it when she lease expected it. However, Hermione merely frowned and said, "I'm not telling you, you'll just make fun of me."

"You're joking, Weasley!" Draco Malfoy suddenly appeared behind them, "You're not telling me someone's asked the long-molared Mudblood to the ball?"

Harry and Ron whipped around, pulling out their wands, but Hermione just waved to the empty space over Draco's shoulder and shouted loudly, "Hello, Professor Moody!"

Draco went pale and jumped backward, looking wildly around for the said professor, but he was nowhere in sight.

"Twitchy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy?" Hermione said smugly.

They spent the remainder of the evening with the rest of the Weasleys, having a snowball fight out on the grounds, until Hermione and Ginny excused themselves at five.

"What, you need three hours?" said Ron, looking at her incredulously. The girls just looked at each other with eyes that said, boys.

Paying for his lapse in concentration, the side of Ron's head was hit by a large snowball, courtesy of Fred.

"WHO ARE YOU GOING WITH?" Ron yelled after Hermione one last time, but she just waved and disappeared up the stone steps into the castle.

They weren't the only ones— while the men's part of the dormitories were quite empty, the women's wing were teeming with hysterical girls, all excited to transform into the best version of themselves.

Ginny brought the jewelry box she got from Daisy and her dress to Hermione's dorm room, where Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil were also pulling out an abundance of stuffs from their trunks.

"Where are you heading off to?" Lavender asked when Parvati carried her entire belonging and headed towards the door.

"Oh, the shared bathroom on the first floor," the latter replied, "I'm meeting up with my sister, Padma."

"Alright, then. Glam on, girl!" Lavender cheered, while Hermione and Ginny whooped in agreement.

"I hope it's alright for me to intrude the Fourth Year's room," Ginny said.

"Please!" Hermione grabbed Ginny's hand, "I need your professional help and opinion here."

"You do remember that I grew up with six brothers, don't you?"

"It's fine, it's fine. The more the merrier," Lavender said. "Now let the real magic begin."

It took one and a half hour for the three girls to work on their hair (Hermione had brought Muggle's hairspray to help keep their hairdo in tact throughout the night while Lavender had a number of hair care potions prepared).

Ginny had the front strands of her hair braided neatly then tied at the back with the ribbon Daisy had suggested. Lavender braided her hair down to the side then curled its tips. Hermione put on a generous amount of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion to tame her naturally bushy hair, then twisted it up into an elegant knot at the back of her head.

Then, the make-up.

By the time they had done putting on their dress robes, it was ten minutes to eight already.

"Look at the time!" Lavender shrieked, "I promised Seamus to meet him in the common room by now!"

Taking one last look at the mirror, she excused herself and said thank you for the other two girls' help.

"Gorgeous," Ginny breathed out, seeing how beautiful Hermione truly was, "I can't wait to see the look on Harry and Ron's faces when they see you like this. With Viktor Krum. Priceless."

Hermione laughed, "You, too. Neville is so lucky to have you as his partner."

Ginny drew a long breath and ducked her head.

"Now, don't look down," Hermione placed her hands on Ginny's shoulders, "It's Harry's loss for not inviting you first."

"Yes, but if I just waited a little longer—"

"He still won't see you the way he really should. Go out onto the dance floor tonight, show him how beautiful, fun, and strong you truly are— You know," Hermione beamed, "On second thought, don't do it for him, do it for you. Have fun! Enjoy the music, the food, and the ambience. You do you."

Ginny smiled at that, a smile that finally reached her eyes, "Okay."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 0 12
╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗ "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ...
21.3K 218 43
"We're meant to be, you and I, even if you don't want to accept it." - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - In which the eldest Weasley twin...
519K 14.6K 52
*WARNING! This book contains mature themes such as drinking, drug use, explicit language, mentions of suicide, sexual content, abuse, and more. Pleas...
110K 2K 108
________________________________________ *CURRENTLY RE-WRITING* finished by- 25/05/24 (hopefully) current re-write word count- 145,249 It's always...