The Heart's Content

By Emeraldlily16

The classic stories of Hans Christian Andersen meet the Southern Charm of Louisiana when a mermaid who's curi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125

Chapter 17

49 4 0
By Emeraldlily16

Charlie still felt unsure about this whole thing. Growing legs and exploring the human world was one thing but living with a human whom she had just met? That seemed a little unorthodox and this was coming from a real live mermaid. But for the good of all human beings and her sanity in regards to an impending betrothal, she would go along with this despite her skepticism. As she waited for Beth to return she decided to take a moment to practice using her new legs. Carefully she tried to stand on them. Boy did they feel shaky, walking and standing was not as easy as it looked. In fact she ended up tumbling over herself a few times.

"Okay this will obviously take some getting used to." She thought. "How do humans do this? Do they take lessons or something?"

"Charlie we're here!" She heard Beth call. "Alastor you wait there while I get her dressed."

"Did you have to use one of my best shirts?" She heard a man's voice ask.

"It was the only one that would hide everything."

Beth draped a long, white, button up shirt over Charlie followed by trying to make her hair look not quite as messy.

"Now when you meet him be sure to give him a good smile." Beth instructed. "My brother's first impression of people is always based on what kind of smile they have. Why? I don't know, it's one of his quirks."

"Alright."

Now covered, Charlie sat herself back down on that dry rock, carefully arranged her hair to where it wouldn't hang in her face, and spread her lips to form her best smile.

"Okay Al you can come out." Beth called.

He walked toward them with his hand over his eyes.

"Hello ma'am. My name is Alastor Boudreaux. My sister has informed me that you are having difficulty in securing proper lodgings for yourself. I will gladly assist you in locating a suitable abode for the evening if you wish."

"Alastor you can look. She's decent." Beth said.

"In that case." He started to slowly lower his hand from his eye sight. "I must apologize for my sister's impulsive invitation for you to stay in our house. I'm afraid I can't comply with-"

But once he had Charlie in his sights he was rendered completely speechless. Even in the state she was in with her hair in disarray and wearing nothing but a shirt that was too big for her, her beauty was remarkable. Her golden locks that appeared finer than silk, her blossoming rosy cheeks, her pearly white skin, her delicate frame, her eloquent eyes that twinkled between shades of blue and silver, her perfectly innocent smile. She looked just like an angel. He couldn't recall a time he had ever seen a woman more beautiful.

She too found it hard to speak. Her breath was caught in her throat because in the light of the morning sun, she could see his features so much better and with him being awake she could see the emotion that were expressed in said features. His rugged brown hair caught swiftly in the salty air, his well balanced movements, his cheerful dimples, his tone which had been kissed by the sun, his considerate brown eyes, his smile which was a mix of humor yet politeness. She could see why any woman would mistake him for a prince.

But there was something else that had them so very stunned. When their eyes met a sense of familiarity and nostalgia rose up inside of them. As if they had met before once, and were now trying to remember when and where. There almost seemed to be this instant connection between them and right away they were feeling drawn to each other. A desperate need to know more about who this person was.

"Hi..." Alastor said trying to remember how to talk again.

"Hi." She replied. "My name is Charlotte but please call me Charlie."

"Okay. Hi Charlie."

"You already said hi."

"Oh did I? I'm sorry."

"Do you um...Do you need something?"

"No...Not at all."

"Ahem!" Beth coughed. "You do actually."

"I do? Oh! I do! Excuse me!  I'm awfully sorry sir but I need a place to stay."

"For how long?" Alastor asked.

"Just for the Summer."

"That's a very long time."

"Well if I wouldn't want to impose and I understand it's not very ideal to allow someone  you just to stay with you. I can find my own place. I'm very resourceful."

"Charlie!" Beth argued.

"No Beth! I'm not going to inconvenience you and your brother. I'll just be going now- Oh!"

When she had tried to stand and walk away, she slipped from the rock. Alastor acted quick and she fell right into his arms. Their eyes locked gazes again but this time they only dwelled shortly and looked away.

"Sorry." She apologized bashfully. "I'm a little clumsy."

"Are you alright?" He clutched her tightly.

"Yes. Thank you. I bumped my head recently and I guess it hasn't healed up all the way yet."

She tried so hard to stand but her legs just kept wobbling. This was so embarrassing. What she wouldn't give to be able to hide herself under water.

"Do you feel dizzy?" Alastor asked her. "Light headed? Maybe I should take you to the emergency room."

"No!" Beth said. "She's just needs rest."

"Beth you're not in the medical profession. You don't what could be wrong with her."

"But she doesn't believe in doctors."

"What's a doctor?" Charlie said.

"See! She doesn't even know what they are. She'd freak at a hospital."

"Well I don't think it would wise to not take her to get looked at." Alastor said. "But you do seem alright, Charlie. I'll let you rest in the living room for awhile and see how you do."

"You really don't have to if you don't want to." Charlie said. "I can go somewhere else."

"While I'm still not completely onboard with having you stay in my house, I'm not opposed to letting you rest there until we sort things out. Especially if you might have a concussion."

Alastor placed Charlie's arm around his neck and slid his arm under her knees, literally sweeping her off her feet.

"I'm cautious but I'm also a gentleman."

He carried her back to the house with Beth following behind. She was surprised by how well the meeting between those two went.

"I knew he'd be hooked." She thought. "But I didn't think he'd be hooked that fast."

Once inside, Alastor sat Charlie down on the sofa  and handed her his bathrobe to wear.

"Can I get you anything?" He asked her. "Something to eat or drink?"

"A glass of salt water please." She requested.

"Excuse me?"

"A glass of salt water."

"I'll get it." Beth said going into the kitchen.

"So Charlie, where are you from?"  Alastor asked her.

"Oh here, there, everywhere." She answered.

"Is there anyone I could call for you?"

"I don't think that they could hear you from here."

"I meant on the phone."

"What's a phone?"

"You don't know what a phone is?"

"Nope. Never heard of them."

"Peculiar but alright. What about your family? Are they looking for you? Could I take you to them?"

"We're not on good terms right now. My father didn't approve of my recent life choices so I think we should spend some time apart until we reach an understanding."

"Okay I can understand that. Do you have any friends you can stay with?"

"Not here. You know I shouldn't have come here. I'm better off staying in the grotto."

"Grotto? You've been living in a grotto?"

"Is that not normal?"

"Not really."

"Alastor phone!" Beth called to him.

She handed him the telephone and he excused himself to answer the call. When Beth handed Charlie the cup of salt water she fixed, she cautioned her to drink carefully. One little spill could expose her true form right in front of Alastor.

"Well Rosie I'm not sure if I can come now I mean, I have a bit of a situation at the moment." Alastor said over the phone. "No it's not an emergency per-say it's just...I can't really explain it because it could give you the wrong idea."

Beth took the phone from him.

"Don't worry Rosie he'll be there."  Then she hung up.

"Beth!" Alastor scolded.

"Sorry Al but if you don't go you'll get fired. It's too soon for you to request time off."

"Beth I'm not leaving you alone with a stranger."

"Come on Al, if you really thought that she posed any kind of threat you wouldn't have brought her anywhere near our house. She's harmless and I can look after her until you get back from work."

"I'll be working late. Rosie says I probably won't get in til after ten."

"We'll be fine. We won't leave the house and tomorrow morning we can talk about her living accommodations."

"Beth I told you that she's not staying here."

"It's just for one night. Please! You heard her, her only other alternative is a cave. You wouldn't really leave her to live in one, would you?"

Oh curse his gentleman's code. It was one of the things Beth would often twist in her favor. Sneaking little girl, and sadly she would be victorious in this argument.

"One night." He told her. "Just one."

"Unless you change your mind."

"Which I won't." He said sternly. "Now I'm going to get ready for work and while I'm gone don't even think about doing anything I wouldn't approve of. Don't leave the house with her, don't let her invite anyone over, and if anything happens, call the police immediately. Understand?"

"I understand."

Alastor's sense of reason told him that something didn't fit right about all this. A random woman showing up with no clothes on and she is just invited into his house automatically, it seemed very foolish. Though on the other hand his gut told him that Charlie was someone to be trusted and that he could leave for work without fear. But why did he have that gut feeling about her? More importantly why was he so beguiled by her when he saw her. He had never been beguiled by any woman in his entire life. He didn't even think that it was possible. Yet the very moment he laid eyes on Charlie, he almost dropped his jaw. Just who was this woman and what kind of effect did she have on him?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 369 17
This is the story of a young woman who due to her words being misunderstood by her father, ends up in a seemingly hopeless situation. But after commi...
140K 3.1K 30
─── complete ღ ❱ Alastor's perspective. β€· 𝐓𝐇𝐄 princess of hell wants to end the feud between all creatures in hell. She wants everyone to be at...
94.6K 1.3K 28
Hazbin Hotel. A place for redemption, rehabilitation... And secrets. Everything was going fine until Alastor shows interest in Charlie. Seems the P...
15.4K 795 46
New Orleans - early 1920's - Right after the sunset and the moonlight shines above the city, a radio host crosses paths with a young woman who has ju...