Sparks

By chickenflavors

What would you do if you were told to save your soulmate from a dreading future? Claude Harris's encounter wi... More

Chapter 2: "I'm Joy, by the way."
Chapter 3: "... She always hated this day."
Chapter 4: "Grow up, Harris."
Chapter 5: "... It's not a crime to watch a theatre."
Chapter 6: "... Always causing trouble."
Chapter 7: "How's your day, Joy?"
Chapter 8: "... a special place in my heart."
Chapter 9: "We will be knows as legends!"
Chapter 10: "... it seems I forgot."
Chapter 11: "How could you..."
Chapter 12: "... stop blaming yourself."
Chapter 13: "... I'm at Joy's."
Chapter 14: "She's crazy."
Chapter 15: "... what she's capable of..."
Chapter 16: "She's awfully close today."
Chapter 17: "I hate you."
Chapter 18: "it's a date then."
Chapter 19: "... I need you to keep it a secret."
Chapter 20: "It must be difficult for you ..."
Chapter 21: "you don't fuck your friend's ex."
Chapter 22: "show them how it's done."
Chapter 23: "how can you be this perfect?"
Chapter 24: "fate is a strong word."
Chapter 25: Set the bond, Claude
Chapter 26: "This isn't your typical truth or dare."
Chapter 27: "Don't fuck it up."
Chapter 28: "the play is about her life."
Chapter 29: "I love her, your Highness."
Chapter 30: "good job, Jocelyn."
Chapter 31: "My nerd."
C̶̻͇͙̝̉h̡̪̣̜͎̰̉͗̓ȃ͍̗̬̦̖̥͍͂͠p̧̖̯͙̣̔t̢͍̪̱͙̭̺͚̩̚̚e̸̜̦ͧ͐̿r̩͕͙̦̽̑̀?̲̫̪̻͔̲̍͗́̀ͅ
Chapter 32: "Because he loves her?"
Chapter 33: "You've made her life miserable."
Chapter 34: "I'm just curious."
Chapter 35: "Do you have a praise kink or something?"
Chapter 36: "I've never been better after spitting on that asshole."
Chapter 37: "is there any chance to be my girlfriend?"
Chapter 38: "You're so fucked, Lydia."
Chapter 39: Saturday.
Chapter 40: "What's the meaning of this, Jocelyn?"
Chapter 41: "Shut up, shut up. Shut. Up!"
Chapter 42: "I haven't said I loved him, Dion."
Chapter 43: "... You deserve to know."
Chapter 44: "If I don't leave Martin. Will I die?"
Chapter 45: "There was no Us from the start."
Chapter 46: "Stay with me, please."
Chapter 47: This is how our story ends.
Chapter 48: Or is it?
Author's Note.
Aftermath.

Chapter 1: "... she's my soulmate?"

5.6K 140 29
By chickenflavors

Do you want to know one thing that could ruin your day? I should be partying the day before my senior year. Instead, I got to see my girlfriend hooking up with one of the jocks. Ugh, I don't understand her taste with the jocks. I can't stand their toxic masculinity and their armpits.

"Babe, I'm sorry. Please, it's not what it looks like," Lydia pleaded through the phone.

"Really? Cause what it looks like you were sucking Cain's face," I stated blandly. I stared on the road and replayed the memory when I was staggered at Lydia kissing Cain in the bathroom. I escaped from the scene and wandered off somewhere with my Corolla. I remember Lydia broke my heart into pieces, and my body started to tremble.

"Well, technically yes, but-"

I groaned, "thank you, Captain Obvious. Now please leave me alone."

The conversation died down a bit, and I heard Lydia scoff, "Claude, I don't need this right now. Just come back here, and we'll talk."

I can't believe what I just heard. I should be saying it! Not her. Why is she even looked mad? I was supposed to be mad at her. I hate when she does this, "Really? I can't believe you said that. Do you even understand how I feel?" I gave her a second to talk, and I heard her take a deep breath.

"Are you driving, Claude? You're drunk," Lydia said, ignoring my remarks.

"I'm not drunk! You're drunk, Lydia!" I exclaimed to the phone. I might be drunk, but I'm not drunk enough to forget what I just saw at the party.

"Another reason why I accidentally kissed Cain," I can feel her eyes rolling, "where are you anyway?"

"What is wrong with you, Lydia? And it's none of your business to know my whereabouts," I grunted and hung up the phone harshly. I threw my phone to the passenger seat and breath sharply.

Sometimes I forget how did I fall for someone like Lydia. We've been in a relationship for two years, and everything was fine at first. Lydia Todd wasn't the girl I used to know after joining the cheerleaders in Junior year. She was shy, cute, and constantly flustered when I came around her. But, when she started hanging out with the cheerleaders, she began to use makeup and wear too revealing clothes- not that I was complaining. It's just her personality changed. I don't understand the cause of her sudden changes. Is it her fault for being friends with the wrong people, or is it me who's failed to protect her?

I stopped my car at the nearest beach. I was passing through the trees and the lamp post shining through the darkness of New Jersey. The stores that I've walked past closed already. I mean, it's midnight. Of course, they're closed. I walk towards my favourite spot to contemplate my thoughts. I went to the docks and towards the bench at the end of the ports. I always come here alone whenever I feel overwhelmed. I sat on the bench, stared at the blue ocean, and asked myself, "is there any reason for me to keep maintaining this relationship with Lydia?"

I was happy with Lydia when she was the Lydia I knew. Ever since she changed, there was never a day without us arguing about non-sense things, and I was the one who always gave in. I don't know how I'm still with her. One thing she's good at is her words. Yeah, she is always good with her words which allows her to manipulate me. I admit I always fell for her words. I just... I don't have the guts to... I don't know... I don't even know what I'm talking about.

I sighed and grasped my necklace with a key pendant. It's a matching necklace I had with Lydia. I have the key pendant, and she has the padlock pendant.

"I know you'll be here," a woman voiced behind me. I looked behind, and I saw a woman walking towards me. The moon lights her brunette hair and her tired eyes staring at me. Her oversized olive pea coat warmed her body. She looks like she is in her twenties or something. Why does she look like me? Maybe it's because of the hair, face, and way she walks.

"Can I help you?" I asked as she made herself comfortable sitting beside me, "my parents told me about stranger danger, and I can sense danger all over you."

"Good, you should be," she took a pack of cigarettes from her pocket, and I could see her tattoo on her arm. I was too distracted staring at her tattoo that I didn't realize she was handing me a lighter, "can you light it for me?" I hesitated at first, but my guts told me I could trust this stranger. So I took her lighter and lit up her cigarettes on her lips. She inhaled the smoke and exhaled it.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I asked the stranger because she's look exactly like me.

She shrugged, "I hope so. I seem to know you," she said as she inhaled her cigarette.

"What brings you here?" I asked again.

"I used to come here when I was your age," she replied as she slumped down her shoulders.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pursed my lips, "I thought I was the only one."

"How about you, why are you here?" the lady asked me.

"Something happened, and I need to cool off my head," I said as I tried not to tell any information to the stranger. But, as she keeps talking, I can sense the confidence inside her and the intimidation. I don't even feel awkward around her. How?

"Tell me, and don't worry, I won't bite," she said as she winked at me.

I shook my head and laughed, "how can I tell you something when I don't even know your name?"

"Good point," she said, and she took her hand up, "let's have a proper introduction. My name is Kinsley."

Kinsley? What a coincidence, my middle name is Kinsley, "I'm Claude, nice to meet you, Kinsley," I shook her hand.

"Well, it's nice to meet you too, Claude. Now then, are you going to tell me?" Kinsley said and plastered a smirk.

"You're being persistent right now, Kinsley," I remarked.

"Well, I guess that's who I am. How about this, you'll tell me about your problems, and I'll let you know mine?" Kinsley negotiated and crossed her arm. We won't meet again after this either, so it won't hurt to tell her something.

"Fine. I came here because I was at a party, and then my girlfriend was sucking off a boy's face," I said as I clenched my fist whenever I replay the memories in my mind.

"Wow, it would be suck if you don't want to break up with her," Kinsley said in sarcasm, and I just looked at her deadpan. Good guess, Kinsley, "Please don't tell me you-" Kinsley looked at my serious face and laughed, "that's funny, Claude."

"That's the problem. I don't feel like breaking up with her," I said in despondent.

"Oh, you're serious," Kinsley realized and cleared her throat. She patted my back, "you need to get rid of that hoe."

I narrowed my eyes in disbelief and removed her arm from me, "you can't call her that. You don't even know her."

"I've lived for twenty-four years, and yes, I know that kind of woman," Kinsley said, "you're still eighteen. There're a lot of girls who deserve you," I guess she has a point. Coming from an older person, she must have gone through many types of women.

"I'm 18 next year, but I get your point," I said as I sighed, "Enough about me. How about you?"

She took a deep breath and threw her cigarettes into the ocean, "Honestly, I'm here for you."

I raised an eyebrow in confusion, "and now it's your turn to tell me," I said. What does she mean she's here for me? Did I do something wrong? Is she a cop or something?

"Don't worry, I'm not a cop," she stated like she was reading my mind and laughed. She got up from her seat and walked towards the railing, "come, I want to show you something."

I was confused at first, but I approached her, "what is it?" I asked.

She took the collar of my shirt, "do you trust me?" Okay, every time a character says that doesn't end well in a movie. I search for a joke in Kinsley's face, but I found none. She also sounds serious.

"No?" I said.

She shook her head, "I don't take no for an answer."

"What are you going to do, Kinsley?" I asked as I tried to pry off her hand from my collar, but she was too strong. Then I can sense a panic inside me, and my hands start to tremble.

"Trust me, Claude. I need you to be calm," she said, reassuring me.

"I can't trust you when I don't even know what you're going to do!" The tone of my voice starts to rise. Is she going to throw me into the ocean with her?

"Please, Kinsley. If you want to take me with you to the ocean, count me out," I stated.

"I'm not going to commit suicide!" Kinsley snapped, which made me quiet down, "whatever I'm going to do next, just don't panic, alright?"

"I can't, Kinsley!" I exclaimed. She just rolled her eyes, ignoring my panic, and pulled over the railing. I can feel the gravity pulling me down and splashing to the ocean. Kinsley kept pulling me deeper into the sea in calm while I panicked and tried to get her off me, but I heard a voice inside my head.

"Claude, calm down. This is going to be over soon," they said, but I think Kinsley said that sentence because of her expression that is telling me to be calm.

I have no choice but to follow her instruction. I stopped panicking and let go of Kinsley's grip. Kinsley's hair is flying in the water, and I can see her face. She does look like me. I feel like staring at my future self. After that, I allowed the unconscious to overtake my body.

~~~

I woke up and tried to catch my breath. I couldn't breathe for a few minutes when Kinsley pushed me to the ocean. I can't believe her... I look around to see where I am now. I'm lying on a wooden floor- more like a vinyl. I saw a girl reading her book on the bed, but I couldn't identify her because the book was in the way.

Kinsley was standing beside me. Where am I exactly?

I look around the room and feel like an example of a modern bedroom idea in Google. The room's colour is grey and black. The King-sized bed in front of me looks too big for the girl alone, and next to the bed, there's a bookshelf. There's a big painting on the right with two doors on the side. I'm guessing both are the walk-in closet and the bathroom. On the left, a large window is closed by a grey curtain. And behind me, a study table along with a book opened but untouched.

I stood up and looked at Kinsley furiously, "where am I, Kinsley?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Look, I can explain, but I need you not to get all mad at me," Kinsley said, and she took her hands up in defence.

I sighed and put my hands on my hips, "explain, now."

"Thank you. Now, do you see that girl on the bed?" Kinsley pointed at the girl. I don't think the girl can see us because usually, you'd freak out to see two women suddenly appear in your room.

"Yes," I replied.

"She will be your soulmate starting from now."

I stopped, and I peered intently at her. I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion, "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," Kinsley crossed her arm, "I need you to persuade her to be your girlfriend before graduation."

"What do you mean she's my soulmate?" I asked, "I have a girlfriend!"

"Its fate, Claude. Just make her yours before graduation, and you're done. Oh, and make sure you and your soulmate's feelings are genuine."

I sighed and shook my head, trying to grasp the new information. What does she mean that she's my soulmate? I have Lydia, for God's sake!

"What if I don't want to?" I challenged Kinsley. When Kinsley wanted to answer my question, we were interrupted by a knock on the door.

The girl was startled. She hid the book under the duvet and paced to the study table, and acted like she was reading the book the whole time, "Come in, father," she said to the door.

I approached the girl and tried to identify her. She looks familiar. Her blond hair over her shoulders, her plump pink lips, and her beautiful green eyes blind me. I know this girl. She's Jocelyn Wright, the cheerleading captain for the varsity team.

"Joy?" I asked in disbelief. She keeps reading her book like she doesn't hear me calling her name, "Joy is my soulmate?!" I looked at Kinsley over my shoulders, waiting for an explanation. I can't believe the captain of the cheerleader varsity team is my soulmate.

"Listen to their conversation carefully, and it will answer your question," Kinsley said to me, "this is the day after she was told that she'll marry a guy after she graduates."

"What are you doing, honey?" The door opened, revealing a middle-aged man with neatly short blond hair and a black suit. I think I'm the only student who finally meets Mr. Wright.

"I'm just studying," she said with her eyes still on the book.

"Oh Jocelyn, I said you don't need to study. Just graduated high school, and you'll be fine," Mr. Wright said as he put his arm on Joy's shoulders. I don't know why I can sense her tensed over her dad's touch.

"I know, but-"

"There's no but. Just close the book. It would help if you didn't get stressed because you're going to be taking care of your fiancee," her dad said while he took the book in front of her and put it inside the bookshelves beside the table.

Fiancee? Does she have a fiancee?

"But Father, I don't like to marry the person who I don't love," Joy stated to her dad. Mr. Wright sighed and stroked his daughter's hair. I can feel the fear inside Joy. What makes her feel this way? What did her dad do to her?

Her dad kneeled to be on the same level as Joy, "I'm doing this for your good, alright? Dion wants to be a scientist, and I need a male successor. Martin Clifford will do the job."

Martin Clifford? That must be Joy's fiancee.

"Why don't you trust me, father? Do you think I'm not capable of handling your business?" Joy pleaded at her father, and he laughed, "why can't you think that I'm capable of being like Dion?"

Who's Dion?

"Don't be silly, Jocelyn. This is a serious matter," Mr. Wright considers Joy's sentence a joke. I can feel the sadness inside Joy. I didn't know she went through this.

Mr. Wright approached the door and left Joy alone in the room. Joy's eyes started to watery, and she instantly went to her bed. She put the duvet over her body and began to break down.

"This isn't fair," a woman's voice echoed inside my head.

"Who said that?" I asked Kinsley.

"Joy," Kinsley answered, "you can listen inside her head. But, she can't hear you."

"That's the reason why I should be doing whatever you just told me? So that she doesn't marry the person she doesn't love?" I asked Kinsley, and she nodded.

"Yes, and if you fail, you will get bad luck for the rest of your life."

"Isn't that a bit harsh?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"I'll make it simple for you to understand. Option one, the both of you will receive pathetic life if you don't date sincerely with each other. Option two, if you two date sincerely, the both of you will receive the happiest life until you die," Kinsley explained.

***

Heya! It's chicken here. I'm happy to say that this is my second book! I will try my best to finish this book because I've been thinking of this plot in the middle of writing my other book, Influence.

Anyway, don't forget to vote!

-chicken

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 151 31
Soulmate AU. >Completed< ~~~~~~~~~ HUGE TW This story contains: Substance abuse, mentions of rape, self harm, bullying, physical violence, verbal ab...
Soulmates By Venus Nex

General Fiction

2.7K 56 36
In a world where soulmates are something everyone has, Callie and Harper have circumstances that differ from the norm. Callie always knew her soulma...
866K 42.3K 31
[A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY] If you touch your skin with ink, the marks you make will appear on your soulmate's skin too. Those who have this power...