The March Cousin! ➼︎ [Little...

By bonbonsandbooks

Beth March has passed on. Amy is to travel to Europe with Aunt March. Jo is going to stay home to home to hel... More

The March Cousin! [Little Women]
Disclaimer|Copyrights:
Chapter 1 ➼︎ Ginger Cake!
Chapter 2 ➼︎ Poetry
Chapter 3 ➼︎Teddy!
Chapter 4 ➼︎ Meg's Wedding Day!
Chapter 5 ➼︎ Artistic Attempts!
Chapter 6 ➼︎ Amy's Party!
Chapter 7 ➼︎ Lazy Laurie
Chapter 9 ➼︎ Courtship
Chapter 10 ➼︎ White Gloves
Fun Facts:
Author Note:
Chapter 11 ➼︎ Baby Blessings!
Chapter 12 ➼︎ Facing The Facts
Chapter 13 ➼︎ Needing Answers
Chapter 14 ➼︎ Nurse Fiona!
Author Note:
Author Note
Chapter 15 ➼︎ Saying Goodbye
Chapter 16 ➼︎ Trains
Chapter 17 ➼︎Books
Chapter 18 ➼︎ Professors
Chapter 19 ➼ Wedding Dresses
Chapter 20 ➼ Story Time
Chapter 21 ➼ Wedding Plans
Chapter 22 ➼ Before The Wedding

Chapter 8 ➼︎ Long Letters

218 15 4
By bonbonsandbooks

[Author Note: Before phones the often kept in touch by writing long letters. Letters were the only way families back then could know what was going on with each other. I love getting letters still. It's a fun hobby]

Dedication: Roxydog05

Chapter 8, Long Letters!

I was busy writing letters on a rainy afternoon. Meg was going to try to come over to cheer me up. Laurie was busy with his grandfather. I had gotten a hearty letter from Jo. And she said Amy had sent out letters that I was sure to be getting one in the mail from Paris soon. I was looking forward to that. I loved letters. I loved opening them.

Reading them. I saved all my letters my parents once written to each other back when they fell in love. And the letters ones my mom had written back to my uncle here in this house. My mom had been so close to this family. I knew she missed them when she moved away. I sure missed my family so very much. Having her letters were having something of her that was close to my heart.

I was sitting in the attic . At Jo's desk. Rereading her letter she wrote to me. She had said she befriended a German professor. A Mr. Bhear. I wondered if Jo fancied him. Though she always claimed she was never going to marry and that she was never going to have kids. But Jo might one day. She might surprise us all.

Her letter read:

•✿︎︎•

Dearest Fiona,

I enjoy living in New York very much. It is a new life for me out here. The change of pace that I needed. I have been helping Marmee's friend with her kids. A boarding house is really no place for children. But they have adapted well here. Kitty and Mini are dear girls. And my professor. He is a stout man. Cheerful face. He has a wonderful library and he lets me borrow his books to read. His German father would love to speak with him about his beliefs'. He knows I love to write. And how I long to transform something out of it. He has read some of my work and I find myself nervous to see what he thinks of me. He has read many of great writers. I am sure he will humble me with what he thinks of my writings. It is spring here in New York. We have gotten many rain showers. I am sure you back home have as well. How is my boy Laurie? I have not heard back from him though I have tried to send him letters. I am sure he is ignoring me and tending to his wounds. One day he shall forgive his Jo. But until then please look after him for me?

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Your Jo

I smile as I watch the rain pelts down on the window. I begin to write Jo back.

•✿︎︎•

Dearest Jo,

I have kept true to my word. Looking after Mr. Laurence. He is doing well. We walked to the park the other day. We placed flowers upon Beth's beloved grave. Hannah has taught me many new dishes and crafts. I am keeping myself busy here. I helped uncle in the church with cleaning it for sunday. There is much to do before summer arrives here. I look forward to hearing about your adventures. I hope you will let me know what your professor thinks of your work. I think you are a splendid writer. We all do. I know you will make something of yourself out there Jo. It is a matter of time. I to have been dabbling with poetry. But that is all. I miss Paris. I find myself homesick when I see my mother's smile on your father's happy face. Or the shimmer of her eyes in his. But it is nice to have reminders of her around. One day I shall not ache for them. I hope you write again soon. I miss you to Jo. I hope we meet again one day.

Until Then Your Fiona

I smile as I fold the letter up and place it in an evelope. I walk down to the mailbox with my umbrella in my hand. I see Laurie come out of his home. He rushes to greet me. Thunder booms over head of us.

•✿︎︎•

"You will catch a cold Fiona" he worries over me.

"I am fine. I am mailing a letter" I say with a smile.

"Care to join grandfather and myself for some warm tea?" he offers.

Meg was not there yet. I nod.

"I would love to" I answer him.

I head in Laurie's home after I place the letter in the mailbox. He seemed worried over me. I sneeze a bit. Then he hands me his handkerchief.

"I never have used it" he chuckles.

"Thank you" I gratefully answer.

I blow my nose. Then we join his grandfather for tea.

"Two lumps of sugar?" asks his grandfather once we had a cup of tea and a cookie.

"One please thank you" I answer.

He nods then smiles.

"Dreary day out" says his grandfather.

"Oh I like the rain. The sound is soothing. The water makes the plants grow strong for us. And then the sun warms us when the rain is done. And sometimes we see rainbows up in the sky also." I add.

"Spoken like a true poet" laughs Laurie.

I blush.

"Thank you" I giggle.

"What were you up to?" wonders Laurie. "I have been very bored"

"I was writing Jo back" I mention softly.

He winces.

•✿︎︎•

"Jo how is she?" he mutters.

"She says she wrote you. Did you get her letter?" I ask.

"Me? No I got no letter from Jo" he tells me. "not yet"

"I see"

Was he lying?

"How is Amy? Any letters from her? I did get one from her" he tells me.

"No none from Amy yet" I answer.

He should have gotten Jo's letter first.

"I got a letter from Jo. I thought I gave you the one from her" his grandfather says.

"Maybe I did. I do not recall grandfather" grumbles Laurie. He heads out of the room.

I sigh.

"I made a mess of things" I sigh.

"Why? Is he sore at Jo still?" wonders his grandfather.

"I am afraid so" I answer. "please excuse me. I am going to talk to him"

I head into the library where Laurie was. He looked angered.

"I am sure you know about the new professor want to talk about him to?" mutters Laurie as he looks out the window.

"You did get her letter" I sigh.

"I did not want to talk about Jo" he grumbles.

"Laurie" I sigh.

"Do tell me how close they are. Are they going to call on one another?" he grumbles.

"I am sorry Laurie. I won't bring up Jo" I answer.

"How handsome and how smart is the professor? He is German correct? So worldly" complains Laurie.

"I am leaving. Good day" I sharply end things at that.

I head out of there. Wandering back home. Meg was over.

"Where have you been? I am sorry I was running late" Meg tells me.

"I was talking to Laurie. That is over with" I answer.

Someone knocks on the door. Meg let's Laurie in.

"We need to talk Fiona" demands Laurie.

"We are done talking" I snap with anger.

"I will meet you in the kitchen with Hannah" stammers Meg. She leaves the room.

We fume at one another.

"I am sorry I snapped back there" he begins to say.

I say nothing.

•✿︎︎•

"It is hard to hear how happy Jo is doing. You have to give me time" he softly tells me.

"Fine!" I say.

"I think we have a wonderful friendship going between us. Something could bloom there one day" he admits. "given time"

"Nothing is there but friendship. Not sure what you are talking about" I lie. I was hurt. Not going to let him hurt me again.

He touches my arm.

"You know there is something between us Fiona. You can't deny our day in the park. We have grown closer" he softly has to remind me.

I glance the other way.

"Fiona, I am still hurting. I admit it. But I want to get over Jo. I want to see what might be with us" he says.

"I do not wish to be courted by someone who has feelings for my cousin" I sternly remark.

"I know. I will go. For now. I am sorry for hurting you Fiona" he replies to me. "don't give up on me yet" he begs. Then he heads out of there.

I wince.

Men were a pain. He was not over my cousin. I did not need to be his pity non Jo courtship. I did not need his pity at all. I brush aside tears. Who needed him.

"Is everything alright?" Meg asks as she comes back in the room.

"I will be fine" I softly say.

"We are making baked glazed peaches. Come learn with us" Meg offers.

"Sounds delightful" I say. "I would love to."

I brush all thoughts of Laurie and the letters aside to go enjoy time with my family.

•✿︎︎•

Bonus:

How to Make Baked Glazed Peaches:

1. Make crumb topping: In a small bowl add the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles small crumbs.

2. Peel peaches (Optional! You can leave the skins on) slice in half and remove the pit.

3. Arrange in baking pan. Place the peaches face-up in a small baking pan. Add a big spoonful of crumb topping to the center of each peach.

4. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes or until crumb topping is golden brown. Remove from oven and drizzle a little bit of caramel sauce over each peach.

Two process photos for filling fresh peach halves with crumble topping and baking.

5. Serve. Top with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream (and extra caramel sauce), if desired.

A freshly baked peach with an oat crumble filling, vanilla ice cream, and homemade caramel sauce.

Tips for this recipe:

Choose the right peaches: I love freestone (rather than clingstone) peaches because the pit comes out easily when they're sliced in half. Look for peaches that have nicely colored red and yellow skin, peaches that smell "peachy"and that give just slightly when you gently squeeze them. These are all signs of ripeness.

Peel peaches the easy way: Check out my guide for super easily peeling peaches!
Make Ahead Instructions:

Make the crumb topping ahead of time and peel peaches ahead of time if you like to bake them without the peel. You can also make the caramel sauce ahead of time if making homemade. Assemble and bake just before serving and serve warm!!

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Thanks for reading!

•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•

нσρє уσυ αℓℓ єиʝσує∂ тнє cнαρтєя!
           мσяє тσ cσмє!!!
           ------∂αℓαιиα

• Please vote!!!

• Hit that star ☆!!

• I ♥ comments!!

|Fan|Vote|Comment|Love|Share|Save|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 119K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
8.8K 224 5
'You loved me because you were bored.. Love her.. Be with her.. treat her better.. sorry for not being the lover you wanted. ' Tsukishma said before...
8.3K 1.3K 35
چیرۆکێک دەستپێکی چیرۆکی ئێمە بوو
1K 73 9
a story of simi and saran . what if simi decided to get married after leaving academy and their heartbreaks