Ignatius-Valdis: Book 0# [Hea...

By authorkjohansson

A DEMON WITHIN. AN UNKNOWN ENEMY. A DEADLY THREAT. Gothalia Ignatius-Valdis is cursed and hated but will be h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue I - Part I

Chapter 12

64 0 0
By authorkjohansson

After talking to Danteus, Gothalia strode the Cetatea. She knew that no matter where Anton and Maximus were, she could always find them. Not that she was entirely certain how. She simply knew. She could see, when others couldn't. Gothalia strode along the breezeway then up the stairs and towards the open balcony with transparent railings. Vines climbed along the railing, almost as if they were floating.

Gothalia paused. A familiar sensation she hadn't expected, graced her. She knew that feeling. It was the presence of another Deamone. She didn't know how she knew she just did. It was like that person's energy harmonised with her own and it was unfamiliar unlike Anton and Maximus's. She scanned her surroundings, unaware of Altair walking beneath the balcony on the ground level towards his next errand.

When the energy faded, Gothalia relaxed and strode along the corridor before pausing once again. Familiar presences caught her senses before her eyes made out the swirls in the air like distant heat rays and she crossed her arms and shifted her weight. Then raised her brow, "You're going to come on out now, right?" she queried. Immediately, black smoke appeared from the swirl of transparent waves with specks of their natural energetic colours sparking here and there until they reappeared before her.

"How did you know?" Maximus asked, more annoyed than sceptical. "How is it you always know?"

Gothalia shrugged and strode past them.

"Did you guys notice another Deamone in the area just a few moments ago?" Gothalia wondered. Anton and Maximus shared a look.

"No." They both answered.

Gothalia brushed off the concern folding their features and strode down another set of stairs and towards the carpark. She moved to the shared car, not without light banter, parked in the allocated parking spot the day they joined. Maximus and Anton climbed into the car and Gothalia briefly glanced over her shoulder at the Cetatea and the lot. Turning her heel, she followed Anton and Maximus, who sat in the car waiting for her.

When she piled into the back seat, Anton pulled out of the lot and onto a minor road that led to the security checkpoint before exiting onto the main road. "Why am I in the back?" Gothalia inquired, pulling at the safety straps over her chest. Double checking, she buckled in.

"Because I called shotgun," Maximus declared, chewing on the red fire sticks. He held out the black and red bag to her. "Want some?" Gothalia regarded the fire sticks then crossed her arms.

"Not right now," she said. "Maybe later."

Maximus shrugged and leaned away. His hand dug into the bag as he faced the front. "Later is when they'll be all gone."

"That's okay. I don't mind. I still have to get you back for earlier anyway." Gothalia said and winked at Anton who glanced at her in the rear-view mirror before shaking his head while Maximus muttered "sure" and how he'd like to see that. Gothalia glanced out the window, from the seat behind Anton. In a strange way, she was happy to head home and a part of her couldn't wait. Then the car stopped, confused she glanced out the front windscreen. Her eyes tapered on the people on the road and in front of the car. She regarded the digital signs in their hands before taking in the other vehicles of assorted designs around them. "What's going on?"

"I'm not sure . . . a protest." Maximus said, scanning the people in front of the bonnet of the car. He glanced at Anton. "We're not going to get past, are we?"

"No, we're not." Anton said, then reversed the car before another could break behind them and turned down a different road. The noise from the protest faded from their ears, Gothalia turned from the back window where she viewed the fading crowd and to the front once more, wondering why they were even protesting. Without a word, Anton tapped the screen in the dashboard and a hologram leapt from it, portraying an anchor-woman talking about the current protest, Princess Evangelina, and the Fire Reserve Royal Family and the Grand Elders. "So, it is a protest."

"It looked like it," Maximus said. Then finished the bag of chips, sticking it in a circular holder. Gothalia knew the bin would disintegrate the packet in moments. "What's it to us?"

"I don't know just thought it was interesting," Anton declared, dismissively.

Gothalia turned her eyes to the device on the back of the seat and tapped the screen. A message popped up from Anaphora: are you on your way? Gothalia happily confirmed they were, before getting out of it and leaning back in her seat.

When Gothalia, Maximus and Anton climbed out of the car. She marched from the garage and into the house. Swiftly, Gothalia entered the kitchen, and noticed L'Eiron sitting at the table with his furrowed brows and distant expression.

Gothalia moved to the cooler and pulled out an orange juice. Closing the door, she moved to L'Eiron cautiously. "You okay?" she asked him, worried. L'Eiron regarded her surprised for a moment before nodding. "You want an orange juice or something?"

"Just a tea." Gothalia placed the juice on the table before she could leave, L'Eiron swiftly stood and told her to sit down, and that he'd make it. Gothalia wanted to argue but he added. "Do you want one?" she glanced at the orange juice, then nodded a moment later.

"Is the cooler alright?" she asked, when he entered the kitchen. "It's a little low. Do we need to recharge it?"

L'Eiron gave a her a look before preparing the tea. "You live with me remember? How long have I been recharging appliances around here? At least unlike the surface world, we don't have to pay for the electricity."

Gothalia smiled, "true. And we are grateful oh master of electricity." She replied with a little more sarcasm. L'Eiron raised a brow but didn't say anything.

Uncapping her drink, she devoured most of her drink, before Maximus and Anton entered. Maximus sat on the end of the bench, near L'Eiron while Anton pulled out a glass of orange juice and raised a brow at Maximus's behaviour, before he noticed L'Eiron behind him and his immediate irritation. Instantly, Anton marched to the dining table where Gothalia sat. Both Anton and Gothalia didn't utter a single word and deliberately avoided Maximus's gaze. "What's with you two all of a sudden?" Maximus asked, confused by their reactions.

"I don't know Max. It might be because of one of the many rules you're breaking right now," L'Eiron voiced, coolly from behind him. Shocked, Maximus glanced at L'Eiron and hopped off the bench as if he'd been burnt. "Like feet or shoes on the tables, shoes in the house, messy rooms and bathrooms plus all the other rules. You get it, right? Meaning right now, your butt like I told you so many times when you were a teenager should never be where we make our meals. Or did you suddenly forget?"

"No," Maximus managed, awkwardly.

"I hope not. You're an adult now. I shouldn't have to remind you." L'Eiron remarked and turned back to the teas. Maximus pulled out a piece fruit from the cooler and moved to the dining table, growling at Anton and Gothalia for not informing him of L'Eiron's presence under his breath. They instead laughed at his embarrassment and growing irritation. Once L'Eiron was finished with the teas, Anaphora entered the room, and beamed at them with a unusually bright smile. At her reaction, they regarded each other confused.

"We'll look whose home," Anaphora greeted. "It feels like forever since you've been gone."

Maximus glanced at Anton in confusion. Gothalia didn't miss it just chose not to acknowledge it. "It's only been a week," she replied.

"Am I not allowed to miss you?" Anaphora asked and moved to the bench. "It's the longest you've been gone."

"No, you're not." Gothalia sarcastically replied and drank her juice. L'Eiron and Anaphora shared that look they always gave after Gothalia's quips while L'Eiron placed the tea before her and his beside her at his seat.

"Why didn't we get one?" Maximus asked, eyeing the teas.

"Because I already sat down," L'Eiron said, regarding Maximus.

Gothalia and Anton stifled a laugh while Anaphora smiled. "Since I'm not allowed to miss you children. Will you at least tell me how it was?"

"We're not children," Maximus replied. "And it was alright." Anaphora and L'Eiron glanced at each other with a knowing look for a split second, something Anton caught, but didn't mention.

"They say they're not children Anaphora, but they still have immature tendencies," L'Eiron replied, and regarded Maximus with accusing eyes. Gothalia tried not to laugh while Anton laughed. Swiftly, Maximus hit him in the arm.

"It's not funny."

"It so is," Anton smirked and leaned back in the chair.

"Hey, I remember a specific immature tendency you had a few weeks ago," Anaphora put in and Anton's confidence stilled. Curiosity flickered across L'Eiron, Gothalia and Maximus's faces. Anton watched her carefully, but Anaphora recognised the fear in his eyes, and she smiled, satisfied by his reaction. "Do you want me to tell everyone? I mean it is your embarrassing secret to keep right?"

"Can you please?" Gothalia asked eagerly, while L'Eiron and Maximus watched the interaction silently. She wanted to know some dirt on Anton, to hold against him later. He had no problem doing it to her. Even if it was mostly just for fun.

"Shut up." Anton said to her.

"You shut up." Gothalia replied.

"Both of you shut up." L'Eiron ended, somewhat irritated.

The table quietened, and Maximus asked, "So are you going to tell us?"

Anaphora regarded Anton from where she stood behind the bench, "Hmm, maybe later." Then turned from them and placed the groceries on the corner bench. "I've got extra shopping in the car. You know the drill." Without another word Gothalia, Anton and Maximus left the dining room table and moved to the car.

When they left, Anaphora turned to L'Eiron. "Did you tell her?"

"No, not yet."

"Good."

L'Eiron watched her for a moment and noticed the tension in her shoulders. "You need to relax. If she's here they can't get to her and as long as she's with us she's safe."

"I know but you know anything can happen. It's best to be prepared for everything." Anaphora reminded.

"I know I had said that when they were children. I can't believe you still remember that?" L'Eiron said.

Anaphora shrugged. A sudden sadness washed over Anaphora and L'Eiron started, "Maybe if we—" Then was cut off by the arguments and thudding footfalls down the hall. "Never mind." He said, with a sigh returning to his tea and reading his book. Anaphora smiled at his usually unbothered reaction.

In seconds, Gothalia, Anton and Maximus returned with the shopping, Anaphora didn't say anything when Anton growled Maximus for almost dropping a few items while Gothalia ignored the argument and started unpacking and putting everything away. "Why must you guys always argue about this? Just do it." Gothalia rumbled annoyed and positioned herself between them before removing the items from the crates.

"We're not arguing about it." Anton said, unpacking the other crate. "Max almost dropped an entire box outside."

"Yeah, but I caught it in time. It's in one piece." Maximus replied, helping Gothalia put them away. Until they recognised that something had spilled. Stillness and silence ensued the room and Anaphora sighed and placed her head in her hand while L'Eiron rolled his eyes. Gothalia, Anton and Maximus continued to bicker until everything was put away and Anaphora eventually asked what spilled.

"The coco powder." Gothalia replied, cautiously.

"Don't worry about it. I'll get some more later; it wasn't too expensive anyway." Anaphora said. "Is that everything?" Everyone confirmed it was. Anaphora forced them out of the kitchen before something else happened. L'Eiron laughed at how quickly she dismissed them and at how frightened they appeared.

Anaphora frowned and crossed her arms. "I swear those kids, always know how to make things difficult." L'Eiron regarded Gothalia's barely touched tea and glanced at Anaphora.

"Want some tea?" he asked her. "Gothalia hasn't touched it and it's still warm."

Anaphora smiled and asked, "Jasmine?"

"No Earl Grey."

Anaphora shrugged, taking her seat beside L'Eiron she drank the tea. "I'll take the risk. Teas are always so expensive." She relaxed when the warm liquid touched her lips, calming her anxiety at the arrival of their guest.

"Yep, just like anything else imported from the surface world."

"I'm surprised we're even trading with them." Anaphora said. "Who'd buy from us anyway?"

"You'd be surprised and besides, we need to keep our economy strong somehow and avoid any trade deficits." L'Eiron said.

"True." Anaphora declared and raised an eyebrow. "Since when do you care about those things?"

L'Eiron casually shrugged. "I've been reading a lot lately."

"Huh?" Anaphora replied. Picking up the teacup. "Gothalia's influence?"

"Maybe." L'Eiron answered.

A few moments later, Anaphora and L'Eiron heard Gothalia's voice echo along the hall from the foyer. With one final glance at each other, they climbed from their seats and met Gothalia, who regarded the stranger confused, she doubted anyone would want to be near them let alone actually visit them.

Anaphora's eyes lit up at the sight of him while L'Eiron eagerly urged him into the house. Curiously, Anton and Maximus regarded the interaction from the upper level while Gothalia watched as Anaphora beamed in delight at his presence, "I'm so glad you could make it."

The dark-haired man regarded Gothalia with a gentle smile then winked. "I'm glad I made it too." he said, charmingly. Gothalia glanced away, and fought back a smile, she knew would accompany the rising heat in her neck and cheeks. Grateful her skin wouldn't turn red, at such a reaction.

"Gothalia," Anaphora said, gesturing to the stranger. "This is Altair. He's like us. A Deamone from the main Grimory house and Augustin house like L'Eiron." Anton and Maximus regarded the exchange in shock. Then glanced at each other. "Boys!" Anaphora called, not too loudly, she knew with their hearing they would instantly catch her words well enough. Swiftly, Anton and Maximus descended the stairs and entered the foyer.

"It's great to see you again L'Eiron," Altair said, pressing a curled right fist to his heart. His dark eyes gleamed in genuine delight when L'Eiron returned the greeting. Anton and Maximus regarded each other, curious. They'd never known L'Eiron to be friendly with anyone and when he was, they usually never saw them again.

Gothalia regarded both L'Eiron and Anaphora, then questioned, "Why is he here?" she asked, after greeting Altair. Not that she minded, he was easy on the eyes.

"So, you and the boys know that there's others like us in this city. Besides we figured it's about time you all met," Anaphora said, casually before ushering Altair into the house peering at Anton and Maximus where they stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Don't dawdle you two," she uttered.

For the next few hours, Gothalia, Anton and Maximus spent time with Altair while Anaphora and L'Eiron sat around and listened to the conversation. He spoke of his position as a Centurion, his rank, his life growing up and even glossed over their recent mission. Not that L'Eiron and Anaphora didn't know what he was talking about. The conversation was relaxed and easy until Maximus asked, "How did you end up in the Fire Reserve?"

Anaphora and L'Eiron glanced at each other briefly before they eyed Altair. Gothalia set down her tea, curiosity etched into her brows. Though, keeping her face blank of any expression that would sabotage her kind mask. She didn't know him well enough yet—she was weary. An unintentional protective mechanism she somehow developed years ago. Altair cleared his throat, "My parents came here, and I grew up here."

"But you're like us. Our people were originally from a different continent," Anton said, recalling all the tales L'Eiron told them as kids. "You make it seem like you moving was without any difficulties. Or maybe there really weren't any difficulties?"

"Anton," Anaphora hushed sharply.

"I have a right to know," Anton remarked. "Especially since you and L'Eiron seem to be hiding something."

"What gave you that idea?" L'Eiron tried and glanced at Anaphora who absently touched her mouth deep in thought. Everyone including Gothalia gave him and Anaphora accusing looks but didn't say anything further recognising the uncertainty behind their eyes.

"I guess there's no point in hiding it, if we're all Deamone." Altair began. "I'm a descendent of the Grimory Clan. Something had happened, which I'll explain another time, caused the twelve clans to vote for a military response. Our home was attacked and my parents along with me were taken to this Reserve. They pleaded for my life in return sacrificed theirs." He finished and everyone fell silent. That wasn't something they expected.

"Who raised you then?" Gothalia asked, eventually. Her mind distant, as she thought of Altair as a little boy with no parents. Much like her.

"My aunt who'd they'd taken as a war prisoner much like Anaphora, L'Eiron and all the other Deamone." Everyone stilled. Gothalia, Anton and Maximus regarded both Anaphora and L'Eiron with wide eyes. The expressions that masked their faces were dark and Altair swiftly apologised. "I didn't know it was a secret."

"It doesn't matter," Anaphora uttered with a forced smile, gently squeezing her arm as her eyes clouded in a distant memory. "They were going to find out eventually. You should be heading back. Eloise will start to worry." Altair agreed and climbed to his feet before departing, not after saying goodbye to everyone. L'Eiron and Anaphora guided him out after Gothalia asked about his presence.

When L'Eiron and Anaphora vacated the room, Gothalia watched Anton and Maximus, with a furrow of her brows. Ambiguity carved her features at their scarce exchange. It had been an hour since Altair's departure that Gothalia found herself asking impartially, "Why don't you just take turns?"

For Gothalia returning home had been great, especially after learning that another Deamone existed within the Cetatea. She had discovered his energy before she met him in person as L'Eiron and Anaphora explained. Then just as quick, she learnt it and memorised it along with his scent. After all, she was a Deamone—that part was normal. She was glad to know there were others like her aside from her small family and a part of her wondered how many more like her were around.

His scent she knew she could recognise and pick him out from a crowd much like the others. L'Eiron and Anaphora had always reminded them frequently that they had memorised hers, Maximus and Anton's scents the day they were born. However, that was that exact reason why they never freely stayed out past bedtime, snuck out of the house or even avoided not doing their chores. They always knew and lying had eventually become pointless.

When Gothalia was a teenager, she hated their keen nose and heightened senses until she was really in trouble. L'Eiron had caught her just in time before she plummeted into the magma below their home, after exploring beyond the metal railings that they had warned her many times not to cross. Ever since then, she did what they told her, not because she had to but because of her sudden deep sense of respect for them and she knew that at the end of the day they genuinely cared. It was enough at times, even if she didn't have her parents or her brother. Not enough to completely remove the loneliness but enough to remind her she wasn't entirely alone.

Anton and Maximus regarded her in exaggerated horror. "You can't be serious?" they said in union, then returned to glaring at each other. Gothalia rolled her eyes. She walked from them and to the sitting area adjoining the living room, beside one of the large windows. Ignoring Anton and Maximus as they fought over the VR controller. Picking up the book, she'd pulled from the car, she curled up in one of the chairs in the corner beneath a throw blanket. Focused solely on drowning them out. Not that she had much luck. "What are you talking about Maximus, you're the hog?"

"Me!" Maximus growled, frustrated. "You're the one who's practically on it twenty-four seven. And you call me a hog!"

"Because you are, Max!" Anton wailed, throwing his hands in the air. His angry eyes turned on Gothalia. "Is that right Talia?" Anton demanded. "You've seen it!"

Gothalia peeked over her book. Wishing she could disappear and re-appear far away or into another room like everyone else in this house. "Um?" Gothalia began. "I'm not sure I was reading." Not that she could remember the exact reason for his implication. She was trying to focus on the story world in her hands.

"You so weren't," Anton said, crossing his arms. Gothalia raised a brow and he paused, before considering her words. "Actually, now that I think about it you may have been. You're always reading." Gothalia fought back a smart-ass retort.

Instead said, "Well of course, whether it's the Holo or the VR. You guys hog all the electronics in this house. Anaphora had to go get me my own Holopad since you guys hog the largest one in the house. After all, both L'Eiron and Anaphora were tired of reminding you guys to share." Gothalia said, gesturing to the unused holographic port. She knew was just like any television in the surface world. Just a little more advanced.

Both Anton and Maximus fell quiet. Then after a heavy pause Maximus asked, "Really?" A dubious look crossed his face.

Gothalia pulled her eyes from her book and raised a brow. "What you didn't notice?" she queried, impartially. Disbelief flashed across her eyes.

Then she put her book down and pushed her legs off the sofa then crossed them. Facing them fully. "Think about the last time I played any VR games or watched any shows or movies in this living room." Gothalia probed.

Anton and Maximus quickly threw recent times they falsely remembered but believed to be true. Gothalia fought to groan in frustration. Had they really forgotten? "And there was that time on Valance Day you were playing the newest release of Guacamole. You know that game like wack-a-mole just you get to do other things too."

Gothalia stared at them, mouth partly gape. "Guacomole, came out years ago Anton, and that's a kid's game. Which I was, I'm pretty sure, allowed to play only because you two got a fever that week." Gothalia said, as a matter of fact.

Anton and Maximus shared a look of shock and guilt before Gothalia added, "From where I'm sitting, you're both the hogs."

Silence ensued the room. At that, Gothalia picked up her book and returned to reading.

L'Eiron entered the room and Gothalia briefly glanced up before turning a page. L'Eiron held the door open for Anaphora, as Gothalia noticed, he usually did. Maximus stole the VR controller from Anton's hands while his gaze was on both Anaphora and L'Eiron, who quickly reprimanded Maximus for stealing and their bickering while L'Eiron reminded them of their impending departure and had no time for games.

"In saying that," L'Eiron started. "We need to talk."

"Do we have a choice?" Gothalia asked, not looking up from the book.

"No, you don't." Anaphora declared, pulling the book from her hands.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280 18 45
In the midst of the Apocalypse War between humans and angels, Diletta, a disabled young woman, is on a mission to rescue the archangel she is in love...
966 115 16
(#12 Dystopian Fiction) Fire courses through his veins like an uncontrollable blaze, igniting an unknown force within him. Inigo writhes on the groun...
75 38 11
Verena's goal is to undo everything the decades of war have done, and if that means she has to work together with Atlas - her father and faction's en...
1.2M 4.2K 8
The aliens came here for one thing, and one thing only.... Females. ( This story is only available through inkitt or galatea!!!) (some read events ma...