The Butterfly and the Shadow...

By keishirogane08

The Demon Slayer Corps, a military organization whose sole purpose is to battle demons led by the King of Dem... More

Character Background
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
OC Breathing Style Information
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Hashiras thoughts about the OC and OC's thoughts about the Hashira
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Valentine Chapter (Modern Era AU)
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Optional Chapter (R-18)
Chapter 44

Chapter 16

2.4K 84 12
By keishirogane08

Inei's POV. Imperial Palace, Tokyo.

As soon as the sun began to set, Shinobu and I reconvene along with Captain Ryu about our plan.

Ryu: So you mean the demon inside the Palace is posing as someone?

Inei: The rumor had been going on and on when I even investigated Chiyoda.

Inei: And not to mention, the incoming invasion of the Imperial Palace.

Inei: But this is what bothered me.

Inei: Why go to such lengths? Why go to create more diversions?

Inei: Then I guess I finally got the motive.

Inei: The true motive.

Shinobu: The true motive?

Inei: To spread terror among Japan.

Shinobu: !?

Ryu: !?

Ryu: Spread terror!?

Inei: Think about it, what would happen, if the Emperor dies?

Ryu: !?

Shinobu: The government shall fall.......

Inei: That is if the Emperor was killed. But, if there would be an heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Shinobu: The Princes. Speaking of the princes, I asked about their father, the Emperor's condition and this also bothered me as well.

Shinobu: For the past three days, he was feeling well. They heard that their father claimed to be at the top of his condition.

Ryu: And what does the Emperor had to do with the ongoing problem?

Inei: That......is the problem.

Ryu: What?

Inei: Let me finish my conclusions before we arrive at that point.

Inei: Actually, we also got another problem here.

Inei: About what happens if the Emperor dies.

Inei: The era would change.

Inei: The problem is, if the news of the Emperor being killed spread out............

Inei: The demon will finally begin to assault Chiyoda and then, began to spread terror and feed on the humans living in Tokyo.

Inei: Once the Imperial Capital falls, Japan would enter another era.

Inei: The Era of Terror.

Ryu: !?

Inei: And I fear, that era is soon about to begin.

Inei: Because............

Inei: The Emperor has been kidnapped.

Shinobu: ............

Ryu: WHAT!? BUT HOW!?

Shinobu: This is the problem that Inei said before. The Emperor is suffering under a neurological problem.

Shinobu: And this health problem, is almost constant. It would cause the Emperor to not feel well.

Shinobu: Think about it, the four sons of Emperor Taisho, also had doubts about their father suddenly being in tip-top health.

Shinobu: And then it falls into place, when I asked Prince Hirohito.

Inei: And what did he say?

Shinobu: This is what he said, "My father had began to feel better, when the disappearances occurred. I don't know why but, I feel like something is wrong with father and I can't just put my finger on it."

Ryu: And what does that mean?

Shinobu: ...........

Inei: The Emperor that is with us right now, is nothing but a poser.

Shinobu: In other words, the demon was posing as the Emperor.

Ryu: Impossible!? That would be—

Inei: I mean, I saw it through my eyes.

Inei: I've watched the Emperor's movements within the shadows and when I saw through, my theory was correct and it was backed up by Shinobu's investigation.

Ryu: So you mean, the Emperor is long gone?

Inei: No, the true Emperor Taisho, is still here.

Inei: He was just being held captive.

Inei: The main reason, is to draw someone.........and that someone.......

Inei: Is none other than me.

Ryu: You? Why?

Shinobu: When Inei killed the demon who attempted to end the Emperor's life.

Ryu: That incident..........

Inei: The day where I decided to become a Demon Slayer.

Inei: ............

Inei: *sigh*

Inei: My intuition is telling me, that there is only one place where the demon is holding the Emperor captive.

Shinobu: And where is it?

Inei: I smell the scent of blood, the Emperor's blood, and it lead me.......

Inei: To the Edo Castle.

Ryu: The Edo Castle, if that's the case we should send men to storm the castle and—

Inei: Rescue the Emperor? No. That would be our fatal mistake.

Ryu: Then what should we do?

Inei: I'll go to the Edo Castle, rescue the Emperor, and if possible, cut the source of the demon's cloning powers.

Inei: Shinobu, I want you, to poison the fake Emperor.

Ryu: Poison?

Shinobu: I see, so that's where you're going all along.

Shinobu: Don't worry, Ryu-san. My poison is deadly against demons.

Inei: All right, and here's what you're going to do, Captain Ryu.

Inei: Spread the guards evenly inside the Palace guards and secretly prepare for the invasion.

Inei: Because once Shinobu successfully poisons the fake Emperor.......

Inei: The cover will be blown and the demon, out of fit for anger, will finally launch the invasion.

Inei: And this is where I come in.

Inei: I'll take out the demon.

Inei: And save the Emperor. Because in order to spread terror, there must be a hard evidence to do that.

Inei: The demon probably kept Emperor Taisho alive, as the demon thinks the Emperor will be something of use to them.

Inei: And that is, to kill the Emperor right in front of everyone, and spread terror. That a descendant of Amaterasu, died in the hands of a demon.

Ryu: !?

Shinobu: That is......

Ryu: The Emperors of Japan, they were always believed to be the direct descendants of the God of the Sun, Amaterasu.

Inei: Yes, and all the more reason to safeguard the safety of the Emperor.

Inei: Now, we don't have time for idle chitchat, we got to prepare.

Inei: We'll end this tonight. Shinobu, Captain Ryu, I'll leave the rest to you two.

Ryu: Yeah. Come back safely.

Shinobu: Don't die, Inei.

Inei: Don't worry, it will take more than this, to actually kill me.

And so, we began our plan. We split up, and begin our mission.

I secretly entered the Edo Castle and it was really dark, so I grabbed a torch and lit up the lanterns.

It feels eerily silent, but I knew the demon is here. 

Inei: .............

Inei: .....................

Inei: ...........

Inei: Hmmm.........

Inei: Could it be, at the top floor?

I navigated through the castle and found my way upstairs, checked every room and finally..........

I found someone......who was being restrained, a middle aged man........

There is no mistaking it, it's Emperor Taisho himself.

I entered the Transparent World to confirm it and I was right.

I cut all of his restraints and he's badly wounded.

Inei: Your Highness, are you okay?

He woke up and spoke to me weakly.

Taisho: Yes.......

Taisho: Thank the gods that you finally arrived, Inei.

I immediately let him sit up and let him drink some water from the extra gourd that I'm carrying.

Taisho: *sigh*

Taisho: Thank you.

Inei: How long have you been here, Your Highness?

Taisho: Around three days.

Inei: So our suspicions was correct.

Inei: Someone abducted you here, posed as you and the missing people gradually increased.

Taisho: In the past three days, there were still at least 9 people being held captive here as well.

Taisho: Until the demon ate them.

Inei: ............

Inei: Emperor Taisho, I'm gonna get you out of here. I'm going to bring you to—

I was interrupted when we heard the sound of gunfire and sound of people screaming for help.

Inei: Looks like Shinobu finally exposed the fake Emperor.

When the Emperor was in better shape and recovered for a few minutes, we made our way out from the Edo Castle and I brought him safely to one of the secret chambers for the Emperor to hide, while avoiding the ongoing battle between the soldiers and the demons.

Taisho: Go, your friend and the Imperial Guards need your help.

Inei: Yeah.

Taisho: Thank you, for saving my life once again.

Inei: I am the one who is thankful to you.

I smiled as I left the chamber and joined the battle to defend the Imperial Palace.

A demon is about to kill Captain Ryu but I arrived in the nick of time.

Inei: Hinokami Kagura.

Inei: Enbu! (Dance!)

With a downward slash, I decapitated the demon with ease as it's body turned to ash.

Ryu: Inei!?

Inei: Hold the line, I need to go help my fellow Demon Slayer inside the Palace.

I rushed inside the palace and it was a total wreck, and I arrive with Shinobu already in her Demon Slayer uniform and her haori, with her Nichirin Blade in drawn........

And besides her, a demon........who is wearing the Emperor's clothes, with dark skin, red eyes, and horns coming out from his head........

Inei: I believe that is the demon who caused all of this.

Shinobu: Inei!

I faced the demon and saw that Shinobu's poison is working on the demon.

Inei: The Emperor is safe, don't worry.

Shinobu: Our suspicions were right all along.

Inei: Yeah. But it doesn't matter.

Inei: Now that the demon exposed itself.......

The demon lets out an ear deafening roar which put us up on out guard.

Shinobu: What in the world.......?

Inei: Tch......I knew this wouldn't be so easy.

The demon summoned clones in front of him..........a horde of clones.

Inei: Ugh, great. What an annoying Blood Demon Art........

Shinobu: We only got one objective here but with these clones in the way.

I drew my Nichirin Crimson Blades, my tachi and wakizashi.

Inei: Then we'll just massacre them all.

Inei: Shadow Breathing...........

Inei: Ninth Form..........

With me vanishing quickly from my spot and appearing in front of the true demon, I created the Ninth Form of the Shadow Breathing.

Inei: Shadowblade Massacre.

The demon clones disintegrated as the demon roared once more and attacked me.

I backed down and this time, with Shinobu, we rush at the demon to try and take it down.

I noticed that the demon is fighting Shinobu's poison.

Inei: Shinobu, use some stronger poison, increase the dosage if possible. This demon is developing a resistance to the poison.

She sheathes her swords and it seems like she's going to do it.

Inei: Okay.......

Shinobu: The demon is fast and his attacks are dangerous.

Inei: Then we got to end this quickly.

Shinobu: You got any plans on beheading the demon?

Inei: The poison will be the backup plan.

Inei: Because he just recasted that annoying blood demon art.

Summoning another horde of clones, I just eliminated the clones again.

But the demon became fierce started attacking me with his extended and razor sharp claws.

I was barely able to dodge it and the range is so wide.

Shinobu: Now, how are we going to get close to the demon?

Inei: .............

Shinobu: ...........

Inei: Shinobu, use me as a decoy.

Shinobu: What?

Inei: The demon is probably only fixated on me.

Inei: It didn't bother to attack you when I arrived.

Inei: I'll gather it's attention, while you sneak ahead, and poison the demon.

Shinobu: Got it.

I engage the demon into a one-on-one fight, as I wanted to give Shinobu an opportunity to strike.

I can just go for the kill immediately, but that would be reckless as I can't even close the distance yet due to the demon's claws.

Inei: We need to weaken the demon first.

Inei: Wait.........

Inei: I see..........

Inei: Looks like I got to use "form" to subdue this demon.

Demon: ...........

I get on to my stance as Shinobu somehow had the feeling that this is going to be our decisive strike.

Inei: ...............

Inei: Perfect Concentration...........

Inei: Shadow Breathing..........

Inei: Tenth Form..........

When the shadows reached my Nichirin Blade.......

I vanished along with the shadows, and with a series of fast and precise slashes.......

I reappeared once more, but the demon's limbs, arms and legs, all decapitated.

Inei: Consuming Phantom.

Demon: ........!?

The thing here is, the demon's regenerative abilities was slowed down due to my Crimson Nichirin Blade.

Inei: Shinobu, finish this.

I grabbed the demon by the neck and threw them in the air.

And with me disappearing from the shadows once more.........

Shinobu appeared and was already waiting for this moment.

Shinobu: Insect Breathing - Dance of the Bee Sting: True Flutter.

With her speed, she dashed straight at the demon and stabbed the demon with her Nichirin Blade and injected the poison to the demon.

Once she did, the poison began to spread throughout the demon's body........

The body drops into the ground as I went near to it and asked the demon.

I

nei: Any last words before your trip to the Sanzu River?

Demon: ..............

Yoshinobu: My name is Tokugawa Yoshinobu, Tokugawa Shogunate's 15th Shogun.

Inei: !?

Inei: What!? The Era of the Shogunate is long over.

Yoshinobu: Yes, I am aware of that.

Yoshinobu: The Meiji Restoration, the restore of the Imperial Rule to the Emperor..........

Yoshinobu: I turned into a demon all because I didn't want to die.

Inei: ..........

Yoshinobu: I wanted to be immortal, to rule Japan forever, I wanted the Shogunate to be eternal...........

Inei: ............

Inei: All because of that?

Inei: The Meiji Era is also long gone.......

Inei: Japan is currently under the Taisho Era.........

Inei: ..............

Inei: The Shogunate is now just a part of history now.

Yoshinobu: I see.........

Yoshinobu: I am truly the last Shogun.........

Yoshinobu: Tell me, young samurai.......

Yoshinobu: Is Japan already at peace?

Inei: Yes and no.

Inei: The people are happy.

Inei: But the fear inflicted by the demons are still here and this is what we're here for. To eradicate the demons and protect humanity from them.

Yoshinobu: I see........

Yoshinobu: What's your name?

Inei: Inei.......

Yoshinobu: Inei, huh? Shadows..........

Yoshinobu: You've been living in the shadows for so long, huh?

Yoshinobu: Thank you, young man, for releasing me from my suffering. Though my destination is at hell due to my sins of killing people as a human and as a demon.........

Inei: Rest in peace, Tokugawa Yoshinobu. The Tokugawa Clan, will definitely leave their mark in the History of Japan.

Inei: Shadow Breathing - Eighth Form.

And with a serene and solemn slash, I decapitated the demon's head, as his body turned into dust.

Inei: It's over.

Shinobu comes to my side.

Shinobu: Looks like this is a mission accomplished?

Inei: Yeah.

We went outside of the Palace to check what is going on and the fighting was over.

Inei: And it looks like the battle is over as well.

And so, we spent the rest of the night tending to the injured.

In the next three days, we helped in the rebuilding of the Palace but.....we can't stay for long because we know that we need to report back to Kagaya-sama.

After packing our things and bidding farewell to everyone in the Palace, we went on our way home.

While on our way, Kage flies over and delivered a shocking message. He perched to my shoulder and drlivered the said message.

Kage: Kyojurou Rengoku is dead. He died by the hands of the Upper Moon Three.

Shinobu: !?

Inei: !?

Inei: Damn it.....

Inei: What about Tanjiro and the others!?

Kage: They're both fine.

Inei: ............

Inei: Damn it......if I just went with them on the Infinity Train as well.......

I just clenched my fists......

Inei: I could've.......

Shinobu suddenly taps my left cheek to reel me back.

Shinobu: Inei, snap out of it. It's not your fault.

Shinobu: We couldn't have done anything in our situation......

Inei: ............

Inei: Yeah, you're right.

Inei: *sigh*

Inei: I guess, Kyojurou-san was also ready to face death, huh?

Inei: I guess I'd better ask Tanjiro and the others once they get back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151 4 12
A world filled with demons and demon slayers. Demon Slayer Corps, an organization where their sole purpose is to eradicate the leader or king of demo...
38.2K 1.6K 47
Shoto Todoroki was fighting along with his father when he was pushed out of the way of an attack, which lead him to fall into a portal to the world o...
400K 8K 32
The Demon Corps always fight the demons. The Pillars are the most powerful swordsmen, nine in total, but by orders of Oyakata-sama a new Pillar is as...
39.4K 689 40
In this story, Tanjiro wasn't able to become a human after the fight against muzan and becomes the new king of demons. Now in the modern era, tanjiro...