Fated Rivals

By StarFusion77

Elijah(Eli) has always been competing with Grayson(Gray) for as long as he could remember. Whether it was gra... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Fated Rivals Info Page
Character Descriptions
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 21

5.7K 211 92
By StarFusion77

Elijah's POV

*BRIIIIING*

"Okay class, that's it for today don't forget to do the assignment for this week. No late work will be accepted. I'm looking at you Tod," the teacher says, packing up her own stuff. Finally, school is over. At least this teacher likes to leave as fast as we do, because the gang and I have big plans for Atlantis's birthday today. I grab my stuff and race out the door, only to run into someone standing near it.

"Oof! Why are you- Eris?" I say, jumping back in shock, "W-what are doing here?"

"I wanted to come talk to you, but I guess casually bumping into you didn't work out well," she says, giggling. "How have you been? It feels like forever since we've actually talked to each other."

Oh goddess. Okay, so, I haven't really talked to Eris ever since the Halloween fiasco. I mean technically, I've answered a few volleyball questions during practice. But once practice is over, I usually rush to the locker room. I'm just too embarrassed to face her after making out with Gray right in front her. Shattering any chance of possibly asking her out. Like, what idiot kisses someone else in front of their crush? Me apparently.

"Oh, um, I thought that you wouldn't really want to talk to me after what happened at the party," I say, fiddling with the loose string on my shirt.

"Why would you think that? It's not your fault that those fireworks went off randomly."

"Wait, what?"

"The fireworks. Don't you remember when the fireworks show malfunctioned, and caused the explosion that alerted all of the adults."

"Oh, right." I forgot that Gray had to tell everyone that the explosion was caused by a "malfunction" from one of Jaden's workers. I still don't fully understand why we had to lie, but I guess they didn't want to freak anyone out with the knowledge that they nearly got attacked by rogues. "I meant what happened near the end of spin the bottle."

"Oh, I wasn't there for the end round. I was feeling those Jell-O shots come back up, so I had to leave before your spin. Why, what happened?

"Oh, nothing. I punched some assholes who were being too handsy during their turn." Thank goddess for the Jell-O shots. Maybe my chance hasn't been obliterated yet!

"Oh, I don't mind fighting if it's for a good reason. Anyways, I was wondering, since you don't have practice today, if you wanted to hang out? It'll be nice to talk about stuff other than volley ball again," she says tucking a piece hair behind her ear.

Wait. Did I just get asked out? By Eris? Here? Now? In this reality?! OH, MY GODDESS! Okay, okay calm down. Gotta breath. Gotta act natural. Can't scare her off. Wait. Shit! It's Atlantis's birthday today, I can't just ditch her for a maybe date. Or maybe I could... Nah, it's not worth the possible ass kicking. Plus, I'd just be a shitty friend for doing it. *Sigh* The things I do for friendship.

Sobbing internally, I take a deep breath, preparing for what I have to say next. "I'm sorry Eris, but it's my best friend's birthday is today and I already made plans to spend the day with her."

"I understand. I wouldn't want to get in between you and your friends. But hey, maybe next time?" she says, with a shrug.

"Yes. Definitely. You can text me whenever your available again, and I'll be there. Just not today," I say giving her a thumbs up. Oh goddess, what am I saying?

This is so sad to watch, like, I am dying of cringe in here

Join the club asshole

"Cool. Later Eli," Eris says, waving goodbye as she leaves. Ugh, why must the world be so cruel. Why does my luck have to be so back and forth? Whatever, time to go meet up with Atlantis.

I start walking the opposite way that Eris went, heading deeper into school. A few twists and turns later I finally spot Atlantis at her locker. Now what kind of friend would I be if I didn't jump start her birthday extravaganza with a little scare? Sneaking up behind her, I slowly take in a deep breath for the loudest happy birthday ever. Just as I'm about to shout she quickly turns around, looking me dead in the eyes.

"Don't even think about it," she says with a smirk.

"Dammit," I say puffing out the gulp of air. "You never let me have any fun."

"Hey I'm just saving you from embarrassing the both of us; and saving me ear drums."

"Whatever, I already feel like the biggest fool today. No thanks to you."

"Gee, such nice words on my birthday. And what, pray tell, did I do to make such a mockery of you today?"

"You need to stop hanging out at Beth's rehearsals. I think the thespians' dramatic nature is rubbing off on you," I say rolling my eyes. "But if you must know, I just turned down a possible date with Eris."

"A possible date?"

"It's only a possible because she didn't say the word date. She said that she wanted to hang out, so there is a possibility."

"Sure..."

"Whatever! Let me have this, and sulk in peace."

"Booo, no pouting on my birthday. Besides dude, at least this gives you the chance to ask her out next time. Silver lining and all that," Atlantis says, giving me a light punch on the shoulder.

*Sigh* "Your right. At least I know that she has an interest in hanging out with me outside of school. So, there's still hope. Besides I'm going to the state championships in three days so it's probably best to focus on that for now."

"You better kick some ass out there, or I'm kicking yours," she says with a dark chuckle.

"Where would I be without your light-hearted encouragement. Anyways, we better head towards senior parking before Beth and Milo wolf-run to your place for dibs on the cake."

"Haha, okay let's-" Atlantis freezes, taking a few sniffs of the air. "Do you smell that?"

"If you're about to say that I smell like shit, then I will kick you."

"No idiot, it smells like," she takes another whiff, wondering down the almost empty hall. "Like someone made the best batch of s'mores you'll ever taste in your whole life. It's been driving me crazy all day."

"I not picking up what your sniffing," I say, looking at her confused.

Wow, you are an idiot

What, why?

Isn't it obvious? She's smelling the scent of her-

"MATE." Is the last word Atlantis says, before bolting down the hallway. I practically have to jog to keep up with her as she speeds through a series of twist and turns, like an elite tracker. After making a sharp left, I crash into her back.

"What the heck dude?" I say, rubbing my squished nose. I walk around her to see that she's staring down at someone a few feet in front of us. That person being none other the Conner Farrell, aka Grayson's younger brother. Who just so happens to be talking to said older brother, before they both turn towards us with confused looks. Well, shit. This day just keeps getting better, huh.

"Oh, h-hi Eli. Who's your friend?" Conner says, not taking his eyes off of Atlantis.

Well let's try to ease into this, I guess. "Okay, so, this might be a little weird but-" I start.

"You're my soulmate," Atlantis says.

"Or just blurt it all out at once. That works too," I sigh.

"Excuse me?" Conner says, a blush rapidly spreading across his face. If I wasn't worried about the fight that will probably break out soon, I would burst out laughing at Gray's shocked expression right now.

"Conner, right? My name is Atlantis, and I'm your soulmate. Since you're a bit younger than me you probably can't sense it now, but that's okay. I'll wait until your eighteen, before I expect any acceptance or rejection from you," she says, taking Conner's hands into hers. I think Conner is trying to say something, but all he does is gap at her like a dying fish. Let's hope that those nerves aren't so bad in two years' time.

Snapping out of his shocked state, Grayson stands in between the two of them with a growl. "Whatever sick prank this is, it ends now. Stay away from my brother, if you know what's good for you."

"I would never joke about something like this, and whether you like it or not me and Conner are soulmates. The drama is between you and Eli has nothing to do with us, so there's no need to get all defensive," Atlantis growls out.

"Oh, there's plenty to be defensive about. I don't really know you. Even if our fathers are friends. My brother is only sixteen, and I can't be so certain that you won't do anything to him."

"I already said that I'm going to wait until he's also eighteen, dumbass. Besides, unlike you, I wouldn't jump people when their vulnerable."

"Eli is my soulmate, not yours, so of course you wouldn't be affected that much at the time."

"Or maybe the lack of self-control that alphas share, decided to kick in."

"Excuse me!"

Oh boy. As much as would love to see Gray get his ass kicked, I don't want Atlantis to scare off her soulmate on the same day she found him. Poor dude already looks torn between who to worry about behind Gray. Guess I have to use my charm and amazing social skills to cool down this situation. I step in between the fighting pair and grab Gray's face, yanking it down so he's looking at me.

"Hey! Look at me. Not her. Me."

"But-"

"Nope. No buts. If you're going to get mad at someone then be mad at me. Or have you grown soft on me?" I say with a smirk. That gets his attention. Now I need to get him away from these two. "Honestly, dragging our drama into their relationship, and trying to settle it that way is such a chicken move. A true leader would just go and settle things with the person they actually have a problem with. Alone."

With a glare, he lets out a huff of air. "Fine, let's settle things," he says. Then, for some reason, he throws me over his shoulder and starts walking away from them.

What the hell? Fine, whatever. I'll just kick his ass when we're out of Conner's sight. I gesture to Atlantis that I'm okay and for her to focus on her new mate. Despite looking worried, she gives me a nod and focuses back on Conner. Hopefully, they'll be able to talk in peace without brother-dearest breathing down their necks. Unfortunately, that means I now have to deal with this grumpy alpha. How wonderful.

Gray carries me, much to my dismay, outside and all the way to a more remote location on school. Which isn't hard to find since most people have already left this hell hole. He stands me on the ground and takes a step back, crossing his arms.

"Okay then Elijah, how exactly do you plan on settling this? Because you and I both know that we can't break the bond yet. Unless it's miraculously your birthday too," he says.

"As happy as that would make the both of us, no it isn't. I just said all of that so I could get you away from them," I say with a shrug.

"Well, if you have nothing important to talk about, I'm going back to Conner," he says, starting to walk back inside.

"Slow your role there for a second," I say jumping in front of him. "Look I know that you don't like me, but don't be an ass to Atlantis just because I'm friends with her. She's an amazing delta who would never take advantage of Conner. She might seem rough around the edges, but she's a big softie towards the people she cares about. Not to mention she's the fiercest warrior in this pack, so Conner will always be protected."

"Eli, get out of my way."

"No can do. Not until you at least calm down, and be reasonable."

"I am calm."

"You see, calm people usually don't growl out that they're calm."

"Eli."

"Gray."

I have an idea

This better be good, I'm kind of starring down an angry wolf right now

You can calm him down with your scent... and a hug

Would rather die

Don't be so dramatic. You've already locked lips with him. One hug won't kill you

It might, you never know

Just do it dumbass!

Fine!

Swallowing what little pride I have, I step closer to Gray, and wrap my arms around his torso, pulling him into a tight hug. I can feel him tense up, but as I start to release a calming scent he begins to relax. The things I do for friendship, I swear.

"What are you doing?" Gray asks.

"My wolf said that this would help you calm down. So, hurry up and take a chill pill."

"I feel more confused and unnerved then calm."

"Well, I'm not letting go until your calm, so I hope you don't have any plans today."

Gray lets out a deep chuckle, before wrapping his arms around me. Wow, okay. Did not expect any reciprocation, but we're in this now so there's no backing out. Something I did not think about in my rash plan of action was how long this hug could last. Because now I'm noticing just how tall he is, and how my chin can barely rest on his shoulder. Or how I can feel how fast his heart is beating. His own scent of pine and lemon becoming more soothing as his relaxes. His muscular arms wrapping me even tighter into his warmth, chasing away the chilly autumn air. Okay I have to say something before I get lost in this hug.

"You better not fall asleep; I can't carry your heavy ass over my shoulder."

I can feel another laugh rumble through him at my comment, as he rests his nose against the scent gland at my neck. "That's a pretty tempting offer since I don't feel like walking to my car right now." I shiver at the warm from his breath as he talks. Fucking bastard knows what he's doing, but I refuse to give into it. Even if my body betrays me.

"Well then I guess we're staying here because I refuse."

"Fine with me."

"You're insufferable."

"And yet you're putting up with me now."

"Whatever I'm over this."

Atlantis should have had enough time to talk by now. Besides if we stay like this any longer... I don't even want to continue that train of thought. I give a slight shove and step out of Gray's embrace and he straightens back up, shaking himself out of a slight daze.

"Did you scent me?" Gray says with a slight laugh as he smells his jacket.

"Only because I knew you were doing the same thing. I can still smell the scent of fresh pine on me," I say with a huff.

"Better than smelling like a strawberry patch."

"Shut up, knothead." I can already feel a blush creep across my face, so I decide to distract myself by texting Atlantis. That is, until I notice that I already have some unread texts from her.

>Things r good between me and Conner now.

>How's it going for u?

>I'm going to guess that you guys are in a heated argument right now.

>I'm giving Conner a ride home and taking the two cake demons we call friends back to my place.

>Have fun finding a ride 😉

I hate her. So much. But I guess I have to reply so she knows that I'm alive.

U r an asshole😡🖕🏼<

See u in a little bit bitch🎉<

I sigh looking over at Gray, who I guess is reading a text from Conner about the news. Welp, if I got ditched because of this jerk then I deserve some compensation.

"I'm guessing that you're reading a text from Conner about how he ditched you," I say.

"Yep," he says with a sigh, putting his phone back in his pocket.

"Well, since I no longer have a ride, and you have a car, I feel like it's only right that you give me a ride home."

"Oh, do you now? Doesn't this school have buses?"

As if on cue, the school buses start driving out of their exit. I swear my life could be a comedy. "No longer an option," I say, holding back a laugh. Gray let's out a sharp laugh, shaking his head before walking towards senior parking. I guess that's his way of agreeing to my demands.

Okay not to sound envious, but Gray has a sick car. It's a black 2020 Chevrolet Corvette with a gold and black interior; this thing basically screams "I have money". After we both climb inside, he turns on the engine and the beast practically roars to life. I can't help but look around it in awe, before catching Gray smiling at me.

"What?" I say with a laugh.

"Nothing, you just look like a kid in a candy store. It's... actually cute?"

"Whatever," I say, looking out the window so he doesn't see me blushing. "It's a cool car, that's all."

Much to my dismay, Gray laughs as he pulls out of the parking lot. Cranking up some music as we head onto the road. Apparently, we're both old souls, because most of his playlist is made up of hits from the 80's and 90's. Along with some Motown and classic rock; it would be criminal to not nod my head to these classics. And soon enough, we're both belting out Poison by Bell Biv Devoe and September by Earth, Wind, and Fire. I guess Gray doesn't completely suck, or at the very least he has good taste in music.

Just as Livin' on a Prayer is fading out, I start to feel my phone vibrate. Looking at it I'm surprised to see that it's dad. Isn't he at work? I motion to Gray to turn down the music before answering on speaker.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey son, are you alright? Your mom just got off the phone with me saying that Atlantis texted her that you don't have a ride. I can pick you up since I'm on my lunch break," dad says.

"Everything's fine, I'm riding with... a friend and I'll be home soon." Gray raises an eyebrow at me and I make a shush motion.

Unfortunately for me, Gray likes to make things more difficult than they have to be, because he decides that now is the perfect time to chime in. "Hey Mr. Matthews. Don't worry Eli will be home in time for dinner."

"Gray? Is that you? I'm glad you and Eli are finally getting along!" Gray lets out a chuckle while I facepalm, trying to internally talk myself out of strangling him.

"I've even thought of an idea that could help Eli out. You see, he's going to the volleyball state championship with his team soon. And I think it would help him with his nerves if he had an item with your scent on it. Maybe it could be his good-luck charm!" dad says.

I stare at my phone in wide-eyed mortification, while Gray tries to hold in his laughter; probably feeling some second-hand embarrassment too. It is official, my father hates me. What kind of dad even suggests something like this? Goddess, now Gray's gonna think that I'm some kind of scent pervert, or that I would even need something with his scent on it for nerves. As a "good-luck charm". News flash dad, that's what skill and practicing is for. To be good at things.

"Okay dad, I think that's enough suggestions. Talk to you later, bye," I say and quickly hang up. I let out a huge sigh, sinking down into my seat. Maybe I can sink all the way down into the floor so I can escape the awkward tension in this car. Or maybe we'll crash and I don't have to worry about being conscious anymore.

Gray clears his throat, and roll my head to the side to look at him. He gives me a confused and amused glance before focusing back on the road. "Glad to hear from your dad again. I guess he's still hoping that you'll be the next Luna," he says with a chuckle.

"A little too hopeful," I say sitting back up. "I swear if he wasn't mated to my mom, I would let you have him instead."

Gray bursts out laughing at that, and I can't help but laugh along with him. Everything about this situation is ridiculous, but I guess that's why it's so funny. I mean, I never thought that I would be riding home, listening to music, and laughing with Grayson. Yet here we are. Life is funny like that. After a few minutes we both calm down, enjoying the ride with music playing softly in the background. It feels... nice. Until I notice that we're not going in the right direction.

"Um, I think you missed a few turns during your fit of laughter."

"I thought that we could make a pit stop at my place. Can't have you going to states without a 'good luck charm'."

"Dude, you really don't have to do that. I have enough skill and athletic talent to crush the competition," I say, flexing my arm.

"Oh right, I guess you were average at sports," he says with a sly smile.

"Asshole, you know I was the best player on that basketball team."

"Really? Cause I seem to recall me being the best player."

"Yeah, maybe after I left."

"Mmm, I don't know about that."

"Oh please. I could cream you at any sport; then and now," I say narrowing my eyes at him.

"I'll have to take you up on that challenge someday." We pull up in front of the pack house, and before I can INSIST that he doesn't have to do this he's already out of the car. Because when has Gray ever listened to me?

I don't know why your so grumpy about this. I'm happy to have another addition to our nest, since you soiled the last one

I told you to never bring that up again!

Oops. I may have already told Onyx about it

I hate you

I love you too 😊

Stop gossiping to Gray's wolf every time we're near them!

Let me have this! I like talking to him, and he's a great listener. Unlike you

I snap out of my conversation with Spark when I hear the driver side door open. I look over only to have a shirt be thrown at my face, and something small land in my lap.

"Whoops. I meant to hand that to you," Gray says with a laugh as I yank the shirt off my head.

"Yeah, sure you did. I told you, I don't need a good-luck charm," I say with a huff.

"That's why I brought two, your welcome. Your gonna need all the luck you can get."

"Excuse you, I'm amazing. Without your smelly good luck charms."

"Well then think of the shirt as a way of making your dad happy, and the bracelet as a peace offering."

Oh right. He did throw something else at me. I pick up at the thick woven leather bracelet, inspecting the crescent moon charm hanging at the center. It's pretty cool, but I'm not telling him that. "This isn't some special Luna bracelet, is it?"

"No? That's just a part of the design. You know, wolves tend to have an appreciation for the moon. So, they usually create designs of it on stuff."

"Ha ha, I'm keeping it only as a thank you present for having to deal with you today," I say as I put it on. Gray shrugs and starts the car back up, finally driving towards my house. We pull up a few minutes later, and that's when I form a plan. If he's going to embarrass me with "gifts" then I might as well return the favor.

"Wait here," I tell Gray before leaving the car and going inside. Stomping upstairs, I rush over to my nest and look around. What's something I can give him that I won't miss too much? I search until I find a soft scarf near the edge; that'll do. I grab it, hastily scent it, and toss Gray's shirt where it was before going back down stairs. I make a quick stop at the laundry room to grab the original borrowed shirt and head back outside. Gray is waiting outside of his car, looking up as I approach.

"Here. It's only fair that I give you something since you've already sacrificed two shirts to me," I say handing him the scarf.

"Thanks? I'll treasure this for the rest of my days."

"Whatever drama queen, just don't burn it out of spite after our next argument. Speaking of your shirt, here's the other one back. And yes. It's been cleaned, twice, so you can't go sniffing it like a pervert."

"What?"

"Just saying. I don't need you fapping to the scent of my heat like a weirdo."

"Says the guy who already did exactly that when I gave you this shirt."

"I do not recall such things. I cannot be held accountable for what Heat Eli does."

"Well then I guess you should call me over next time; Heat Eli seems like a lot more fun."

"Ha! In your dreams, alpha."

"We'll see, omega. Don't you want a ride to Atlantis's place?"

"Pass. I'd rather not give you her address, just in case your brotherly rage comes back," I say walking back towards my house.

"What no goodbye kiss?"

"You can kiss my ass."

"If you acted a bit cuter, then gladly."

I flip him off as I walk up the porch steps. "Fuck you, Farrell."

"Anytime, Matthews."

I slam the door behind me, and spy out the front window. The smug jerk just laughs to himself as he gets in his car, and drives off. I can't help but scoff at how ridiculous he is. I swear one minute he wants nothing to do with me, and then the next he's practically flirting. Like, pick a lane knothead! He probably still hasn't found anybody because he sucks at making up his mind. Whatever, I can't get hung up on his antics, I have to grab Atlantis's gift and run to the party. Hopefully there's still some cake left for the fashionably late guest.

**While writing this I realized that I may have misspelt Conner's name in previous chapters, so just know that it's supposed to be Conner not Connor.😅 Anyways, this chapter ended up being longer than I thought but that's the price to pay for lots of sarcastic banter. Now it's back to the writing board to plan out what happens next. Stay tuned!👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 315 31
I'm not sure if this is going to be a stand alone story or a series of different stories just yet. Luca and Leif have only ever had each other. Both...
54.1K 1.5K 29
Kai Ocean: 16 year old boy who's parents died when he was 11 due to their pack. An omega, which means he is seen as nothing but a slave. Gay and his...
70.2K 3.2K 134
[[MATURE CONTENT]] Pack, family, mate. Loyalty, respect, honor. These are the words that form the foundation of the wolf society. At six years old, E...
171K 6.6K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...