The Fall of Alexander the Gre...

By patyeah

Blythe knows how charming she can be and she uses that to her advantage. When she heard that a hot new neighb... More

The Monteverde Series
PUBLISHED
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Finale
Epilogue

9

209K 4.8K 242
By patyeah

Chapter Nine

"You're back..." Alexander said when he held the elevator button for me. He was inside, looking at me with startled eyes, like he didn't expect me to be back. I nodded slowly and stepped inside, feeling a little bit fuzzy about seeing him again.

The elevator engine thrummed.

"You never told me I looked beautiful," pukaw ko kay Alexander.

"What?" takang tanong niya. "What do you mean?"

"That night three weeks ago when I was almost raped."

"You were taken advantage of," he said through gritted teeth. "And that's what you want to talk about? Seryoso ka ba?" His voice does not hold any anger, just plain disbelief. "Blythe..." he breathed. "You look absolutely stunning that night. When I saw you, I was at loss for words, because I'm not certain the word beautiful would be able to justify the way you looked. I can't believe we are having this discussion now."

"Okay," I said, flushed.

"Okay."

After that traumatizing experience, I had Amanda fetch me the next morning. She drove us back to our family manor in Laguna to relax and loosen up. My sister was fuming when I told her what happened. She called our family lawyer to file a case. Last week, though, Kerth appeared on the headlines... not for the murder attempt, but for the drug use. He was reportedly put to a rehab in Houston, Texas where his mother lived. I wasn't even aware that he has left the country while I suffered emotionally from what he did.

Roselynne called me right after I got home that day. She was apologizing over and over, as if it was her fault she was related to someone like him. I told her she has nothing to worry about and that I was now safe. She said she knew how tough of a woman I am, but she still worries that I won't be able to recover quickly.

I just needed time off is what I said.

So, when I was back in the manor, I cut all communication from everyone, except Terry, who kept my businesses going. The first few nights I was there, the images haunted me even in my sleep. Amanda would sleep next to me some nights until it got better. When I told her I wanted to go back to the city, I could tell she was deeply concerned and wanted me to stay with her longer. But I knew she understood that I have businesses that need managing, staff that looks up to me for supervision, and a life left to live.

She finally relented and let me go.

The elevator seemed to move agonizingly slow. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on something else other than the racing of my own pulse. Alexander doesn't seem to mind the proximity of our bodies. But I do.

"Hindi pa ako nakakapagpasalamat." I was the one who broke the silence.

"It's all right." Humalukipkip siya. "Don't worry about it."

"I want to show you how grateful I am..."

His eyes flew sideways, landing on my face, waiting, questioning. "How?"
I bit my lip. My heart is beating so loud against my chest, deafening me, drowning away all my rationale. I didn't give the courage enough time to abandon me. I tiptoed, looped my arms around Alexander's neck, and pulled him closer to me. He placed his hands on my waist, not doing anything, yet I could feel a strange heat coursing through my veins.

My lips enveloped his.

It felt good. Beyond that, even.

I kissed harder, deeper, as I ran my fingers through the strands of his thick hair.

He broke free and I was panting as I stared.

"I don't think..." He sucked in some air. "This is right..."

I shook my head. "I don't think this is wrong."

"Blythe... You were almost raped a few -"

Namutla ako. "Does that make me any less of a woman? Is that the reason you don't want to... to kiss me back? Because someone has already..." My voice broke off. I swallowed. I was nodding, sarcastic, hurt, embarrassed. "Okay. I understand..."

"No, goodness, Blythe. That's not it!"

The elevator opened.

"Thanks anyway. Good night." I walked out briskly, but he pulled me back. His gaze was stone-cold, his eyes steely grey, his grip like iron.

"Ayaw kong gawin 'yon kasi baka nabibigla ka lang. A lot has happened that night, and that is too much to absorb. I don't want you thinking I'm taking advantage of the situation. I will never do that to you. I know you think I'm mean and boring and cold-hearted, but I'm nothing like that sorry excuse of a man..."

"I know..." I whispered. I don't know what got to me. Maybe it's because I haven't seen him in a while, and I have grown accustomed to his presence. Or maybe because he is annoying in such an endearing way. "I'm going inside," I stated flatly as I motioned to my unit door.

"Blythe." His voice was rough.

"Good night."

I walked away with my shoulders sagging, wondering if I gave something away when I initiated the kiss. Before I could even open my door, I felt his hand on my arm again.

"I'm sleepy. There was traffic on the way here and I just want to rest."
"Really?" He twisted me.

"Yeah," bulong ko.

"It's just nine in the evening." He looked at my lips.

"So?"

"So, it's still too early." His eyes darted back up.

"I'm not really a night owl anymore."
"Lie." His head dipped down and our lips met halfway.

"Legs on my waist, Blythe." His voice reverberated inside my head and I just found myself obeying him. He lifted me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist. My back was on the wall. I was kissing him fervently because as much as I hated to admit it, I missed his kiss terribly.

"Por de amor de Dios! Susmiyo!" A shriek cut us off. I abruptly pushed Alexander's body away and he set me down on the floor. I bit my lip to suppress a grin because he had lipstick smudges all over his lips. The old woman who lived on the unit in front of mine was gaping at us, her hawk-like eyes shooting us daggers.

"Kasalanan niya 'to." Tinuro ko si Alexander.

"Well, she wanted it." Tinuro niya naman ako.

"Mga makasalanang bata kayo!" Pumasok siya sa unit at pabagsak na isinara ang pinto at naiiwan akong tumatawa sa labas. Hindi rin naitago ni Alexander ang isang ngiti. Tinalikuran ko siya at akmang bubuksan ang pinto nang pihitin niya na naman ako para halikan. I closed my eyes and let him. 'Yung mga kamay ko ay gumapang paakyat sa ulo niya at hinila ang buhok niya. He groaned and I bit back a moan. He kissed me again, more needy this time and I just heard the twist of my doorknob.

We tumbled inside my dark condo and he just kicked the door close. He scooped me up and carried me to my bedroom. He set me down on the bed and I lay there, laughing.

"Alexander the Great is becoming too naughty, huh?" I teased and he just raised an eyebrow. I crawled to him and kissed him again. God, it felt so unbelievably good. It felt different than Kerth's forced kiss. This was nothing like it. This was gentleness and respect combined. His hands traveled to the length of my spine.

I pulled myself free and smiled wickedly. "I'm going to take a bath. When I finish, I hope you have already escorted yourself outside." I took the towel hanging near my personal bathroom and waved at him before chuckling.

"You're going to leave me hanging?" His mouth parted. "With an awkward boner?"

I stepped inside the bathroom, chuckling. "Oh, I'm dead serious."

When I went out, I was already dressed in my purple sleepwear. Nagulat ako nang makita kong nakasabit ang mga damit ni Alexander sa upuan ko. Nakadapa naman siya sa kama wearing only his boxers. I quickly went over and slapped his arm. His eyes shot open and he gave me a look of irritation.

"Can't you see that I was sleeping?"

"Sleeping mo ang mukha mo! Sleep inside your unit!"

"I want to stay."

"I want a billion dollars. See? We don't always get what we want."

"Blythe, you sleep in my unit, too."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Just don't invade my personal space. Sa couch ka."

"You've slept on my bed." Dumapa siya lalo sa kama.

"Okay," I sighed. I joined him in bed and hugged my pillow close to my chest. Moments later, I felt the bed shift and then he wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm spooning you," he declared.

"As long as you don't fork me, we're good."

"Language, Blythe."

I didn't protest anymore. I just closed my eyes.

He dropped a kiss at the back of my neck.

I melted.

"Goodnight, love. I hope you grow some manners overnight." I nudged him.

"Asshole."

"I'm a good asshole."

I smiled, though he can't see, because I do know that he really is.

A good asshole. It does have a nice ring to it.

***

The next morning, Alexander was gone. However, when I headed to the kitchen, I found out that he ordered me breakfast from one of my favorite restaurants. I smiled.

Sweet naman pala ang mokong kapag walang sumpong.

Nang buksan ko ang phone ko ay nag-iwan siya ng mensahe.

Terry must have terrybly missed you.

Napangiwi ako. Ganito ba magbiro ang mga mayayamang negosyante na walang sense of humor? Aba'y mas kakila-kilabot pa ang birong ito kaysa sa sunog na omelette na niluto niya noon. Nagtipa ako agad ng reply.

Ang corny mo. Tigilan mo 'yan.

The phone beeped. Okay wow.

Napanganga ako. Pagkatapos ay napabunghalit ako ng tawa. I'm pretty sure that's not how kids say that expression. It should be e 'di wow if you want to be sarcastic. Hindi ko ma-imagine ang isang sikat at kilalang businessman na nirerespeto ng maraming tao at tinatangkilik ng mga empleyado niya ay magsasabi ng ganoong ekspresyon. Hindi na siya muling sumagot kaya naman nagprepara na ako para pumasok.

Terry had briefed me about a shoot today for a start-up toothpaste brand with its ambassador. Someone named Jared Gutierrez. When I reached the office, he was already there, sitting on the sofa inside the studio. He was friendly and he smiled a lot, probably because that was his best asset.

"Thank you, Blythe. You made it so easy to work with you," sabi niya.

"No worries. Photogenic ka naman so wala naman tayong naging problema," biro ko.

"I don't think that's it. Nakita ko 'yung mga shots, and you were really good, playing with the lighting, knowing which pose would suit me and all that. Salamat uli."

I shrugged and smiled. "Just doing my job."

"Would you mind if..." he trailed off and scratched the back of his head. "I ask you out? Dinner tonight? I know a good restaurant around the corner."

"Uhm..." I shifted. Terry was watching me. She knows I rarely let down dates especially with cute guys like Jared. "I have a pet..." I said stupidly.

"Uhuh?"

"And I have to go home early to feed her. My househelp took the day off, so..."

"I see." He smiled. "It's okay. What's the breed of your dog, by the way?"

"She's a... a maltepoo."

"How adorable! I have a maltepoo, too! What did you name her?"

"Vienna," I replied quickly, struggling to keep up with the lies.

"Oh, like the Austrian capital!" he grinned.

"No." I bit my lip. "Like the sausage."

Terry's laugh resonated in all four corners of the studio. I looked at her, glaring, and she flashed me a peace sign before telling the other staff to clean up the studio. Jared balanced on his toes while his hands were inside his pockets.

"I guess I have to go now. Vienna's waiting for me. Thanks for the offer, though." I was fidgeting with my fingers while I spoke.

"No worries. Maybe next time?"
"Yeah, yeah sure."

He waved at us and thanked my staff before he finally walked out. When he was out of earshot, Terry glanced at me, still grinning. "Like the sausage talaga, Ms. Blythe?"

"Heh! Nang-aasar ka pa. Sige na at uuwi na ako sa aso ko."

"Aso ba talaga?" her eyes were narrowed.

"Terry!"

"Joke lang. Ingat ka and drive safe, madam."

Mabilis akong nagdrive pauwi. Naligo ako agad pagkarating at nagpalit ng komportableng damit. I took my laptop to binge-watch my favorite Netflix series and headed to my room. While I was watching, I kept glancing at my phone and re-opening Alexander's last message. I don't know why, but I was expecting him to send me a text. Or a chat. Anything.

I have just finished the first episode when I heard a knock on the door.

I almost tripped making my way to the living room area because I was in such a hurry. I took a look at the peephole and saw that Alexander was standing outside in his business suit, looking impatient as he knocked for the second time.

I opened the door and plastered an annoyed look.
His lips curved upwards when he saw me.

"I guess this is the part where I say I went home early from work so I can see you."

I rolled my eyes. "'Wag akong lokohin mo! Alam ko na ang ganyang strategy, hunghang."

His expression told me that he was amused. "Bummer. I thought you'd fall for that."

I snorted. "Just shut up and kiss me already."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 85 22
Operation Series # 2 Every person has a mission to this world and every person has the capability to give their last wish to the people they will le...
2.8M 123K 64
This is a sequel from "Left in the Dark" Series #5 of the Savage beast Series To shine like the sun, you need to burn like the sun. Die on sunset and...
110K 6.2K 20
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
6.4M 125K 44
Zade does not believe that first love never dies. For him, no matter how fervent love is, if you don't nurture it, you'll eventually fall out of it...