The Wrong Brother

By TeaInTheGarden02

Alex Harper loves Dylan West ever since she can remember. Too bad he never noticed her. Not even with the cou... More

New Book, Reviewed!
Prologue - He's just so incredibly perfect
Chapter 1 - Like science camp?
Chapter 2 - I've already done that
Chapter 3 - You should get a life
Chapter 5 - I'm not like most girls
Chapter 6 - Who says you have to fit in?
Chapter 7 - What I felt instead, was nothing
Chapter 8 - We definitely are
Chapter 9 - You should take a break
Chapter 10 - I want you now
Chapter 11 - I don't open up to anyone
Chapter 12 - Too good to be true, uhn?
Chapter 13 - When did this happen?
Chapter 14 - She's not Alex (Part I)
Chapter 15 - She's not Alex (Part II)
Chapter 16 - Stargazing
Chapter 17 - It says Kate
Chapter 18 - I love your eyes
Chapter 19 - It's my room
Chapter 20 - It's not like she's Voldemort
Chapter 21 - We should go say hi
Chapter 22 - Can I stay?
Chapter 23 - Of course I'm angry
Chapter 24 - She's Cute
Chapter 25 - I've got you, ok?
Chapter 26 - Nobody said it was easy (Part I)
Chapter 27 - Nobody said it was easy (Part II)
Chapter 28 - Don't avoid me
Chapter 29 - Just think about what I said
Chapter 30 - I don't know how I feel
Chapter 31 - Don't be with her
Chapter 32 - I don't push her away
Chapter 33 - Things change
Chapter 34 - I never agreed to that
Chapter 35 - I don't know how to start (Part I)
Chapter 36 - I don't know how to start (Part II)
Chapter 37 - Lilly was right
Chapter 38 - The wolf in sheep's clothing
Chapter 39 - Today is a very special day
Chapter 40 - I see crystal clear now
Chapter 41 - Too bad it's too late for us
Chapter 42 - I always have (Part I)
Chapter 43 - I always have (Part II)
Chapter 44 - Maybe you should ask Bennett
Chapter 45 - What are we going to do?
Chapter 46 - Forever

Chapter 4 - I came to find you

1.4K 62 38
By TeaInTheGarden02

"So, have you and Bennett made peace yet?'' Lilly asks as she takes off her shoes and makes herself comfortable on my bed.

It's been a week since Bennett and his parents had dinner at our house and he apologized to me. It just wasn't totally terrible because his parents were there and it's always nice being around them.

However, Bennett and I weren't exactly on the best terms, so we just kept quiet most of the night.

I was in a bad mood because I waited the whole week to see Dylan and he wasn't there, so that part was no fun.

Bennett and I haven't spoken the entire week after that and he didn't give me any more rides, even though he offered it to my mom. It was my time to make excuses so I didn't have to be alone with him.

''There's nothing to make peace about, we haven't talked since Friday. I don't get it, you know? Ever since summer is over, he's more annoyed with me than usual. It's like I did something to him." I consider the situation and it's so true.

I don't know what his problem is lately.

''Maybe you did.'' She looks at me seriously, with an expression I know so well.

''Oh Lilly, you can't feed this fantasy of yours about Bennett having a crush on me. There's absolutely no reason for you to think that, it's actually the opposite, so drop this.'' I throw a pillow at her face, but she catches it before it hits her.

''All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be impossible.''

''How would you even know?'' I narrow my eyes at her, but she just shrugs. Sometimes I have the feeling she knows something I don't. ''It's not only impossible, it's nonsense. Why don't we focus on Connor's party instead? Which one do you like, the blue or the green one?''

I put both dresses in front of my body and she considers my options.

I'm looking forward to wearing these new dresses Sarah made me buy. She said they are a perfect fit to my body type and she wasn't wrong. They indeed make me feel good about myself.

''The green one. It will be perfect with your black jacket.''

I'm putting the blue dress back to its place in the closet when we hear a knock on the door and I tell whoever is there to come in.

''Hey, Mrs. Harper.'' Lilly smiles as she greets my mom.

''Lilly, darling. It's good to see you.'' They engage in a conversation and I wait for them to finish catching up.

''Mom, we need to get ready. Do you need anything?'' I'm not being rude, it's just that I know how she works. She starts talking and forgets the reason why she's actually here for.

''Oh, right. Denise called me to say that Peter forgot his wallet here last night. Do you mind stopping by on the way to the party to give it back to him?''

The Wests had dinner here last night as they do every weekend, but I didn't join them this time. I went to the movies with Lilly instead, which was good, because I didn't want to have another awkward Friday night in Bennett's company.

And I knew in advance that Dylan wasn't joining, so another reason to skip it.

''Sure mom.'' I don't mind stopping by their house, even knowing that Dylan is not around today.

''Great. You two have fun, but not too much.'' She seems to think of what else she's supposed to say. ''Oh, yes, and don't drink.''

She smiles, not really meaning it. My parents have always been cool with me going to parties as any normal teenager would. As long as I know my limits, don't do drugs or go home with strangers, they are kind of ok with it.

Oh, yeah, and as long as I have my migraine medicines with me. I made sure it's ok to drink while taking these new meds, so it shouldn't be a problem. I did my research, it's not like I could ask my doctor about it.

''Your mom is so cool, have I ever said that?''

''Yes Lil, like a million times.'' I playfully roll my eyes. ''Let's move or we'll be late.''

I pull her arm so she can get her lazy ass out of my bed and start getting dressed.

''What do you think?'' She asks me once she's ready and my mouth actually falls open.

Lilly has always been gorgeous. Being part of the volleyball team, she always had an athletic body. Not to mention her long wavy hair and green eyes that make boys go crazy for her.

Tonight is not different in her killer red dress.

''You look incredible!'' I state and she twirls holding her dress, looking like a little kid.

''I know, right? You look amazing too.'' I look at myself one last time in the mirror, before putting my cute but not so high heels on.

I'm quite tall, so I don't want to stand out that much by looking like a giant tree. Maybe the blue dress would have been better. 

We grab our things and shortly after we're out the door on our way to the West's house, before we go to the party.

When we get there, I tell Lilly to wait in the car as it will only take a minute. 

I ring the doorbell and as soon as the door opens, I feel all the air leaving my lungs.

''Well, if it isn't my favorite Harper.''

''Dylan!'' I don't know how to react to the fact that the guy I love - and wasn't expecting to see today - is standing right in front of me. ''You... You're home.''

''I just got here, actually.'' He opens the door wide for me, but not before giving me his signature smile that makes me forget how to function.

I follow him inside the house, my heart jumping inside my chest.

I can't believe Dylan is here! I mean, it's his house, but I thought he was on campus.

''What are you doing here?'' He asks, still smiling and I hope he stops, because I can't take in how handsome he looks.

''Oh, I just came to give your dad's wallet back. He forgot at our place last night.'' I hand him the black wallet and he takes it from my hand. When he does, his fingers brush on mine.

It was by accident, I know, but I feel like I might faint right now. My heart is racing and it's suddenly so hard to breathe.

''Right, thanks." He looks at me from head to toe and I feel my face redden as he checks me out. "Are you going somewhere?''

Thank God for this party. Also Lilly for helping me dress up.

''We're going to Connor's party. Lilly is waiting for me outside.'' He smiles again and nods. I know him and Connor didn't exactly get along, as both wanted to be the kings of school, so I'm sort of cautious to say we're going to his place. 

I guess now that Dylan graduated, Connor thinks it's his time to be the popular one. As long as Dylan was around, he didn't stand a chance.

If Lilly wasn't waiting for me, I'd probably make up an excuse to stick around with him, but he must have plans. It's Saturday night after all. What am I saying, even if it wasn't he wouldn't want to hang out with me. 

''Cool. Well, have fun then.'' I slowly make my way to the door, not really wanting to leave.

He follows me and as I'm going down the entry steps, he calls my name, so I turn around.

''You look incredibly good, you know that, right?'' He says and I smile at him.

I go to Lilly's car, getting inside where I can finally scream.

''What the hell happened?'' Lilly asks.

''Dylan! He's home and he said I look good.'' I cover my face with my hands as I rush to say the words.

''That's it?'' She doesn't seem amused by it, but come on! This is big!

''You don't understand Lil, he was checking me out. He said I look incredibly good. Not just good! He's finally noticing me. Can you believe it?" She's still looking at me seriously, while I'm hyperventilating.

"Well, it only took seven years for that compliment.'' She smirks and I shush her, still feeling great about what he said.

She starts the engine and speeds down towards Connor's house and changes the subject entirely, not that I stopped thinking about Dylan.

Lilly spent the rest of the way telling that she wants to get drunk, as this is in her bucket list.

We don't usually get drunk like many kids in our school and well, it's not like we go to many parties anyway. 

It happened a couple of times though, so I don't get why it's even on her list. She says it's because we are seniors now, so it will be different.

She parks the car easier than we expected and we make our way to the big house in front of us. We're greeted with loud music, plastic red cups and a lot of people. Like, really a lot.

''I thought this was a seniors party, but the entire school is here.'' I comment, looking around.

"Of course, did you really expect to be just our class? Connor was obviously going to invite everyone.'' 

We go deeper inside the house and the host himself fills two cups from the beer keg and hands them to us, which Lilly drinks in almost one shot.

''You'll get drunker sooner than you want, Lil.''

''That's the idea.'' She makes me drink mine too while she's already getting a refill.

The beer's bitter taste is a bit weird at first as I'm not used to it, but still good.

I can only say that I don't know how we got to this, but after a while I felt so tipsy that I couldn't even remember why I thought drinking was a good idea in the first place.

I guess it's been a couple hours that we are here, or maybe more? I have no idea, but everyone is drunk already. Or is it just me?

''Alex, do you know that Chris plays clarinet?" Lilly stumbles to my side with Chris, a guy from the football team. She's laughing uncontrollably as if whatever she's saying is actually funny. She then turns to Chris. "Alex plays piano. Oh, you should play together sometime."

She pats him on the shoulder and he screams "hell yeah", together with a bunch of other people.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I guess I'm worse than I think, because I just agreed to her suggestion of starting a band, forgetting that I don't even play anymore.

''Lil, I was thinking.'' I pull her to the side so she's able to hear me over the music. ''I should tell Dylan how I feel.'' She nods, but I'm not sure she actually heard what I said.

I've been thinking this whole time about what Dylan said to me and the fact that he complimented me gives me the confidence I need to come clean about my feelings.

"You know what? I'll call him." I say to myself as I grab the phone from my pocket.

Today is the day I'll tell Dylan how I feel and nothing is going to stop me.

I scroll down my contacts list until the letter W, which is harder than it looks, as I'm seeing kind of blurred.

I blame the beer.

I see the West name and I press the dial button, my heart beating fast as Dylan picks up on the first ring.

"Hello? Alex?" His rough voice is so nice and I close my eyes, ready to say it.

It's now or never.

"Here's the thing, I like you. Like, I really like you. Not like a sister, I like you like the type when you really like like someone." I don't say hi or give him a chance to say anything, I just blurt my heart out and repeat the word like way too many times.

Do I make any sense? Probably not.

"I think you've got the wrong number."

I stay in silence, trying to process what he said. Wait, what?

"No, I didn't. Who is this?"

"Bennett." I look at the screen and I indeed see Bennett's name on it.

Oh, freaking shit. I saw West and dialed, but I didn't even think that Bennett's number would come before his brother's.

Have you ever heard of alphabetical order? Stupid me.

I put the phone back to my ear and I sigh.

"I guess you meant to call my brother."

I feel a wave of embarrassment and anger invading me. When I finally have the courage to tell Dylan how I feel, I call his brother. Seriously, how stupid can I be?

"Never mind." I'm about to hang up, feeling more and more embarrassed by the minute.

"Wait, are you ok? Where are you?" I can hear the concern in his voice. No, I'm sure I'm hallucinating.

"Why do you want to know?" I laugh, for absolutely no reason.

I facepalm myself. Why am I so awkward?

"Alex, are you at a party?" Silence. "Are you with Lilly?"

"No, I'm alone." I finally say as I look around and don't see Lilly anywhere. I regret telling him this the minute the words are out of my mouth.

"Have you been drinking?"

"No?" I'm not sure he believes, because well, it's not true.

"Text me the address, I'm going to get you."

"No, you're not." I make my point with a frown on my face as if he could see it.

"Alex..." I can hear him sigh. "How are you going home? Do you have a ride?"

"So many questions." I whine, because Bennett is just annoying.

"Well, answer them." I hate his patronizing tone.

"I don't know. I'll figure it out. You probably have better things to do, like... study or something. I'm hanging up now. Bye."

"Wait, Ale—" I don't wait for him to finish before ending the call and shoving my phone back inside my jacket's pocket.

I don't want Bennett's judgmental ass to be here. I feel so frustrated that all I want to do is find Lilly so we plan how to go home.

There's no way she's driving us intoxicated. I might be drunk, but I'm not crazy.

I don't know how long has passed since I called Bennett, but I'm assuming it has been a while because the next thing I know, I see him walking in my direction.

He's wearing his usual black... wait a second. Bennett is here?

I see a few people looking at him, probably because they're not used to seeing him at a party.

He's definitely not the party type.

I remain standing still while he comes closer and closer until he stops right in front of me. I should do something, but I'm stuck in place.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"I came to find you."

"How did you know where I was?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"I called Lilly." I roll my eyes this time.

"Of course you did."

For some reason, I'm pissed off. He didn't have to come here, I don't need a babysitter.

"Why do I have the feeling that you're mad at me?" He puts his hands inside his pockets and looks at me intently.

"Because I am!" He raises an eyebrow as if silently asking me why. "I didn't ask you to come rescue me."

"I'm not rescuing you, I was just worried."

"Don't be! I'm not your problem to fix." I bark at his face.

"I don't think you're a problem, Alex."

"No? Then why do you look at me like this?" Why is this conversation going down this road? It's not his fault that I'm frustrated that I can't get a simple phone call right.

"How do I look at you?'' He says calmly, his eyes studying me. Maybe I'm exaggerating, I don't know.

"Like I'm broken." I whisper hoping he didn't hear somehow, but when he shakes his head, I know I'm not that lucky.

"I don't look at you like that."

"You do. Like you're figuring out how to fix me." I want to cry. Gosh, what am I even doing? 

"You don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing to fix." He frowns, looking as frustrated as I am.

Great, now he's annoyed with me. Well, what's new?

I suddenly feel the world spin and I have to hold onto the counter.

"Come on, I'll take you home." He gently supports me when I stumble back, almost tripping over a bottle.

I simply follow him, convinced that if he takes me home, I'll have more time to argue with him.

I get inside his car and we're soon out the driveway as he makes his way to my house.

I thought I had a lot to say, but the next thing I know, I'm waking up confused in front of my house.

''You fell asleep.''

To make my shame even worse, I feel the drool in the corner of my mouth. I not only slept the way home, but I drooled in his car. What's next? He'll tell me I snored?

''Let's go.'' He rounds the car and helps me get out, supporting me all the way to my door. I thought I wanted to fight, but I guess I'm just too tired for it.

He leads the way to my room and as I lay down, I see him getting my phone from my jacket and connecting it to the charger next to my bed.

''You don't have to do that. We're not friends. You don't need to help me, you can just... leave me alone." I say, getting back to my annoyed stage, but he just stares at me again.

That's the stare, the one that makes me think he wants to fix me.

"I should leave you alone, but I won't." I grab my pillow and hug it, curling up into a fetal position, feeling like the world is spinning again. "Here, you need to take your medicine."

He takes the pill from my nightstand, hands it to me and I take it without questioning. I didn't even know he knew I take migraine medicines, but he probably heard my mom talking about it.

"Why won't you leave me alone?" I ask genuinely. I can barely get the words out as I'm feeling myself drifting off to sleep again.

"Because different than you think, I care about you."

I close my eyes and they almost don't open again.

"You shouldn't care." I whisper in a whiny voice again, seconds from being completely knocked out.

I then hear a heavy sigh.

"I know, but unfortunately, I do." I feel a soft touch as he takes a strand of hair away from my face.

I'm too sleepy to react. Yeah, I'm more intoxicated than I think, considering his touch actually felt nice.

"Good night, Alex."

......................... 

Hello Lovely Readers,

Here it is another update!! What do you think? I know it's a bit longer chapter. I'm looking forward to knowing your opinion, so pleeeeease comment (and vote)! 

What do you think of the characters so far, especially Bennett? I'm curious to know!! I just love him so much, but well, maybe I'm biased. hehe

Also, what do you think is the deal with Lilly? Does she really know something that Alex doesn't?

I can't wait to tell the rest of this story!

What would you like to happen?

Love, Me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 121 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
3.8K 286 48
Alexandra Queen, she has never had a normal childhood. Her and her mother were abused by her father and his friend, John. Day in and day out. Their j...
564K 19.5K 65
[+18]* NOW COMPLETE* Back Series Book 2 Dylan's been a good boy all his life but there's this insurgent flame that has been burning inside him and it...
5.5K 1K 34
Trying to make it through senior year... Hoping to have the least amount of distractions, Sienna Martinez has a simple plan for her final year at Rid...