THIS SIDE THAT SIDE

By Magicalpenner

What if you get a chance to add colours of happiness to your most favourite fictional character? Sunaina belo... More

My Hero Arjun
Trapped
Celebrating Destiny
A Reality Hard to Define
Partial Revelation
Your Eyes Tell
Calm in the Wilderness
FRIENEMY
Unsealed Wounds
The Challenge
The Confrontation
Chanced Encounter?
Forever
Author's note
Shards of Doubt
Ray of Light
Hold Onto Me
Lost in You
Stay... Please
Longing in my dream
Is it true?
Vows and Trust
Rain or Tears?
Truth and Reasoning
You are my Saviour
Wish Upon a Star
Valentine's day Special: Promise
VDay Special pt2 and special announcement: Closer
High Time
Light to your Birth
Disappearance
Identity
Accusations
End of your demise
Happy Ending?
Tied to You
Your Bride to be
Colored in your Color
Farewell my beloved
Finale: My Paradise

Beating Hearts

34 11 4
By Magicalpenner

Sunaina's POV

It's been a month since I have joined in Arjun's company. Everything seems to be going smoothly. Every day I go separately to his office in the morning and Arjun takes me back home after the end of the shift. Karan's project is easier to deal with as I have already worked in that field in real world. I have heard from other employees that Mr Bharadwaj is really happy with my performance. The pay is well too. Moreover, I am well off in this world. There's only one problem I am facing though-

Arjun ignores me like crazy!!

I just don't know what is wrong with this guy but he has been ignoring me ever since we had that little moment together. I don't know what exactly happened. Was that hug very uncomfortable? Was I smelling? Is it something I said? I don't know but this ignorance of his is killing me.

"Good morning Sir." I walked up to him and wished him first. Living up to my expectations, he didn't even look at me let alone wish me back. He went past me and I turned around to look at his disappearing back pouting angrily.

"Rude!" I muttered to myself. "If you didn't like my hug back that day then why did you initiate it."

"What are you dreaming of Princess?" A familiar voice broke into my thoughts. I looked at the source of the voice only to find Karan standing there smiling at me. His arms crossed together pointed at me.

"What is making you pout all of a sudden?" The smirk on his face was too evident in his voice.

"I am not liable to reply to you now am I?" I snapped back. I didn't want any drama early in the morning.

"Woah. Someone is being cranky. Is it that time of the year again for your girls?" His words shook the hell out of me. I glared at him one last time and left the hallways immediately. I thought it to be best not argue back with him. Afterall, he is my client. 

I sat on my desk and was distracted for the entire day because of his remark. How the hell can he get so frank with me?! Did he really think that he was that close to say things like this. I really need to be careful and create some distance between us. I don't want any drama here. Already life has been very cruel to me. I miss my family, those uncountable bickerings of my parents. Those pain in the ass friends of mine and mostly my life there- I miss it the most. Will I ever be able to go back? My worries were growing as the days went by.

"Hey Sunaina. Our client is asking for you." Tara, my team mate informed me about the sudden ordeal and broke into my reverie. To be honest, after that encounter with Karan in the hallway, I am too pissed off at him to even have a small talk but he is the client afterall. Everything feels so strange. Him being a lookalike of my ex and acting all comfortable with me. I really don't like it but guess we have to deal with this.

"You can go Tara. I will go to meet him in 5 minutes." With that being said, I gave a final look at the reports for the week and went to the conference room. There I saw Arjun and Karan sitting side by side, discussing something. Arjun's forehead were filled with creases that I have never noticed before. I gave a slight knock on the door and both of theirs attention turned at me.

"May I come in sir." I asked politely.

"Yes Sunaina get in please." Arjun responded immediately and I entered inside.

"Good afternoon sir." I wished both Karan and Arjun and they wished me back.

"Ms Mehra." I turned my head around and heard Karan speak. "Can I have this week's progress report my dear or your mood swings didn't let you finish that?" I was surprised at his comment and I noticed that Arjun was suprised as well. I tried not to show any anger and replied slowly.

"I don't know if you mixing me with someone else but I never let my emotions get the better of me."

"I will disagree to that." I heard him mutter this but this time I decided to ignore whatever he said. I started off the presentation with information about this week's progress and gave him the progress report. He raised his eyebrows in amazement.

"You really are a great employee." He said. "You know what? Next week, we will be having a party. I would like to request you and your team to join this party." I saw him staring at me with some hidden intention and I had no idea what he was going on about. Party? The project is not even over and he starts to celebrate already. I don't feel like going to his so called party. I was about to reject his invitation when he suddenly turned his attention towards Arjun.

"Hey, so many rumours are going on that you have a girlfriend. Why don't you bring her to the party as well."

His words made me very confused.

"Wait....what?!??!" I looked at Arjun.

"What?" Karan asked back.

"Arjun has a rumoured girlfriend?" I still can't believe it.

"Um...yeah I guess so." Arjun replied in a low voice. Somehow his assertive answer formed a lump in my stomach. Arjun found someone? I thought his family would have known about it had that been the case. It was selfish of me but I wanted to believe otherwise. I looked at him with pleading eyes almost asking him to take back those words of his. Arjun seemed to have understood the words in my gaze but he decided to ignore them. He turned at Karan and gave him a curt smile.

"Don't worry Mr Singhania, I will come there with my girlfriend." His words started to prick my heart more. So this is the reason why he was ignoring me all of a sudden. Suddenly it all made sense and a bitter smile conquered over my face.

"If there isn't anything else, I would like to leave." I said in a low voice and was about to get up when Karan called me out once again.

"Sunaina..." I turned around and Karan was looking at me with a sort of triumphant eyes. "It's a couple entry party so it would be great if you can come with someone." What exactly does he mean? I tried to understand the intent of the words he just spatted. "If you don't get anyone to go with, give me a call after you reach the venue. I will join you as your partner." His words almost made me frown.

"Thank you Mr Singhania but I am not cut for such parties. I don't think I will make it. Please excuse me." Saying this, I left the room immediately. My eyes almost wet with tears. The rest of the day went along without much interaction between me and Arjun. I finished the work but decided to stay back in the office overtime. I didn't want to return home with him. I just can't face him. All this is becoming too much for me to handle. I was working in my desk silently when I heard the guards call me.

"Madam only you are left in the office. It's already very late." His voice clearly signalled me to wrap up my work for the day. I sighed loudly on his words. I processed his words again. Arjun's isn't there waiting for me. He has left already. My heart was paining more.

"This is what I wanted right? That Arjun leaves me and goes home?" I thought to myself. "But then why am I disappointed?" I smiled at the security guard faintly and wrapped up my work giving a final check to everything. I shut down my laptop and put it inside my bag heading outside the office building. Looking at my watch, I realised it was 9 pm. I looked around in the parking lot and found the whole area to be dark already. I am not afraid of darkness or anything but I was kinda getting disappointed. None of the members from Arjun's house gave me a call to ask about my whereabouts. I guess no one cares about me that much eh?

"I shouldn't expect much" I muttered to myself again. It was just a venture that I was taking in vain when suddenly I heard honking of a car. On turning at the direction of the sound, I saw Arjun's car coming towards me very slowly and steadily.

Arjun's POV

She was standing there looking at her watch. Her eyes filled with sadness and disappointment. I brought the car closer towards her. She looked at me with surprise. Her dreamy eyes that resemble the sea. She was likely to be surprised. Both she and I didn't expect that I will stand here for her for more than two hours. I knew that she wanted to ignore me hence the overtime. I could have ignored her and left for home but a part of me couldn't leave her alone. Why did I do that? I really don't know. But what I do know that my heart leaps and dances when she is in front of me. I tried to maintain my aloof composure and pulled down the window of my glass.

"Get in." It seems that my words didn't get inside her head. She was standing there still in a daze.

"You waited?" Her voice filled with mockery. "Or is it that girlfriend of yours for whom you got late." Her words brought a smile on my face. She was indeed jealous. I had no intention of doing this to her but her closeness with Karan was bothering me. I heard it how Karan was frankly talking to her about her periods. Somehow it made my blood boil. I had no intention to eavesdrop on their conversation but I eventually did. Somehow their closeness was pricking me. Maybe it was not just about Mr. Singhania but any man who will try to come near her. I guess I want to tease her for some time more.

"Yes." I said in a declarative tone. "Now can you get in. We need to head home as well." Her eyes turned bitter and teary and she got in without any argument. That's strange! She backed out without an argument? Was me having a girlfriend so normal to her? The guy who hugged her tightly some time ago is ignoring her yet she doesn't flinch? Am I not important in her life? My lips were curling into a frown. Maybe she wasn't jealous. Maybe it was all my wishful thinking. But her eyes seemed wet right? It's just so confusing. I decided to not to pry in further and started my car's engine. We drove outside the parking lot towards home.

"So you won't be attending the party?"

"I don't think so."

"Why?"

"Tara will attend on my behalf and she is bringing her boyfriend for the event."

"So?"

"If I go, I have to go with Karan and I don't want to bring rumours in the company regarding myself and our client." Her words pricked me. She could have just come with me. She could have been my partner but no! All she can think of is that guy!

"So if he wasn't your client, you would have went with him?" I realised that at this point of the conversation, I had started to grit my teeth in anger.

"I will leave in a few days, so what's the point in knowing."

"Where will you be going?"

"From where I came."
She won't stay here forever? That's not the case right? I can still see her, talk to her and be with her. Why am I so scared of parting ways with her? I pulled the brakes in the middle of the road and she looked at me with confused eyes.

"Do you have to go Sunaina?" I could feel my voice cracking.

She turned her face on the other side and gave a slight nod. My heart sank. She doesn't want to stay here. I was unable to see her reactions. I know I am being unreasonable but I want her to be by my side. The day I pulled her close to mine, I realised that my heart has been captured by her little by little. I wanted to caress her and kiss her that day but my feelings for Mansi got the better of me. Was I ever in love with Mansi back then? Or even now? I don't know but what I know for sure is that Sunaina is the one. The one for whom my heart beats are thumping like crazy. That one month when I didn't talk to her made me feel like a lunatic. It made me feel like a lunatic for her. Is this how love feels? My heart was beating faster. I looked at her begging her to turn towards me but she didn't flinch.

"Is it necessary for you to leave?" I asked her with all the courage I gained so far.

"Arjun..." She said slowly. "It doesn't matter. But I can promise you that I will stay here till you propose to your girlfriend and introduce her to us." Her voice indicated pain.

"Hmm...I will." I didn't know why I said that but I started to kick myself internally for this lie. Neither of us spoke through the rest of the journey. Finally, we reached home quite late only to find that everyone was already getting ready for dinner.

"Ah hah! Aru and Sunu what's cooking between you two?" Mansi chirped in. Suddenly it didn't annoy me any more and I smiled at her but was cut short by Sunaina immediately.

"It's nothing like that, I was just working overtime and he went to meet with girlfriend."

Ugh! This girl!! The moment she spilled the word 'girlfriend' I could everyone choke on their food.

"Did you just say girlfriend? Bhai bring this girl at home." Abhay seemed to be ecstatic.

"When are you bringing her here?" Gayathri Devi asked as well. I feel that I am getting entangled in my lie as well.

"Give me details!!! Is she as good as Sunaina?" Mansi's words brought a smile on my face. Without much thought, I replied in a nod. On hearing this, Mansi spoke like an elderly lady.

"Bring her home soon, I am gonna check if she is eligible for you." I didn't realise when among all this ruckus, Sunaina slipped away into her room. When I turned around to look for her, it was too late.

We all had our dinner when Nandini informed to us that Sunaina was having her dinner in her room. Somehow, this behaviour of hers was hurting me. I just wanted to hug her again and kiss her on her lips. I wanted confess my feelings to her before it is too late but I know I had to wait for that perfect moment.

(Later that night)

I took the blue wrapped package in my hand and headed towards Sunaina's room. I was hella nervous. What if she throws it away on my face? What if she says she doesn't want it? I can't think of a failure now. I had to take this chance. I came in front of her room and knocked a little bit harder on it than expected.

"Coming!" I heard her charming voice and the next moment I saw her standing in front of me. Her hairs opened and her eyes shocked.

Sunaina's POV

Arjun was standing in front me in his night suit and with a package in his hand.

"Can I come in?" He said in a shy tone. I gave a nod and he came inside hurriedly.

"What's wrong?" I asked him straight coming to the point.

"Um..."

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering if...."

"If?"

"If you know...."

"I know what?"

"You know saree suits you." His words took me aback.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Well...well...here." he shoved the package that he was carrying in front of me. "Wear this for the party and come with me." Saying this he literally dashed off the room. I was confused at his actions. One time, he ignores me like crazy, claims that he has a girlfriend and now on the other hand, he is giving me something and telling me to wear it? What the hell! Exasperated, I opened the package and the content of the package shocked me.

Inside was a sky blue coloured half saree with a perfect fitting blouse. The pallu of the saree was embroidered with beautiful dark blue coloured sequins. The blouse seemed to studded with silver sequins. I looked at the blouse carefully and was in awe at the design. It had three quarter sleeves like those of the 80's style and it's back knotted in a latkhan. The size and colour seems to be perfect. Looking at it, I smiled. It was neither to shabby nor showing too much skin. He knew that I wasn't comfortable with backless dresses.

"Did Arjun get this for me? So that I can wear it at the party?" I smiled to myself and blushed profusely. He did all this for me. Somehow, this gesture of his was racing my heartbeats. I don't know why he did this for me but I will honour his gesture. I hoped that when it was time for me to leave finally, I will be able to carry these things back to my world. I smiled at myself one last time placing the saree on myself. It was elegant and the colour was suiting me perfectly. I wonder how will Arjun react seeing me in this saree. Excited I fell asleep eagerly waiting for the day of the party.

So.... another update. I swear to god I will try to give faster updates. I had something else in mind as well but I decided to keep it upto this length only. Don't worry, the next chapter will be updated soon. I was told by many that I should finally step into some action scenes. Too bad I couldn't do it in this chapter. I promise you the next chapter will be better than you expect. Thank you for loving my book. Keep voting and hopefully you will keep coming back to this book.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 626 39
Am I alive?? How is it possible?? I died , right?? I was betrayed and killed by my husband and best friend?? Why do I look 10 years younger?? This is...
107K 5.5K 43
Ranvijay, a Cold man by nature, battling the world and himself, gets tied up with a selfless shy girl, Niharika. "I asked, what kind of husband do y...
20K 2.8K 41
Unedited! Wherein one is deeply in love while the other has vowed to never fall in love again. **************************************** Arjun Raicha...
355K 10.1K 54
A girl who is betrayed by her so called friends and family. The people whom she trusted in her life became her worst nightmares. She didn't know whe...