Sauvage | Jeon Jungkook

By tjunglebook

"No private conversations in my company, Ms. Carlson," he says coldly, making me gasp silently at the accusat... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Final
Epilogue
Reflection

Seven

14.9K 915 452
By tjunglebook

I wait at a corner of the lobby and observe how one by one the guests for the evening enter through the main entrance. I took the back entrance as soon as I saw some paparazzi standing outside because I didn't want to be photographed.

This event is not for the public and I don't understand why no one from the organization fixes this problem and I don't know where the paparazzi got the information about this event. But they seem to know everything anyway without anyone telling them.

I'm still waiting for Ms. Carlson, but she appears to be nowhere in sight. She sent me a message ten minutes ago saying that she will be five minutes late because apparently there is a bit of a traffic jam in front of the building due to the guests pouring into the street one by one.

I'm not sure if she will come in through the back entrance just like I did or if her cab will drop her off in front of the building. I had offered to pick her up yesterday and that might have been beneficial, but she declined.

Pushing back the sleeve of my suit jacket, I glance at my watch. I clear my throat and look around. The guests walking past me smile at me and I nod politely back. These are people I see all the time, people I've done business with in the past, or just people I run into at events like this.

I feel weird because it feels like everyone is looking at me strangely. After all, I'm just standing there like a statue. I don't know where to put my hands so I link them in front of my body.

"Jungkook, is that you?" I hear someone say somewhere behind me and when I turn around I find Mr. Bonneville and his wife walking in my direction. "It's been a year already."

"Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville, good evening."

He comes to stand in front of me, his wife hooking her arm in his. He extends his hand to me, which I take and shake. Then I take his wife's hand and place a small kiss on her knuckles to which she giggles flattered.

Mr. Bonneville puts his hand on my shoulder. "How are you, son?"

"I'm fine, sir. How are you?" I ask back. "And you Mrs. Bonneville?"

Mrs. Bonneville smiles and hugs the fur scarf around her shoulder closer while Mr. Bonneville tells me about his recent businesses. I've never worked with him before, but he keeps saying how eager he is to do so, which I appreciate.

He begins to tell me about his tour of Africa and Asia this summer and I listen intently. The Bonneville couple is one of the few who don't like to brag about their wealth even though he likes to talk about his travels. But I notice that for him it is not about the good hotels but much more about the time with his wife and the beautiful views.

We chat in the lobby because I tell them I'm still waiting for someone and Mr. Bonneville gets lost in the conversation. The two are already in their early sixties, but they still have a lot of joy in life. I try to understand how this is possible and I wish I could do the same.

I like that Mr. Bonneville never makes me uncomfortable in a conversation, and in fact, he's one of the only people in this event that I really like. He laughs and the corners of his eyes crinkle a lot because of his age.

I keep trying to crack a little laugh along with his jokes and I almost don't realize that we've been standing here together for another ten minutes. Glancing to my right, I see a person hurrying in our direction, but before I can make out who it is I've already looked away.

However, it only takes me a second to look back only to realize that the person is Ms. Carlson. She takes quick steps, her eyes set worriedly on me. Her dress floats with each step she takes.

"I'm sorry, did I keep you waiting?" she asks as she comes to a stop beside me.

I clear my throat and look away. "Not really. I was talking to Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville."

"Good evening." she smiles kindly before shaking hands with both of them.

"Aren't you going to introduce us, Jungkook?" Mr. Bonneville wonders, eagerly waiting as a big and happy smile plays on his thin lips.

"Yeah, sure. This is Mikayla Carlson," I say. "She's um—"

"Your girlfriend as you kids call it these days?" Mr. Bonneville teases.

I knew this conversation would come up the minute I introduced Ms. Carlson to anyone because it's really only natural to come to an event like this with a real date. And I'm here with one of my employees.

I stumble over my words as the couple in front of me looks at me waiting and I freeze. I hate it when that happens, but that's when Ms. Carlson steps in for me. "No, I'm just his date for tonight," she says.

I look down at her, but she's looking at the couple. I can see her cheeks taking on a slight blush under her makeup, so I look away again. There's a suspicious but at the same time teasing look in the old man's eyes, but I ignore it.

"Sure." he nods along with his wife as they look back and forth between us. The air becomes quizzical, but thankfully they both quickly excuse themselves. "I'm not young anymore and these knees are definitely not meant for standing for that long."

Ms. Carlson chuckles at that, her eyes shining. The dark makeup around her eyes makes them stand out even more. She has hazel eyes with flecks of green and honey. And she doesn't seem to find this as uncomfortable as I do.

After the couple is out of earshot, she turns to me. "I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting, Mr. Jeon."

"It's okay," I reply, ready now to finally head into the main event room, but she stops me.

"I've never been to such a fancy event before and I'm getting a little panicky. What do I do?" she asks, her voice taking an octave higher just like it always does when she starts bubbling. "Is my dress appropriate for an occasion like this? Am I overdressed, underdressed?"

When she stops talking she looks at me with expectant eyes. It's a genuine question, but the problem is I don't know how to answer her. These types of events always go the same way and since I've been used to them for years, I honestly don't know what to do besides sit and talk to the people who approach me.

And about her dress—

Just for a few seconds, I let my eyes travel down. Her dress is kept simple in a very dark blue that almost appears black. The fabric is velvet and has a deep v-neckline in the front that I quickly look away from. It flows evenly down until it touches the floor and the slit on her thigh that I saw earlier is just out of view because she is standing still.

When I find her eyes again, she is still looking at me as she was a few seconds ago. Her black hair is parted in the middle and she has tucked one side behind her ear.

I've never really known how to tell a woman what she looks like. When I was dating Camille, she always wanted to know what I thought of her outfit, her hair, her makeup before we went out to dinner or anywhere else.

And no matter what I said she never really seemed enthusiastic or satisfied by my answer.

"Yes, it is appropriate," I answer and she immediately smiles.

There's a proud look in her eyes as if she's made a spot landing with her choice of clothing. She doesn't seem to care that I don't really comment much.

"Hey, we are matching." She enthuses excitedly as she looks down at my chest.

I also glance at my blue tie and notice that her dress is the exact same color. When I look up at her, the big smile is still written on her lips. I nod and turn to walk to the ballroom.

Ms. Carlson walks beside me and when we arrive at the large double doors a young, smiling waiter greets us. I clear my throat to get his attention and then tell him my name. He leads us in and shows us to our seats.

"I'm a little thirsty, I'm going to get something to drink at the bar," Ms. Carlson informs before we can sit down at the large round table. I notice the Bonneville couple sitting at our table as well. "Do you want me to bring you something, Mr. Jeon?"

"The waiters can bring you something to drink," I suggest. That's basically their job.

"No, they already seem stressed with all the people asking them for something." she looks around before her eyes settle on me again. "I'll be right back."

Instead of sitting down, I follow her to the bar where a few businessmen are already chatting without their wives. It usually goes like this, men talk among themselves and their wives talk among themselves until there are a few speeches, there is dancing and then the evening is over. I honestly don't understand how everyone else enjoys it.

Ms. Carlson and I walk side by side to the bar and when I notice her struggling on her high heels to keep up with my long strides, I slow down. Because I'm driving, I'll probably just spend the evening with a glass of wine.

A young waitress is walking towards us and she looks tense. She doesn't really seem to be paying attention to where she's walking and that causes her to collide with Ms. Carlson because she can't get out of the way fast enough.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, miss! I was distracted and didn't see you!" the blonde woman apologizes, with her arms outstretched in Ms. Carlson's direction to check if she's okay.

"No, don't worry! I'm fine. It can happen." she replies quickly, tucking a loose black strand behind her ear. "Be careful, though."

The waitress mirrors the smile but is a bit more apologetic. "I will. Again, my apologies."

I stand there, watching the interaction between the two. After Ms. Carlson assures her that she doesn't mind being bumped, the waitress sprints away. I hear Ms. Carlson giggle as she looks after her before then looking down at her dress.

"Oh."

The fabric on her shoulder has slipped a bit and that's why she reaches out to fix it. I position myself in front of her, blocking the view of the curious men at the bar. I look away as she adjusts her dress.

She looks up at the moment I look back at her and we then make our way to the bar together. I ask the bartender for a whiskey and Ms. Carlson orders something light and fruity.

After we both get our drinks mixed we quietly walk back to our table. The big room is now full of different people and some of them are couples I have never seen before. Everyone is chatting and having a good time. And I already want to go home and enjoy the evening with Bam. In peace.

All these people, all the looks you get and everyone you know expects you to talk to them. I down my whiskey within a few minutes after we arrive at our seats.

Ms. Carlson, being the talkative person that she is, immediately strikes up a conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville, who are seated to our left. I still don't know why I asked Ms. Carlson to be my plus one, but I'm kind of glad she's answering all the questions instead of me.

She seems to be having fun and the normal bubbly nature of her makes the old couple laugh a lot. I don't know how she does it, but she has all the people around her caught up in her little bubble and the way she tells the simplest things seems to interest everyone.

"Oh, by the way. Jungkook?" I hear Mr. Bonneville's voice after he comes down from his laughter to the story of Ms. Carlson and her graduation speech in high school.

"Huh, yeah?" I manage to get out of my thoughts in time not to seem rude.

"Mr. Martínez told me you're going to give the welcome speech." he takes a big swig of his own whiskey and I feel a bucket of ice water being emptied down my back. "I'm looking forward to it."

"Welcome speech?" I ask. "Why didn't he tell me sooner, then I would have prepared a speech."

"Just a few sentences, you're a smart guy. You don't have to prepare anything." he laughs, and his wife joins him. I feel Ms. Carlson's eyes on the side of my face.

I've always hated events like this when there are surprises I'm not prepared for. Well, no one is prepared for surprises, but still. I'm kind of mad at Mr. Matínez for throwing me in the deep end like that without warning me.

Giving a welcome speech in front of about two hundred people, important people for this charity is not something one should take lightly. Especially when everyone is quiet, staring at you, and all the lights are on you.

My head is running around in circles and I don't even seem to notice the conversations at our table anymore. I hear laughter, words, sentences, but I can't place who they belong to.

I shouldn't be like this, after all, I'm a CEO. I've given speeches many times, but I can't really say I've ever felt good about the speeches I've given. The fear of stuttering or saying something absurd eats me from the inside out until I get off the stage.

Sometimes I can't put my thoughts into words and the things I say don't make sense. At least that's how it feels to me. Not even the applause after my speeches can convince me otherwise and I still feel like I could have delivered something better.

I don't even realize how engrossed I am in my thoughts until I feel something warm on my body. Looking down, I come into view with Ms. Carlson's hand on my knee, her fingers just lightly touching the material of my pants.

It's not inappropriate or invasive, despite the fact that I hate being touched. Her fingers are barely there. Strangely, her touch makes me stop from continuing to bounce my leg and I hadn't even realized I was doing that.

Did I make the table wobble in the process and is that why she stopped me from doing it? Or did the others at our table notice my strange behavior?

I stop my leg from jumping and that's when Ms. Carlson pulls her hand back. She keeps talking to the others the whole time, not even looking at me. I must have probably annoyed her because she is sitting right next to me.

I straighten my back and spread my legs under the table. The nervous thoughts from just now fade and I try to pay attention to the conversation around the table.

I hear some people wince as a loud squeak sounds through the speakers and the lights turn to the stage. The conversations die down and I catch only a brief flash of Ms. Carlson before I turn to the stage as well. Mr. Martínez climbs the stairs before taking the microphone in his hand.

After a few seconds of applause, the white-haired man raises the microphone to his lips. "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I'm glad to see so many familiar faces back this year, and although I usually give a small speech, I'd like to call a very important guest to the stage today. Jungkook Jeon from Jeon&Park has been one of our biggest donors for years, please give him a round of applause!"

I feel my cheeks getting warm as all eyes suddenly turn to me. I try to turn my head in all directions, showing that I appreciate the applause, even though I don't like people talking about my donations. That's a personal thing for me, and I would have appreciated it if it had been kept in the dark.

I get up from my chair and button my suit jacket. Ms. Carlson smiles up at me as she claps along with the other guests. My hands get sweatier the closer I get to the stage.

Mr. Martínez hands me the microphone with a big smile and a pat on the back, and though I glare at him, I try a half-smile on my lips. When I turn to the crowd, the applause fades and the lights on the ceiling blind my eyes.

I fix the microphone on its stand and clear my throat. "Good evening, everyone. My name is Jungkook Jeon, CEO of Jeon&Park." I wince inwardly because Mr. Martínez had already said these things about me. "First of all, I would like to thank you for having me every year. It's an honor for me to be here with you tonight and I would like to additionally thank Mr. Martínez for giving me the opportunity to give the opening speech."

I don't think I'm doing a bad job so far, because everyone seems to be listening intently. "We have all gathered today for charity and I hope that our coming together can make a difference in the world. I um— it's important—"

I tried not to think about how everyone was looking at me, but now it's already too late and my tongue feels tied. Staying focused is one thing, but regaining focus is another. I see dozens of eyes curiously waiting for me to continue.

I scan through the crowd and then my eyes fall on a familiar pair of eyes. "I want us to remember together that charity is a very sacred thing, which makes coming together that much more meaningful. Helping those in need is what keeps us human because happiness shared is always happiness doubled. I am very glad to be a part of this organization. And even though it doesn't seem like a big deal to us, I know that the money we raise during this event will bring big smiles to the orphans."

I take a deep breath, inwardly hoping that the things I said somehow made sense. And judging by the fond looks on the guests' faces, I may have managed to stir something in them.

"Thank you for making many people's lives better and giving them hope for a bright and better future. Please enjoy the event and yourselves."

Loud clapping is what my ears pick up as I then jog back down the stage to get back to my seat as quickly as possible. Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville congratulate me and I thank them.

After I sit down I hear Ms. Carlson say. "That was a very beautiful speech, Mr. Jeon."

____________________

A/N: seems like you guys were waiting for me to write a rom-com because the feedback I got from the beginning is overwhelming. Thank you so much♥️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 580 29
"Cute little dress," he muttered. "Looks good on your hot body. Looks better on the floor." y/n needs to pay the bills and she has no way how. jung...
133K 4.2K 25
jk is a ceo of jeon company. he is very cold, heartless, cruel, rude But not to his family and loved ones.and he is very soft inside.but tae is reall...
144K 9K 70
Everything is fair in love and war. But what if you find both love and war in one person? "Are you perhaps ignoring me, Mr Jeon?" Minhee presses on f...