The Florist And The Prince (O...

By melanesiangurl

Fed up with their strong-headed, rebellious son, the King and Queen of the Kingdom of Terrigal come up with a... More

~ 1 ~
~ 2 ~
~ 3 ~
~ 4 ~
~ 5 ~
~ 6 ~
~ 7 ~
~ 8 ~
~ 9 ~
~ 10 ~
~ 11 ~
~ 12 ~
~ 13 ~
~ 14 ~
~ 16 ~
~ 17 ~
~ 18 ~
~ 19 ~
~ 20 ~
~ 21 ~
~ 22 ~
~ 23 ~
~ 24 ~
~ 25 ~
~ 26 ~
~ 27 ~
~ 28 ~
~ 29 ~
~ 30 ~
Not A Chapter!
~ 31 ~
~ 32 ~
~ 33 ~
~ 34 ~
Announcement
~ 35~
~ 36 ~
~ 37 ~
~ 38 ~
~ 39 ~
~ 40 ~
Author's Note
~ 41 ~

~ 15 ~

47 3 0
By melanesiangurl

Avery's POV (2nd Part)

Twenty minutes before the contestants announcement would be made at the townhall, Claire and the employees of the flower shop made Avery stop working, ignoring her complaints and shooed her off to go upstairs and freshen up, before going over to the townhall.

"Wear the beige floral dress that your mother bought for you in Paris!" Claire called as her granddaughter annoyingly walked back into the storeroom, to head upstairs.

"This is ridiculous." Avery replied then jogged up the stairs.

Walking into the living room, she saw her grandfather sitting outside on the balcony working on another one of his beautifully crafted flowerpot that he makes all by himself  and decided to see what sort of ideas that he had for this new one.

"Wow, that's so pretty papa." She muttered, walking out into their small balcony that looked down at the busy street below.

"Thank you." Joshua replied and leaned back to have a better look at his work.

It was a medium sized flowerpot that was made out of cement that he moulded using the shape of his old toolbox, and now that it was fully dried he began gluing some synthetic jewels that came in the colours that you would normally find at the beach; cobalt, turquoise, aqua, seafoam green, azure and navy blue.

"Why was your grandma and the others chasing you?"

Avery blew out a exasperated sigh and leaned back against the railings. "They want me to dress up properly before going over to the townhall."

"Ha, women." Joshua chuckled.

And Avery rolled her eyes, then released a sigh. "How was your check up by the way?"

"It was all good." Joshua pursed his lips and went back to working on the flowerpot. "Doctor Nyguen said there was no sign of the cancer returning."

"That's wonderful news."

"Yes, it is." Avery frowned a little at the disconnecting tone that her grandfather had for that sentence. It was strange.

"Anyway, you should go and get ready before your grandma spurts more white hair." He continued with a chuckle that sounded forced.

"Are you sure that you are alright papa?" Avery pressed, beginning to get worry.

"Yes, I'm just a little tired. I stayed up late last night drawing this design."

"...Okay."

She still wasn't convinced but what she knew about her grandfather was that, he didn't like it when either her or her grandmother worried about him. A normal trait in most men. They didn't want to look weak.

She got her towel from her room then walked into the bathroom, stripped out of her clothes and stepped into the shower compartment to take a bath. After her bath, she went back to her bedroom and began wondering over what she would wear. She just wanted to dress normal; a pair of jeans, T-shirt and sneakers but she knew that her grandmother wouldn't approve, so after a few minutes pondering she finally chose a pretty knee-length, floral printed summer dress. It was white with orange flowers.

Then she wore a beige knitted cardigan over it that her grandmother had made for her and paired it with pretty black flats that her mother had bought for her in Paris. While she was tying her hair into a milkmaid braid, someone began knocking on her bedroom door gently.

"Avery."

"Yes. Come in."

"You look so beautiful."

"Thank you nan, but this is just simple."

"Sometimes, simple is better...okay, are you ready? It nearly time."

"Almost." Avery replied as she tucked the end of the braid into the other end, then twisted the lock of hairs that she had let down beside her ears to make them look tendrils. "Okay, let's go."

Walking out of the shop, Claire hooked her arm around Avery as they headed towards the townhall and so did many others girls, both of whom were in the required age group and the ones who weren't. Looking at the all the women around, a sense of panic and hopelessness started to crawl up Avery's spine.

"Nan we should go back home?" She stopped walking, prompting her grandmother to do the same.

"Why? Did you forget something?" Claire asked in concern.

"No I...I don't think that I can do this. This is not who I am and look at all the girls around us, I don't stand a chance so let's just go home. There's a lot of work to do at the shop and we are just wasting our time here."

"Sweetheart," Claire began, firmly grasping both of Avery's hand in hers and looking her straight in the eyes. "I know that you are nervous and scared but you must not let those emotions run your life. Remember that you are a child of God, now chin up and let's go."

Once they walked around the street, Avery saw a large crowd had gathered in front of it with palace guards situated in front of the building acting as a barricade, keeping the crowd from getting in. There were even news reporters and their vans around, with cameramen trying to get some footage and photos of the eligibles. It was chaotic

"Good heaven's. What is this?" Claire gasped, flabbergasted.

"Avery! Avery! Please make way!" A woman called from somewhere within the crowd.

Regardless of Avery being taller than most of the women in town as well as a few of the men, she found it difficult to locate the owner until she saw a path been cleared through the crowd heading towards her and her grandmother. Then she saw that it was because of the Sheriff's officers who were holding the people back to clear a path in the middle and there was a young man in a navy blue suit that was walking towards them.

"Are you Miss Avery Cartwright?" He asked her when he got to them.

"Yes, I am." Avery replied.

"Please follow me."

"My nan-"

"May come too."

"Nanna." Avery reached over and held her grandmother's hand and began walking through the crowd behind the suited man until they came to the front where Mrs. Acaster was waiting for them.

"Thank you." She thanked the man, then placed her hand on the small of Avery's back and firmly pushed her towards the steps of the building. "Hurry my dear. Most the other girls have already arrived and are waiting inside."

"You go on inside. I'll catch up." Claire told Avery.

But it wasn't even time yet. There was roughly seven minutes more left, Avery wanted to say but bit her tongue and followed Mrs. Acaster instructions, and hurry up the steps over to the doors that the guards there held open for her, then into the building.

"Your name, please?" A woman dressed in fine tailored navy blue jacket and pencil skirt, that matched the man's asked her when she walked into the room.

"Avery Cartwright." Avery told her looking around the hall.

The chairs were lined up the same way they were before, rows on either sides of the large room but only there were fewer chairs now. And on the stage was a podium with six chairs lined vertical behind it with Madam Eunice, the Sheriff, Mayor, the High school's Headmistress and a unfamiliar man and woman all seated there in their best outfits.

"Okay. Please find yourself a seat. We'll be starting soon." The woman told Avery with a nod, then she walked off down the aisle, towards the stage.

Looking to her right Avery saw a empty seat so she quickly went over to it and sat down just as the woman handed the clipboard that she was held over to Madam Eunice, whispered something in her ear then left the stage.

Looking around, Avery saw that majority of the girls were dressed to impressed and suddenly felt way underdressed but quickly pushed that thought away and looked back up at the stage, watching the six people talk amongst each other before Madam Eunice stepped up to the podium.

"Good day ladies and gentlemen. After countless hours of reading through hundreds of applicants and sleepless nights, the King and Queen, Royal committee and I have finally selected the three young women who will be given a chance in a lifetime to marry our Prince and become a royal." Madam Eunice spoke into the microscope, looking out at the crowd of young women. "It wasn't an easy task at to be honest as there are many of you young women that have excellent attributes and mannerisms that your town leaders clarified were true, but in the end, there are only three places."

Avery could feel and almost taste the anxiety, anticipation, excitement and nervousness in the air. It was overwhelming and a little contagious.

"I hereby invite these young women on behalf of the our gracious highnesses, King Stefan and Queen Sofia, that they will work to the best of their abilities to bring honour to their families and our home, the Kingdom of Terrigal." Madam Eunice continued.

Avery began sweating bullets at this point. Why did she have to say it like that, now she was putting more pressure on them.

"Please arise and come to the stage; Linda Wong. Cassandra Henderson. And Avery Cartwright."

Avery felt the air leave her lungs when Madam Eunice announced her name. She couldn't believe it. She was utterly baffled and rendered speechless.

❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❧❦❦❧❦

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 41.2K 25
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
21.1K 513 36
In this world, there are some people who get their happily ever afters and others who don't. Those who get their magical fairytale romance, cherish i...
662K 12.7K 46
- F I U F A M I L Y S E R I E S - Book 1 - can be read as stand alone What do you get when you mix two pressured college students, NFL drafts, love c...
9.9K 431 50
One date. That's what they were told. One date evolves into something. Something neither of them wanted. A grave misunderstanding occurs pushing a ma...