The Obscure Downsides of Fame

By Obscunima

☀︎︎Featured on Wattpad's @NA and @FreeTheLGBT☀︎︎ * this is the original first draft. The rewrite is now also... More

a c h i e v e m e n t s
0 // Author's Note
1 // touring
2 // music videos
3 // a waste
4 // let's meet
5 // drop it
6 // interesting
7 // crowded
8 // get out
9 // out of love
10 // text?
11 // uhm, Saturday?
12 // back on the radar
13 // marionette
14 // questions
15 // common misconception
16 // one of a kind
17 // the usual
18 // doesn't mean anything
19 // so damn lucky
20 // mildly attractive
21 // I'll figure it out
22 // Kylan fucking Madden
23 // rollercoaster
24 // friends
25 // everything about you
26 // naive
27 // a secret girlfriend
28 // say it
29 // feelings
30 // only if you're into that
31 // fraud
32 // he'll come back
33 // speechless
34 // ghosting
35 // I'm really sorry
36 // a complicated guy
37 // habitually happy
38 // fucked up together
39 // better together
40 // you're definitely something
41 // teeny tiny tipsy
42 // long time no speak
43 // I'm boooored
44 // don't forget about me
45 // man-child
46 // Mercury
47 // I fell down a rabbit hole
48 // bad reality TV
49 // my boyfriend wrote it
50 // it should be magical
51 // just write more
52 // just you and me
53 // burn it down
54 // I promise you forever
55 // Dimple Cheek and Prince Charming
56 // please don't leave
57 // enemies to lovers
58 // unfiltered
59 // fan fiction
60 // Nolan in a nutshell
61 // to be closer to you
62 // on purpose
63 // cookies
64 // a puppy
65 // Commoners
66 // better depressed
67 // crash
68 // put yourself first
69 // the semantics
70 // the little things
72 // we don't need words
73 // independent
75 // the love expert
quick little update

74 // a first impression

41 0 0
By Obscunima

Hi! I'm back to wrap this story up ;)

All of the story will be fleshed out and fixed in the new version (which is already out on my profile). Especially the first half is very different from the original because I started writing in 2019 and now have a better insight with where the story is supposed to go. I hope you'll check it out! <3

Little recap: Nolan is currently in Texas filming a series, they're currently shooting the pilot episode and he'll be back in California after about 2 weeks.

•••

Things didn't exactly go as planned. I wasn't planning on finding a new best buddy in Texas in my week of filming, but I also didn't expect to be basically the only person to not be at least somewhat part of the group.

After about a day of being there, I already felt like an outsider. Maybe it was because I looked unapproachable. Maybe try had judged me before I could even show them what I was like. Either way, I already wanted to go home to California where Oakley and Ava were.

"Why are you staring?" Jane asked, looking at me through the mirror. I hadn't even noticed I was staring. I was stuck in thought for way too long. This wasn't helping my case.

We were currently the only two people in the room. I was waiting for the hair stylist to well... work on my hair. But she's left to get her equipment only a minute before. Jane had been working on her own hair in the meantime, which I'd seen her do a few times before, but I never questioned it. I figured the hairdressers didn't know how to work with her hair type properly, which wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a situation like this on a set.

"Oh, sorry," I said, turning away so if I zoned out again, I wouldn't be staring straight at her.

"Whatever. I'll just finish this in my room," she said, collecting her stuff in her hands.

"Wait, you don't have to. Don't move for me."

"I'm not moving for you."

"Oh, uhm, I- I'm sorry."

She looked at me for a few seconds longer than I'd consider comfortable, but then she sighed and sat back down.

"I heard horror stories about you, but you seem pretty alright to me," she said. She continued on with her hair, struggling to get straight lines in the back.

"Horror stories?" I was weird and awkward, but I'd never heard someone say I was a nightmare to work with.

"Yeah," she said casually. "Ella says you have a tendency to stare, but it's Ella so I didn't think much of it anyway. It's Hunter and Kennedy mostly. They showed me one of those videos circling around."

"Oh, which one?" I asked. Not because it would matter, but because I was curious.

"I'm pretty sure it involved a certain white powder and a clear liquid."

I wasn't sure how to react. I wasn't going to laugh it off, but I also didn't want to make things awkward. Maybe I was quiet for too long, because before anything could come out my mouth, she already beat me to it.

"I mean, they thought you must be one of those guys that think they can do anything, you know? Rich, famous and loud. But you don't actually talk that much. And you seem kinda nice, actually."

"Oh, thanks," I said.

"Not much of a compliment. Just a first impression."

"Sorry."

It was almost as if the stylist heard us talking and noticed the awkward silence that was brewing, because she came back a second later with a blow dryer and one of those round brushes. She didn't look at Jane at all. Instead she walked straight towards me and started working on my hair.

"You're all done," she said a few minutes later. She then looked at Jane, still struggling to make the parts in the back, but walked away without saying anything else. It seemed kind of weird to me how she was acting. This wasn't just a stylist being unqualified.

"Does she always act like you're not in the room?"

"She's absolutely the worst," Jane confirmed. "You know Rydell? They can't do my hair either but they at least try to help. They want to learn too. Chrissy avoids me like the plague."

"That's messed up."

"Yeah, but it's fine," she said with a shrug. "At least she's not frying my hair off."

"It's that bad?"

"Yup. Had to shave almost everything off. I was fifteen so it felt like my life was over."

"Oh, I'm sorry that happened."

"It's fine though. I learned to never let a white person straighten my hair again."

"What are you doing with it today?" I asked her, maybe a little too proud of myself for coming up with a question related to the conversation. Making new friends felt like work. Especially when they weren't the ones coming to me.

"Just braiding it," she said. "If I start now I should be finished by tonight."

"By tonight? How long does this take?"

"I'm not a monster so I do take breaks, so with those calculated in, it should take me until eight? I'm hoping to be done by then at least."

"But that's in at least ten hours."

"That's correct."

The patience she'd need for that was astounding, and the hand cramps must've been unbearable.

"But you're not getting paid for those hours. I mean, it's basically work and it should be your day off."

"Rather ten hours of unpaid labor than Chrissy touching my head with that crusty ass straightener."

The door to the trailer opened, and we both turned towards it almost instantly. It would've been quite awkward it it was Chrissy again, but luckily it wasn't her.

"Ooh, what's this? A sleepover?" Hunter asked. He put an arm around my shoulder as though we'd been friends for years. He smelled strongly of weed and sweat. "Do you guys wanna go to that party tonight?"

"What party?" Jane asked.

"A friend of mine who lives pretty close. Even some of the extras are going. I handpicked them carefully. So what do you say, Mullen? You coming too?"

"Oh, Uhm, I don't know. I don't really do parties."

He looked at me skeptically, almost expecting me to add something to it. In fact, he seemed somewhat offended. I was about to add 'not anymore' to my statement until Jane decided to speak for me.

"I think he's grown out of his rebellious phase, Hunter. Something you could absolutely do as well."

"Rock 'n Roll never dies, Jane." He looked back at me, almost ready to beg. "I thought maybe we could use this to get closer. Like a cast bonding thing. I mean, you're not like a recovered addict right?"

"No, it's just..."

"Please don't ruin the fun! Kennedy's going, Ari is going..."

"I don't mean to but—" he wasn't paying attention to me, still listing names of people who were apparently going.

"...Joseph is going, Marina is going, Peter is going, Jane is going, even Ella is going..."

"Fine, fine. I'll be there!" I promised, finally giving in. He finally let go of me and high fived Kennedy like he'd just completed some elaborate plan.

"Thank you! I'll send you guys the address, and I'll see you guys there around midnight." He smirked as he lightly tapped me on my shoulder twice. "By the way, you're almost late."

"Fuck," I said. "Uhm, I guess I'll see you later," I told Jane before rushing to the set. Today was gonna be terrible.

•••

"Holy shit. Maybe you should take that thing off. Looked like it scabbed the hell out of your arm," Hunter said, lifting my arm up to inspect it. I pulled my arms away. He decided it would be a good idea to all go together, which was pointless since only a few people could fit in one car anyway.

"It's not the bracelet," I mumbled, instinctively grabbing my own wrist. The bracelet was still firmly wrapped around it. I'd started scratching on the spot when I stopped wearing it, which wasn't a good habit, especially not for the camera.

"What is it then? Skin condition? Nervous tic? Allergy?"

"Hunter, leave him alone. We're here to have fun, not for life stories," Kennedy said from the passenger's seat. I never had any schemes with her, but from what I'd seen she was good. Hunter, Jane, Ella and I had scenes together for most of the time. Ella was the youngest and honestly quite annoying, but I wouldn't tell her that to her face.

"Wow, you really didn't want to go," he noted. "You'll be fine though. A few drinks and you'll loosen up."

I wasn't counting on it. My heart was going inside inside of my chest when the car pulled up to someone's driveway. This felt more like a college house party and it didn't exactly make me feel safe.

Hunter put his arms around both me and Kennedy while we were standing outside, and the rest of the people came only a few seconds later than us.

"Pictures, guys. Pictures." Hunter let go of me to pull his phone out of his pocket.

"Should I take it?" I asked.

"Nonsense. I want you in it." He looked around until he saw a random person walking past us. "Hey! Joel right? Can you take a picture of us?" he asked. The guy simply nodded and took his phone.

"Smile guys," the guy said in a monotone voice. A flash went off and he gave Hunter's phone back.

"Perfect," he said. And just like that, everyone was already running inside like children in an indoor playground. I took a deep breath and followed.

The room felt kinda hot and it smelled very strongly of alcohol, weed, and different types of vape flavors. The room beyond the hallway was very large, yet also very full. Most people were all cramped together, dancing to the loud music coming from the speakers. I didn't particularly like the music, but honestly it wasn't too bad either.

Jane held onto my arm and pulled me along with her, and in the kitchen there was finally some room to breathe. The music was still loud and it was still crowded, but at least we weren't stuck together like tunas in a can.

"Drink?" she asked, grabbing an entire bottle of vodka from behind her.

"Please," I said. Hunter was talking to Joseph in the corner, both of them already having beers in their hands. I would definitely need something stronger if I wanted to make it out tonight.

She poured both of us a shot, but I figured one wouldn't be enough, so I took another.

"Already feeling yourself come back to life?" Hunter asked.

"Sure," I said. Maybe I needed another one.

"I think we're gonna need to babysit Ella a little bit. That guy does not look sixteen," Hunter said.

"She's sixteen?" I asked, watching her dance with the man who looked at least twenty five. "Who invited her?"

"She invited herself," Hunter said with a shrug.

"Seriously?" Jane asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"She's whiny. Plus, I don't think you were any older," he said to me. "I think sixteen is a very ripe age to start experimenting with substances, Nolan. The only thing I'm worried about is that man. And all the other ones, for that matter."

"Fine, lets keep her in eyesight at all times, alright?" Jane suggested. "Make sure she doesn't take anything strange from anyone shady either."

Hunter and I nodded.

The time didn't go by as quickly as I'd hoped. Ella was still in eyesight, but no one else was. I was bored and I felt alone, and maybe that boredom had me drinking a little more than intended.

"Nolan!" Ella said from next to me. "Dance with me," she demanded. I put my arms in the air, backing away from her. Her eyes were dilated and her skin flush, and she was also smiling like the Joker.

"I don't dance," I said.

"I've seen you looking at me. I don't bite, you know."

"Right," I said, putting another step back as she put one closer.

"If this is about Georgie, don't worry. I just danced with him because he was just standing there," she said, once again stepping closer as she twirled a lock of hair around her finger.

"I'm not interested. I'm sorry."

"You're lying," she insisted with a giggle. "Really, it's fine."

An arm touched my shoulder and I tore myself away from the touch, only to find Hunter standing there with a concerned crease between his eyebrows. "Jane is feeling sick, I think we should go."

"You take her," Ella said, clinging to both me and him as she lost strength in her legs. "Nolan will stay with me, won't you?"

"I think we should all go back," I said. This wasn't my scene anymore.

Ella whined, holding onto my arm as she complained, but Hunter and I guided her outside where we met up with Kennedy and a near-passed out Jane. She looked worse than I thought she would, slumping up against Kennedy but unable to keep herself up. Kennedy held her up by her waist, but they fell over, onto the grass.

"What did she take?" I asked, rushing up to them.

"We just had a few drinks," Kennedy said. Jane wasn't responding, and her breaths were slow and shallow. She had taken something. Way too much of it. I tried waking her up by slapping her cheek but she wasn't waking up, and I started to panic, looking up at Hunter and Kennedy like they could help, but they were just as panicked as I was, if not worse.

"Hey! Jane!" I shouted, and still no response. I held her head up slightly, pressing my knuckles into her chest. "Fuck. Kennedy, please go inside and ask for Narcan. Ella, I need your coat. We need to keep her warm."

The responses were way slower than I'd like them to be.

"Now!" I commanded, and Kennedy ran off as Hunter helped take Ella's jacket off.

"She... she'll be okay?"

"We're gonna need an ambulance," I said. "Hunter..."

He nodded, his face paling as he fumbled around in his pocket for his phone. I checked her breathing again, but the breeze of the outside air made it difficult for me to tell if she was still breathing. Ella started crying, Hunter turned away from us as he talked to the operator. Kennedy returned, out of breath.

"I got a bunch," she said, dropping five sprays to my feet. I checked her heart, and it was still beating. And her chest was still moving up and down. She was still breathing. She should be fine soon.

"Nolan, you know how to use that stuff?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah," I said, but my hands were shaking, and I blacked out. "wait..."

I didn't have to say anything as he gave me his phone so the dispatcher could help me.

"I'm sorry I forgot..." I mumbled. "I got the nasal spray. Narcan," I told them, deciding that it was likely important to know. "She's breathing irregularly, she's had alcohol, we don't know what else, I yelled but she's not responding..."

"Good," the dispatcher interrupted me. "Lay her on her back, hold her head up, and spray about half of it in each nostril."

I did as he told me. I can't fuck this up.

"Is she breathing independently?" he asked. I put my hand up to her nose, and my ear to her chest, and my muscles relaxed as her breathing became more stable.

"Jane?"

She woke up, looking around her, and I smiled, tears still in my waterline.

"You're okay," I said, both at her and at myself.

"What's going on?" she asked as though she'd just woken up from a good nap. I was the first to hug her, and Ella, Kennedy and Hunter soon followed.

"Oh my god, I thought you were about to die," Kennedy said.

"Die? Did I drink too much?"

"You OD'd," Hunter said, and we all pulled away. She wasn't aware, which meant someone must've drugged her.

"I didn't," she insisted.

"Maybe it was one of those girls from earlier?" Kennedy said. "They were a little weird."

The wailing sound of an ambulance quickly got louder, and Jane looked at me.

"I'm confused," she said. "What happened?"

"Someone must've drugged you," I explained to her. "But you'll be okay."

She nodded, still not believing what we told her, but going with the ambulance regardless.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 51.1K 80
This story is complete ✅ Alec is a twenty-five year old gentle boy with the looks of an angel. He has not figured out what he needs in love yet and h...
143K 5.7K 82
Even though I'm a mess and I still don't think I'm good enough for him, I want to date him. I haven't managed to scare him off with my panic attacks...
174K 5.1K 75
Marc Williams started having some financial problems after his dad's job was cut short, he decided to get a part time job where someone gives him a l...
808K 41.6K 45
Elijah Rosen, an introverted seventeen year old with a love for football, sneaks out almost every night to get away from the problems he faces during...