The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 30: The Mark

926 40 1
By MissElleDee

"What?" Duke Calex asked with a deep frown on his still stunning yet currently pale face.

"The Mistress left a mark on Your Grace," Sebas reiterated.

"A mark? The Mistress left me a mark? What does it mean?"

Sebas took a seat but his gleaming dark eyes were not leaving the faint rose symbol at the back of the left hand of the duke. It was as if he was trying to solve a puzzle by staring at it.

"This simply means that the Mistress has put a hook on Your Grace," Sebas said.

"Is this dangerous?" Duke Calex asked. Although he was not certain behind the motives of the mistress when she helped him, Duke Calex still wanted to believe that the mistress meant no harm. Yet, Duke Calex would always choose not to trust anyone in an instant and as much as possible, not to trust anyone at all.

"Your Grace, this could go both ways," Sebas smirked. "First of all, it was unheard that the formidable Mistress of the Wizard Tower ever cared to do something like this to any of the prominent people in this kingdom. Second, her motives are unknown and questionable. Why saved you? After saving you, she brought you back here. So, why is there still a need to leave a mark?" Sebas laid out his thoughts in the open.

"Not to mention, it seemed that she was fully aware of your condition. In the end, she even gave something to Her Grace to help you," he continued.

Estian, who was being quiet all this time, took a step forward as he spoke, "That's right, Your Grace. Even I cannot tell her motives."

"Until then, it is necessary to be fully guarded against the Mistress until we determine whether she is a friend or a foe," Estian continued.

Sebas smirked as he added, "...or both."

Duke Calex threw a sidelong glance at Sebas and Estian.

Both were right. The motives of the Mistress were unknown. Helping the duke didn't necessarily mean that she was on his side. After all, just like what Sebas had said, it was unheard when the Mistress became involved in anything or anyone outside her sphere of influence.

Thus, Duke Calex knew exactly what his two trusted subordinates meant.

But there was one thing he was curious about.

"Will this mark be able to affect me directly?" Duke Calex asked.

"Like what I said, Your Grace, this mark could mean both. It could bring you danger or protection. It all depends on the motives of the Mistress," said Sebas. "However, if Your Grace is asking about any direct effect of the mark, that is, the aura of the Mistress is now visibly surrounding you and is with Your Grace," Sebas continued.

Seeing the unchanging frown on the duke's face, Sebas sighed in exasperation. Why was it that he had to explain to this person who was not really interested in anything about magic?

"Your Grace, this mark means that the Mistress had put a hook on you and her aura is one with you. Wherever Your Grace goes, her aura could also be traced back to where you went to. The Mistress could also know your every move and word whenever she wanted to. That is if she had this motive from the very beginning. At the same time, if the Mistress meant no harm at all, through her mark, she would be able to help Your Grace from sudden danger should you need protection," Sebas further explained.

Both Duke Calex and Estian were dumbfounded. It was evident on their expression that they had never heard of such a thing, especially the duke who was one of the most informed people in the kingdom.

This was in line with what Sebas had said. What the Mistress did was truly unheard of. At least in the Hartize Kingdom, that was for sure.

A person bearing the mark of a wizard?

Once a wizard saw any mark of another wizard, it could only mean one thing - a formidable wizard made that mark. For wizards knew that for one to be able to execute such a move, one must attain at least the pinnacle of the Master Rank as a wizard.

How much more when they saw the rose mark? No wizard could not know what a rose symbol meant. The rose symbol was solely for the Mistress of the formidable Blue Ray Wizard Tower. It was because, no matter what rank a wizard has, one should had to had a symbol of his own as an identification. Thus, almost every wizard knew that the rose symbol was none other than from the Mistress, the incomparable wizardess of the Hartize Kingdom.

Thinking about this, Sebas was broken-hearted. With his current level, it was not possible for him to execute such a move.

If only he had enough time to practice, he would not be too far anymore to reach that rank.

Alas, in the end, being with the diligent and sedulous duke, Sebas could not even drink a cup of tea after rushing nonstop from who knows where. How much more to have enough time to practice. Sigh, Sebas could only wish with his whole heart.

Silence once again fell in the room.

It was only after a few minutes that the duke opened his mouth to speak.

"If that's the case, there was nothing else we could do. For now, just like Estian had said, we will stay guarded and observe," said the duke as he leaned against the headboard of the bed. He was already in a weakened state and being stirred up even more made his already depleted energy further decrease. "But whether the Mistress has an ulterior motive, the fact that she saved me from that night of danger was of certainty. We have to do something to show our appreciation of her kindness," Duke Calex continued.

Sebas and Estian knew that the duke was already on his limit as they saw his complexion turning paler.

"That, of course, is a must. Well, Your Grace doesn't have to do anything about this. Estian and I will do what is needed to be done," said Sebas.

"For now, we suggest that Your Grace recuperate to regain your strength. Only then we can proceed with everything," said Estian.

Sebas stood up from his seat. "As for Her Grace, I will also examine her. Whether the Mistress left another mark on Her Grace or not, I will report back to you once I ascertain it," he said.

Duke Calex nodded. "Alright. Both of you can go now."

"Then, we will leave first," Sebas said as he turned away and exited the room.

"Rest well then, Your Grace," Estian followed after a bow to the duke.

Only Duke Calex was left behind inside the white room. With only the dim light and the still silence, the room appeared cold and bleak.

Finally...

Duke Calex laid down back on the bed. He sighed as he felt helpless whenever his weakened state was exhausting even his mental strength.

In the end, the duke's consciousness didn't stay for too long. He drifted back to sleep on that night.

The next day.

It was another sunny day.

Estian quietly escorted Atallie to the duke's inner chamber, the secret white room.

Inside the white room, the duke was casually leaning against the white couch with golden rim. A delicate and fragrant tea was prepared at the table together with some sweet delicacies.

Duke Calex was half squinting as if anytime he would soon fall asleep. The bright rays of the sun was reflecting against the white marble floor, emitting a soft glow which was projecting on the duke's entire frame, giving him a natural spotlight as if highlighting his sharp and stunning angles and well-toned body that could not be hidden under the casual white shirt in which the first three buttons were left undone.

When the door opened, this was what Atallie exactly saw. She was slightly taken aback by the splendor of the duke. Although the duke's face was still pale and his lips were still quite dry, the duke's stunning appearance could not be masked even for a bit. He was exuding pheromones and his charisma didn't even decrease.

Atallie realized how impressive the duke's appearance truly was.

"Your Grace, Her Grace is here," Estian spoke, breaking the serene silence in the room.

Duke Calex slowly turned towards Estian but his sharp and penetrating gaze landed straight at Atallie.

A magnetic and seductive smile appeared on his lips as he said, "You're here. Take a seat, my wife."

Atallie, without waiting any longer, walked towards the couch where the duke was seated. She sat down right beside the duke instead of taking a seat at the couch across the duke.

Duke Calex's smile became stiff seeing Atallie nonchalantly took a seat right next to him. Even Estian was astounded. He even had to gulp as he quietly excused himself and exited the room, leaving the duke and the duchess alone.

"Please help yourself," Duke Calex said as he gestured towards the luxurious tea and delicacies at the table.

Atallie just briefly glanced at the food on the table. Her long eyelashes fluttered as her amber eyes darted towards the duke. "How are you doing now?" she asked.

Duke Calex's hand which was about to pick up his teacup slightly trembled at Atallie's sudden question.

It was clear that the duke didn't expect to hear it from the duchess. He was displaying his usual charismatic self and flashing his stunning smile, yet the duchess didn't retort against him but instead asked how he was doing now.

Duke Calex turned towards Atallie. His initial unscrupulous smile has lessened but a faint smile was now playing on his pale yet still sexy lips.

"I am delighted to see your concern towards me, my wife," Duke Calex said.

Atallie's cold yet sharp amber eyes met with the duke's unfathomable and deep dark eyes.

"That is, because, I'm your wife, duke," Atallie calmly replied. Her gentle yet monotonous voice seemed to reverberate throughout the entire room and even into the stone-cold and hard heart of the duke.

With a gulp, Duke Calex could not believe why the duchess had gone from being nonchalant to almost a seemingly caring wife.

"Of course, you are," said the duke.

Atallie's amber eyes slowly and thoroughly skimmed the duke from head to toe, as if really checking out how the duke was doing.

Being stared at and looked at from head to toe made the manly and hard duke to felt a bit uneasy. Those cold and emotionless amber eyes of the duchess somehow felt like scorching fire as they skimmed through from head to toe.

This woman...

Why is she making me feel...

Not sure what was going on, Duke Calex became a little irritated from what he was currently feeling, as he cut off the duchess, "I'm recovering well, thanks to my wife's concern," he said.

Atallie stopped looking all over the duke but her eyes remained fixated at the duke's face as she once again made eye contact with the duke.

"If that's the case, then I'm finally relieved. The gift of the Mistress was truly of good help," Atallie said.

Duke Calex was still a bit disturbed from what he was feeling. But upon hearing the words of the duchess, his rationality reared back and reminded him of the reason why he called for the duchess.

"It seems to be the case. But I am truly wondering, my wife, what is it that the Mistress gave to you?" he asked.

Atallie turned away from the duke as she gently pick up her teacup and put it close to her nose to smell its aroma. Then, she said, "I am certain that the duke had already been informed about this matter, am I right? And that is all the same that I could share with the duke."

"You mean the way of the Mistress could not be disclosed even to me?" Duke Calex asked.

Finally, she took a sip from her cup and placed it back on the table.
"Yes, duke. And I suggest that you don't ponder about it for a long time. I would also like to tell you that you must not doubt the Mistress. Although it was only but a time when I met her, I see no malice in her actions towards you," said Atallie.

Silence reigned between the two. Duke Calex remained quiet and still as he think about what the duchess has said. Meanwhile, the duchess took her time to finish her tea and even took a few bites from the variety of delicacies prepared.

After a few minutes, Duke Calex snapped back to his senses and saw Atallie enjoying the sweet desserts and delicacies along with the tea. There was no emotion on her face, yet for some reason, in the duke's eyes, the sweetness of the food prepared and even the aroma of the tea made the duchess appear adorable and sweet in the eyes.

Unknowingly, a faint smile appeared on his lips. But before it could even last for a few seconds, it quickly vanished as the duke realized it too quickly.

"If that's the case, then, I would listen to my wife," said Duke Calex. His charismatic and seductive smile appeared once again. "I would also like to personally thank you for taking care of me when I was still unconscious. I heard from Estian and Leonor that you remained by my side throughout the ordeal," he continued.

Atallie turned back towards the duke. Once again, their eyes met. And although one was impassive and one was smiling like a fox, if one would look closely into their eyes, one could see a subtle glow underneath those orbs of amber and black eyes.

Atallie almost raised her eyebrow upon hearing the duke's words.

In the end, she could only repeat the words which she had spoken a while ago, but this time, she added something to them.

"That is, because, I'm your wife, duke," Atallie said.

"I am your duchess and there is no one else," she added.

______

A/n: Merry Christmas, everyone! And Happy holidays! \(^•^)/

I know it took me quite a while to update. But you see, it's because there's a lot of events and I've also been busy. Even this week, I have to report back to work on-site even when the New Year is approaching. But anyway, that's real life and adulting for me haha ~

I would also like to thank everyone for continuous support for this story. You don't know how happy I am for the increasing reads! And although if it would be compared to other stories, the amount is not really that much, but for me, it's already enough to know that there are a few out there who enjoy reading this story :) So please, continue to support this story by reading, voting, and even commenting. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my humble writer's heart.

That will be all for now. I still need to wake up early in the morning then travel again haha.

See you on the next chapter!

If I will have enough time to write, I'll do my best to update another chapter before this year 2021 ends.

Until then ~

Ciao!

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
761K 32.9K 60
"Let them go, Dante." I whip my head to see a small boy standing the clearing with blonde hair and a green cloak hanging from shoulders. He isn't ve...
1.4K 3 47
I have always been a hopeless romantic, always daydreaming of my prince charming to come, sweep me off my feet and we would ride off into the sunset...
113 0 15
HEARTS, beings with humanoid forms that have powerful magic power. The stronger these beings are, the stronger the kingdoms that own them become...