Glass Eye (Eyeless Jack X Rea...

By extravagant_meatball

Breaking news is typically a term used to accentuate the severity of a set situation or event; socially, the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter 44
Author's Note/ Sequel Update
Unholy Matrimony
Hurricane Ian.
Update!
MINI UPDATE
Eh
Little Things
Little Things pt 2
GET EXCITED

Chapter Three

6.5K 176 172
By extravagant_meatball

We had already had our sights on the dapper businessman for a while. He had a few things we were in need of. He had a working vehicle that needed minimal repairs, he had a valid driver's license and he had access to money. And lots of it.

I wasn't lucky enough to be able to participate in the failure of a robbery, but one of my close associates was.
It was a complete and utter loss. We wasted time, we wasted valuable resources we really couldn't afford to waste, and we attracted attention to something that could have gone unnoticed should we have had someone more experienced on the field that day.

It was always the same team that just couldn't quite get it together enough to operate functionally. Whenever they were assigned, it always went wrong.

Now we had to worry about statements and investigations. Heat would never stay on us for long, but it was fairly annoying.

I sat on the railing of the old off-white house. Even if it wasn't impressive from the outside, you had to appreciate the antiquity surrounding it. The house had been built sometime in the late 1820s, and definitely had the old and decrepit feel to it. I had called this place home for as long as I could remember, so maybe that's why it was so easy for me to appreciate it. It's the only place I have left.

Though I may not get along with all of it's inhabitants, I always found my way back.

'You are needed in the Conversation Room'.

The booming voice echoed through my skull, blocking all and any other thoughts I may have had. When He called, I had no choice but to answer.

I made my way through the front door, listening to the squeaking of the hinges as they begged to be oiled.

'Maybe I could find time to fix that..'

The large staircase greeted me as I shut the door behind me, but I couldn't retreat to my bedroom upstairs yet. There was serious business to attend to. I highly doubt that He hadn't heard the news yet, and if He hadn't, He must have just found out.

'Now.'

The voice was demanding and urgent this time. He must have found out about the Marble Hornet's little excursion. This should be entertaining, if not a little terrifying.

I didn't pay too much attention to my surroundings as I hustled into the Conversation Room.

'Ah, my most trusted associate. Sit'.

He didn't need to speak with human words. He had such a deep hook in all of us that He could communicate telepathically and directly. It made things easier for Him and eradicated the issue of misheard communication between associates.

I could hear the quickening of Tim's heart beat from where I sat across the room; the punishment for what had happened on the field would befall him being as he was the leader of The Marble Hornets.

"Why did Jack have to sit in for this?"

I didn't bother looking in his direction. I didn't particularly care for Toby Rogers, the most useless addition to The Marble Hornets in a good, long while. I didn't speak to him without strong reason and would actively avoid him.

'He does what I ask of him unlike you, Tobias. If you asked less questions and kept your mouth shut more, maybe you'd  finally prove your worth'.

I had to stifle back a chuckle, to which Toby pushed back his chair and stood, snarling. I followed the motion, knowing he wouldn't dare challenge me, and braced before him. He was nowhere as fast as I was, and that was proven when before he could even finish a breath I was already in front of him ready to strike. He hadn't been through the tedious and excessive training like I had. I was a seasoned veteran, he was an uneducated fool.

'If you wish to strike Jack, be my guest. When he kills you, only idiots will mourn you'.

I could hear his heart racing in his chest. He knew he had to back down, that or be slaughtered. I wouldn't be nice to him or easy on him just because he was a kid. If you found it hard to respect the seasoned in this kind of trade, maybe it was in your best interest to resign before you got buried.

'Make your choice quickly or be seated, I don't have time to spare for your foolish games'.

He huffed and sauntered over to his seat, obviously in a tizzy because he was told what to do. What a childish being. He can't even handle simple assignments, then has the nerve to exhibit an attitude. Tim and Brian were almost overqualified for such a simple assignment; steal the businessman's laptop and wire our Operation a hundred thousand dollars. Yet, having to babysit Toby held them back tremendously. He was always trying to prove himself, and while it's a nice sentiment, during an important assignment isn't the time nor place for it. 

'You have yet again brought failure and embarrassment upon your teammates. What say you'?

It was surprising that Toby was being held accountable for his own actions this time.

"I-I," Toby's head jerked violently to the side, his neck producing a cracking sound. "I m-m-miscalculated how strong our t-t-target would be, that's a-all."

Tim shifted in his seat, propping one of his elbows on his knee as he pressed two fingers against his temple with his other hand.

"Toby, you fucked up. You always fuck up. We wasted a shit ton of shit with nothing to fucking show for it. You ought to be put out on your own jobs just to pay us a fucking babysitting fee,"

If Toby's eyes were visible under his tinted goggles, he would have been wide-eyed. It was rare that Tim would display such language in front of Him, but he had visibly had enough of Toby's antics.

'Now  that is an idea. Toby, from now on you are suspended from group duties and will be assigned individual missions. Is that clear?'

He shoved his chair back hard enough to where it fell, and stormed out of the room.

"I guess he doesn't care to take responsibility for his own actions," I commented.

Brian chuckled, raising his hand to cover his mouth to hide his laugh. His face was completely hidden behind his fabric mask, so the notion made it even more humorous.

"I mean, it's been a pain in the fucking ass trying to constantly watch him. We always develop a plan before we go, and once we get on site, it's like he doesn't fucking remember a fucking thing. He always tries to lead when he can't even follow correctly."

I snickered, pulling my mask up just enough to show my mouth. Sometimes the thick plastic made it hard for others to properly hear me.

"It's been years and he still serves no purpose other than causing frustration and embarrassment for anyone he works with."

Tim nodded, running his hands through his hair as if he were stressed. I would be stressed too if my team was constantly in the weeds due to one person's incompetence.

'Jack. I've called you here for a greater purpose than to degrade another'.

It was my turn to feel embarrassed. Speaking in front of Him in such a way was generally considered disrespectful.

"My apologies, sir," I adjusted my mask back into it's proper place. "What have you called me in for?"

'You are being assigned your last mission from me. Though you have served me well and dutifully for many years, your time with me is almost up. I have trained you with my best proxies, and then trained you myself. I trust you will always uphold my values when you leave.'

I had nearly forgotten about the contract all those years ago. He would house me and teach me the extent of my abilities if I served him and his proxies. I would assist them on missions, then when he realized I had become too skillful to be working in pairs or groups, I would take entire missions on my own. 

I protected Him and His proxies, and in turn He taught me how to survive.

"There would be no greater honor, sir," I nodded toward him.

'The man had a partner, (Name) (Last Name). As you know, we have connections inside the (Town/City Name) police department. They graciously informed us that she has been questioned, and seems to know about access to the money on the laptop. Toby proved himself inadequate when instead of grabbing the laptop before the police arrived on scene, he focused on finishing the man. We have a plan in place for you to acquire the laptop, so do not worry about that. You are to send a hundred thousand dollars from his company account to us once you have it.'

"How am I to send it to the Operation?" There would be no way for any of us to open a bank account to transfer that money to, and even if we could, it would be questioned. Police weren't dumb, and though we had allies in the department, not even they would be able to stop such an investigation without looking suspicious themselves. The police would check the date of the transfer, the account number of the business, then trace it to the wiring number on the receiving account. Suspicion and investigation were major pet peeves of mine, and should be avoided at all costs in a 'career' like this anyway.

'Our trusted associate Ben has created an encrypted account belonging to (Name). You will wire the money to this account, and coerce her into withdrawing the money under the premise that it's for her fiancé's funeral. Do you understand'?

I nodded. My very last mission.

I felt saddened for a split second. I would soon be leaving the home I've known for many years, yet gaining a freedom I haven't had in just as long. I would be left to my own devices. Left to do anything and everything I wanted to do. I could travel, I could live in my own home, I could 'acquire' a vehicle. I could slaughter an entire town if I wanted to, and nothing could stop me. 

One more assignment, and I would no longer be 'Eyeless Jack', a child of the proxy tamer. I would no longer be an inhabitant of a mansion long abandoned, holding more history than the towns museum. I would no longer have a set course to follow. And elicited an emotion from me I wasn't familiar with. Fear.

What would I do? With abundance at my fingertips and freedom outfitting me, why did I still feel deprived and naked?

"Where will I take her? I can't keep her in town once I've taken her, especially if police have already interviewed her. If she goes missing now, it will look like she's on the run,"

'I called in a few favors from my proxies and they built a residence for you not but five miles North of the mansion. It's quaint, but it was built by hand by your colleagues despite how busy each and every one them has been. Jeff was especially elated to take place in the construction, and he left a gift for you in there. He specifically asked me to tell you that this 'gift' is from him.'

I rose from my seat, smoothing my jeans with my palms.

"Then I suppose it's time to get to work then,"

-- What is this, like, chapter three? You're still here? Oh that's exciting! Here's a jolly rancher wrapper and a puff of my Novo3 for the road. And, as always, if you're going to Meatball(which I spelled incorrectly in the previous chapter,) do it Extravagantly.--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Damaged By keycia12

General Fiction

3.1K 255 26
A girl that has been passed around from home to home, When she discovers the truth about her family will it break her or make her?
763 115 15
Every love story begins when two people meet and ends when they separate. But their love story ended the day they met because it was their destiny to...
3.6K 454 50
ser·en·dip·i·ty serənˈdipədē/ -noun the occurrence of an event that comes out to be a benefit or happy surprise A girl who didn't believe in love a...
The Out Crowd By Rae

Teen Fiction

73.3K 4.1K 47
The truth may hurt, but lies kill.