Chapter Thirty-Five

** Death, mentions of stalking, mentions of horrible backstories. Read at your own discretion.**

Silent. Always silent. Always watching from the shadows, close enough to be seen yet funnily enough, never seen anyway. I had perfected the art of melting into the shadows, becoming one with the darkness and companion only to observation.

I watched as Toby dragged Tim's unconscious form into the desolate mansion. I watched as (Name) directly hit Jeff in the face with enough mace to ward off an adult bear.

And as I watched, I snickered to myself. If he would have just listened.

Tim was by far not the brightest; he much too often would act on pure impulse rather than logical deduction. He could be, for lack of better terms, a complete asshole. He could be cruel, unforgiving, irrational, excessively violent. His vocabulary was less than couth and his hands seemed to react before his brain ever had the chance.

But above everything else, he was my partner. More than a partner; Tim had become my brother. Not related by blood, but having saved each other's lives more than handful of times accounted for it. He would run his mouth to me for hours on end about all the ways my existence tainted his life, but at the end of the day, he would defend me with everything he had. And I knew that.

But watching him fall victim to the eyelash batting of some irrelevant hostage belonging to none other than Eyeless Jack was extremely entertaining, and provided me with some ammunition of my own to relentlessly tease him with later on. 

I watched as Toby unceremoniously dumped Tim just beyond the threshold of the front door, then making a mad-dash to the screaming Jeffrey.

I made sure to take note of that, as proxies were not meant to be fraternizing with associates unless it was in regards to business. Friendships lead to alliances, and alliances lead to unnecessary death. I'd hate to see the kid go, but if the boss ordered it, it would be done without hesitation. 

I didn't care much for Toby, and from what I had been able to hear from the others, I definitely wasn't the only one. He wasn't useless; the kid could throw his twin hatchets with lethal precision, and should both his hatchets be out of order, his combat skills made up for it. He was a force to be reckoned with, but he often let his emotions take reign of him, occasionally hearing some sort of music when he got really pissed off. He had claimed to be emotionless multiple times, but having to make the claim more than once showed me all I needed to be shown. He was just a kid, and because of that fact, I sympathized with him.

I was just a kid when it all happened, too. It was terrifying at first; no amount of conditioning would get rid of those terrible memories. He had targeted us, two kids just trying to survive the awkwardness of ending high school and going to college. There was nothing special about us; we were two average guys with a small circle of friends and an even smaller knowledge of what we were going to do next. And, back then, I had thought about why he had chose us quite a bit. Why me? Why Tim?

But I really should have been asking why not us? The answers had always been in my questions; we had a very little list of friends, a small circle that wouldn't really raise too much concern if we were to go missing one day. And an even smaller knowledge of what we were going to do next. We had discussed with our very small friend group our ideas of leaving and going to college out of state or even out of country. We didn't know where we wanted to go, but we were restless; we were teenagers overrun with angst and unfounded hatred for our little town.

Tim and I ended up seeing a lot more of the world than we had ever bargained for.

I shook my head slightly to jumble the reminiscing and made my way from my bedroom to where Tim had been left. I had seen Toby yell something about the girl at Jeff, and then hurriedly take off into the woods just before I had turned away from the unassuming window. Such a perfect location my room was; if I looked out my window, I was able to see nearly the entire driveway and  front lawn, yet if you were standing in the front lawn or driveway, you'd never be able to see the window.