Chapter Three

We had already had our sights on the dapper businessman for a while. He had a few things we were in need of. He had a working vehicle that needed minimal repairs, he had a valid driver's license and he had access to money. And lots of it.

I wasn't lucky enough to be able to participate in the failure of a robbery, but one of my close associates was.
It was a complete and utter loss. We wasted time, we wasted valuable resources we really couldn't afford to waste, and we attracted attention to something that could have gone unnoticed should we have had someone more experienced on the field that day.

It was always the same team that just couldn't quite get it together enough to operate functionally. Whenever they were assigned, it always went wrong.

Now we had to worry about statements and investigations. Heat would never stay on us for long, but it was fairly annoying.

I sat on the railing of the old off-white house. Even if it wasn't impressive from the outside, you had to appreciate the antiquity surrounding it. The house had been built sometime in the late 1820s, and definitely had the old and decrepit feel to it. I had called this place home for as long as I could remember, so maybe that's why it was so easy for me to appreciate it. It's the only place I have left.

Though I may not get along with all of it's inhabitants, I always found my way back.

'You are needed in the Conversation Room'.

The booming voice echoed through my skull, blocking all and any other thoughts I may have had. When He called, I had no choice but to answer.

I made my way through the front door, listening to the squeaking of the hinges as they begged to be oiled.

'Maybe I could find time to fix that..'

The large staircase greeted me as I shut the door behind me, but I couldn't retreat to my bedroom upstairs yet. There was serious business to attend to. I highly doubt that He hadn't heard the news yet, and if He hadn't, He must have just found out.

'Now.'

The voice was demanding and urgent this time. He must have found out about the Marble Hornet's little excursion. This should be entertaining, if not a little terrifying.

I didn't pay too much attention to my surroundings as I hustled into the Conversation Room.

'Ah, my most trusted associate. Sit'.

He didn't need to speak with human words. He had such a deep hook in all of us that He could communicate telepathically and directly. It made things easier for Him and eradicated the issue of misheard communication between associates.

I could hear the quickening of Tim's heart beat from where I sat across the room; the punishment for what had happened on the field would befall him being as he was the leader of The Marble Hornets.

"Why did Jack have to sit in for this?"

I didn't bother looking in his direction. I didn't particularly care for Toby Rogers, the most useless addition to The Marble Hornets in a good, long while. I didn't speak to him without strong reason and would actively avoid him.

'He does what I ask of him unlike you, Tobias. If you asked less questions and kept your mouth shut more, maybe you'd  finally prove your worth'.

I had to stifle back a chuckle, to which Toby pushed back his chair and stood, snarling. I followed the motion, knowing he wouldn't dare challenge me, and braced before him. He was nowhere as fast as I was, and that was proven when before he could even finish a breath I was already in front of him ready to strike. He hadn't been through the tedious and excessive training like I had. I was a seasoned veteran, he was an uneducated fool.