Karna-The legendary ruler

By vikramdey

Karna, a demigod, a mortal, a son, a brother and a good king. Karna the man who can go to any extent to... More

Prologue
New place, new life
Tragedies struck again
Revenge or Justice
A new journey
Meeting Lord Parshuram
Past (I)
Past(II) and new resolution
Making of a warrior
Princess Madanmanjari
Curse
Who am I?
Aditya- the savior
Fight for justice (I)
Sneak peek
Fight for justice (II)
Announcement
Attack on Magadh
Karna's strategy
Flashback 1
Flashback 2
Radheya vs Magadhraj
Judgment delivered (I)
Judgment delivered (II)
Next step
Love or Infatuation?
Daanveer
Banga Vijay
Characters (I)
Characters (II)
Journey to home
The man with the broken heart
Hastinapur's reaction- new conspiracies
Broken trust
New bond
Radheya Vansh
Varnavart
Rukmini Haran
Teaser
Yagnaseni-boon or curse
New Book
The aftermath of the swyamvar
Division of Hastinapur
Marriage proposal
Pain, conspiracy and loyalty
Marriage and disaster
Maha Rajyaabhishek

Most awaited revenge?

3.4K 166 33
By vikramdey

Magadha border, evening

Karna was standing in front of the river Ganges at the border. From his spies, he came to know that Hastinapur army was coming along with their allies. Karna knew that he was strong and had many divyasatras but Bheesm was also no less. He needed to use his entire knowledge and strengths to fight his opponent who could go toe to toe with the incarnation of Vishnu himself. But the main thing that worried him most was his mens' safety. Hastinapur was coming with a large army and his men were believing in him. It was his responsibility, he taught them to fight, to protest against injustice. Now they had to fight against their biggest foe, Bheesma and Hastinapur. He knew that Bheesm was a great strategist and warrior, they also had advantages over them by their number. The only upper hand Magadha had on them was their knowledge of the terrain. Karna was thinking, 'To fight with Hastinapur without losing too much of my people, I need Dwarka's help.But they did not send us any information about their help. Both Magadha and Hastinapur were almost equally powerful and we cannot win over each other completely without losing too much of their men or resources. But for me, my men were most precious while for Hastinapur their pride was most important for them. So they will not stop until they completely destroy us. How am I going to save them...?'Suddenly he heard a screeching sound and an eagle came and sat on his shoulder. Karna was shocked and saw that a letter was tied to his feet. Karna opened the letter and read the content.

Later, Magadha camp,

Karna called all his ministers and warriors,

Karna, 'Look Hastinapur army will reach the border today afternoon. Their soldiers will be tired so they will not attack us today.'

Eklavya, 'Then we should attack them soon.'

Karna, 'No we not. We shall wait for them on the uphill. As we will on the top of the hill, then we have advantages over them, We can easily use our archers to stop them from proceeding further.'

Gajraj, 'But for how long we are going to sop them?'

Karna, 'Just for a day.'

Vikramjit, 'Maharaj, we all have full faith in you but what are you trying to do?'

Vishnugupt, 'I think I know what you are trying to do Maharaj.'

Karna just smiled and said, 'Just wait you yourself will see.'

Next day, Magadha Border,

Both the army was ready to fight. Hastinapur army was ready to attack while Magadha army was gathered on an uphill where they formed a 'half moon' Vyuh. After Shanknaad, the Hastinapur army marched towards to Magadha but to their astonishment, Magadha army was not moving but held their ground. When HP army reached near the uphill suddenly they heard a Shankhnaad and then thousands of arrows were showered on them. Bheesm was shocked due to the sudden attack as this type to attack. According to his spies, till now the new king of Magadha used Tribal warfare and guerrilla attack to defeat them. So Bheesm thought that they might not be able to fight in the open field. But seeing the Vyuh and his war strategy he realized that the new king had good knowledge in strategies and warfare. But still, he had more soldiers which would be beneficial for him. Also he was Gangaputra Bheesm, even Lord Parshuram could not defeat him. So he could defeat that Adharmi Suta king. So he ordered the soldiers to use their shields to cover themselves and attack. So the soldiers used the shields and started climbing to the hill. But suddenly the Magadha army started rolling burning logs and threw hot waters  to the HP army. The fire and scorching liquids burned the soldiers. Bheesm took his bow and release agnivaan to the soldiers but then another arrow came towards him and nullify his weapon. To his surprise, someone launched Varunvaan to destroy his weapons. HP army continuously tried to breach Magadha armies Vyuh but the disciplined Magadha army was not moving an inch. Today HP army was fighting for victory which had nothing to do with them. They were just soldiers who got money from the king, so they were fighting for him. But the Magadha army was fighting for their independence, their freedom, their honor. So they did not leave an inch of their soil to those invaders. This continued for an entire day and then the sun set so they had to stop the fight.

HP camp,

Prince of Koshol Dilip who came with HP army as an allied prince said, 'I have never seen such a war strategy, we could not even move an inch to their position.'

Bheesm, 'They were taking the advantage of their terrain. Otherwise, we could have destroyed them.'

Surya, the Senapati of Mahismati said, 'But Mahamahim, why did they are not attacking?'

Dilip, 'Maybe they are scared of us.'

Bheesm, 'No, it seems like they were waiting for something, but what? Noone in the Aryavart will go against us and fight with a Sut and tribals. Tomorrow we will use our full force. Today I have used Trishul Vyuh to fight from three sides, but tomorrow I will use spear Vyuh to break the middle part of their vyuh. I will use our entire army at the middle to cut through the Magadha army.'

ULUka, a son of Shakuni 'But Mahamahim, it will make our both side vulnerable.'

Bheesm, 'So what, the enemies are only present in out front. There is no one who can attack us from the sides.'

Uluka, 'Mahamahim, we should not underestimate the Magadha king. I think he is a military genius.'

Dilip, 'I have no idea that the prince of Gandher is so cowerd. You are scared of a Sut? A Sut can never be a genius. They are slaves and always remain below our feet.'

Uluka thought, 'I am not coward. I am just intelligent enough to see through their strategy. They are definitely waiting for someone or something but what. Today they just stalled our advance. But tomorrow they will definitely do something.'

Next day,

Again Magadha army was defending their vyuh while Bheesm made a spear Vyuh and trying to use full force to break their vyuh. He himself also used many celestial weapons but somehow someone was countering his every attack on the army. So frustrated Bheesm ordered to march in full speed to attack the opponent. He called all the soldiers from the sides who were defending the middle part to gather at the middle and attack.

Vishnugupt was sitting on an elephant and was watching the war. Eklavya came and said, 'Minister, the enemy is making a spear Vyuh to attack us. We should also bring all our soldiers in the middle.'

Vishnugupt, 'Eklavya, you may be a great warrior but a complete novice in war strategy. If we do that our sides will be weakened. Look our archers are killing the soldiers using the advantage of our position. Listen to the Shanknaad, it is a sign that Maharaj is calling our best warriors who were waiting behind, to come to the front. The HP soldiers who could save themselves from the arrows and can climb to the hill now have to face the new warriors. The HP army will be tired after climbing the hill while our soldiers are still energetic as till now they did not take part in the war. Great Maharaj! you are really the student of Parshuram and Viswamitra.'

Eklavya, 'But minister how long shall we wait?'

Vishnugupt, 'Though Maharaj did not tell us but I think I know for whom he is stalling the war.'

Bheesm was watching the war, he was stunned to see the opponent's strategy but still, he could not accept defeat. Suddenly a soldier rushed towards him and said, 'Mahamahim, a new army was coming from behind.'

Bheesm, 'WHAT?' He looked behind and saw a huge army was rushing towards them. He looked and saw they had the flag of Dwarka. 

Bheesm, 'Who called Dwarka? We did not inform them of anything.... Maybe Kunti asked for their help.'

But to his shock, Dwarka army attacked them. On the other hand, Karna roared, 'Charge....kill them.'

 Both Magadha and Dwarka armies attacked HP soldiers from both sides. HP army was overwhelmed. Bheesm fought valiantly but then Karna came in front of him.

Bheesm, 'You Adharmi, today I am not going to spare you.'

Karna, 'Come on, I am waiting for you.'

Both Karna and Bheesm fought valiantly. Both of them were using celestial weapons but Bheesm was in awe that the opponent was an exceptional warrior. Karna was deflecting all his weapons. While Karna also realized that Bheesm was really a legendary warrior. But he was also one of the best students of Lord Parshuram and Viswamitra. Bheesm at last launched Brahmmastra and before Karna could counter the weapon reached to him. The Magadha warriors shouted, 'Maharaj,' but to everyones' surprise a golden light crept over Karna's body and a golden armor appeared on him. Brhammastra reached to him but it was engulfed by the armor. Karna just smiled and said, 'My turn', and he launched Pashastra to bind him. Bheesm was so shocked to see the magical armor that he could not react at first. The brightness and radiance of the armor blinded him also. So before he could react he was tied by the Pash. Karna was also very tired as he also fought for a long time and used his energy to counter Bheesm's strong weapons. 

While on the other side, both Dilip and Surya were great warriors. They fought bravely with the Senapati of the Dwarka. The Senapati was a skilled warrior who beat those two warriors like a petty ragdoll in a sword fight. The Senapati of Dwarka was a legendary swordmaster and a sibling of Dwarkadhish himself. Till now no one knew his name or had seen him as he always covered his face with a helmet but everyone knew that in the entire Aryavart there were very few who could defeat him in a duel. The Senapati easily defeated both Dilip and Surya while the HP army was completely defeated. Both Eklavya and Gajraj rushed towards Karna who sat on the ground because of exhaustion. His Kavach engulfed the Brhammastra and he had to use his inner strength to raise the power of his shield by many folds. Karna somehow stood up and took his sword. He almost was going to behead Bheesm but then suddenly someone held his hand.

Everyone saw that a man stopped Karna by holding his hand. Even in the battlefield, he did not ware any armor but a stark yellow dhoti and Angvastra. He had dark complexion, asht-ratni body and his divinity was seen to all. He was none other than....

Karna cried, 'Madhav!'

Krishna, 'Yes, my friend, Dwarkadhish Shri Krishna to all and Madhav to you. Karna, don't kill him now. Look the sun has already set. It is not Dharm to kill an enemy after sunset. Take him and everyone as a prisoner. Tomorrow you can decide what to do.'

Karna wanted to protest but he knew Madhav was right. So he ordered his men to take all the prisoners to Magadha camp.

Magadha camp,

Karna sat alone in his tent. He wanted to comprehend that he was so close to his goal now. He wanted to kill Bheesm and threw his body to Ganga river. He was also shocked to see his friend Madhav as the legendary Dwarkadhish. Yes, he had seen Vishnu himself but he had no idea that his childhood friend was the Avatar of Vishnu himself. He asked Vishnugupt to take care of Dwarka army and their King the senapati, after all, they were his guests. But he himself was in great turmoil. He did not want to wait and just wanted to punish Bheesm. To calm himself he decided to go to the bank of Ganga. 

Magadha border, bank of Ganga, evening

Karna was standing knee-deep on the water of Ganga looking at the sky. Karna, 'Tomorrow is the biggest day for me. At last, I can give my brother salvation and justice to my parents. But Bheesm has the boon of Icchamrityu...whatever I don't care...I can injure him in such a way that he cannot fight anymore. Then in front of him, I will kill those who held dear.' Suddenly he heard, 'I need some alms, my son, will you please grant the wish of this poor mother?'

Karna looked up and saw a woman was standing there. Though she looked dejected and pale but had a divine aura.

Karna, 'Yes my lady, what do you want?'

the woman, 'My son, I need something from you, please don't deny me.'

Karna, 'I can only give you something which is in accordance with Dharm. Tell me Devi what do you want.'

The women, 'Maharaj, I have a son, but his life is in grave danger. Please I am asking you to save him.'

Karna, 'What is your son's name?'

The woman, 'I have heard that you are a great warrior. You have saved many people. So do you always ask the names of the person before saving them?'

Karna, 'Devi I am asking this question because I am smelling a conspiracy from you. You are not an ordinary woman as no woman will come to this battlefield even at this time of the day and I can also detect the divinity in you. My track record with the divine persons was not very pleasant so that is why I am asking who are you and what do you want from me?'

The woman, 'I am Ganga and I am here to request you to leave my son alive. Please don't kill my son. I am begging you.'

Karna, 'What a joke, a Devi is begging in front of a mere human. Don't you feel bad to beg in front of an Adharmi Suta.'

Ganga, 'Plesae my son. You are one of the biggest Dharmagyani after Tridevs as you are fighting for humanity. In fact my son's wrongdoing today came back as you to haunt him. I know you want vengeance for your brother.....'

Karna cut in, 'Not vengeance Devi Ganga, I want justice...justice for all the people who were wronged by your prejudiced son. To make his kingdom superior, he crossed all limits of humanity, so today a common man challenged a Devputra. Please Devi just leave..as now no one can stop me, not even the Tridevs to achieve my goal. For that, if you want to curse me, then go ahead.'

Ganga cried, 'My son...no I am not going to curse you as I know what you are doing is good for this country, but I am a mother and I am helpless for my son.  Please don't kill my son, I am also like a mother to you, I am the one who saved you and took you to your foster parents Adhirath and Radha when your real mother abandoned you. Just for that favor, can you not give me my son's life as a Daan.'

Karna screamed angrily, 'You all Devs and Devis are the same, today when your son's life is in danger then you came here crying for him. Everyone said that you give Moksh to everyone, you never discriminate against anyone then why did you not stop your son when he killed my brother in the name of caste? Why did you not shed tears when your son tarnished a woman's reputation for his royal ego. Where were you when my mother had to see her son's bloodied, mangled body when no one was ready to accompany us to the cremation ground to give my brother a proper last rite for their fear for your son? I have to carry my brother's body in my hands to his pyre, I and my father had to see how everyone had turned against us because of your son. We have to leave everything and were driven out of our own country by your son. At that time no one not even God helped us. So how could you expect me to give you the alm you have asked? Just give me one reason.'

Ganga knew it was almost impossible to save Bheesm and distract Karna she was determined. So she just wept. Karna said, 'Devi, please leave and don't come here again to save your son. Tomorrow I am going to do justice. There is no other way.'

'Karna, ' someone asked from behind. Turning Karna saw Guru Parshuram was standing there.

Parshuram, 'Karna, I want you to defeat Bheesm. But I also want you not to kill him now.'

Karna, 'Gurudev, what are you saying? You know everything but still asking me to leave him. Gurudev, if I lost todayy then your disciple will definitely kill me, so why do you ask only me to spare him.'

Parshuram, 'Karna I will not stop you from taking your revenge, but even if you want you cannot kill him. Yes, you can definitely injure him but in that case, Hastinapur and his allies will again attack you and this kind of turmoil will never be good for your own country. My son, think logically. By sparing Bhhesm you can achieve more for your kingdom.'

Karna (angrily), 'I knew it, all devs are the same. Always sides to those who torture innocents.  No Gurudev, I always obey you but I am not going to spare your beloved student. You know what Gurudev, you are also equally blamed for what Bheesm becomes today. If you punished him the day when he molested Mata Amba's honor, then maybe..maybe Bheesm would redeem himself and turn into a more compassionate and humble person. But no, the great Parshuram who eradicated evil Kshatriyas for 21 times could easily defeat Bheesm but I know that you fought half-heartedly. You didn't even curse him for his sins. Gurudev, you can punish me in any way you want but I am not going to spare Bheesm.'

'No Karna, your Guru in right, ' came Krishna. 'Killing Bheesm and the Kuru princes will not be a justice but it will make you the same person which you hated the most, a tyrant.'

Karna, 'You too Madhav?'

Krishna, 'Karna, you will definitely get your chance of vengeance but don't kill the princes and Bheesm tomorrow.  Karna, now you get the biggest vengeance by defeating them. The proud Kshatriyas were defeated by a mere Sut. And keeping them alive and letting them return to their own kingdom to lick their own wounds will be the biggest punishment for them. Just think for once with a clear head. You can achieve many things for your kingdom as they are all in your clutches now. Think my friend...think like Aditya, the king of Magadha, not Radheya. Karna every work has to be done in a perfect time and today is not the time of your vengeance and Bheesm's death.'

Karna understood what Krishna was trying to say, yes even if he would kill the princes and cripple Bheesm but he could not get the loyalty of HP as the subject could not accept a lower caste as their king. Magadha accepted him as he saved them. So he needed to do something so that in the future the citizens themselves would revolt against the kurus and become loyal to him. He could not get the chance if he killed the princes now. The Pandavas were devputras and Karna knew that it was easy to manipulate people in the name of religion. If he killed them now, it would be considered as a bad omen. But if he let them go with a pact and got something in return from Dhritarashtra for their release, then it would be beneficial for his kingdom and in future, he could get a chance to show the Aryavart that those Pandavas were not as good as everyone thought. Karna was torn between his vengeance and his duty. He just said blankly, 'Dwaradhish, Gurudev, it is late, please go and rest. We will talk about it later.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 5.9K 32
| under major editing | ❝Everything is within the limits of time, but time moves under the direction of the Lord, who is therefore not within time's...
20.3K 1.9K 50
Gruesome circumstances leads Arjun and his Pandav brothers back to their Motherland, Hastinapur under the protection of the royals; only to realize t...
7.3K 305 15
Mahabharat is my favorite story and I believe that every character has something unique to offer. I often see people comparing Karna and Arjun and I...
My life is a Mistake By Priya

Historical Fiction

75.8K 3.1K 20
I have to stop rajmata kunti and pandavas from going varnavat, what happened to duryodhan, why he obeys his mamashree always, this is wrong, and I a...