In My Head

By ACSutliff

Teenage baller Kaden Hastings has a fit when his family moves to California. He can handle the new medical di... More

Part I
Nothing New ~ Kaden
Berkeley High School ~ Logan
Truth and Lies ~ Kaden
Privileges ~Megan
Break and Burn ~ Kaden
TEN YEARS BEFORE THE MOVE ~ Miracle Baby ~ Russell
Headaches and Heartbreaks ~ Kaden
Chain Reactions
Not Identical ~ Sheri
ONE DAY AFTER THE MOVE ~ Epilepsy Center ~ Logan
Side Effects ~ Kaden
Idiopathic ~ Kaden
T.C. ~ Logan
SIX YEARS BEFORE THE MOVE ~ New Kid ~ Kaden
Pick ~ Jake
Trade Places ~ Logan
Friends ~ Kaden
Fighter and Hollow ~ Logan
One Day After the Move ~ Nightmare ~ Kaden
Failed Test ~ Logan
Blanket ~ Kaden
Four Years Before The Move ~ Suck Up ~ Kaden
Traveling ~ Jake
Grounded ~ Kaden
Two Days After the Move ~ Twisted ~ Kaden
Cheer Up ~ Logan
Drama Freaks ~ Kaden
Art Geeks ~ Kaden
Late ~ Logan
Just a Girl ~ Kaden
Good Day ~ Logan
E-mail ~ Kaden
Give and Get ~ Logan
Conditions ~ Kaden
Three Years Before The Move ~ Put Together ~ Russell
Pity Party ~ Jake
Common Ground ~ Logan
Fun ~ Kaden
Two Days After the Move ~ D.D. ~ Megan
Beach House ~ Logan
Confidence ~ Megan
Crash ~ Kaden
Chase ~ Stephanie
Fix ~ Logan
Still Me ~ Kaden
Beer Basketball ~ Logan
Stumble in the Dark ~ Kaden
Lights On ~ Logan
Honor ~ Logan
Tipsy ~ Megan
Contrast ~ Kaden
Part II
One Year Before the Move ~ Break ~ Logan
Cuts ~ Kaden
Obvious Crush ~ Lissa
Taken ~ Kaden
Finally ~ Lissa
The Jerk ~ Kaden
First Date ~ Lissa
Worst First ~ Kaden
Three Days After the Move ~ Hangover ~ Logan
Paranoid Jealousy ~ Kaden
Paranoid Oppression ~ Logan
What's Best ~ Kaden
It Sucks ~ Logan
No Harm ~ Kaden
Going Down ~ Logan
Nine Months Before The Move ~ Changing ~ Kaden
Themes and Motifs ~ Logan
Don't Tell ~ Jake
Ankle Breaker ~ Logan
Make A Difference ~ Logan
Three Days After The Move ~ Battle Scars ~ Kaden
Stitches, Knives, and Jibes ~ Kaden
Hurting or Helping ~ Logan
Point Guard ~ Kaden
Sixth Months Before the Move ~ Black Out ~ Kaden
Saving and Losing ~ Lissa
Secret ~ Jake
Championship Basketball Game ~ Logan
To a Fault ~ Jake
Coma ~ Logan
Induced and Diagnosed ~ Logan
Four Days After the Move ~ Bullied ~ Logan
Getting Permission ~ Kaden
Labels ~ Kaden
Armature ~ Kaden
If ~ Logan
Suicide Bomber ~ Kaden
Possession ~ Logan
~ Art Credits ~

THE MOVE ~ A Change ~ Logan

617 36 247
By ACSutliff

I read the sign and breathe a sigh of relief; we're almost there. I'm so ready to get out of this car. Six hours behind the wheel is a real claustrophobic nightmare. After three hours all I could think about was how I'm breathing in this stale air, and the space inside this car's seriously shrinking.

"This is our exit, Logan." Dad's voice sounds gravelly coming through the wireless radio.

"Finally," I say under my breath as I follow Dad's red Toyota and Mom's white Mazda up the exit ramp, and we slow to a crawl as we merge into gridlock.

The first thing I do is roll my window down.

The second thing I do is check my brother in the passenger seat. His black hair is a mess of loose shaggy curls, and his tawny skin looks a bit washed out. As far as I can tell, he's dead to the world. The thought makes me watch for the slow rise and fall of his chest. He's not dead; of course he's just sleeping.

My eyes wander out Kaden's window and land on the ocean coast. I take in the sandy beaches and breaking waves. A couple chicks in bikinis catch my eye, and I let myself stare. It's noon on a school day, and there are still hot babes on the beach. I could get used to this.

"How's Kaden?" Mom's voice booms out of the wireless radio.

I grab the wireless from the cup holder. "He's still sleeping," I say. He must be really wiped out, which doesn't surprise me. It was really bad this morning.

Kaden will need to get up soon anyway, so I might as well show him the beach. I reach over and squeeze his shoulder. He inhales and jerks awake. "Whadisit," he mumbles, still half asleep.

"We're almost there. Check out the beach." I point across him and out his window, just as we coast to a complete stop at a traffic light.

Kaden squeezes his eyes shut, not even bothering to look. That's when I realize he probably doesn't remember leaving Oregon.

"I'm sorry," I say. He rolls his eyes. I lean over and put my elbow on his reclined seat. "I know this is hard . . . Moving sucks, I get that, but maybe it's not as bad as you think. Look out that window and then try to tell me you're not at least a little bit excited to be a single guy living in California. I know I'm excited to be single for a change."

Kaden's face softens. He props himself up on his elbow and looks out the window. "I hate to break it to you, Logan . . ." He looks over and shakes his head. "This isn't a change for you. You're always single."

The tension in my shoulders releases. "The change is that I'm excited about it this time," I say, and Kaden actually scoffs at me, which is practically like laughing for him. Finally, I can breathe easy. "Mind if I turn on the music?" I ask.

Kaden shrugs; I reach up to where my phone is stuck to the dashboard and tap the play button. "Move" by Lil Tjay Tyga blares from the speakers. I drum my hands on the steering wheel and follow Mom through the intersection.

"Dude," Kaden says. "Not the best thing for my head right now."

"Shoot, I'm sorry." I turn the volume down to a whisper. "Want some ibuprofen?" I lean over to open the glove compartment with one hand on the wheel. The car swerves.

"Whoa, let me get it." Kaden nudges my hand back and grabs the meds himself. The pills clack against the plastic bottle.

We make our way through a few traffic lights, and my stomach starts to growl. I pick up the wireless again. "Hey Mom, are we gonna eat?"

"Not right now, no," Mom says.

Dang it, I'm starving! "Hey Kade. My stomach is trying to eat itself. I think there's still chips and jerky in the back. Can you . . . ?"

Kaden pivots and kneels in his seat to search the back seat, swaying a little as I step on the gas and follow Mom's car through another green light. "I don't see anything," Kaden says, and he sits back down. Then he points out the window and says, "McDonald's!"

"What?"

"Let's hit the drive-thru, come on." Kaden nudges my arm.

"We'll get left behind."

"So? You said you were hungry." He grabs the steering wheel and jerks it playfully.

"Okay, okay," I say with a laugh. Kaden lets go and grabs my digital watch from the cup holder, and I turn off the road to get behind three cars in the drive-thru. "Wow, lucky us. Check out this line."

Kaden stares down at my watch. "It's San Francisco. There's another McDonald's right across the street."

I snort. "Technically, we're in Berkeley. You know, we're in the same time zone; you don't have to reset my watch."

"Technically we're in Berkeley," he says, doing a pretty good impersonation of me. "You and your logic," he teases.

"You and your wonky explanations," I joke back.

The wireless radio blares with Mom's voice: "Logan! Where did you go?"

Kaden snorts and holds up my digital. The stopwatch is ticking away. 00:00:16 "It only took her fifteen seconds to realize we weren't behind her."

"Logan?!" Mom's voice crackles as she yells through the wireless radio.

I let out a sigh and pick up the wireless. "Yeah, I'm here."

"Well, where did you go?" she demands.

"The McDonald's drive-thru."

"Logan! What did I just tell you? We don't have time for this."

Kaden nudges my arm. "Here, let me." He takes the wireless from me. "Mom?"

"Oh, hi sweetie." Mom's voice automatically shifts from the outraged tone she was using with me to a soothing croon.

"I'm hungry. We're already in the line; just let us grab something quick, okay?"

"You're going to get lost . . ."

"We're already lost," Kaden says, but he wasn't holding the button down. "Mom, I'm hungry," Kaden repeats into the wireless.

"Oh, of course you can grab something quick," Mom says. Typical. I want food and Mom says to wait, but if Kaden says he's hungry, Mom gives in just like that.

"Sheri," Dad says. "You go back to the McDonald's for them, and I'll stick with the movers. Say boys? Why don't you pick up something for all of us?"

"Okay, Dad," Kaden says, and he sets the wireless radio down. I pull up to the speaker and ask Kaden what he wants.

"I'm not hungry."

When are you ever hungry anymore? "Kade, you haven't had anything to eat all day. Your stomach is empty. You are hungry, you just don't know it . . . Now what do you want?"

Kaden sighs heavily and gazes at the menu. "I dunno, an ice cream cone?"

"Not without some actual real food too. How about some french fries at least?"

"If you say so," Kaden says.

I put in our order and pull forward. "Thanks, Kade," I say.

Kaden leans back in his reclined seat with his hands behind his head. He smirks at the ceiling. "No prob," he says. "I'm glad I could help you out for a change."

It takes a second for me to realize what he means. He talked Mom into letting us go through the drive-thru. He lied about being hungry, so that I didn't have to wait to eat.

But that's not why I said thanks. I didn't even think about how Kaden talked to Mom for me. He tried to blow it off like it didn't matter, but he almost smiled about it. Something as small as that, and it practically made his day.

My stomach aches from more than just the hunger. For a change, he said. I didn't even know he wanted to help me, and apparently it really gets to him. I help him out so much, and he's trying to make it even, like he thinks he owes me. But there just aren't that many things he can do for me, and they all pale in comparison to everything I do for him.

Who knows, though? So much is changing because of the move. Maybe this can change too. Maybe somehow we really can be even.

Thank you for reading! Please remember to vote if you can relate to Logan's empty stomach trying to eat itself, or if you have ever moved and remember how awful it was. I personally moved into my current house three years ago, and it was a great move, but I know some people who would tell me moving was the worst!

Thanks for your time, comments, votes, and reads! It means the world to me!

~A.C.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.6K 3K 37
แด…ษชแด แด‡ส€ษขแด‡ษดแด›; แด›แด‡ษดแด…ษชษดษข แด›แด ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แดส€ แด…แด‡แด แด‡สŸแดแด˜ ษชษด แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แด…ษชส€แด‡แด„แด›ษชแดษด๊œฑ.
262K 4.2K 44
Eight years ago, Sarah Winrey has always been bullied by Leon Ferron, whom she's feared since the very first day she met him. After he gets expelled...
10.6K 208 22
The last couple of years have been rough for Nolan Caddel and his family. After the death of loved ones and a life changing diagnosis he's just tryin...
110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...