Along the Lines of Love | βœ“

By anamika_writes

He doesn't know what love is but he knows he doesn't want to be lonely. She knows what love is but also know... More

Prelude
β€’ β€’ Part 1 : The Wedding Chronicles β€’ β€’
Chapter 1 : Friends
Chapter 2 : Bon AppΓ©tit
Chapter 3 : A Proper Date
Chapter 4 : Dilemma
Chapter 5 : Approval?
Chapter 6 : How I met your mother!
Chapter 7 : Unsettled Matters
Chapter 8 : A Day Well Spent
Chapter 9 : Pending Decisions
Chapter 10 : It's A Yes
Chapter 11 : Wedding On The Cards
Chapter 12 : Save The Date
Chapter 13 : Starting The Preparations
Chapter 14 : Affianced
Chapter 15 : Just The Beginning
Chapter 16 : Picturesque
Chapter 17 : Happy Birthday
Chapter 18 : A Few Firsts
Chapter 19 : All Set
Chapter 20 : The Wedding Night
Chapter 21 : Day One
Chapter 22 : Conversations
Chapter 23 : Newlyweds
Chapter 24 : New Feelings
Chapter 25 : Scars Of The Past
Chapter 26 : Bitterness
Chapter 27 : Domestic Affairs
Chapter 29 : Uncomfortable Experiences
Chapter 30 : Brewing Affection
Chapter 31 : Disappointment
Chapter 32 : Heartfelt Reflections
Chapter 33 : Disagreements & Agreements
Chapter 34 : Comforting Companionship
Chapter 35 : Family
Chapter 36 : Sprouting Appetency
Chapter 37 : Onset Of Newer Feelings
Chapter 38 : Over An Orgasm
Chapter 39 : Heart-to-Heart
Chapter 40 : Welcome back
Chapter 41 : Kiss & Miss
Chapter 42 : Harmony
Chapter 43 : Pre-Honeymoon Jitters
Chapter 44 : Surprise!
Chapter 45 : Late Nights
Chapter 46 : Just Couple Things
Chapter 47 : An Evening In Paris
Chapter 48 : Closer Than Before
Chapter 49 : Deepening Bonds
Chapter 50 : For Happiness
β€’ β€’ Part 2 : The Marriage Chronicles β€’ β€’
Chapter 51 : Back Home
Chapter 52 : Her Confidante
Chapter 53 : Perfect
Chapter 54 : Sweet Progress
Chapter 55 : Unpleasant Situations
Chapter 56 : His Apology
Chapter 57 : New Home
Chapter 58 : Strong Feelings
Chapter 59 : Heart To Heart
Chapter 60 : Quality Time
Chapter 61 : Reunion
Chapter 62 : Their First
Chapter 63 : Moments
Chapter 64 : Sunday Outing
Chapter 65 : His Interest
Chapter 66 : In Sickness & Health
Chapter 67 : Third Time's The Charm?
Chapter 68 : Pillow Talk
Chapter 69 : His Silver Lining
Chapter 70 : Valentine's Day
Chapter 71 : Hurt & Heal
Chapter 72 : Heartache
Chapter 73 : Apologies & Guilt
Chapter 74 : Uncomfortable Conversations
Interlude
Chapter 75 : Troubling Thoughts
Chapter 76 : Conversations
Chapter 77 : Pleasured & Pleased
Chapter 78 : Joy
Chapter 79 : Newfound Happiness
Chapter 80 : Second Innings
Epilogue
Epilogue : II

Chapter 28 : Tiny Expectations

11.2K 1.1K 313
By anamika_writes

Happy reading :)

- - - - ♡ - - - -

Jaane Kyun, Dil Jaanta Hai 

Tu Hai Toh, I'll Be Alright

- - - - ♡ - - - -

Sharanya had prepared baby corn manchurian with fried rice. She had cleverly used brown rice instead of white ones. Over years she had learnt how to cook healthy by replacing the not so healthy and super refined things with healthy alternatives. Her doctor had recommended eliminating rice from her diet but she couldn't do that. So brown rice it was.

Nikhil had been working, when she had left the room. She had taken a nap in the guest room and then had proceeded to cook dinner. By six in the evening the dinner was almost ready. She just had to fry the baby corn slices prior to serving so that they were crispy.

She had made some little sprouts salad for herself. Sprouts again were full of fibre which was good for her body. Over the past few days her diet had gone for a toss. She was determined to get back to her regular ways. She usually ate dinner by eight. But at her in-laws' they ate around nine or even after. She didn't want to impose her habits on anyone. Even though it was always healthy to eat early. Her own aim was to shift towards seven. But given work life challenges, she hadn't got around to making it a reality.

She had always been a foodie. She loved trying out new things. However, living with her various symptoms of PCOD was hard. Initially, when she had been diagnosed with it, she was angry and pissed. But with time, she had learned to manage it just as she had for everything else. Of course, she had no other option. She feared putting on weight. Not losing was better than gaining. However, it had come to be a way of life for her. If anything, she was proud that she was proud of her healthy habits.

She took a bowl for Nikhil to the room. She was sure he wouldn't really want to eat it. But she didn't see any harm in trying.

"I made some salad for myself, thought you'd want to try," she said placing the bowl on his table. He looked at the bowl of sprouts mixed with tiny pieces of what looked like tomato and cucumber.

He smiled and muttered, "thanks!" He wasn't a health freak per say, perhaps the opposite. He liked to keep healthy at the same time he preferred to indulge in tasty food irrespective of the calories they bought, especially on weekends.

However, the Saturday seemed to be pretty dry. Starting with idli in morning and brinjal curry in afternoon. If this was his mother handing him a bowl of salad he would have definitely expressed his thoughts. But it was Sharanya, his new wife. He would feel guilty for throwing a tantrum after all she was doing. So he accepted it with a smile.

Just a bad day! He thought to himself.

"You're working on a Saturday, important matters is it?" She asked sticking around.

"Uh, not really. Just making up for yesterday." He answered, flexing his neck.

She nodded, as his eyes remain fixed on the computer screen. He seemed in middle of composing an email. "I will be in the living room, call me if you need anything."

He nodded, staring her back till she disappeared. He really needed to review a few deal proposals and then go through the customer issues status report. He was briefly aware that it would be more appropriate to spend time with his wife, that's what couples do, especially early in marriage, don't they? But it freaked him out. How much could they possibly talk about?

He decided to get work done, maybe he could chat with her over dinner. He stared at the bowl of sprouts salad she had left. He picked it up with a sigh, and started eating it. He briefly wondered what she made for dinner. His expectations were pretty low.

Time flied for Sharanya. It had been awhile she had watched some movie. She had chosen Princess Diaries, for old times sake. She remembered watching it with Gargi a long time back, the two of them had enjoyed it so much. She had a constant smile on her face, and had quite a few bursts of laughter. The movie was so heart-warming.

Nikhil had lost track of time as he worked, ticking of tasks off his to-do list. He had taken a break in between to get himself some water. He had heard Sharanya's soft laughs and walked over to have a peek into the TV area. A soft smile had flickered across his face, as he stealthily hid behind the wall, watching Sharanya smile and have her eyes glued to the TV. He had stood for a minute, just watching her, admiringly.

Only when her smile had transformed into cascading laughter with her head thrown back, he had realized that he was being creepy by watching her surreptitiously. He had quickly walked back to his room. Stretching his arms he stood beside his desk smiling to himself. His gaze was towards the book rack. He smiled, seemed like she was into Romance genre in both books and movies.

He blinked and finally stopped smiling to focus on his work. Why was he being so silly? He rolled his eyes and peered at his screen with a sigh.

* * *

Sharanya had seen the clock only when the movie had reached it's almost end. It was around eight. Once the movie ended, she quickly got up and got into action, straightening the sheet over the low sitting and arranging the cushions in an orderly manner before hurrying to her room. She needed to change her sanitary napkin.

"Hey, not hungry?" She asked entering the room.

"A little bit," He said, typing away without looking up.

"Okay, I will heat the dinner." She said, making a beeline for the washroom. Once done, she walked out of the room wordlessly, hurrying to arrange a splendid dinner table. It was the first time it was just the two of them having dinner at home. She wanted it to be special, one that he'd appreciate.

* * *

Sharanya had got out the porcelain dinnerware that her mother-in-law had said was reserved for guests from the upper cabinets in the kitchen. She'd replace them after use just as they were her mother-in-law wouldn't even know she had used them. She had set the table while the oil heated. She had ordered ice cream among brown rice, sprouts and other groceries she had ordered online, once they had all left for the railway station.

Within fifteen minutes all was set. She paused to think over it all. Why was she doing all of this? She was jolted out of her deep thoughts, when she heard a door shut, he was probably using the bathroom, she thought. Setting aside her thoughts, she went back into the kitchen to get the sleek jar of all purpose chilli flakes. Just in case he thought the manchurian was too bland.

"Wow," He uttered as soon as he approached the dining table. He quickly lifted the lid of the bowl and peered at the contents, inhaling the aroma.

"Manchurian?"

"Bingo," she said with a smile.

"Wow, my hunger has already doubled up." He said sitting on the chair at the head of the table, his eyes taking in the beautifully set dinner table.

Sharanya pulled a chair beside his, smiling at him brightly. His enthusiasm cheered her spirits. It was so gratifying to see the happiness on his face.

"Aren't you going to eat?" He asked, looking at her empty plate after filling his.

"Of course I will," she said with a smile, serving her plate with some of the fried rice a manchurian.

"That's it?" He asked, looking at her plate that literally had half of what he had served for himself.

"Yeah, I had the salad so stomach is half filled."

"I had it too, but if anything, it served as an appetizer."

Sharanya smiled.

"So, you were watching a movie?" He asked casually, pretending that he didn't know.

"Yes, I was." She brightened up, chewing. "Princess Diaries. It had been so long since I had watched it. So just thought of re watching it."

He smiled, "A movie buff?"

"Not really. I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie completely. There would be work, or tuitions or cooking and stuff, so I would never get a stretch of time to just sit and watch a movie entirely."

He grinned. "I can relate to that. I think the last movie I watched was... damn, I don't remember. Oh yes, Interstellar."

Sharanya was now sure he'd never watched a romantic film at all. She wondered if his mother was a strict parent. How was he so nerd-y?

"Do you have a favorite movie?" She asked.

"Not really. But if I have to watch a movie, it needs to be smart. I can't tolerate sloppy logic and drama." He said.

As she noticed him eat, she realized he hadn't said a word about how the food was. Maybe he didn't like it. She quickly grabbed the jar of chilli flakes and placed it close to his plate. "Chilli flakes, you may find the manchurian a little bland for your liking."

"What! No way! This is good stuff," He said, chewing a mouthful. "Sorry, I missed to mention that." He gave her a sheepish smile.

Sharanya nodded with a soft small smile slowly blooming on her face.

"What's your favorite book?" Sharanya asked, making efforts to keep the conversation going.

"Depends on what's the genre and mood."

"Okay, let me rephrase, one book you'd recommend to me."

"Hmm, he said chewing thoughtfully. The Last Lecture. I think that's something you'd like. It's a pretty emotional book, but it hits you right where it has to. Gives you life lessons from a man who is looking at death from so close."

Sharanya was surprised, pleasantly. She was halfway expecting some autobiography of a self made billionaire to come up. "Do you have it?"

"Huh," He looked up from his plate. He could finally understand why her family and friends wouldn't stop appreciating her cooking. Even in reputed eateries and diners, one wouldn't find food as good as she made. He was officially a fan. He wouldn't tell her that though. At least not now.

"The book, do you have it?" She rephrased her question.

"Yup, on the top shelf."

"Can I read it? I have a lot of time on hand this month."

"Of course. By all means feel free to pick anything you fancy." He said. It felt so nice sharing intellectual stuff with someone. This is exactly what he wanted in a life partner. He was so glad he chose her. He couldn't imagine having a conversation like this with any other woman he had met before.

"What's a book you'd recommend?" He asked curiously.

She was almost tempted to list out all her favourites from her younger days — pride & prejudice, me before you, the fault in our stars; but resisted and answered, "Not much of a reader, so I don't really have anything to recommend."

Nikhil nodded, "a movie I should watch?"

Sharanya's eyes lit up, again she was tempted to share her list. But she could already see his face of disappointment on seeing the movies she liked. "To you, none. My choice is more of the kind you don't like, sloppy logic and drama."

He stifled a chuckle. "Okay,"

"Oh, wait, I think I have one which you would have probably watched too, 3 idiots."

"I have watched that!" He admitted with a smile. "But the engineering they showed their is hardly anything." He added.

Sharanya smiled, engaging in a discussion around the movie. Nikhil absolutely loved the character of Rancho. She was more of a Priya fan.

For the first time, Sharanya had loved discussing a movie with anyone other than Gargi. They had decided to watch a little part of the movie.

They sat together, with a good distance between them watching the movie after they had washed up and the table had been cleared. Nikhil surprised her once again, with a lot of comments during the movie. She didn't bother to tell him tahy she preferred less talk during a movie. She had seen the scenes of the movie a dozen of times. If anything, she was more interested in his little comments about, how ragging was a real thing especially in hostels and insights about his lab classes during engineering.

If anyone told him, that Nikhil could voluntarily talk so much, she would have accepted that as a joke. Maybe he was finally opening up to her. If a tasty meal did that, Sharanya was more than happy to put efforts into making tasty meals every now and then. She preferred a talkative Nikhil over a silent brooding one any day.

* * *

The night was breezy as they stepped out for their night walk. Nikhil was amazed at how much he spoke to her today. It was a first time he had spoken so openly, to any woman, at a stretch. Sharanya somehow made it easy for him to be himself around her.

He glanced at the notification on his phone and put it back in his pocket. "I forgot to mention that our health check-up has been confirmed for tomorrow," Nikhil spoke.

"Oh, yeah. I had forgotten about that," she said.

"It's in the eight to eight thirty slot. We both need to give a fasting sample." He added.

"Oh," Sharanya said thoughtfully. "Do you have a mailer or description of the tests?" She asked. She wondered if she could get her test done during periods. She remembered seeing a urine sample.

He handed her his phone with the pdf open. She quickly scrolled down and read the fine text description. She'd mostly have to go twice. She gave his phone back to him.

"Do you want to go for an ice cream? There's a popular ice cream parlour down the main road."

"I ordered ice-cream." She said.

"But, ice-cream is better with the waffle cone, no?"

"Okay," she said. Her plan to serve ice-cream with hot chocolate sauce and nuts had gone down the drain.

"We can have the one at home tomorrow," He said trying to convince her. "Oh, wait, you don't like ice-creams?"

"I do, corner house style," she reminded him.

He smiled, "then you'll love their Death By Chocolate."

After about fifteen minutes of walking they reached the ice-cream parlour, whose board read — Penguin Ice-Cream Parlour, with the illustration of a cute penguin with two ice-creams in hand.

As soon as Sharanya had read the description under Death By Chocolate she looked at Nikhil, "I will take a single scoop. I can't eat that much ice cream," she said pointing to the description.

"We can share if you don't mind?" He said.

Sharanya nodded and he was quick in placing his order and handing his payment card.

"I am sorry sir, the card machine is out of order."

He sighed, taking out his mobile to scan the UPI ID to make a digital e-wallet payment.

"Extra nuts, please," He added, glancing at Sharanya to make sure she didn't want to object.

Within a minute he was handed a big bowl, which had cone-like wafers on the first layer, with three scoops of vanilla ice-cream and then a generous amount of shiny melting dark chocolate sprinkled with nuts.

"Wow," Sharanya remarked as he handed her a spoon and grabbed a few tissue papers. They made their way to the end of the room to the quiet corner table for two. The room was compact and hardly spacious. The tables were small too.

"Go on, taste it," He said holding the huge bowl for her, not trusting the wobbly table.

Sharanya smiled taking a tiny bite. "Hmm," she said as flavours seduced her taste buds she immediately wanted a second bite. "It's good stuff."

"Isn't it, can you believe Maa doesn't like this?" He said digging his spoon, taking a spoonful.

Sharanya smiled. Finally, Nikhil Kumar was revealing his truer self before her. He went on to tell her about the first time he stopped by to try the place out and how it easily became his favorite go-to place. If she thought her siblings were obsessed with food she was so wrong. Nikhil easily topped the list.

* * *

Sharanya walked out of the washroom after changing into her dark purple night suit. The day had gone from being one of the worst to one of the best day in her married life. She finally felt she belonged somewhere.

She smiled as he sat reading a book. She was impressed. He always made it a point to read a few wages. While she was cleaning up the kitchen, bringing in the clothes that had dried and making sure everything was shut he was in the room reading.

"Six tomorrow?" He asked, glancing at her.

"Yes,"

"We'll leave at seven thirty, is that okay?" He asked, an then quickly explained, "I can't keep hungry for too long."

"Okay," she replied, getting into bed. She quickly slipped in and pulled the blanket up. She was till not confident being around him with a bra inside her t-shirt. What if he noticed? It was embarrassing.

She lay down wondering if he thought of her like that. Did he find her even the least bit attractive? If she had to be frank, she had started liking him.

"Can I keep the light on for another ten minutes?" He asked.

"Sure," she answered, closing her eyes. Her mind got busy in thinking about him. Did he feel like being close to her? Did he like her as she had begun to like him?

She paused realizing the nature of her thoughts. An almost panic set in. Was she heading to expecting love? Damn, she was! She had to be careful. Nikhil was probably being a good companion in a platonic, friend like way. Was today just a way to make up for his mother's bitterness? Or was he doing everything out of pity for whatever happened the previous day?

She heard the light switch go off and then the mattress moved a little. She turned to look at him.

"I had a nice day," He said softly, looking at her. Without his glasses, he could barely see clearly from a distance. But she was close. Close enough to observe her face clearly.

"I had a nice day too," she admitted, a little shyly. Would he lean in and give her a kiss on the cheek? Would he say something about how he felt around her?

She waited and waited. But all that came from him was a soft, "good night" and his eyes closed.

"Good night," her voice came out as a whisper. She stared at his face. Shit, she had never felt so much attraction before. She turned and looked at the ceiling for a minute. If only she was prettier! Would he initiate romantic gestures if she was prettier? Would he make the first move then?

She closed her eyes, shutting all her thoughts at once. She had a good day, and she didn't want that feeling of gratitude to go away.

* * *

At around five minutes past eight, Sharanya and Nikhil had arrived at the hospital where there check-up was fixed. Nikhil had informed the receptionist about their arrival and she had quickly asked a nurse to lead them for basic check-up and then blood collection sample, handing her two different forms.

The nurse led them into one of the hospital rooms. The two of them sat quietly, observing the nurse as she began filling the forms. She started with asking Nikhil for details. She then moved on to asking Sharanya for her name, age and previously known medical history. Sharanya mentioned PCOD. For good measure she had also carried her previous medical files.

The nurse asked Nikhil to stand on the weighing machine. He glanced at Sharanya. This was embarrassing for him.

Sharanya's thoughts didn't differ from his. Medical check-up was a very intimate thing. It felt so strange having him alongside. She was used to visiting the doctor on her own for her timely check-ups.

"Look up, please," the nurse requested.

Nikhil sighed and did as he was told.

"Eighty Five," the nurse read.

His ears reddened with embarrassment. Why did she have to say it out loud? He had put on a considerable amount. Eighty had always been a hard limit. The weighing machine probably had a error, a voice in his voice said to cheer him up. She beckoned him to stand against the scale and within a minute had jotted down his height.

"Madam," she called Sharanya.

Sharanya quickly followed. She hoped she hadn't gone over seventy. She was almost sure she would have put on since her last check-up. She was not minding her eating, and didn't do yoga or climb stairs.

Thankfully, the nurse didn't call out her weight like she did for Nikhil. She quickly noted it down and then asked her to stand against the scale. Sharanya peeped at the form. A sudden calm set in. It was only sixty nine point five. Saved!

The nurse recorded their other basic parameters like BP, heart rate and oxygen level. She then pulled out two packed injections. Making sure to show them the seal and the sample bottle she took their blood sample.

Nikhil looked on nervously, as he saw Sharanya not make much fuss as the nurse inserted the needle into her arm.

"It doesn't hurt?" He asked, softly.

"It doesn't, " she said reassuringly and the nurse smiled at him reconfirming what Sharanya had said.

The nurse labelled the bottle and showed it to Sharanya. She was extremely professional in her manner. Her agility with the procedure hinted at experience.

In a few minutes, she had drawn a tiny amount of blood from Nikhil's body too. She led them outside asking them to wait while she returned.

"Why did she not bandage my prick?" He asked, sitting down while he gazed at the prick to insure no blood was leaking out.

"Because she drew out more blood out of my arm," she said. "It's nothing, you won't even be able to see where the prick is."

"Hmm" He mumbled looking at his own. The prick mark was visible but the pain had almost vanished like it was never there.

"You have taken blood tests before?" He asked.

"Yes," she answered. Seeing his curious look, she further added, "for hormone tests they require blood."

"Oh," He said.

They sat in silence observing the busy hospital corridor. The smell of chemicals and disinfectants in the air. Sharanya looked at him, he looked very uneasy.

"Is this the first time you're getting a check up done?"

"Uh, yes." He answered, distracted. "I don't like hospitals." He said.

Sharanya nodded slowly, having an idea where is dislike sprouted from. The familiar surrounding would have brought back bitter memories. She steadily guided her hand towards his, gently intertwining her fingers with his. "It's okay." She whispered.

• • • • •

Which is one book (published) you'd recommend to me?

Next : Monday

-Anami!♡

Don't forget to hit the vote button if you're enjoying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.3K 3K 28
Nakshatra, A girl with a passion eager to be on the path of her dreams, gets into an arranged marriage for the sake of her parents who looked at her...
309K 19.6K 46
An Indian arranged marriage love story. Like my first one this one has a new challenge. This girl here is different. Another gleaming image of confi...
952K 75.5K 65
Separated by distance united by hearts. But what happens when time leaves insecurities etched on hearts? A couple try to rekindle love that they onc...
302K 25.3K 62
Yash Purohit- 27 year old CA, Carefree, Bindass, Jolly, happy Go person. Once you meet him, he will ensure your comfort. He gives his time to family...