The Key To Her Heart

By Moondragonice

(TMF oc insert) Lilac is one of the most popular and richest girls at Rosemeadow High. She's pretty, and a fa... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
A/N
Chapter 4
A/N
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
A/N
A/N
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 8

431 6 6
By Moondragonice

Lilac stood there in shock, had she heard him correctly? "What?" She asked again.

Jake didn't take his eyes off her, "sing with me for the competition Lilac!"

Lilac let out a small laugh, "you're kidding right?"

Jake shook his head, "I'm serious Lilac! We can perform a duet!"

"Jake-"

"And maybe you could even play your violin!"

"Jake-"

"We would sound great to-"

"Jake!"

The peach haired boy looked up at her, a small smile still on his face. Lilac took a deep breath, "look I would love to sing with you just like we used to, but bringing my violin into the mix? You know that I haven't played that thing in years."

Jake put a hand on the taller girl's shoulder, guilt shone in his hazel eyes, "I'm sorry, I don't want to force you, Lilac. I just thought it would be a good idea."

Lilac looked into his eyes, "I know it's just..." she glanced down at her feet, "you know that I haven't played my violin since that incident."

Jake took his hand off her shoulder, "I know, but it's just not the same without you."

Lilac crossed her arms, staring at the ground, "I'll think about it ok?"

Jake nodded his head excitedly, "ok I'll meet you in the music room tomorrow. Bright and early."

"Yeah, that won't be much of a problem for me. I'm an early bird after all." Lilac scoffed.

Jake playfully rolled his eyes, "ok Miss Bright and Early, I'll see you tomorrow."

The two waved goodbye, leaving Lilac to make a difficult choice.

                        The next day

"Jake, is it really necessary for you to be dragging me right now?" Lilac asked in her usual annoyed tone.

The two were on their way to the music room, and Jake had insisted that they had to be fast.

"We have to be fast! I texted them in the group chat saying that we had to meet up in the music room early." Jake explained.

Lilac playfully rolled her eyes, "you do realize I was in the group chat, right?"

Jake chuckled nervously, "oh right..."

The two finally reached the music room and Jake let go of Lilac's wrist. The peach haired boy walked in first, the taller girl close behind him.

"Hey, morning guys thanks for coming in early." Jake said when they walked in, Lilac stood next to him with a small smile on her face.

"Morning." Milly replied, yawning.

"Good morning." Luke replied in his usual cheerful tone.

"So, what's up Jake? You gave us a scare last night asking us to meet you this morning, why so suddenly?" Sean asked, sitting on the table next to Milly.

"Oh sorry." Jake said, rubbing the back of his neck. Lilac glanced at him; she still didn't know why her best friend wanted to meet so early.

"It's nothing bad though, me and Lilac just have something to talk about." Jake continued, gesturing to Lilac. The royal blue haired girl shot him a surprised glare.

"What do you mean we? Don't include me in this." Lilac scolded.

"Go on". Zander said, looking suspicious.

Lilac held her breath, "I know it might be a crazy idea, but hear me out. I think that Lilac and I should do a duet for the competition." Lilac shot him a 'you've got to be kidding me look.

"And she could also play her violin". Jake continued.

Lilac's eyes widened before she slapped him on the shoulder, "ow! What was that for?" Jake shrieked, rubbing the spot where she slapped him.

"I didn't agree to that yet you idiot!" She whispered, clenching her teeth.

"Oh, thank goodness, I thought you were going to announce something weird like you were dating." Zander said, relieved.

Lilac and Jake exchanged glances, before the peach haired boy started laughing, "you think that we- that Lilac and I- were dating?" Jake said in between laughs.

Lilac put a hand on her hip, her blue eyes glittered with amusement, "yeah, Jake and I are like siblings. We would never date each other."

Jake stopped laughing and stood back up next to her. Lilac's sly smile suddenly turned into a smirk, "besides he has a crush on-".

Jake swiftly covered her mouth, his cheeks were a deep shade of red. Lilac grabbed his wrist and took his hand off her mouth.

"Like Lilac said we would never date because we consider each other brother and sister." Jake replied, still a little bit red.

"That's a relief". Zander said.

"Yeah, that would have been terrible". Luke replied sarcastically.

"Anyways, as I was saying we both wanted to sing together in the competition, and Lilac could also perform on her violin."

"Did you say a duet? With you and Lilac? Oh, my goodness! Yes! Yes! Yes!" Milly exclaimed excitedly.

"But the competition is in four weeks. Isn't this a bit sudden?" Sean pointed out.

"Exactly it's way too late to be making changes, so let's just forget about this stupid idea and-" Lilac agreed but was cut off by Jake.

"I know it's late notice, but we can do it if we all sacrifice our free periods for practice. I'll bet it will turn out better than the original. And it's a little selfish but it's something I really want to do".

Lilac looked down at the floor, "after hearing Lilac sing and play her violin for the first time when we were kids and knowing how much the competition and the club means to her, it doesn't feel right to sing without her." Jake continued; Lilac glanced up at him with a shy smile before looking back at the club.

"Well, if it means so much to you then I say let's do it." Sean agreed.

"Woo who! This is going to be even more poggers!" Milly exclaimed, shaking Sean till he was dizzy.

Jake and Lilac walked over to Luke and Zander, "ah, what about you guys?" Jake asked. Please say no! Please say no!

Zander and Luke exchanged glances; Hailey had recently gone over to stand next to them. "Why not? Sounds like a nice idea." Lilac could've sworn she saw Zander smile when he said that.

"Oh right, yes!" Jake exclaimed.

Lilac didn't meet his gaze, "I'd rather know you'll both be leading the song than leaving it to just you." Zander added.

Jake let out a small sarcastic laugh, "well Zander, thanks for the support."

"And you want to do this Lilac? You look kind of nervous." Luke asked, concerned.

Lilac looked up at him, "I uh- yes to the singing part but I don't know about the violin part."

"You play the violin?" Milly asked in awe.

"I did once, but not anymore." The taller girl replied, crossing her arms and looking down.

"Not anymore? Why?" Hailey asked.

The whole club looked at her in concern, even Zander, "I just don't anymore! Ok?" She snapped.

Hailey took a step towards her, "Lilac, I know there's a reason why you stopped, and I want to help you, we all do." She gestured to everyone in the room.

She glanced up at Jake, "you don't have to tell them if you don't want to." He whispered.

Lilac sighed, "do you think you can tell them?" She whispered back.

"If you really want me to, but only if you think they deserve to know." Jake replied.

Lilac slowly nodded, Jake turned his head back towards the club, "we were in Middle School...."

Flashback time

"Jake! I'm going to join the talent show!" A younger Lilac declared. Jake, who was sitting on a bench, smiled at her, "what are you going to do?" He asked.

"I'm going to play my violin!" She said confidently, putting her hands on her hips.

Jake stood up and walked over to her, "I'm so excited to hear you play Lilac!"

Lilac smiled softly and pulled her best friend into a hug.

It was art class, but Lilac was too busy thinking about the talent show.

"Hey did you hear. Jeremy's gonna sing for the talent show next week!" She heard the brown-haired girl with green eyes, Skylar was her name, exclaim.

"Yeah right." The red-haired girl, Avery,

scoffed.

"I'm serious, Zoey told me this morning". Skylar continued.

"Wait really? I didn't know he could sing." Avery said.

"That's because he can't! Apparently, Kyle caught him singing along to Rick Astley in the boy's toilets and convinced him to sign up for it. And get this when he gets on stage, pretty much everyone in our grade is booing." Skylar ranted.

"Oh, my goodness! That's so mean! I can't wait to watch that happen!" Avery exclaimed.

"Do you know anyone else doing the talent show?" Avery asked.

"Megan and her sister are gonna do ballet or something which is boring. Oh and-"

Skylar turned her head towards Lilac and pointed at her, "Lilac is?" Avery asked.

"Yeah, apparently she's going to play the violin and sing or something." Skylar said.

"Anyways, Hailey, Zander, and Luke are also joining, they made a band."

Avery gasped, "no way Luke's performing? Now I'm even more excited!"

Lilac rolled her eyes, simp. But Lilac slightly blushed from embarrassment, all eyes were going to be on her....

"Next we have a performance from the very talented, Lilac Moonshine." The principal gestured to her.

Lilac held her breath as she walked onto the stage, everyone staring at her. But before she began to play voices began to bounce around in her head. No one will like you! You'll be awful! Disappointment! Are you even a Moonshine at all?

Lilac stood frozen in fear, before she ran off stage, Jake close behind her. The royal blue haired girl trotted towards a corner and tried to hide herself.

"Lilac, what's wrong? What happened?" The voice of her distressed best friend made her look up.

"I can't do it! They're all going to tell me that I'm awful and that I really am a disappointment!" She sobbed.

Jake hugged her close, "it's ok Lilac." He whispered.

"After that she put her violin away for good. She hasn't played a note on it since. She suffers pretty badly from atychiphobia." Jake explained.

(Fear of letting someone down btw.)

Everyone in the room was speechless, "Lilac, thank you for letting Jake tell us." Sean said.

"Now you know why I haven't played it since, I'm afraid I'll freeze up again." Lilac whispered.

"I need to go to the restroom." Lilac muttered. Turning away with her head bowed.

"Lilac?" Jake said.

"I- need to be alone Jake." She whispered back. Jake bowed his head.

Lilac walked up to the sink, staring at herself in the mirror, memories spun around in her head, ones she wished she could erase.

Oh, hush, my dear, it's been a difficult year

And terrors don't prey on innocent victims

Trust me, darlin', trust me darlin'

It's been a loveless year, I'm a girl of three fears

Integrity, faith and crocodile tears

Trust me, darlin', trust me, darlin'

So, look me in the eyes

Tell me what you see

Perfect paradise

Tearin' at the seams

I wish I could escape it

But I don't wanna fake it

I wish I could erase it

Make your heart believe

But I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, now you know

I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, you're free to go

Did all my dreams never mean one thing?

Does happiness lie in a diamond ring?

Oh, I've been askin' for

Oh, I've been askin' for problems, problems, problems

So look me in the eyes

Tell me what you see

Perfect paradise

Tearin' at the seams

I wish I could escape it

But I don't wanna fake it

I wish I could erase it

Make your heart believe

But I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, now you know

I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, you're free to go

I can't breathe, I can't be

I can't be what you want me to be

Believe me, this one time

Believe me

I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, now you know

I'm a bad liar, bad liar

Now you know, you're free to go

Lilac was sitting at her desk in second period, Hailey was next to her, tapping her pencil. The teacher scolded Zoey and Lia for something, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Hey Lilac, are you doing ok?" Hailey asked her.

Lilac nodded and started writing again. Hailey looked at her with sympathy but didn't say anything, she figured Lilac wasn't in the mood to talk.

After class Lilac paced out the door, Hailey next to her, "so, about the duet." They both said at the same time, they giggled a little.

"I was thinking maybe we could write a song together for it." Hailey told her.

"Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing." Lilac said.

"So I guess that means yes?" Hailey asked her.

Lilac nodded, "let's do it."

"Hm, what about like this?" Lilac wrote down a verse in her song book, then slid it towards Hailey.

Hailey smiled at it, "it looks good. In fact it looks perfect."

"Well I think that completes the verse." Lilac concluded.

"So you're finally satisfied with it?" Hailey said, crossing her arms with a sly smile on her face.

Lilac rolled her eyes, "very funny. But I wanted it to be perfect."

"I'm looking forward to singing the final version of the new song with everyone." Lilac continued.

"And you're sure you really want to do this?" Hailey asked.

"Of course I do! I would be just like when Jake and I were kids!" Lilac declared.

Hailey looked at her, "you two used to sing together?"

Lilac nodded, "we would sing all the time when we were little! We were always in perfect harmony." She sighed happily.

"I was thinking after the competition we could celebrate together at my mansion. Order some Stacy's Mamma Mia Pizza, play some games, cross our fingers Jake doesn't decide to bring the jomies." Lilac whispered the last part reluctantly.

"You really think Jake would bring the jomies?" Hailey asked, a little annoyed.

Lilac shrugged, "I don't know, I just hope he doesn't so you guys don't have to worry about them making fun of you."

Hailey smiled slightly, "that's really sweet of you Lilac."

Lilac blushed out of embarrassment, "do you really want to perform on your violin for the competition?" Hailey asked.

The royal blue haired girl sighs, "I don't know I still need time to think."

"I don't want to let you guys down." She muttered.

Hailey put Lilac's hand into her own, "don't worry about that! Everything will be ok, I promise." Hailey told her reassuringly.

Lilac smiled softly, "thank you for believing in me when I thought no one else but Jake could."

Hailey's side of the story

Hailey's eyes widened, wait, that sounds familiar. Hailey stared at Lilac's silver star necklace. Could it really be?

Back In Middle School

Hailey strutted confidently through the halls, her step brother and friend close behind her.

"Hailey, will you slow down?" Zander panted.

"We won the talent show! Can you believe it?" She asked, still in shock, by now she had slowed down to walk next to both of them.

Luke smiled, "that's a good reason to be excited! Right Zander?"

"Yeah whatever." Zander replied.

"When we get home I'm-" Hailey was interrupted by crying in one of the spare rooms.

"Did you guys hear that?" Hailey asked.

The two boys stopped in their tracks, "yeah it sounded like someone crying." Luke said concerned.

"Does that mean we're going to check it out?" Zander asked.

Hailey rolled her eyes, "of course it does! Let's go!"

Hailey led the way to the spare room and slowly turned the door knob it opened within a few seconds.

When she opened the three of them saw a royal blue haired girl sobbing into her knees, she wore a blue and black dress, and had a silver star necklace around her neck.

Hailey took a few steps closer, Zander and Luke close behind her, "hey, are you ok?" She heard Luke ask.

The girl slowly raised her head to reveal a pair of gorgeous sapphire blue eyes glaring at them. Hailey suddenly realized who it was, it was Lilac Moonshine, the girl who had run off stage during her performance, but no one knew why.

"What are you doing here?" She asked grudgingly, she slowly stood up, her long blue hair was a mess.

"We heard you crying and-" Hailey tried to say but was interrupted by the blue haired girl.

"Why? Are you here to laugh at me?" She growled.

"We just wanted to help you." Zander told her.

Her blue eyes seemed to soften, "wait are you Hailey, Luke, and Zander." She asked.

All three of them nodded, Lilac smiled a little, "and your... Lilac right?" Luke asked her. She nodded.

"We're sorry about what happened." Hailey apologized.

"It's not your fault." Lilac told them.

"Are you a music lover like us?" Zander asked her.

"Yes, my dream is to be a singer one day." She told them.

Hailey gently moved Lilac's bangs out of her face, "well I believe in you. You must be an amazing singer!"

Lilac blushed softly, "thank you for believing in me when I thought no one else but my best friend could."

The three of them wrapped Lilac into a fierce hug, and that was the day Lilac felt the happiest.

Back to Lilac's side of the story

"Uh, Hailey? Are you ok?" Lilac asked, snapping her fingers in front of her face.

Hailey blinked, "yeah sorry I was just thinking of something."

"Ok I guess we should-"

"Hey Lilee". (it's Lie-lee it's her nickname.

Lilac knew that annoying voice anywhere, and sure enough when she turned around, she saw Henry and Liam peeking around the corner. Drew entered soon after.

Lilac and Hailey both stood up, "what are you three doing here?" Lilac asked, crossing her arms.

Drew leaned up against the wall, "just seeing what you're up to. You and Jake spend an awful lot of time here. And you never invite us in." The rich boy said.

"Yeah, why don't you show us that angelic voice of yours for once?" Liam agreed.

"You can't be serious right?" Lilac scoffed.

"Come on Lilac, if we weren't serious, we wouldn't have come in here." Henry pointed out.

Henry walked over to them, "ooh, is that what you're singing?" The green haired boy asked while trying to look at the song, before Hailey pulled it towards her.

Lilac shook her head, "I don't know what you guys are doing in here but get out!" She hissed.

"Yeah, we're sort of busy here." Hailey pointed out in annoyance.

"You're always busy! Haven't you rehearsed enough for this stupid competition?" Drew complained.

Lilac growled quietly, "will you guys just get out of here? We have stuff we need to do!"

"Hey guys check this out!" Lilac glanced to see Henry playing on Zander's piano. Have they lost their minds?!

"Hey get off that!" Hailey demanded.

Liam laughed, "hey wait let me join in." The brown haired walked up to Luke's drum set and started playing it.

"Lilac, can you please do something about them." Hailey told Lilac.

"Believe me I'm trying." She whispered back.

Drew walked towards the two girls, "why are you so angry? The instruments are there to be played on aren't they?" He pointed out smugly.

"Not by the likes of you buffoons!" Hailey snapped.

"Hey guys you sound great, I guess. But could you please stop?" Lilac asked, trying to remain calm.

Liam played the symbol one last time, "I didn't realize this was a fun free zone geez. Is this what you have to put up with?" He complained.

Well, the piano isn't a toy, and neither are the drums!

"She probably doesn't know how to have a laugh, since she's so uptight all the time." Drew observed.

Lilac's eyes narrowed. Says the guy with only three emotions.

"I'd hate to be around that". He added.

"Huh, funny that, maybe there's a reason I'm uptight around you jerks. Now if you don't mind, get out!" Hailey snapped.

"Dang, we barely did anything. We're allowed to say hi to our friend." Drew hissed. Lilac stifled a laugh. Friend?

"Don't act important just because she's your singer." He muttered.

"Oh, I'm the one acting important? Everywhere you go you reek of insecurity. Picking on others just because you think you're better than everyone, you can't stand the fact that everyone else in the school is excited for the competition!" Hailey growled, she had stalked closer to Drew, glaring at him.

Drew scoffed, "the only reason people are going to this competition in the first place is Lilac and Jake. Sweetie, don't get so cocky."

"You of all people don't get to tell me-" Hailey started to protest but was interrupted by Lilac.

"Both of you enough!" She snarled.

Lilac spun around on her heel to face Drew towering over him, "look, Jake and I will hang out with you after school, ok? Now leave!" She growled.

The taller girl turned her back on the magenta haired boy staring at the ground.

Drew glared at Hailey, and she glared back, "fine, whatever. Have fun with little miss uptight." He muttered before walking away.

Lilac could've sworn she heard Drew's voice break, but she shook it off. Liam and Henry were about to leave but they stopped in their tracks to say goodbye to her.

"Well see you later then Lilac, enjoy your alone timeeeee." Henry walked backwards out the door; Liam next to him.

When they left, Lilac let an annoyed huff escaped her lips, "they had the actual nerve to come in here and talk to you like

that?" She growled quietly.

Lilac saw Hailey turn around with her pencil in her hand, "we'll work on this tomorrow, Lilac." She muttered.

"Hailey I'm sorry! I didn't know they would come in here." She whispered.

Hailey sighed and looked at her with a sad smile, "I know you didn't, but those three still think of you as their friend, but so do we."

"What do I do, Hailey?" Lilac asked.

"Sooner or later Lilac, you're going to have to figure that out. But not for Jake, or me, or Drew. You!" With that Hailey turned around and trotted out the door.

Lilac looked at the floor, what am I going to do?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 45 15
After their freshman year of college, Jake and Hailey's romance deteriorated. Five years later, Hailey's become a renowned musician with a worldwide...
22.9K 585 11
Jake and the rest of the club are doing fine, until a new member joins in, putting Jake off the edge. New member seems to want Hailey... But Jake doe...
11.2K 155 20
After the music club won 2nd place in the competition, everything started to change. The music club gained prominence and everything seemed to be fin...
578 19 2
╰┈➤ Desperate people are the most dangerous ones - they would go to any length to achieve what they wanted, by all means necessary and no matter the...