Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 13 Queen in waiting

1.3K 85 9
By the_hooded_girl

Vara strode down the hallway with sturdy steps. She had quickly changed into a simple house gown, glad to part with the more traditional wear for court that had been mandatory during the festivities this week.

Now that Darius had left, things could go back to normal. Or… almost normal. It would take some time for her to get used to Ariane.

Vara nodded at the servant, that stood poised at the door in front of her, and waited for him to knock. A moment later he stepped aside for her to enter.

Vara walked into the room and curtsied for Caius and Euridice. Only when she rose, she noticed the other occupant in the room. “Forgive me,” she said, “I did not know you had company.”

“The lady Ariane has accepted our invitation to have breakfast with us,” Euridice said kindly.

Vara curtsied again. “I will return at some other time.”

“Nonsense,” Caius said, “come Vara, child. Join us.” He reached out his hand, “come and greet me.”

She carefully crossed the room and kissed his cheek. “My lord Caius.” She then moved to his wife. ”Lady Euridice.”

“Good morning, Vara,” Euridice smiled.

“Sit child,” Caius waved at a servant to bring another chair. He was glad to see Vara. It would distract him from what would have been a rather dull morning. Ariane was a well educated and polite young woman, but she didn’t have that same spark he adored in Vara. He doubted Ariane would engage him in a debate about the philosophers of old or a game of chess.
It hadn’t taken him long to notice the difference between the two girls.

Ariane would make a good wife for Cyrus. She would be able to support him and comfort him if she ever found the courage to speak her mind. But Vara had the makings of a queen. She knew how to poise herself. She was perceptive.

“Tell us, child,” he spoke, “what brings you to our door this morning?”

“I came to seek advise, my lord, Vara spoke, “but I did not mean to intrude.” She glanced at Ariane, who sat there, quietly watching.

“And what is it you need council for?”

A small smile appeared on Vara’s lips. She eyed the man amused. “Forgive me, sire, but it is your wife’s council I seek.”

Ariane’s eyes went wide. Did Vara truly dare to speak this way to the former king? But the man did not even seem to mind. He chuckled softly.

“Then go ask her advise. I’m sure the lady Ariane won’t mind.” He looked at Ariane questioningly.

“Of course not, my lord,” Ariane said with downcast eyes.

Euridice smiled at Vara kindly. “What is on your mind, dear?” She prayed it was not about Cyrus. That conversation would only cause a stir.

“I would have gone to the king, my lady,” Vara said, “but I don’t want to distract him from his tasks.” She glanced at Ariane. “I’d like to go to Dalós to aid my friend. Her mother has fallen ill and she could use my help. She will marry soon.”

Euridice nodded in understanding and patted Vara’s hand. “What do you need from  me, child?”

“I need the king’s permission,” Vara said, “but I don’t know how to ask him.”

The elderly woman studied her for a moment, thinking about the request and what the girl had not said. She suspected that Vara’s sudden request to visit her home village had only partially to do with the wish to help her friend. She believed the main reason was to avoid Cyrus until the wedding. But with Ariane present, they could not openly discuss the matter.

Euridice sighed. “How long do you think to be gone, Vara?”

“For as long as she needs me,” Vara answered calmly.

“If it were only a day,“ Euridice said kindly, “then I would send you gladly, but for a longer stay…”

“I fear my wife is right, Vara,” Caius spoke, “especially now. You are needed at court. We can’t have both of you gone at the same time.”

Vara turned to him confused. “Both?” she questioned.

Caius nodded. “My son has agreed to send Cyrus and a small delegation to Tireze in order to celebrate his marriage. It is custom.”

Vara’s eyes went wide and she looked at Ariane.

“My father insisted,” Ariane said, “since he cannot come to the wedding.”

“For how long?” Vara asked. Why had she not heard of this?

“I would not know, my lady,” Ariane answered, “my brother informed me last night after you had left. The king must know, or your brother.”

Vara’s mind was spinning. If Cyrus had known, would he not have told her? Unless he hadn’t known until last night. Or did Darius have something to do with this new revelation?

She needed to speak with the king. No matter how busy he might be.

***

Iason Tessarae sighed as he stretched his leg in front of him. It had been two weeks since his commander had sent him back from the front to heal from his injuries. The battle had been fierce. His horse had fallen and his leg had been trapped underneath. He had a limp now and it was hard for Him to bend his knee.
The physician had said it would take a while for him to recover.

The king himself had visited him in the infirmary to praise him for his courage and proven service. Now he was on his daily walk in the palace gardens.
They weren’t open to the public, but as a soldier he had permission to enter the grounds.
He had come to love this tranquil place with its fountains and vegetation. It gave him peace of mind.

Still, he longed to be back on the battlefield. Not because he wanted to fight, but because he hated sitting idle. He missed riding.

It would be weeks before he could try sitting on a horse again.

He had returned to the city at a busy time. He had heard about the recent engagement of the prince with the princess of Tireze. It would bring prosperity to the kingdom. The army could use more men. They were having a hard time holding the border.

Because of the engagement, the palace had been buzzing with people. He wasn’t comfortable with crowds. It was different in the army, where everything was organized and disciplined. He liked it that way. He liked knowing what was expected of him.

So he was glad he could retreat every once in a while.

Slowly he got to his feet. If he remained seated for too long, he would get sore and his leg would be stiff for the rest of the day. He needed to keep moving.

With a sigh, he turned his back on the fountain and trailed down the path.

***

“My lord king,” a servant cleared his throat and waited for the king to acknowledge him.

King Marcos looked up from the document he needed to sign. “What is it, Aeneas?”

“The lady Vara requests an audience, your majesty.” Aeneas bowed deeply.

The king sighed and rubbed his temple. He had been expecting a visit. He was just surprised it was so soon. The prince of Tireze had only just left.
He was well aware that Vara and Darius did not get along. It was a good thing they hadn’t openly displayed their dislike for each other. If the public had gotten wind of it, they would have forced him to interfere.

King Marco took a deep breath. “Send her in.”

Aeneas bowed and disappeared. A few seconds later, Vara entered the room. “Thank you for receiving me, my king,” she said and she curtsied.

“What can I do for you, Vara?”

Vara hesitated a moment before speaking her concern. “I spoke with the lady Ariane this morning,” she said, “she informed me that you plan to send Cyrus to Tireze.”

“This is true,” king Marcos nodded, “they will leave after the wedding.” He leaned back in his chair and folded his hands. His eyes held a stern, but cautious look.

Vara took a step further into the room. “I beg your pardon, sire, but I am not sure this is wise. Cyrus is your only heir. What if something happens to him on the road? Or worse, in Tireze? With the two already wed, the throne would fall to the house Tirzé.”

“Tireze has allied with us, Vara,” the king spoke in a warning tone, “it would not do well if we suspect them of treason.”

“There are spies in every nation, my king,” Vara retorted.

“Yes,” king Marcos agreed, “yet Tireze’s only heir has honored us with a visit as well. We cannot deny them the same.”

“But my king…”

“This  does not concern you, Vara!” king Marcos raised his voice. He heard the intake of her breath and narrowed his eyes. “Do not make the mistake that my generosity towards you gives you the right to tell me how to rule my kingdom.”

Vara paled and cast her eyes down. “Forgive me. That was not my intention.”

“You love him.” It was a statement, not a question and Vara did not respond. The king sighed and leaned forward on the table. “I know this marriage is difficult for you to accept, but the kingdom needs this alliance and despite of what you think, the lady Ariane will be a good wife for my son.”

“My lord, I did not insinuate…”

“Oh, but you did.” He stood up and paced the room with his hands clasped behind his back. “You will not join the delegation when they leave for Tireze.”

Vara’s head snapped up. “My king…” she frowned confused, “I thought… they will ask questions if the king’s daughter does not join his son…”

“In Tireze, women don’t travel on their own when they are not married, not even a king’s daughter.”

“Ariane…”

“That was different,” king Marcos cut her off, “she was already promised to my son. Yes…” He looked at her startled eyes, “I had made a pact with Tireze already. Cyrus did not know.”

Vara gritted her teeth. She felt strangely betrayed. “Iolaus can accompany me,” she said firmly.

“Iolaus is not your husband. He is not even your betrothed. But even if he was, you would still not be allowed to travel with him. I took you in as my daughter, Vara, do not disgrace me now.”

Vara’s expression turned stubborn. “As my king wishes.”

“This is not punishment, Vara,” the king continued in a kinder tone, “I promised your father I would take care of you, that I would protect you and I have denied you nothing except for my son.”

“And I am grateful, my king.”

King Marcos walked up to her and lifter her chin. “You have grown into a beautiful young lady, brave and wise and loyal. Your father would have been proud.” He looked at her with sympathy. “Cyrus will need you at his side.”

“Yet you will not send me with him.”

The king turned his back on her and looked out of the window. “I have my reasons.”

Vara looked at her feet. She had a feeling she knew what he was referring to and it hurt her that he would think so badly of her. But when he spoke again, he took her completely by surprise.

“I’ve put up a decree,” he said softly, “if anything is to happen to my son and he dies without having produced an heir, the crown is to pass to your firstborn child, with you as regent until the child has come of age.”

Vara’s mouth fell open. “You would entrust our kingdom to me?”

“Don’t misunderstand me,” king Marcos said, “I pray it will not be necessary. But I have watched you, Vara. How you hold yourself, how you bind people’s loyalty to you. You know what the people want, what they need. You have the makings of a queen.”

“You give me too much honor.”

“I know what I see.”

Vara looked at the king. “Why was I not aware of this?”

The king turned away from the window. “I did not want it known. I fear it might draw the wrong attention, people who hope to gain from it.” He paused and gave her a calculating look. “The wrong kind of suitors.”

“Suitors,” Vara whispered.

“Yes,” king Marcos nodded. He walked towards his desk and leaned on it. “It is still a political game, Vara. I can not risk drawing in the wrong people. You do understand this?”

Vara bit her lip. “But there are… suitors?”

A laugh escaped the king. “Of course there are. Did you expect anything else?”

She had never given it much thought. She knew the king would find her a suitable husband. She had just never stopped to wonder how. “May I know who?”

The king sighed. “All in good time, Vara. There is no hurry.” He looked at her sternly. “Cyrus does not know of my decision,” he spoke seriously, “it would be best to keep it that way.”

“You would keep this from your own son?” Vara asked in disbelieve. He could not ask this of her.

“I know my son,” the king spoke, “he will do something foolish.” He studied her for a moment. “As I said before, I hope my decision will never have to be put in play. There is no reason for Cyrus to be informed.”

Vara let out a long sigh. She had been sure the king had been jesting, but he looked serious. What was she supposed to do? She had never coveted the throne. She did not want to be a ruler. “The council will ever accept it,” she said, “I am not of royal blood. It will not matter that you gave me your name. There will be a revolution. We are already at war. You cannot put your people through that again.”

The king quirked an eyebrow. “I cannot?” He shook his head amused. He knew he had chosen well.

Vara lowered her eyes. “Forgive me. I did to mean to criticize you.”

“Of course your concern is unnecessary,” king Marcos continued, “if Cyrus produces an heir, the decree can stay in the archives gathering dust.”

Vara knew then that she had fallen into a trap. That was why he would not allow her to go to Tireze with Cyrus. He hoped Ariane would be carrying that their before they returned home.

She lowered her eyes again. “Let us pray so,” she mumbled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

747K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
468K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
567K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...