On the Devil's Path {a SOA se...

By MCRchic03

This is the sequel to As Straight As The Crow Flies! McKayla comes back to Charming with doubts in her mind a... More

On the Devil's Path {a SOA sequel} chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
Chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty four
Chapter twenty five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty nine
chapter thirty - END

chapter fifteen

4.7K 126 18
By MCRchic03

McKayla

So you’ve never seen this man before today?

After Jax ran out of the room after the guy, I waited in that room. I waited for what seemed like hours before the cops burst through the door. They pointed their guns at me and made sure the room was clear before leaving. Two stayed with me and got me out. Unser was waiting outside. His cheek was bruised like he was punched.

He put his arm around me and led me to his car. As I was getting in, I saw Clay and the others rushing to the caution tape that was around the building. Clay and I locked eyes for a moment. If looks could kill, he would be dead and buried.

Unser drove me to the hospital and I got all checked out to make sure I was okay. I kept insisting that I was fine, but no one was listening. Once that was over, Unser took me into a room with a long table and a lot of over- stuffed chairs around it. He pulled one out and helped me into it. I looked down at my hands and saw that they were shaking. I couldn’t even tell. He sat down across from me and let out a long sigh. He had a notebook in front of him and was taking a pen out of his shirt.

“I’ll make this as quick as I can. I just need you to tell me what happened.” He said.

I swallowed and tried to pull my thoughts together. What should I say? Should I tell him about Clay making Jax think I was a rat? Should I tell him that I was thinking about leaving Charming? I decided to leave all of that out and start from when the man came into the house.

“I was in the kitchen talking to Kip-“ He cut me off.

“The Prospect?” He asked.

I nodded and continued.

“Then Kip pushed me and a gun went off. A man had come in through the back door and was pointing a gun at me.”

“Have you ever seen him before?”

I shook my head. I didn’t even know his name.

“What next?” He asked.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

“He was going to kill me. He wanted to hurt Jax so he was going to kill me. I got scared and convinced him to take me with him instead.”

Unser stopped writing and looked at me.

“The kidnapping was your idea?” He asked.

I nodded.

“Yeah, well it was either that or die and I didn’t really want to die.” I said dryly.

Unser smirked a little and nodded for me to continue. I told him how he put me in the trunk and when he opened it back up, we were at the warehouse. I was still in the trunk when he killed the guards. He had the other one open it and let me out.

“How’d you get the bruise on your face?” He asked.

I raised my eyebrow and tilted my head.

“You first.” I said.

“Jax. He hit me then stole some S.W.A.T. gear.” He said.

I could see in his eyes there was more to it, but I let it go.

“The man made the guard hit me so I’d get out of the trunk.” I said.

He asked me if the man said anything while we waited for Jax. He didn’t. He just looked out the window and waited. The guard tried talking to him, but it just made him angry.

“What happened when Jax got inside?” Unser asked softly.

“The man let the guard go, then pistol whipped Jax. He said he was going to kill me in front of him to make him hurt and then he was going to kill Jax.”

I paused for a second. That man was going to kill me. He didn’t even know who I was, just that I was important to Jax and that was enough to end my life. I swallowed hard and pushed that thought down my throat.

“Jax made a move and he stabbed him.” I said.

Unser asked me where and I pointed to my collarbone. There was so much blood. I told him that I grabbed the board and hit the man with it so Jax could grab the gun.

“Then Jax followed him out the door and told me to wait for the cops.”

I didn’t tell him how Jax kissed me. I knew in that moment that he did love me. If he didn’t, he would’ve just chased after the guy and not have said anything. He was relieved that I was alright. I could feel it in that kiss.

We sat in silence for a few minutes and I started to get antsy. I wanted to see Jax. I needed to see him. I didn’t even know if he was okay.

“Is Jax alright?” I asked him.

He sighed and closed the notebook.

“I don’t know, sweetheart.” He said.

A lump formed in my throat and I choked back a sob. Jax could be really hurt or worse.

“I want to see him.” I said.

He nodded and rose from the chair.

“Just hang tight a minute, okay?” He said.

I nodded and he walked out of the room, leaving me alone. I pulled my legs up under me and held them tight. Maybe if I wouldn’t have left last night, this wouldn’t have happened. I wouldn’t have been at the house and Jax would be okay. Tears rolled down my cheeks, but I wasn’t sobbing. In fact, I felt numb.

A few minutes later, the door opened and two Sheriffs came in.

“We’d like to ask you a few questions if that’s alright.” One of them said.

He was tall and slender with a crew cut. His badge said ‘Deputy’ on it and he looked like a hard ass. Perfect. The other one was a little older and softer looking. He reminded me of Unser.

“I just told Unser everything. I just want to see Jax.” I said.

Office Hard Ass clenched his jaw and walked stiffly around the table and sat where Unser had.

“You will, after we get your statement.” He said very coldly.

I looked at his partner and he just crossed his arms and nodded. I could tell by their demeanors that Hard Ass got promoted over Office Good ol’ Boy and he was bitter about it. I let out a frustrated sigh and sat back in my chair.

“So, you’ve never seen this man before today?” Hard Ass asked.

I shook my head.

“No. But I already told that to Unser.”

I couldn’t help my annoyance. Office Hard Ass didn’t appreciate it. He gave me a glare and cracked his knuckles.

“His name was Marcus. He was an up and coming director of pornography that was recently put out of business by the Sons of Anarchy. Did you know anything about that?” He asked me.

I shook my head slowly. That’s what this was about? The guy wanted revenge because Jax and the club shut down his business? He was going to kill me over that?

“How would I know that?” I answered.

He shrugged and leaned back.

“You’re Teller’s girlfriend correct? If there was anyone that would know, wouldn’t it be you?” He asked.

I could tell by his tone that he wanted information from me. Thankfully, I didn’t have any.

“I’m sorry, but I thought you had some questions about what happened today?” I asked.

We stared at each other for a while. I knew he was reading me. He was looking for some sort of tell. I had nothing to hide. Finally, he nodded and got back to routine questions.

An hour went by before a knock came to the door. Good ol’ Boy answered it and Unser came in.

“Alright, I think you have enough huh?” He said.

I sighed with relief and stood up. My legs were shaky but I tried to ignore it. Hard Ass stood with me and with two large strides blocked my path to the door.

“If you think of anything else, please call us.” He said as he took a business card out of his pocket.

I didn’t take it.

“Thank you, but I told you everything I know. I won’t be needing that.” I said as I brushed passed him.

I felt his eyes on me as Unser and I walked down the hallway.

“How’s Jax?” I asked him.

We stopped to wait for the elevator. Unser put his hands in his pockets and shrugged.

“I haven’t heard anything. I’ve been too busy trying to get those guys out of there.” He said.

My nerves were getting the better of me. It must have shown because Unser put his arm around my shoulder.

“Hey, Jax is a tough kid. I’m sure he’s fine.” He said softly.

I looked up at him and he smiled. I couldn’t return it. I had a terrible feeling of dread and I couldn’t shake it. When we got to the floor where Jax was, all you could see were Reapers. Chibs and Opie were sitting down both looking at their boots, Tig was standing next to Clay and Bobby was sitting with Gemma. She was chewing on her fingernail and bouncing her leg nervously up and down.

Clay saw me first. I wanted to be angry at him. I wanted to scream and yell at him for what he did. I wanted to, but when he pulled me in for a hug I couldn’t stop myself from crying. Gemma had come over and Clay passed me to her.

“Oh baby. Are you okay?” She said softly.

I nodded and pulled myself away from her.

“Jax. Is he alright?” I asked through sobs.

Gemma glanced at Clay and then back at me.

“He’ll be fine. He had to get some stitches and his ribs are broken but he’s okay.” She said.

I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding and closed my eyes. My legs buckled and Clay wrapped his arms around me to catch me. Opie came over and helped me into a chair.

“You okay?” He asked, his eyes scanning me over.

I nodded and managed a weak smile.

“Just relieved.” I said.

He nodded and kissed my temple. Gemma came over and took my hand.

“He wants to see you.” She said.

I swallowed hard and nodded. Opie helped me stand and Gemma took me down the hall to Jax’s room. From the window I could see him. He was hooked up to machines and his eyes were closed.

“He’s fine. He’s just resting I swear.” Gemma said softly.

I couldn’t move. I realized that for the first time all day, I was terrified.

“Go. You two need to talk.” She said as she nudged me.

I nodded and with a deep breath, I pushed the door open. Jax didn’t wake up. I turned around to look for Gemma, but she had already gone. There was no turning back now. I faced him and slowly walked to the chair beside his bed.

If I didn’t know any better, I would say he was sleeping. Except I did know better. He was wearing a hospital gown and I could see the thick gauze underneath it that covered his stab wound. His cheek was black and blue from the gun hitting him and I’d bet his ribs were bruised as well. Behind me, I could hear the steady beeping of the heart rate monitor. In some strange way, it was comforting. One on his hands was resting across his body and the other was at his side. I tried to control the shaking in my own hand as I reached out for his. It was warm and familiar. I smiled to myself and leaned down to kiss it.

Jax’s breathing changed and his eyes fluttered open.

“Hey.” He said. A smile spreading onto his face.

“Hi.” I said as two tears fell from my eyes.

Jax reached up and wiped them away.

“You alright?” He asked me.

I nodded and held his hand on my face.

“I’m so sorry.” He said just above a whisper.

I nodded again. I didn’t say anything else, just kissed his hand. He cupped my face and pulled me down close to him and kissed me. It wasn’t a hard or forceful kiss. It was full of love. We stayed close like that even after the kiss ended.

“I love you, McKayla. With everything I have.” He whispered to me.

“I love you too Jax.”

He smiled his adorable half smile and I sat back. He was about to say something when the door flew open and a woman burst in. She was wearing green scrubs and a white lab coat over them. Her brown hair was up in a ponytail and she looked scared.

“Oh my God, Jax. I saw your name in the ER and thought something terrible happened.” She said.

She knew Jax. She knew him well enough to be worried about him. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. But she didn’t even notice I was in the room. Her eyes never left Jax. I heard him shift a little beside me and clear his throat.

“I’m fine, Tara.” He said to her.

Tara. Her name was Tara. She sighed in relief and then for the first time, she looked at me. She looked at me and her eyes traveled to my hand which Jax was still holding. She blinked a few times and took a step back.

“I’m glad.” Was all she said.

Jax sighed and he let go of me.

“Tara, this is McKayla. McKayla, this is Dr. Knowles. She’s an old friend.” He said.

He didn’t say I was his girlfriend and I could tell by the way she looked when she came through the door that she was more than an old friend.

The three of us awkwardly looked at each other for a minute. It was so quiet, the only thing you could hear was the beeping of the monitor and the ticking of the clock above the door. Tara wasn’t going away and Jax wasn’t talking to her while I was in the room. I took the hint and stood up.

“Nice to meet you, Tara. I’ll just leave you two alone.” I said.

I could hear the hurt in my voice and it made me furious. Jax caught my arm and I turned to him.

“No, Tara was just going to leave. Right?” He said.

Tara stood up straighter and opened her mouth to speak. I stopped her.

“Really, I should go and check on Kip.” I said.

It wasn’t a lie. I did want to make sure he was alright. Jax’s expression changed. He lowered his eyes and I knew it was bad.

“I thought you knew,” He began.

Slowly, I twisted my arm out of his grasp and shook my head.

“He’s gone.” He said softly.

I closed my eyes and turned my head. “McKayla,”

I shook my head and ran out of the room. Kip was dead and it was all my fault.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 4.4K 45
Luca was opies younger sister and jax loved her but she ran away to get a life away from the club years ago, what happens when all the lies she's bee...
56.5K 1.9K 37
*Set in Season 4* At the end of season two, Abel Teller is kidnapped by a very vengeful Cameron Hayes. Cameron, in belief that Gemma Teller killed hi...
238K 4.3K 36
Tig Trager's daughter comes home after being away at art school for 4 years, what happens when jax sees her again and the feelings he tucked away are...
41.7K 1.2K 20
Peri moves to Charming and finds a job, a family, a best friend and love. What happens when the loves she finds comes from two different men? Will s...