TORTURED SOUL | abby littman

By moonceros

โ PERFECTION IS OVERRATED. SIMPLE IS OVERRATED. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO SETTLE FOR THAT? โž Rowan Rivera unde... More

๐˜๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น.
๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—น๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜.
๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ต.
๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ด๐˜‚๐—ฒ.
๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
{ ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ } ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ด๐˜€.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜….
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ณ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜…๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜†.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜….
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜.
๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ.
{ ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ } ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ด๐˜€.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐˜† ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜†.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜….
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜†.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐˜„๐—ผ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ถ๐˜….
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.
๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜† ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ต๐˜.

๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ป.

5.1K 252 149
By moonceros

chapter seventeen

{ heavily unedited }

ROWAN WAS ALREADY LATE FOR THE PARTY ABBY INVITED HER TO AND THE SITUATION ON HER DOORSTEP WAS NOT MAKING IT ANY BETTER. Calling a situation was putting it nicely. It was more of a disaster and Rowan wanted to leave it as it was but she knew if anyone saw it would only bring more unwanted attention to herself and Cameron. So, Rowan looked down at her father drunk on their lawn, curled into a ball whilst hugging a bottle to his chest.

"Get up," Rowan spoke with a monotone as she stood over him, arms crossed over her chest. Hugo rolled over to face her, his grip on his half-empty bottle loosening. "Get up, Hugo."

"I miss your mom," he cried, his tears falling onto the grass. Rowan knew she should feel some sort of pity for him but she didn't feel anything and that he brought on himself. Instead of pity, instead of feeling sorry for him, she was angry that he had abandoned Cameron right at the start of the Fall Fest when he insisted on spending time with him.

"I don't care. Miss her in the house. You're making a scene. Don't you have a reputation to keep? Get up." Hugo did not get up. He kept crying, muttering on about how he missed his wife and, though she knew it would bite her in the ass later, Rowan kicked his side harshly. "Did you not hear me? Get up. You can mope inside."

"I never remembered you being so cruel..."

"Yeah, and who's fault is that? Get up, Hugo, or I'll drag you in myself." Rowan raised a brow, waiting for Hugo to make any movement but got none. She sighed, turning away from the man. "Alright, you asked for this." Since she had already kept the door open to make it easier for him to walk in, she went straight to crouching down behind him and hooking her arms under his and pulling him to the door.

Rowan was thankful no one was walking about and that it would be too dark to fully notice what was going on unless looking on closely. Rowan kicked her foot out from behind and pushed the door open further before pulling the sobbing man in. She let go of his arms when she pulled him fully into the house. She considered getting him to bed and on his side but decided against it as she walked out, leaving him on the floor and slamming the door shut behind her.

° ✩ • ☽ ° ✩ •

Rowan walked down the stairs to Brodie's basement, her nose scrunching at the smell of cheap alcohol wafting up. Rowan stopped on the stairs, looking down at the people in costumes. All seemed to have elaborate costumes while she was in a simple pair of thrifted jeans and short sleeve polo shirt. The jeans were a wide leg baggy style and faded dark grey with a patchwork style and a pocket stitched in on each leg going from the mid-thigh to knees whilst the shirt was black with a white collar and words too faded away to read across the chest. Rowan didn't care though as she looked around for Abby but didn't see her anywhere. Still, Rowan made her way down the stairs and held back a groan when Ginny and Max stopped in front of her, stopping her from taking another step forward.

"We told you we don't want you here," Ginny said but all Rowan could focus on was the hideous blonde wig she was wearing. "Did you not hear us? We don't want―"

"No, no, I heard you. Loud and clear. I just don't care." Rowan scanned the place in case she had missed something and maybe Abby was wearing a wig that she dismissed but nothing. Abby was nowhere to be seen. Norah, however, was as she made her way to the three.

"Rowan, hey!" She said happily as she came to a halt next to Rowan, smiling up at the taller girl. "I'm glad you made it! You want some?" Norah asked, holding out a shot glass and Rowan was quick to shake her head.

"I don't drink."

"What, scared of a little alcohol?" Ginny laughed.

"Something like that," Rowan answered without looking at her, keeping her gaze on Norah. "Where's Abby?" Rowan watched as Norah looked between her and her friends before settling her gaze on Rowan with a hesitant look.

"Bathroom. I'll take you."

"Thanks." Rowan followed Norah back up the stairs, ignoring the two seniors making their way down to the basement. She looked around the house as she did so, taking in the framed pictures as she did so. There were some of Brodie as a kid, some of his parents, some of his friends and some of his parents' friends completed with family photos. They looked happy and that's something that confused Rowan. A family that could be this happy, Rowan didn't understand that.

"Here we are," Norah said as they came to a stop outside a locked door at the end of the hallway. "Do you want me to wait with you?"

"Nah, it's alright but thank you." Norah smiled, patting Rowan's arm before making her way back to the basement. Rowan stayed posted outside the bathroom door, back against the wall as she tilted her head back, tapping her fingers against the wall. She looked back at the white door when hearing a flush. A few minutes passed before the door opened and Abby walked out, her outfit making Rowan smile even though she couldn't quite place it. Rowan kicked herself off the wall when Abby walked right past without noticing her, reaching her arm out and grabbing Abby by the hip, pulling her back softly to stand between her legs. "I came to the stupid party. The least you can do is acknowledge me."

"Sorry," Abby apologised quietly, her eyes wide. "I...sorry. Didn't see you." Rowan's head cocked to the side when realising Abby's puffy eyes and the mascara running down her left cheek. Rowan wanted to ask what was wrong but decided against it as she used her free hand to hook her fingers under Abby's chin.

"Look up," Rowan mumbled, tilting Abby's head up gently. She let go of Abby's chin and wiped away the running mascara with her thumb before completely letting go of Abby, smiling down at her kindly. "There, all better."

"Can we leave? Get out of here? I know I invited you here and ruined your movie night with Cameron which I'm not seeing was not very cool but I really want to be anywhere but here. Please, I just need to be somewhere else."

"Okay," Rowan nodded instantly. "What happened, Abby?" She asked with a soft tone that went missed by both girls. Abby only shook her head, silently saying she doesn't want to talk about it and Rowan respected that. "Alright, lead the way." Abby smiled thankfully before taking Rowan's hand―something that surprised Rowan into tensing―and led her to the front door where they could hopefully leave the party undetected.

Unfortunately, things did not go according to plan when they bumped into Max and Ginny on the front porch, the first completely intoxicated. Abby, since she was the first one out, stumbled back when the two turned to face them, her back bumping into Rowan as she let go of her hand.

"Oh, it's you again," Max grumbled, glaring at Rowan. Rowan paid no mind to her as she held onto both of Abby's arms, keeping her up as she tried to find her footing. "What're you even doing here? It's no big secret you're not the type of person to have fun. I mean, c'mon! You're the parent pleaser, not the one to go out with. I don't know why Abby wastes so much time with you when you're the most boring stuck-up person we have ever met. I mean, let's face it, you have no friends so it's kinda obvious you're shitty company. Abby's just using you for your grades, she doesn't like hanging out with you so back off her! She's not interested! The only reason she even invited you to this party was 'cause she felt sorry for you."

"That's not true!" Abby exclaimed, taking a step forward towards Max, away from Rowan. "It isn't true, Max, shut up!"

"What? I haven't said anything wrong!"

"You...you j-just―"

"It's okay, Abby," Rowan interrupted, meeting Abby's gaze with a grim look when she looked over her shoulder at Rowan. "It's alright, just leave it. I'm gonna get out of here. You should stay if you want."

"No. I'm coming with you," Abby said without a beat's hesitation. Rowan wanted to scoff at the disgust on both Max's and Ginny's faces. Abby turned her body around to face Rowan. "I want to come with you."

"Abby―"

"I'm the one who asked, right?" Abby said, cutting Max off as she kept her gaze on Rowan with a small smile. "Let's get out of here."

"What are you doing?" Max asked, not getting the hint and both turned to face her. "Why are you leaving with her?"

"Because I want to," Abby replied firmly. "Just 'cause you messed up with Sophie I'm guessing doesn't mean I'm gonna let you mess up my friendship with Rowan. Because that's what we are, Max, so deal with it. Learn to live with it. Or don't. I'm not sober enough to care right now," Abby laughed before holding Rowan's hand and pulling her away from the two and to her car.

Rowan knew Abby said she was going to change, going to be different around her friends but Rowan hadn't expected this much of a change. Granted, Abby wasn't exactly sober but it's still something that made Rowan happy. Something that she could grow to be used to if it stayed while Abby was sober. Rowan doubted it, at least not to this extreme, but she still liked to think it would stay like this.

Rowan unlocked the car and opened the passenger seat for Abby, getting into the driver's seat when Abby was in. "Can we go on a drive?" Abby asked as soon as Rowan closed the car door and started up the car. Rowan chuckled under her breath, leaning her head back against the seat and met Abby's gaze without moving her head.

"Not this time. You're drunk. Or close to it. I can't exactly take you home like this. Where were you planning on spending the night?"

"Norah's. She's still at the party."

"Right," Rowan sighed. "Well, how 'bout we head to Stevie's? They texted about some small get together at their place since their dads are out. We could stay there until you're completely sober or Norah leaves the party. Sound like a plan?"

"Yeah, it's a plan."

What Rowan had failed to realise was that Stevie's small 'get together' was a weed circle. Rowan was realising this whole mini party was a sesh and she'd walked right in the middle of it. Bongs were all over the place, almost every single one of them had a blunt and the room was filled with smoke and music was playing from a record player. Rowan's eyes scanned over the open bottles of alcohol scattered across the floor and let out a heavy sigh. Unlike Rowan, Abby was ecstatic to be there and fit right in between two guys, taking a blunt from one of them.

"Rowan!" Stevie stumbled to Rowan as she stood by the door, having been let in by one of Stevie's friends. Rowan laughed as Stevie jumped on her, legs wrapping around her waist as their went around Rowan's shoulders. "Fuck have I missed you," they said with a loopy smile as they tilted their head back to meet Rowan's gaze. "Welcome to the superior party!"

"Glad to be here," Rowan chuckled as she placed them down on their feet. "This is...something." Rowan didn't hate it like she thought she would. Everyone was at ease here and, though it wouldn't work on her, she knew peer pressure was not something she would have to worry about.

"Welcome to my humble abode! Lemme give ya the grand tour." Stevie took Rowan by the hand, pulling her closer to the rest. There weren't many people there, only six excluding herself, Stevie and Abby. "We got the bong corner," Stevie said as they pointed to the homemade bongs. "The drunk corner," they said, pointing to the bottles. "And the weed corner is basically everywhere. Though isn't exactly corners since we're in a circle room but you get the point, right?" They asked, looking back over their shoulder at Rowan who nodded.

Stevie let go of Rowan's hand as they turned to face her, arms spread open. "Grab a bottle or a bong or share a blunt, whatever ya want. The world is your oyster. Or nothing if that's what you want. We ain't judging. Now―" Stevie clapped their hands together―"introductions. You guys doin' that shit or do I need to?"

"Take it away, Stevie baby," a girl drawled from sprawled across the floor, her voice low and husky. She had dark skin, black hair tied in cornrows and brown eyes gleaming under round glasses with a thin frame. She had a septum piercing, the silver metal contrasting her dark skin but Rowan thought it looked amazing, and piercings all along her left ear and a helix piercing on her right ear. "You got this."

"Alrighty then," Stevie grinned. "Come this way, Rowan." Rowan raised a brow when Stevie pushed them back to sit on the empty sofa before walking around the room, stopping by the girl who just talked. "This here is Delphi. She's a bitch sometimes but she's hot so..." Stevie trailed off with a shrug. "And here we got Nova, they're pretty cool and are dope at skating tricks," they said, patting the head of the person next to Delphi, her head in Nova's lap. Nova had short wild pink hair that was sticking up in all directions, brown skin with matching light brown eyes.

"Hey," Nova greeted with a rasp in their voice, more on the masculine side, lifting their hand in a short wave before holding their blunt to Delphi's lips, letting the girl take a drag while they held on. Delphi held Nova's hand as she inhaled and, with a tap from Delphi, Nova pulled the blunt away from her lips and winked at Rowan when noticing her staring.

Rowan turned away from the two when Stevie made their way to the two boys Abby was sitting between. Rowan only noticed then how alike they were―hazel eyes, olive skin and light brown hair. They pointed to the one on Abby's right, the one with finer more sculpted like features than the one on the left who was slightly chubbier. "That's Drew and Blake to the left. They're cousins but act like twins. They're so alike it's creepy but we still keep 'em around."

"Hey," the two greeted in unison, a faint New York accent in their voices. Rowan's eyes narrowed when Abby leaned into Blake, smiling up at him with a giddy look on her face but she shook it off as Stevie walked over to the next person.

On the floor with a bong in hand was a girl with blonde hair, pale skin and piercing grey eyes that made Rowan feel like she was being scrutinised under a thousand eyes. The girl's lips tugged into a smirk as she lifted the bong slightly in greeting. "Alex," she introduced herself instead of Stevie doing it for her.

"Alex gets our shit and is the only one of us with an actual functioning brain honestly," Stevie said as they walked past her, patting her head before going to the final girl who was nursing a bottle, already asleep. She had tanned skin, dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. "This is Camilla. She's a lightweight but always the one to suggest these things. And that would be everyone so..." Rowan's eyes widened as Stevie jumped onto the sofa next to them with their head landing in Rowan's lap. "I'm still your favourite, aren't I? I know I am. Ain't no way anyone here beats me," they smirked.

"Sure," Rowan laughed. "You can be my favourite."

"No, wait." Rowan looked away from Stevie when hearing Abby's voice and the girl dropped down next to Rowan, her head on Rowan's shoulder as she looked up at her with a pout. Rowan could smell the weed on her breath and she already knew Abby drank at the party so she made a note to keep an eye on her. "I thought I was your favourite."

"Well, this is interesting," Delphi mused as she turned on her side to look up at the three. Her gaze landed on the extremely confused and flustered Rowan and she raised a brow at the girl. "Who're you gonna pick?"

"Do I have to choose?" Rowan asked, her hands curling into fists by her sides since she didn't know where to put them. Stevie was still lying with their head in her lap and Abby was basically cuddled into her side and Rowan was starting to feel uncomfortable with all the attention on her.

"It's all fun and games," Blake started.

"No one's gonna get hurt," Drew continued.

"So yeah, you gotta pick," Blake finished. The two talked as if they were the same person, knowing exactly when to start and stop and it startled Rowan how in sync they were. It didn't help when they both smiled at the same time and it would've been identical if it hadn't been for Drew's sharper features.

"Pick one," Nova said, turning their body to look back at Rowan. They wiggled their brows and Rowan noticed then they were dyed pink too to match their hair. "Go on~ Abby or our dear Stevie?"

"That feels like a trick question."

"Oh it's most definitely a trick question," Alex nodded as she looked back at Rowan with a lazy smile. "Good luck, trouper."

"What?"

"C'mon, pick one already!" Nova said, their voice rising in a small whine as they jutted their bottom lip out. They seemed to have done a complete 180 from the confidence they gave out earlier, now resembling a child.

Rowan hesitated, looking between the two next to her. Stevie was matching Abby's expression and pulled themselves to sit up, pouting to copy Abby. "I choose silence," Rowan decided, making a series of boos and complaints ring around the room but it only made Rowan laugh, not finding any hostility within them.

"Smart girl," Alex said with a curt nod, gaining a hit on her shoulder from Drew since he was closest to the girl. "What was that for!? It's true! Asshole," she grumbled.

"Just you wait," Delphi said, pointing up at Rowan with a grin. "I'll make myself your favourite. You can count on that." Rowan didn't doubt it from the determination in her voice so she only nodded, wishing her luck with that.

The next few hours flew by. Rowan got along well with all of them, surprising even herself. She was currently in the middle of a game of uno with Drew, Nova and Camilla who had woken up. She got along the most with Nova who reminded Rowan a lot of Cameron. Rowan wondered if Cameron was okay, if he was asleep already since it was coming close to midnight and if he was feeling better after Hugo left him alone.

Rowan really hoped he was okay.

She was pulled from her thoughts when feeling a weight in her stomach and Rowan looked down at Abby with a raised brow. She hadn't smoked again since they got here but she was drinking a lot and, with that, was a lot touchier. Clingy, even. "What now?" Rowan asked, her face relaxing when Abby met her gaze. Abby kept finding a way to bring herself back to Rowan's lap, finding any excuse to sit this close to her.

"Pay attention to me!" Rowan hadn't expected that. She expected Abby to make another excuse no matter how ridiculous like her excuse that she was cold even when the room was heating up steadily. "I'm here too, pay attention to me," Abby whined and Rowan could smell the alcohol on her breath. Rowan noticed the droopiness in her eyes the closer she looked and she sighed as she placed her remaining cards on the floor.

"We should get going," Rowan said, tilting her head back to look at Stevie who was perched on the sofa behind her. "I'll see you later?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure," Stevie drawled, waving Rowan off with their hand. "You'll be alright driving?" Rowan nodded. Even though she hadn't directly smoked anything, she had been in a room of people who have for hours but she didn't really feel any different so it should be better. "Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow."

Right. Rowan forgot about that. Her birthday that Cameron had invited Abby and Stevie too. The one Rowan had absolutely no plans for and had no idea how to entertain three people―Cameron excluded―for hours. Her birthday which happened to be tomorrow. "See you then."

° ✩ • ☽ ° ✩ •

Rowan was making a mistake. She knew it. But she didn't have any other choice. Abby was still drunk and Norah wasn't answering any messages or calls so Rowan needed to find Abby a place to stay that wouldn't get her in trouble with her parents.

It was Abby's idea for her to stay here. She said it'd be easier for her to spend the night at Rowan's since she would be coming in the morning for Rowan's birthday anyway and this would be making things easier. She had pleaded with Rowan to let her stay and that was how Rowan found herself standing outside her room already changed into her own pyjamas which were just plaid cotton pants and a thin white shirt as she waited for Abby to get out of her Halloween costume in Rowan's room with the clothes Rowan left out for her.

As she waited, Rowan messaged Norah. She'd taken the number from Abby's phone after realising there was no point trying to convince Abby to spend the night anywhere else so she was messaging Norah to see if she would cover for Abby if Abby's parents rang.

Hey Norah. It's Rowan, I got your number from Abby's phone. She's spending the night at my place but her parents think she's at your house. If they call please cover for her. They don't know who I am so it'd be easier if they think she's with you. Thank you.

Rowan locked her phone once the message was delivered and turned to the door when hearing it open. Abby opened it slowly, smiling tiredly at Rowan. She was in one of Rowan's graphic tees that she looked like she was drowning in and thin cotton pants that she had to roll up at her feet to not trip over.

"You feeling okay?" Rowan asked as she closed the door behind her and placed her phone down on the desk. She turned to Abby who was sitting on Rowan's bed with her legs crossed under her in time to see her nod but Rowan couldn't bring herself to believe her as Abby chewed on her bottom lip. "What's wrong?"

"Can...can you read to me?" Abby asked quietly, pointing to Rowan's bookshelf where a collection of books resided. "Any works. J-just, please?" Rowan let out a deep breath as she looked at her bookshelf. She knew Abby loved books but didn't have the focus to read but Rowan didn't find the point in reading to her if Abby wouldn't remember in the morning.

However, Rowan couldn't bring herself to say no with the way Abby was looking at her so she grabbed her copy of beautiful creatures and made her way to her bed. Abby was already lying down with her head on the pillow so Rowan lay down next to her.

Rowan swallowed harshly when Abby lifted her arm and cuddled into Rowan's side, half on top of her with her head buried in the crook of Rowan's neck. Abby was so close she could feel every time she breathed and, occasionally, the fainted brush of her lips against her neck. Rowan relaxed after a few seconds, getting used to Abby's lips grazing her neck and her soft breath tickling her skin. She kept her complete focus on her book, holding on with both hands as her arm went around Abby's back to reach it. Her eyes skimmed over the first few lines before she began reading aloud to the girl in her arms that was already half-asleep.

✩ • ☽ ° ✩ • ─── NOTE
chapter very rushed and all
over the place with a lot of
unnecessary parts, sorry :(

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.1K 1.4K 18
thriving on chaos. nate archibald x fem!oc seas...
982 76 6
โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ IN WHICH! โŽฏโŽฏ carolina, or better known as caroline is what some people call "irish twins" to her slightly younger sister ginny miller...
70.8K 2.2K 25
๐Š๐„๐„๐ ๐ˆ๐“ ๐“๐Ž๐†๐„๐“๐‡๐„๐‘ โIn which Ginny's 'perfect' twin sister catches the eye of the boy she likes.โž *SLOW UPDATES* Ginny & Georgia Fanfic M...
72.7K 826 30
Y/n is new to wellsberry and its people. After her mother passed her father decided they needed a change Who knew this small town would hold so much...