Siren

By Raven0822

*Very mature content*Altered timeline* Following a heart wrenching break up with Bucky Barnes, Juno Donahue h... More

Siren
Post-it playlist
We're done
Feeling broken
Goodbyes
Looking back
Henri Richelieu
Drinks
Dinner with the god of Thunder
Better days
Let her go
Call my name
Care Package
I need you
A little drama for effect
Fii fata mea bunฤƒ
Apartment hunting
Family date night
If you love her
Moving on
Deuxiรจme partie
A Misunderstanding
Decisions, decisions
This isn't goodbye
Dinner party gone awry
Unexpected turnaround
Wedding invitation
This isn't how it's supposed to be
Sequel update

Truth hurts

915 33 64
By Raven0822

Juno was nervous. It'd been a while since she'd been to an event like this. The last time had been as a favor for Tony a year ago. She knew all of the correct things to talk about and how to behave. That wasn't the problem. The problem was she was expecting the inevitable personal questions from people who thought they had the right to ask all because she was a public figure. Thankfully her friends had made sure that at least one of them was with her at all times to run interference. So she took photos with fans and people who claimed to be who really just wanted to say that they had rubbed elbows with an Avenger. Whether she was currently one or not. Juno slapped her beaming public smile on her face and silently suffered.

Henri had been her main lifesaver. Sticking by her side when Charlie was off being his social butterfly self or Tom had to go off to make some work connections. He made sure she was comfortable and made sure she ate and drank something while stirring the conversation away from Bucky. Although the downside of his help was that everyone began assuming they were dating. They all just thought she was trying to save Bucky any potential heartbreak by denying a relationship with him.

Needing a break from the press of the crowd, Juno snuck off by herself. All she needed was 10 minutes to just breathe. Making sure she wasn't followed she glanced behind her as she turned a corner of the garden, tightening her jacket around her to ward off the chilly air. Spying a bench, Jun made her way over and sat down. Slipping off her heels she stretched out her cramping toes and let out a sigh of relief. She tipped back her head and closed her eyes to let the last bit of warmth from the fall sun kiss her face.

A few minutes passed before her quiet was interrupted. "There you are. I thought you had completely abandoned me to the horde." Opening her eyes she saw Henri make his way over to her slipping on his jacket over his tux.

Grinning Juno patted the bench. "No, I just needed a breather. Sit with me?" Striding over, he did as she asked and nudged her shoulder with his as he settled next to her. He tipped his head back and closed his eyes, smiling as he copied her. Juno closed her eyes again and asked "Wanna get out of here?"

When Henri didn't immediately answer she cracked open her eyes to see him looking at her. "Really, you would leave in the middle of the party?"

Grinning with excitement she nodded. "Without hesitation."

His smile widened at her eagerness for ditching the stuffy party. "Alright, let's do this. Where are we going?"

Slipping her heels back on she stood up with her hands on her narrow waist. "Literally anywhere else." She held out a hand for him. Smiling when he took it, Juno pulled him up. "I think I saw a servers back way out of here. Once we're out we'll have to be quick otherwise we'll be trapped here until we die of boredom."

He snorts out a laugh at her dramatics, but follows her anyway. Henri checks over his shoulder to make sure they leave unobserved by the other guests. "Is this what you did on missions when you needed to make a hasty getaway?"

"Oh, I never had to make a hasty retreat on a mission to a gala or a party. Those were cake. I just walked out the front door. Eight out of ten times I never even had to use my abilities." She tells him with a smirk of pride. Juno was the best of those kinds of missions right behind Nat. "The trick is to walk don't run. Act casual and cool, smile and wave." Which she does as they go past the wait staff in the kitchen never once rushing.

Keeping his hand in hers they head outside and flag down a cab. Laughing they get in and tell the cabbie to drive looking back to see that they made it free and clear. Henri gives the man their address. "I figure we can get into more comfortable clothes and relax with a bottle of something stronger than the champagne we've been sipping on all afternoon." He tells her when she raises an eyebrow at him.

"Deal." Pulling out her cell phone Juno sent a text to Charlie and Tom to let them know that her and Henri had made their escape. "I texted the guys to let them know we left. Tommy's going to be annoyed since Charlie keeps taking off on him and we've abandoned him to the old biddies."

He grimaces in sympathy before he smirks over at her. "He'll do all right. I saw a couple of women scoping him out when I went to find you."

Chuckling Juno pulls down her hair and shakes it out, moaning in relief as she runs her fingers along her sore scalp. "He's very handsome, but that's never been the problem. He's a romantic and none of those women are out for romance. They just want his and his daddy's money." As an investment banker Thomas did very well for himself. Working at the family bank that bad been in their control for well over the last century... Well, let's just say they weren't hurting for cash.

Henri untied his bow tie letting his hang around his neck. "That's a very pessimistic view, Juno." She shrugged, glancing over at him. It was, but that's where she was at nowadays.

"I've learned there are two kinds of people in this world. Hopeless romantics and realists. A realist just sees the face and packs it in with every other handsome guy or beautiful girl they've seen before. Hopeless romantics become convinced God put them on Earth to be with that one person, but there's no God and life is only meaningful as you fool yourself into thinking it is." Clearing her throat she looked down her lap.

"Having my heartbroken like I did might have made me a pessimist, but it also turned me into a realist. I thought Bucky was my soulmate. I was wrong. Did that hurt?" She nods, picking at her nail polish in her thumbnail. "Yeah, but I'm a big girl and can learn to live with disappointment. It's all a part of life and the shitty truth of it is, life sucks. Briefly there are moments of happiness, but it never lasts."

Placing his hand on hers to stop her picking he turned her hand over to link their fingers together. "You'll find love again, Jun. I can't begin to know what you went through because I've never put myself out there in that way, but if I did, I guess I would have to categorize myself as a hopeless romantic."

Surprised by this Juno leaned to the side to get a better look at his face. She could tell he was being serious. "Now that is surprising. You know, I asked around about you when we first met. I never would have pegged you for the romantic type."

"What can I say? Men with money like mine or Thomas are easy targets for most women. I've yet to find a woman I've ever thought was worth about settling down with. It made it easier for me if I didn't have to worry about them trying to use me for what they could get out of me if they had their own money. At the end of the day I want what everyone else wants. Someone to love and for them to love me back. Someone to have a family with, to grow old with." He gazed into her eyes meaningfully.

She wasn't sure what she would have said to that because they pulled up at their building. Getting out, Juno watched while Henri paid the cab fare. He never let her pay. Now that she thought about it, he never let her pay for anything after the first time they hung out. Over the last almost month and half he'd bought her little gifts or took her out for meals. Never once allowing her to pay. Something that had been reported and he himself had said he never did for any other woman.

Swallowing harshly she followed him inside to the elevator. She had to get this done and over with. Usually she finessed this, but she knew she needed to be completely honest with Henri. No tricks or anymore deceit on her part. He at least deserved that from her. Once they reached their floor Juno stopped him from going into his apartment. "Henri, can we talk before you go change? It's important." Giving her a concerned look he nodded.

Opening her front door she ushered him inside. Taking off her jacket she hung it up. "Can you sit down, please?" She gestures for him to head into the living room.

"Did I say or do anything to upset you?" He asked, sitting down on the couch watching her carefully. She shook her head no, but the look on her face wasn't helping him to understand what was going on with her any better.

Lightly tapping her hands together she paced in front of the windows thinking of how she was going to tell him this. "I need to ask you something, but I also need to tell you something. Once I do you'll probably hate me and I'll understand completely.. I just hope you'll understand why I had to do this and I don't lose your friendship."

"You're scaring me a little. Jun, sit down and tell me what's going on." She could see that he was worried that something bad had or would be happening. Shaking her head she continues to stay standing. She needed a little space between them right now.

"I-" Licking her lips to wet them Juno clears her dry throat. "I didn't quit the Avengers or SHIELD and I didn't move to England to get away. I came here because of a job."

"I don't care if you still work for them if that's what you're worried about." He tells her with relief thinking that's all this was. He gave her a kind and encouraging smile trying to put her at ease which only makes her feel worse.

"That's not all I have to tell you." Slowly she walked closer until she was next to the coffee table. "I just want to say that I won't use my voice to force you to tell me what I need to know. I know you'll be honest with me, but I will if I have to." Henri furrowed his brow at that, but nodded for her to continue.

Sitting down on the edge of the coffee table she looked him in the eyes and just spit it out. "I was sent to investigate you and your company for any links to Hydra and Alexander Pierce. In the time I've gotten to know you I don't believe you were involved, but I can't say the same for your father. I can't go into specifics about him, but I do need to know. Are you or have you ever been involved with Hydra?" As she spoke Henri's eyes had slightly widened. The more she spoke the further he had leaned back away from her.

"No." That was all he blankly said. No emotion or anything else to let her know what he was feeling or thinking.

"No to which part?" She asked him unsure if he was being intentionally difficult or what.

His dark brown eyes hardened slightly in anger before he calmed himself. "No, I have never been involved with Alexander Pierce or Hydra or SHIELD in any way. It honestly doesn't surprise me if my father was ever involved, but you know how close he and I are. If that's all I'll be leaving."Juno's eyes widened when he stood up. It couldn't just end like this.

Standing up she called out to him. "Henri, wait please."

"What, Juno? I've told you what you wanted." He calmly says, turning slightly to look at her. It scared her a little that he wasn't yelling or any of the other reactions she expected from him. "You know what? I'll even do you one better. I'll give you whatever you want. Send my lawyers the list of what you want to know and I'll make sure you get it. My phone records, bank statements. Hell, I'll even give you access to Crimson Sparrows information, but it'll go through my lawyers." Nodding his head at her he tells her, "Goodbye."

Walking towards the front door he stops halfway out into the hall and turns around to see that she had followed him to the foyer. His voice came out soft and hurt. "Was it all a lie, was any of it real? Did you even break up with Barnes?"

She tells him the full truth. "The only thing I ever lied about was how I got my inheritance and why I was really here. Outside of that I never lied to you. Everything we talked about was real and I never would have lied or been able to fake what happened with me and Buck." Nodding he stared at her for a long moment and then left, softly closing the door behind him.

Walking over to the spot he vacated, she sat down. Juno felt numb. He could have lied to her, but she knew he hadn't. The hurt and surprise in his eyes had told her that. She couldn't let it end like this. She needed to tell him how much he had come to mean to her. Abruptly standing, she raced over to the door and yanked it open. She stopped in her tracks when she saw him standing outside her door staring at the ground. "Henri?"

When he didn't say anything she took a cautious step forward. He took a step back making her stop giving him the space he needed. Looking up at her he tells her, "I want you to use your gift. I don't want any doubt that I'm not telling the truth, so do it."

"I-I don't.." She stutters, but he interrupted her by taking a few steps towards her.

He still doesn't seem mad, just sad and hurt. "This gets you what you need for your boss and your team. I wouldn't want you to fail in your mission and this will make it so I never have to worry about you all watching my every move. So do it, but before you do.."

He closed the gap between them, tilted her chin up and kissed her. It wasn't a simple brushing of his lips across hers. No, Henri's kiss was all passion. Lips and tongue and grasping hands. She was surprised at first, but weeks of pent up feelings finally let loose at the press of his body against hers. Juno's hands tangled in his silky tresses as she brought him closer. He walked her backwards until she was pressed to the doorway so he could deepen their kiss until he had to pull away for air. Leaning his forehead against hers he kept his eyes closed.

"Ask me." He whispered, his lips brushing hers as he spoke.

Opening her eyes she looked at his handsome face and opened the part of her that accessed her siren ability. With a trembling lower lip she asked, "Have you ever been a part of Hydra?"

His coffee colored eyes opened to look her straight in her eyes and he softly said, "No." Then he kissed her. A chaste kiss and told her to ask her next question.

With every question more and more tears fell from her eyes. "Were you ever involved with Alexander Pierce?"

"No." Another chaste kiss and more tears.

"Have you ever lied to me about what you do for work or about your work?"

"No." One more kiss that stole her breath away. Lightly gasping he said, "Now ask me if I've ever lied to you."

Quietly sobbing Juno looked up at him and asked, "Have you.. have you ever lied to me?"

"No. Do you want to know why?" Not knowing what to say she nodded. "It's because I fell for you almost from our first conversation. I knew for certain I was in love with you that first night at the pub." Juno's heart felt like it was constricting at his words. She knew he had feelings of a romantic nature for her, but she didn't think it was to this extent.

"I'm always honest when it comes to my personal relationships and I try to always be honest with my business relationships. I have to be because otherwise I'd be just like my father. I was content to wait for you to get over Bucky. That I'd be here for you for however long that took, but I was just a job to you. And you know what's strange? I'm not even as mad as I ought to be. I don't know why, but I'm not. It still doesn't change the fact that I never want to see you again after tonight.. no matter how much I feel for you..." Her breath brokenly hitched at his words.

Her tears slipped faster down her face as she searched his eyes. "I'm sorry, Henri." She never wanted to hurt him like this. She'd come to care about him a great deal and to have him love her knowing that she wasn't ready and he would have waited until she was and that she'd used him for her job only made it so much worse.

"I know you are. I am too. You know, I really think we could have been good together." Henri gently pressed his lips to hers one more time before he took a step back to turn around and strode across the hallway into his apartment and firmly closed the door behind him. The finality of the lock clicking into place making her jump.

~~~

Juno's tears came down even faster as she stood there staring at his door. She knew she needed to report to Fury everything that had been said, but she couldn't seem to make her legs work to walk her back inside. Swiping at her face she eventually did. Pulling out her phone she called Fury telling him about tonight, what she found out and that she was burnt here.

She didn't know if it was because of how pathetic she sounded or if he really thought she could use a break, but he gave her a few weeks leave to clear her head before coming back to the team. He also left it up to her to tell them knowing they'd take the news better from her. Not that they were going to be happy that she lied to them. Once she hung up with Nick she pulled out her largest suitcases and got to packing.

She couldn't be here anymore even if Fury had told her that the apartment was legally hers. That she could keep it or sell it, he didn't care either way. Knowing that Henri didn't want to be anywhere near her she didn't want to make him leave his home, so she packed everything that she could. The rest of it she would have movers come for or give it away. Less than an hour later she was ready to go with a plane ticket waiting for her at Heathrow. Snatching up her keys, passport, purse and phone she grabbed her suitcases and locked up.

Just as she was helping to load her bags into the cab she called to take her to the airport Tom showed up. Shit. She had forgotten all about him and Charlie in her rush to leave as quickly as possible and after everything with Henri. Asking the driver to give her a minute she walked over to tell him goodbye. "Jun, are you alright? Where are you going?" He asked with concern seeing her tear reddened face.

Hugging him tightly she tells him, "I'm going back home." Shocked, he doesn't know what to say to her. Giving him a half assed excuse before he could try to get her to stay she gives him a shrug. "I've decided to go back to being an Avenger."

Swiping at her suddenly tear filled eyes she tells him, "I'm glad I got to say goodbye before I left. Just know that because I'm leaving doesn't mean we'll stop being friends. Whenever I'm in London we can meet up for a drink. Same for you if you're ever in New York."

He knows that something's happened, but doesn't want to push her on it. Bringing her back in for another hug he tells her, "When things settle you give me ring and we'll talk about it, yeah?"

Nodding quickly she leaned up to kiss his cheek. "I promise, bye Tom." Telling her to have a safe flight he helps her into the cab, telling her he would let Charlie know that she had to suddenly leave.

Arriving at Heathrow thirty minutes later she checked in and got her luggage settled while she waited for her flight to be ready. This time she booked a direct flight first class from London to New York not wanting a repeat of last time in her fragile emotional state. Juno wasn't sure yet what she was going to do or how she was going to explain things to everyone, but she did know that she would rather make those decisions back home than here.

~~~

One long ass flight later Juno was officially home. Seeing as it was in the middle of the night when the plane landed she took a cab to a hotel. Having booked a room she took her suitcases to her floor and dumped them inside before collapsing on the bed. The whole flight over she hadn't been able to sleep, her mind being too busy playing over and over every second of what happened with Henri. Laying there for a minute she thought to herself that she knew she had done her job in a much more relaxed way than she ever had before. It just sucked that she had to hurt someone as sweet as Henri was, especially after everything he'd done for her.

Exhausted and tired of thinking about it, Juno stripped out of her travel clothes and tossed on a t-shirt. She crawled into bed bringing the covers up and over her shoulders and buried her head in the pillow. Even being as tired as she was it still took her a long time before she could finally fall asleep and even then she kept dreaming about the look of hurt and betrayal on his face. After only a couple fitful hours of sleep she slowly crawled out of bed and into the shower.

As much as she wasn't prepared for yesterday she was even less ready for today. Juno was very tempted to just hit the road for a bit, but knew that the longer she drug this out the worse it would be. Digging out a pair of charcoal grey skinny jeans, a random t-shirt and a pair of Chucks she gets dressed. She tossed her hair up in a messy bun not having the energy to do anything with it, even forgoing any makeup. Zipping up her suitcases she grabs her jacket and purse to head down to the lobby to check out.

The whole way to the Compound she dreaded the conversation(s) she'd be having. Depending on who she ran into first that would determine how well things would go. She had been tempted to call ahead, but figured it'd be better for it to be a surprise so that they didn't have time to be super mad when she got there. Pulling out her phone she saw she had a few missed calls and texts from Charlie and Tom. Juno sent them both a quick text to let them know she landed safely and would talk to them later. She could only handle one dumpster fire at a time right now.

Paying the cab fare she hefted her suitcases inside without the driver's help. Nodding at the shocked face of the receptionist, Clara, on her way to the elevator she ignored the stares she was getting. Pressing the button for the team's floor she leaned back against the wall and felt her stomach drop a little more with every floor that it went up. When the elevator finally stopped at her floor she took a very deep breath and let it out before stepping out. Leaving her bags by the dinning room table she asked FRIDAY where everyone was.

The AI greeted her warmly before telling her, "All, but Captain Rogers are gone. They're all either on missions or out for the day. Captain Rogers is in his room. Do you want me to have him come meet you?"

"No, I'll go to him. Thanks, FRIDAY." Heading down the hall that lead to the apartments she kept her eyes on the ground. Her eyes briefly glanced at her and Bucky's old apartment as she walked past to get to Steve's.

Now that she was back she didn't know what she was going to do about Bucky. She wasn't sure if he was back from Wakanda or not yet and if he was how would things be between them now? Juno still loved him, but things were so muddled up with Henri... Remember, one dumpster fire at a time.

Knocking on Steve's door she nervously waited for him to answer. Turning her back to the door to compose herself she tucked her fidgeting hands into her pockets and lets out a shaky breath. Her friends shocked, but happy voice draws her attention. "Juno, what are you doing here?"

Steve's excited smile slips at the sight of devastation on her face. Opening his arms he pulled her into a hug. Rocking her back and forth while she lets out huge gasping sobs. "Shh, it's alright Jun-bug. Come inside and we'll talk when you're ready." Helping her inside, Steve walks her over to sit on the couch. He lets her cry until she has no more tears left and then just sits there with her. Not putting any pressure on her to talk.

In a monotone she tells him simply, "I never quit. It was all a show to go on assignment. The day I broke up with Buck I told Fury I'd take any posting or mission as long as it was far away from him. The job is over, so I'm back."

Steve was stunned into silence, but she could tell his mind was racing with questions. Keeping it simple he asks her, "What was the mission?"

"I was to keep an eye on and check out a man who Fury had suspected of having affiliations with Pierce and Hydra. He wouldn't trust just anyone who just cropped up out of nowhere. My breaking up with Bucky, 'quitting the team and SHIELD' would give me the very real excuse as to why I moved so far away so quickly. It also helped that my family is old money and had drama like his so I took it. I got what I needed and now I'm home."

Nodding he seems to understand why she did it, but was confused why she was so upset if the mission was a success. "Was he linked to Pierce or Hydra?" Juno shook her head no. "This is one of your new friends?" She nodded. "If he wasn't apart of Hydra then why are you so upset?"

Sniffling Juno leaned more into his side. "Because I told Henri the truth and now he doesn't want anything to do with me."

Brushing some stray hairs back from her face he tilts her face up to look at him and asks, "Do you have feelings for him?"

She shrugged and shook her head. "It's complicated. He was my mission, but he became my friend. Henri helped me through the worst of the breakup.. made me see that I was right to do it not just for myself, but for Bucky too. That we needed time apart to work on ourselves and grow. He admitted he had an attraction to me. His feelings were alot more than he originally told me and I didn't find out until after I told him the truth."

Wiping her face on her sleeve she stared down at her hands in her lap. She couldn't look at him as she told him this next part, but she needed to tell someone. "I started to have some sort of feelings for him. He was just so kind and caring and understanding. Always there when I needed him. Henri was everything thing I haven't had in a long time and all he wanted from me was my friendship and one day possibly more if I ever wanted it."

Glancing up at Steve she didn't see any judgement on his face. Infact she saw sympathy. "He sounds like a really good guy. Maybe if you gave him some time.."

Juno harshly shook her head no and covered her hands in the sleeves of her jacket. "He made it very clear that he never wanted to see me again."

"Juno, he was angry and upset. Give him some time to process it and when he's ready I'm sure he'll get in touch with you." He says sitting back against the couch a bit more. Kicking off her shoes she brought her legs up and crossed them.

"That's the thing. He wasn't angry. He was sad and hurt. Henri doesn't just let people in, Steve. I got to really know him. We shared everything about ourselves with each other. I used that information and our shared hurts to weasel my way in. It started out on a lie and he fell in love with me. It doesn't matter that I told him real things about myself or was completely real when I was with him. I lied to him. I broke his trust and his heart. I wouldn't blame him if he hated me forever."

Steve sat there and took in what she told him with surprise and shock. He knew that Juno didn't share her past with many people. For her to share any of it with a stranger was the surprise. The fact that she had told Henri everything about her past and he was now pretty sure she had told this guy things that no one else knew, that was the shock. This was why she was devastated. She had opened herself up completely so soon after the emotional trauma of leaving Bucky and had lost the person who she'd quite possibly fallen in love with. He was saddened for her and for Buck. Neither were in a good place and now this.

"I need to tell everyone else the truth. Their gonna be really mad at me for lying to them. Probably the only person who won't be that mad is Nat, but Tony.. he's gonna be so pissed." Running her hands over her face Juno slumped back against the couch. "Their gonna be even more mad when I tell them I'm not staying."

"What do you mean? Are you walking away for real this time?" Steve cautiously asked. Juno shook her head.

"I'm not leaving for good, but I am gonna roam. I thinks it's what's best for me for a while. Eventually Buck will be back, if he isn't already and I don't want there to be alot of awkwardness. This way I get to work with you guys, but have some space. Do you think you can help me break the news?" She was mentally and emotionally drained and wasn't above asking for help this time.

Pulling her over onto his lap Steve agreed to help. "I'll do what I can to keep them off your back and get them to understand. Just don't roam for too long, Jun-bug. It might help you for a little while to clear your head, but it's a lonely way to live." Nodding she laid her head on his chest.

Closing her eyes, Juno relaxed for the first time in almost twenty-four hours.
She quietly listened to the steady beat of his heartbeat and before she knew it, she was passed out cold. Making sure she was fully asleep Steve had FRIDAY send their conversation to Tony. Telling her to make sure he watched it alone and to go easy on Juno when he came to talk to her. That she was going to need the support of her family to get through this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 1K 30
Samantha just wants to live her life with her family. Unfortunately, HYDRA just can't stand to have that, especially since she and her pack aren't yo...
4.1K 100 32
'Kiss me hard before you go. summertime sadness' ~ "breaking up with him has got to be the most hard thing i've eve had to do,but it was also the rig...
82.9K 2.2K 13
๐—ฆ๐—œ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฆ | "ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ (ส/ษด) แดขแดสŸแดสœแดแด  ส€แด‡แดœษดษชแด›แด‡s แดกษชแด›สœ สœแด‡ส€ sษชsแด›แด‡ส€s." โง— ะฒฯƒฯƒะบ ฯƒฮทั” ฯƒฦ’ ั‚ะฝั” zฯƒโ„“ฯƒะฝฯƒฮฝ ั•ั”ัฮนั”ั• "๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™ฅ๐™ก๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™จ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™™๐™ง๐™ž๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ช๐™จ ๐™–๏ฟฝ...
22.8K 1.1K 48
Natasha thought that they were in the clear; free to live as they pleased. Then Shield did some digging into Peter's past that turned her world upsid...