A New World

By Himitsuministries

A New World takes place in a peaceful utopia 1,000 years in the future that has never seen war, disease, hate... More

Important Update
Prologue - Dream
Chapter 1 - Hayato
Chapter 2 - Rouge
Chapter 3 - Everstay Falls
Chapter 4 - Mori Forest
Chapter 5 - Homecoming
Chapter 6 - The Child, the Woman, the Dragon, and the Lion
Chapter 7 - Rally
Chapter 8 - Blake
Chapter 9 - The Revelation
Chapter 10 - Friends?
Chapter 11 - Appointment
Chapter 12 - Julie
Chapter 13 - Meditation
Chapter 14 - Coming Delusion
Chapter 15 - Encroaching Darkness
Chapter 16 - Light in the Darkness
Chapter 17 - Rescue
Chapter 18 - Regroup
Chapter 19 - Meeting
Chapter 20 - Emilie
Chapter 21 - Lost Hope
Chapter 22 - Grace
Chapter 23 - An Uncolorful Past
Chapter 24 - Shayo
Chapter 25 - History
Chapter 26 - Future
Chapter 27 - Juno
Chapter 28 - Naveh
Author's Note
Companion Guide

Chapter 29 - Yuki

29 4 3
By Himitsuministries

"This is the fountain?!" Emilie quickly made her way ahead of the group towards the fountain, stopping at its edge to take a few pictures. Once finished, she quickly fixed her hair into a ponytail and carefully knelt over the edge. She dipped her cupped hands into the water bringing it back up to take in her reflection: her recently dyed jet black hair, her dark brown eyes that peered back at her, and her soft smile that complemented her youthful facial features was all too familiar.

As she focused more intently at the reflection, she took note of the full moon's brilliant snow-like appearance as it hung in the night sky, dancing to the gentle motion of the water captured in her hands.

She held her breath and rested her elbows on her knees in order to keep her movements to a bare minimum and in doing so, brought the water to a standstill. Her eyes widened as she witnessed the water seemingly disappear from her hands although she could clearly feel it. "The moonlight probably plays a key role in this," she muttered to herself. She released the water from her hands and repositioned herself to submerge her hand into the clear water below, testing the fountain's depth.

"What are you up to Emilie?" Rouge was already accustomed to her younger sister's spontaneous behavior but still took it upon herself to make sure she didn't get into trouble, at least more trouble than she needed to be in.

"Give me a sec." She quickly took her hand out, waving both in the air to rid them of excess water before wiping it completely dry on her clothes.

Rouge caught a glimpse of Shayo as he watched the scene unfold before him with intrigue. She chuckled knowing full well what he would be in store for. "That's right, Shayo hasn't really experienced this side of Emilie yet. She'll let us know what this was all for when she's done. Till then, it's best to just let her finish up."

They watched as she walked backwards from the fountain to the group, making sure it remained within her field of vision the entire time. She continued walking until she was now several feet from the group, only stopping to take a few more pictures of the fountain and surrounding area. Once completed, she held her arms out directly in front of her as she gradually widened the distance between them.

Finally satisfied with the objective she was only privy to, she relaxed her arms and made her way back to the group as if she had only just arrived at the plaza.

"This fountain's so much more like a large shallow pool in my opinion. Just look at the size of it...it's immense!"

"How big were you thinking it was going to be?" Hayato asked.

I don't know...I guess I just thought it'd be smaller."

She abruptly turned towards Shayo, "Are people allowed to step into it?" she asked.

"Yes, usually people sit on the edge and talk as they soak their feet. Those who visit the campus with their kids love bringing them to the fountain for that very reason. As summer comes to a close, people will make their way back to the campus and you'll get a chance to see how truly populated the plaza gets. The area is usually filled with shrieks of joy and laughter from children and adults."

A mischievous smirk slowly wrapped around her face, an outward display of the thoughts that now ran through her mind. That was something she would want to take advantage of if they were to come back in the future. "Noted."

"Be careful Shayo, you wouldn't want to give Emilie any ideas. You give her an inch and she'll go a mile."

"Hey, I know my boundaries. Right, Hato-nii?"

"I'd have to side with her on this one Rouge."

"Thanks for the backup!" Rouge lightheartedly rolled her eyes as they both went for a high five.

"And what exactly were you doing Emilie? It all seemed very calculated," Shayo said.

"That's a great way of putting it...calculated. And you're not wrong, it's just that to most people, it might seem a bit off, and that's fine I guess. I try not to care too much about what others may or may not think about what I do or how I go about things...at least not anymore. The three of us joke about it sometimes but sis and Hato-nii already know why I do what I do."

He listened intently as Emilie continued on. He simply wanted to hear more, to gain a deeper understanding of where she was coming from and what her mindset was. To that end, he gave her his undivided attention to which Emilie interpreted as a positive response to elaborate further. "From as far back as I can remember, anything beautiful and awe-inspiring has always entranced me and captured my imagination. Sculptures, paintings, drawings, architecture, nature, animals, even people."

"It's motivated me to take what I see and use my imagination to recreate it through different mediums like on a canvas or in a sketchbook or tablet. As I developed those skills, over the years I discovered that what has helped me the most is making use of my whole body during this creative process."

"One way I do that is by wearing clothes that give off a similar feel to what I'm going to work on. Sometimes that might mean wearing a specific color or a specific type of clothing." She pointed to her all black clothing as an example of her point. "Another way I do that is by actively interacting with what I want to recreate in an art piece like I just did." She turned away from Shayo and once again faced the fountain.

"This isn't just a fountain, Shayo, it's a work of art. And as soon as I laid my eyes on it, I knew that I wanted to re-create this whole scenery. Everything I did will act as mental cues that I'll recall when I actually get to drawing or painting. When I take that brush or pencil and start, thinking back on the water I cupped into my hands will remind me of how clear that water is and how it reflects light. Envisioning how high the water came up to my forearm will help me remember how shallow the water is."

"When I fill in the surrounding area with trees, flowers, and grass, I'll remember how immense it all is due to how I expanded my arms to encapsulate the area. All of this will give me a more accurate understanding of how I should best illustrate things. It all helps me keep those small details in mind, but those details matter, at least to me. That's about it in a nutshell. Sorry, I didn't intend to make this all about me," she said, ending her passionate monologue with a nervous laugh.

"Please, don't apologize. It might seem like we've known each other for a longer period of time but actually, we only just met today so I appreciate that you would share a bit more about yourself. When I watched you earlier, I was intrigued by what you were doing. After listening to your explanation it adds more depth and meaning to your actions. Once you get around to working on that piece, I would love to see it."

"Sure! I'll let you know."

Rouge couldn't hold back her smile after listening to Emilie speak. None of the information was new to her. By now they not only expected things like this to occur but looked forward to what Emilie would do next, even if it caught them by surprise.

She drew close to her sister and gently squeezed her hand. They both exchanged warm smiles relishing the small step this was for Emilie. Her quirkiness which further bolstered her artistic abilities have at times in the past been met by others with disdain and jealousy.

Those experiences caused her to close herself off to others and instead retreat into art where she would shut off the world around her.

But as she matured, she learned to accept her abilities and unique ways of thinking as assets and gradually met others who saw her the same way. For Rouge, Shayo's genuine interest in what Emilie had to say further helped her sister get comfortable with being herself around others.

As they continued talking, columns of water rose up from the center of the fountain catching their attention. As they watched, the columns of water changed in height offering a dynamic experience. They slowly pointed outward resembling a blooming flower as the streams of water flowed back into the shallow pool only to return back to their original upright position to start the cycle anew.

They were mesmerized by the display before them, even more so thanks to the music that now played in the background.The music was gentle and set their bodies at ease, simply taking them along for the ride as it progressed. "The fountain plays music too?" Hayato asked.

Emilie closed her eyes to zero in on the source of the sound. "No...I don't think it's coming from the fountain..." She quickly opened her eyes and turned her attention towards the sound. "It sounds like humming..."

As the three took in the display just moments ago, they failed to notice that they were no longer the only ones there. Shayo turned his attention towards a figure in the distance who was now making her way to the group. "It looks like she's here."

Despite how far away she was from them initially, within a few steps she quickly closed the distance that separated them moments ago and as she did the source of the humming became evident to them. As she came to a standstill, the humming also came to an end and what replaced it was the rushing water from the fountain.

Now standing next to Shayo was their new acquaintance. Although she appeared no different than any ordinary human, her clothing immediately made an impression on the three, particularly on Hayato as he was already familiar with it.

Her kimono and purple hakama trouser-skirt were unmistakable to him. The white kimono was spectacularly contrasted by the pink cherry blossom design that ran across the kimono and to the bottom of her sleeves. The lengthier portion of the sleeves came about halfway down her skirt. Although the dark blue skirt was void of any designs, the same color matched the inner part of the kimono.

She completed her look with a golden hair piece on the right side of her head, pairing nicely with her short black hair that came down to her neck. Everything was spotless. The traditional Japanese attire was often worn in parts of New Japan, even more so on special occasions, celebrations, or holidays. It was a common occurrence for the everyday person to also wear yukata or kimonos even as an everyday outfit.

"This is the friend I wanted to introduce the three of you to. Although I say friend, she's much more than that. She's truly a sister to me. Yuki, these are the three I spoke to you about earlier."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you three. I'm Yuki." The words she spoke were just as gentle as the notes from the song she cheerfully hummed just a moment ago, and yet it carried a weight to it that garnered their attention. Her soft words alone left them waiting for what she would say next. "Let's see, where should I start?" She drew her hands together as she contemplated on what would be best to share with them. "I'm originally from Japan. I suppose my clothing may have given that away already. I currently rule over the northern region of New Japan."

"To give you three a bit of context concerning what Yuki's referring to," Shayo began. "New Japan is divided into four regions, north, south, east, and west. Each region has a glorified human ruling over it. Below that there are other glorified humans who are in charge of various prefectures, cities, and so on. Depending on the nation, the hierarchy of authority may be different but that general overview should suffice for now." Yuki nodded along as he included more details for their benefit.

"I hope he's told you three that he's one of the founders of this university?"

"Yuki, you can trust that I wouldn't leave out something important like that."

"Perhaps...he has a knack of leaving out important details about himself." She leaned closer to the three, motioning them closer to her. It was clear that this was an area that she enjoyed teasing him for. "I'll let you in on a secret. Shayo isn't one to talk about himself too much so you may have to go out of your way to ask more personal questions."

"I heard that." The three laughed as they enjoyed the innocent back and forth between the two long time friends.

"I am also one of the co-founders of the university. Over the years I've had the privilege of serving in a variety of different roles and areas. Currently, I work in our music and language departments. Once again, it's a pleasure to be able to meet you three." Yuki slightly bowed to the three as she concluded her personal introduction giving them time to take in the little she revealed about herself and ask questions.

Rouge was the first to step up to the plate and introduce herself, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Yuki. I'm Rouge and this is my younger sister Emilie," she said, motioning to Emilie.

She smiled and nodded. "What a lovely name. I'm sure it wasn't merely chance that your parents gave you a name that also matches the shade of your hair."

"Thank you Yuki, I appreciate it."

"It's nice to meet you Yuki," Hayato said, following suit. "I'm Hayato."

"Nice to meet you Hayato." She turned her gaze back to Rouge and focused on the two to signal that what she would say next would be to the both of them. "Shayo has told me about what you two have been through thus far. I'm aware that the journey to this point has been full of twists and turns but it's also been an opportunity for growth as you come to the truth...the both of you are in good hands now with Shayo guiding you."

"Not just me, but Yuki as well. I'm sure she agrees with me when I say we're both here when you three need us."

"Of course," Yuki responded.

Emilie approached her with wonder and awe in her eyes. "I'm Emilie, it's nice to meet you Yuki."

"It's a pleasure to meet you also Emilie. I can see the resemblance you and Rouge share."

"A lot of people say we look alike, that we even look like twins, but we don't see it. I was curious about what you teach here. Can you tell us a little more about that?"

"That's a good question. I'm a singing instructor-"

"Yuki is a great singer," Shayo said, chiming in. "You three just got a foretaste of her abilities and keep in mind that she was only humming. As good as that was, her singing's many times that!"

"Although I don't consider myself to be an amazing singer by any means-"

"She's just very shy about revealing her true abilities," Shayo quipped.

"Don't pay him any attention," Yuki joked back. "As I was saying, as a singing instructor I help others because it's something I enjoy. In terms of languages, Shayo and I both teach Japanese and I also teach Hebrew."

"You've been on the board of the language department for a long time as well, Yuki."

"Yes, it's been over nine hundred years now hasn't it?"

"Nine hundred years!" Rouge and Emilie couldn't hold back their astonishment.

"It's going to take some getting used to remembering that you two aren't exactly like us, especially when it comes to aging and lifespans," Hayato commented.

"When I first met Rouge and Hayato at Mori forest, I told them that I had some experience with Japanese, but neglected to mention the amazing teacher I had who helped me."

"Amazing teacher, hm? All I did was teach you what I knew as a native speaker. I remember it as if it were yesterday...we met towards the beginning of the millennium and became close friends since. You then told me about your interest in Japanese."

"And I helped with your English. Wasn't it amazing that we both reached fluency in only a few weeks?"

"Yes! Oh yes! How could I forget!" The excitement they could now see from Yuki was palpable. From the little time they had to interact with her thus far, it was clear to them that she was a quiet individual, even speaking with few words if necessary. But things quickly changed once she began discussing something she was passionate about. "We didn't forget a single thing we learned! It was shocking...even our memories and the information we could retain was vastly improved after gaining these bodies..."

"You're still blown away by it!" Shayo burst into laughter as he relished Yuki's facial expression.

"Anyways, with introductions out of the way, I want to get into the main purpose as to why I wanted to introduce Yuki to the three of you." Shayo turned to Yuki and nodded, signaling to her to continue.

"If possible, we would like to get your assistance on an important task concerning the rings given to you. As advanced as these rings currently are, what Shayo gifted to the three of you are truly still prototypes, granted, they are in the final phase of development."

"The idea for this technology, like most technology developed, is for quality of life purposes. Not that being able to fly is necessarily a must, but what Yuki, myself, and the research team that's paved the way to what you currently have in your hands have in mind is much bigger than just that. What we've been envisioning is how this technology could impact daily life beyond its intended use."

Silence hung in the air as the three took in Shayo's and Yuki's words. Hayato wasn't completely sure where they were headed but it was clear to them that there was far more to this technology than they realized. "Is what you're referring to when a technology is developed for one purpose, but through general use is discovered to indirectly fulfill other purposes?"

"That's correct."

"Hm, if that's what you're talking about then I see where you're going with this," Rouge started. "One example would be the levitation tech we use today and the wide range of uses it has in society."

Hayato nodded. "The technology was first developed to create a faster means of transportation of commercial goods, but now it's more widely used for public transportation."

"And don't forget levi-shoes, bikes, boards..." Emilie added.

"Suitcases too." Rouge continued, referencing their own belongings they brought for the trip.

Yuki nodded, affirming all their responses to be correct. "Just as you said Shayo, these three are quite sharp. As new technology is developed, that's something that should be kept in mind."

"We've been able to get this far thanks to numerous volunteers who've given their time for testing. At this point in time we still do have those who volunteer as testers when they're able, but usually during the summer months, that understandably cuts down as people leave campus," Shayo added.

"This is where we were thinking you three could be of help, that is, if you are interested," Yuki continued.

"Help? In what way?" Rouge asked.

"I gave those rings to you as gifts but if you would like to assist us in testing, the research team would greatly appreciate it if they could analyze those rings on a regular basis. We would also ask you to be as creative as possible in figuring out how else these rings could be used. And don't worry, you will be compensated for your time. In fact, we're more than happy to include a bonus with each new application of the technology you discover."

"So, what are your thoughts?" Yuki asked.

Rouge and Emilie turned their attention to Hayato already knowing what his response would be. This opportunity after all was a dream come true for him.

"If anyone's up for the task, it would definitely be Hayato, but this does sound really interesting. To be honest, Emilie and I were both discussing earlier how we could use this technology and what we were excited to do with it."

"Sounds like we're all in then?" Hayato asked.

"Of course!" Emilie exclaimed.

"You can count on it," Rouge responded.

"We'll be more than happy to assist anyway we can. I'm sure they agree with me when I say we appreciate everything that's been done for us thus far." Rouge and Emilie both nodded, understanding that they were all given a rare opportunity to grow and develop in Jerusalem.

To add to it, they were now being offered an opportunity to assist in an initiative that could drastically alter the world they lived in and the way people operate in it. For them, the incentive wasn't the compensation as good as that may've been for the average person. What attracted them the most was how they could use their skills to give back to Shayo and Yuki. And personally, they were also interested to see how far they could push the technology.

"Perfect! I can't wait to see where this team takes us," Shayo said.

"Now, there's another piece to this that we're also currently working on, but instead of just telling you about it I think it may be better to show you instead. What do you think, Yuki?"

"I agree. The timing of this couldn't be more perfect. After this meeting, I was planning on getting together with some members of the research team to help them with testing something they just developed. I can go on ahead and you four can meet me there?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"I'll take my leave then." She took a few steps backwards from the group and slowly ascended into the air. "I'll see you all soon." With a gentle wave, she disappeared from their sight.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 1.1K 32
She was done with life. She felt too weary to hold on. She found no reason to keep on existing. So she devised a way out. But on the night she planne...
18K 1.5K 48
It started with a portal from the sky. Earth was out into chaos, talking about aliens and how our world is going to be taken over. It then became wor...
8.8K 1.5K 28
COMPLETED~Their senior trip was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. A week on a sunny beach chilling in summertime-what could go wrong? Annie and...
449 10 31
Cyberpunk Fantasy Ancient Hope // Tribulation : Singularity Cover art by: https://www.patrickennisart.com/ A story of 3 "sisters", from 3 different...