Clato: Cuts Beneath the Surfa...

By RowenaBitterblue

Clove never knew her parents. All she knows is her trainer Favian who sometimes doubles as her dad, and somet... More

Clato: Cuts Beneath the Surface
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Author's Note

Chapter 36

5.8K 132 29
By RowenaBitterblue

Saying the next morning is uncomfortable is the understatement of the century. Cato and I are finally on good terms again and we enter the dining car laughing our heads off about Cordelia's ridiculous fashion sense. Unfortunately the car is silent except for us and the laughter quickly dies out. There's only two seats left, one next to Cordelia and one right across from Brutus. Cato smoothly sits, glaring Brutus down, and let's me keep my distance from the creepy brute.

Breakfast is awkwardly quiet as we remember last night. I'm a little ashamed of my reaction but I refuse to let Brutus get the upper hand. Cato makes eyebrows at me and I snort into my whipped cream covered waffle, earning looks from the rest of the table-save Brutus. He hasn't looked at me yet.

After that Enobaria starts talking tactic and Cato and I gladly join in. She seems impressed by what we've retained. Most tributes don't think things like shelter and gathering are important but I know better. I want every advantage I can get. We get our first glimpse of the Capitol right after breakfast.

It's exactly like its pictures. Tall colorful buildings, waterways and electric trains criss-crossing the streets. People as colorful as birds flock to our train. Cato and I glare out haughtily giving the occasional short wage or smirk. We have an image to sustain.

The train pulls in to an underground station beneath the tribute center. We unload and are sent away to be fixed up. The tribute parade is tonight. A team of annoying and oddly colored prep girls move around me. They rip my skin free of hair, pluck my eyebrows and rub funny smelling gunk in my hair. I almost rip ones hair off as she tries to remove my dressing gown for a bath. I growl at her and she backs away.

Eventually Cordelia appears in a fluffy red dress themed for the Queen of Hearts. She has a purple top hat to match which looks absolutely ridiculous.
"Clove dear," she starts in her whispy voice, "I know after last night you may not want to undress in front of your prep team but they are very professional, well-trained and-"

"No."

"Clove."

"No."
She gives an exasperated sigh.
"You have to work with me. Your beauty is one of your attributes. If you don't use it it may end up costing you." Beauty? She's got the wrong girl. But she does make a fair point.

"Let me bathe myself" I say and Cordelia nods and smiles far too wide.
"Perfect," she coos and heads away. When the prep team is done with the basics they send me upstairs to our rooms. We arrived before the farther out districts and have some time to kill before getting truly ready for the tribute parade.

I head to floor 2 which is reserved just for us. I hate that stupid Katniss has the penthouse. At least Glimmer is stuck with all the first floor foot traffic.

Our floor is the most decadent thing I have ever seen. It's triple the size of my entire house-or should I say Favian's house-and lavishly decorated. A massive crystal chandelier hangs from the vaulted ceilings. Red rubies send their shine refracting off every steel surface. I stand in the middle of the open dining room and living room with my mouth agape.

"Careful, you'll swallow a bug." Cato mocks. He saunters over, grinning. I swat his arm and he playfully chases me around. He looks really good. Whatever the prep team did works.

I vault over one of the onyx counter tops to escape Cato, laughing as I go. "You'll never catch me Blondie!" I shout and sprint into the dining room. He chases me around the table with a goofy grin on his face. He reaches me and tickles me. I give a playful shriek and knock a china plate off the table. It shatters. Cato doesn't miss a beat. He continues to playfully bat away my slaps. It's kind of nice he's not afraid to touch me like this.
"Admit defeat Clover!" he shouts.

"Never!"

Then we notice Cordelia, Enobaria, and Brutus watching us scrambling about like kindergarteners.

"That plate was porcelain!" Cordelia exclaims. Brutus and Enobaria exchange more looks.

"Enough!" Enobaria cries, "save your energy for the parade and act your age." To my surprise Brutus stands up for us.

"Let them have a little fun." he grumbles, still not looking at me. I think he's more embarrassed than I am about last night. As he should be.

"We'll just go..." I start and freeze, forgetting what I was going to say.

"Find our rooms now." Cato finishes brightly. He scurries off and I follow suit. We probably should be talking strategy but this place is too fancy and new to be serious in. We peak into Cato's room and end up in mine. They're identical except the wardrobe and bedspread. Mine is gold while his is black. The rooms are white with black, gold, and red trim. They have full en suite baths that I immediately rejoice over.

Cato throws himself on my bed and I sit at the foot facing him.
"This place is insane. Somehow when I thought about the games I never thought about..." I trail off.

"All this," Cato gestures, "I know what you mean. This whole thing feels like a dream." I nod and lay my head down. It's literally the softest thing I've ever felt.

"Oh my god." I murmur. Cato chuckles at me. "What's so funny?" I glare.

"Only you would find a bedspread fascinating."

"Beats my old one." I shrug.

"That reminds me, I never got to see your room back in 2." He says it with a carefree voice then freezes as if remembering. Favian. I finger the heart locket around my neck. "I'm sorry Clover, I shouldn't have asked."

"It's fine. My room wasn't much. I had a desk and a bed. It was white with pink trim. A room for a little girl." Cato smiles softly.
"That doesn't sound like the Clover I know."

"Guess its a good thing I left it then." I say heavily.

"Yes," Cato agrees, "it is."

A/N So sorry for the wait! My trip was delayed getting home for a few days and I simply could not find time to write. I hope you like it! As always please comment and vote! I"d love to hear what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 174 30
A clato fan fiction from the world of the hunger games, Brutal Bloody Cato and the girl with the knives find themselves falling in love in the worst...
61.2K 820 34
๐™‰๐™ค ๐™ข๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™–๐™ง๐™š ๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ค ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™, ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก ๐™–๐™ก๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™จ ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช. Clove has been training for th...
109 0 23
"No one wanted to play with me as a little kid So I've been scheming like a criminal ever since To make them love me and make it seem effortless" Ayv...
1.8K 47 16
"Hate to break it to you babe, but only one of us is coming out of this alive, and it's gonna be me." "In your dreams princess." It's time for the an...