Not All Happy Endings

By HannahSetzer

Hazel and Mason have been best friends when they were young, but what happens when their friendship is put to... More

2: High School Sucks
3: Becoming Invisible
4: Bruised Bodies
5: Pain and Suffering
6: Road to Recovery
7: Stay With Me
8: Deja Vu
9: Confused Feelings
10: Hard Conversations
11: New Friends
12: Jealousy, Jealousy
13: Traitor
14: Co-existing
15. Insta-Stalking
16. Friendly Return
17. Anger Issues
18. Surprise Visits
19. Lies for Love

1: How it all started

19 0 0
By HannahSetzer

POV: Hazel Grace

I had just moved to this new town when I was 13. I didn't know anyone and they didn't know me. We got here on a Saturday so I had a few days to get settled in before I went to my new school.

 "Hazel Grace?" My mom called from downstairs as I was sitting on my new bed reading a book from my favorite author, Nicholas Sparks. "Yes?" I called down. "Come help your dad unload the rest of the boxes from the trailer". We had moved here for his job, although I never really knew what he did since he never talked about it. "OK" i responded but I don't think she heard me.

I slipped on my Birkenstock's with my old blue hoodie and grey sweats. My hair was in my usual messy bun, since I didn't care all that much about the way I looked.

When I got outside I saw my dad bent over a box labeled: Kitchen supplies. "Hey dad," I said, letting him know I was there. He jumped a little, obviously startled by my sudden presence. "Hey Gracie," he said, using the nickname he's called me since I was small. He liked the name Grace more than he liked Hazel, my mom's favorite name, so that's what he called me instead.

looking around I saw a few other houses similar to ours around the neighborhood but most of them were simple one stories, whereas ours was a more high-end 2 story. I still didn't understand how we afforded this but my parents never really talked about money around me.

at the end of our yard I saw this beautiful tree, perfect for reading in with its strong branches and slick bark. I used to read in trees all the time back home, but when we moved I was worried I wouldn't get to anymore. This made me relax and sigh quietly, realizing I would still have something from back home.

"I see you've found you new reading spot, eh?" my dad said, apparently realizing i was staring at it. "I think I have" I answered quietly. "Well I'll let you go off and explore a little bit after we finish unloading the rest of these boxes OK" his words got muffled as he went back into the orange U-haul trailer.

After the last box was brought inside, I raced upstairs grabbing my book, headed for the tree. "I'm going out," I called through the house. "OK '' I heard my mom say from somewhere, "be back by dinner".

After walking around the neighborhood a little I settled in the new tree a little ways up, being careful not to slip on the slick bark. A fall from this height could seriously injure a person.

Just as I was about to start the next chapter, I heard a voice from below call up to me. "Hey, I've never seen you around here before, what's your name?" it said. Without looking up from my book I answered this unknown voice "Hazel''. Silence.

I looked down, not hearing a reply, to see this boy starting to climb up to me. "Hey," I said, "Be careful, the branches are slippery.'' without answering he perched himself next to where I was on the branch and looked me dead in the eye. His green eyes really went well with the leaves of this tree, bright and full of life. His curly hair, almost in need of a haircut, fell just below his perfect eyebrows (which I wish I had). He had freckles dotting his cheeks and nose.

"so, Hazel, you said?" his voice was laced with curiosity. "Yes, and you are?" arching one eyebrow at him. "Mason" he said with a half smirk, sticking out his hand for me to shake. I hesitantly shook it and watched his smirk turn into a pleased grin.

"So what brings you here?" he asked, adjusting his position to straddle the branch and face me. "my dad's work" I say bluntly, bending a corner of my page so I could keep my place. "Wow, a talkative one," he said sarcastically.

I look down at my lap and play with my charm bracelet my grandmother gave me before she passed away. "Whatcha got there?" Mason asked, gesturing to the book in my lap. "Nicholas Sparks" I said , holding up the book so he could see the cover. "ohh so you're one of those girls" he said with a bored tone rolling his eyes.

"What do you mean 'one of those girls'" I snapped with a disgusted look. Judging by the way he chuckled, i'd say this was the reaction he'd hoped for. "Oh nothing just means you're the kind of person who'd rather spend their day in a book instead of having a social life," he said, sighing as he finished. I was taken aback by this.

"Ugh, excuse me, I do have a social life, I'm just new here and don't know anyone, besides you and you're proving to be someone I wouldn't want to know" I said with as much attitude as I could muster up. "hey, listen here, miss Hazel, so far i'm the only person you've met, but only because I happened to be walking by and noticed you up in the tree" he responded defensively, with his hands up like he's protecting himself.

"And? That doesn't mean I have to like you or be your friend". I knew I had done something when I saw a hint of disappointment in those beautiful green eyes, but it went away so quickly you would have missed it if you weren't paying attention.

"Fine" he said sternly, looking away and crossing his arms. "Hey, I was only kidding," I said sympathetically. He didn't budge but he did look me in the eyes. Why were his eyes so captivating? I could get lost in them if I wasn't careful. I shook those thoughts out of my head. "It's nice being able to know someone from here. It'll make things a little less lonely at school" I said, blushing a little.

He smiled a little, no doubt because he saw my embarrassment, but mostly because I was finally being nice to him. "Glad I could help" he said sitting up straighter and smiling, bigger than before. "What grade are you in anyways?" he asked, turning his head sideways like a confused puppy. "i'm in 8th grade" I replied giggling internally. "ah, I'm in 9th grade," he replied. I couldn't place what he was feeling when he said that.

I smiled and made a mental note that he would be a really fun person to be around. "So," he paused, scratching the back of his neck, "Friends?". "hmm" I said, fake thinking about it, "I don't know...." I trailed off. "please please please" he said stretching his mouth with that last 'please'. "deal" i said playfully rolling my eyes.

"yay! I mean- uh- that's cool or whatever" he said deepening his voice. I threw my head back laughing and after a minute he joined in. "We should have special names and a handshake for each other," I said excitedly.

After a few minutes we decided we could call each other 'Mace' and 'Haze' which was just our names shortened but it's all we could come up with only knowing very little bout each other. Our handshake consisted of us locking both pinkies opposite of the other and letting go, right before jumping and doing a chest bump.

and that's how it all started

POV: Mason Avery

I closed the door and walked out of the house. I always hated when my parents fought. I take a walk every time I hear them start to argue so I don't get caught up in the middle of it, or hear some of the terrible things they say to each other.

A little ways down the road, I saw the tree I always liked climbing. I could sit there for hours and just think about anything. Once I got closer I noticed a girl, sitting in my spot. "Hey, i've never seen you around before, what's your name?'' I called her, my curiosity getting the best of me.

without even looking down here she answered "Hazel". I didn't answer, wanting to see her up close. I guess since I didn't answer she thought I walked away but then I heard her say "hey, be careful, the branches are slippery".

Ignoring her comment, since i've climbed this tree at least a 100 times before, I reached the branch she was on and perched myself beside her.

"so, Hazel you said?" as she looked up from her lap, I swear she had the most beautiful eyes. They were blue with specks of darker blue and grey. She had pieces of her silky blonde hair falling in her face from the knot on her head, and a few single freckles dotted her cheeks.

"yea," she said arching an eyebrow, "and you are?". Using this as my cue, I puff out my chest and look at her and say "Mason". when there was no response I hit her with my signature look, the half smirk. I stuck out my hand for her to shake and she slowly brought her hand up to mine, like she was scared I was gonna hit her or something. weird.

We exchanged friendly conversation both equally teasing each other. But one comment she made, made me question whether she was really joking or not.

 "Ugh, excuse me, I do have a social life, I'm just new here and don't know anyone, besides you and you're proving to be someone I wouldn't want to know" she said, her voice dripping with attitude.

Wow. Tough cookie. "Hey, listen here, miss Hazel, so far I'm the only person you've met, but only because I happened to be walking by and noticed you up in the tree, '' I said, raising my hands. "and? that doesn't mean I have to like you or be your friend" she stated. Ouch. Not expecting that kind of answer, I felt a wave of disappointment, but quickly recovered hoping she didn't notice.

"Fine," I spat, folding my arms across my chest, turning away from her. Maybe I pushed too far this time. "Hey, I was only kidding," she said a little less confidently. I looked at her and her beautiful eyes, and saw that she really meant what she said. Maybe she was just playing with me like I was her.

"It's nice being able to know someone from here. it'll make things a little less lonely at school" she blushed, making me smile since she felt embarrassed to say that. "Glad I could help" I said sitting up straight, smiling like an idiot. "What grade are you in anyways?" I asked , turning my head sideways. "I'm in 8th grade" she said, obviously trying to stifle a laugh. "Ah, I'm in 9th grade," I replied. I didn't know whether this was a good or bad thing but I didn't really care. I mean I just turned 14 a few weeks ago and she's only a year younger.

"So," I paused, scratching the back of my neck, "Friends?". "hmm" she said, thinking about it, "I don't know...." she trailed off. "please please pleaseeee" I said. "deal" she said playfully rolling her eyes. "yay! I mean- uh- that's cool or whatever" I said deepening my voice from its original high pitch.

She started laughing at the sudden yelp of excitement, and the attempt to keep my dignity. Her laugh was so genuine. And when she smiled it made her whole face light up. I knew right then I would always do whatever I could to make her laugh, no matter how stupid it made me look.

"We should have special names and a handshake for each other," she said excitedly. It seemed a bit silly to me but she liked the idea so I went with it. After careful consideration, we decided we could call each other 'Mace' and 'Haze' I liked mine because it sounded intimidating. our handshake consisted of us locking pinkies  and letting go, before jumping into a chest bump, which was my idea of course.

And that's how I met Hazel Grace

this is my first story on wattpad so please tell me how i did. constructive criticism is greatly appreciated :)

I've already started chapters 2 and 3 so i'll post those sometime later this week depending on if people like my story

Edited Feb. 6th 2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

809 3 28
Elizah Mason was your normal teenager she had black hair and intense blue eyes. Hung out with friends, was a little sassy and loved her family more t...
173K 7K 21
Anophthalmia • a child born without one or two eyes ° I got up and took few steps until I was right in front of him. He wanted to back away but I wra...
475K 14.3K 41
"Do I make you nervous, Sweetheart?" He spoke lowly. "Psh, no! I just-" I gasped when his tongue flicked out and touched my neck. My hands flew up t...
884 71 25
Hazel reached. She went inside and saw mom on floor crying hard and then a stretcher came out covEring small body of height same as Eri. Everything s...