Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 90 New beginnings

292 20 3
By the_hooded_girl

It seemed like forever since he had last seen his home, so he took a moment to take in the sight before approaching the gates.

Boncini looked so peaceful under a thin blanket of snow, with early sunlight giving it a dreamlike glow. Smoke was coming from the chimney, and a handful of guards was on the wall. In the distance, he could hear a rooster crow.

"It's good to come home again, isn't it?" Iolaus sighed next to him. They had travelled together from the fort, a slow journey since both were still injured.

Iason nodded quietly. Yes, it was great to come home. He immediately felt at peace. He never wanted to leave again.

He turned to Iolaus and smiled. "Come with me. At least for a moment. You know Vara will never forgive you if you don't at least greet her. It has been so long. I know she had worried about you."

Iolaus let out a soft laugh. "I wouldn't want Vee mad with me. I'll stay a little, but then I'll be on my way home. Vara is not the only one having missed a husband, and I think Ophelia is the one I should really worry not upsetting."

Iason laughed. "I suppose so." He took a deep breath and turned back to Boncini. "Let us not wait any longer then."

They descended down the hill towards the gate. Iolaus wouldn't admit it, but taking a little rest would not be such a bad thing. His injury was healing well, but still gave him discomfort and he tired easily.

It was still along way to Auros.

When they neared the gate, which was opened during the day, a call rang out that lord Iason had returned.

Two breaths later, Vara came running out the gate and collided with Iason who had dismounted.

"Vara," he breathed in her hair.

Vara tilted her head back to look at him, but didn't let him go. She studied his face carefully. "You're okay? You're really alright? I heard you were injured. How bad is it? You need to rest."

Iason chuckled softly and kissed her temple. "I'm fine, love," he said, "don't worry. They were only minor injuries."

"Are you sure?"

"Always so overprotective, Vee," Iolaus cut in. An amused smirk played on his lips. "Where is my hug? I was injured too." He pouted.

Vara released Iason and hugged Iolaus briefly, though no less sincere. "I'm glad to see you alive and well," she told him warmly, "come inside and eat something before riding on." She waved over a stablehand to take the horses and preceded the men inside.

Lykander and Chloe were the first to greet them. "Welcome, back my lord, it's a relief to see you again," Lykander smiled warmly and then turned to Iolaus. "Lord Iolaus," he bowed.

Iolaus nodded his head in greeting.

They seated themselves in the parlor where Chloe stirred up the fireplace. Not much later she brought in refreshments.

Iason sighed content and stretched out on a recliner. It was truly good to be home. His eyes were solely fixed on Vara. In the glow of the fire she looked even more beautiful than he remembered.

For a while, the three of them emerged in simple conversation. They could all use some light talk after all the fighting.

Close to noon, another presence announced himself, albeit hesitantly. A young boy stood on the threshold, unsure whether or not it was fit to enter.

The two men studied the boy curiously at first, but then both sat up straighter.

"Prince Lucius?" Iolaus questioned.

"Cyrus is here?" Iason asked. He looked at Vara questioningly.

Lucius shuffled into the room and lightly inclined his head. "My lord Iolaus. Uncle."

Vara smiled sadly. "Lucius will be staying with us at Boncini for a while."

"Has...something happened?" Iolaus asked cautiously while shifting his eyes from Vara to Iason.

"Cyrus isn't quite himself right now," Vara sighed, "I suppose it is to be expected in light of things, but I'm hoping that giving him some time will be good for everyone." She took the boy's hand and pressed it gently.

"In light of what things?" Iolaus asked carefully.

Vara looked from one to the other. "You haven't heard." It was a statement more than a question. She sat up and turned to Lucius. "Go see if Chloe has some snacks in the kitchen, okay?" She smiled at the boy and waited until he had left the room before turning to the men again. "Ariane passed away," she told them, "she miscarried and then contracted some form of blood poisoning. The physicians were unable to do anything." She paused. "Cyrus took it really hard. He's drinking and refuses to see anyone. He won't even look at his own son."

Iolaus sighed and ran a hand across his face. "We did not receive word." He could even understand why. They had a war to win. Morale was already low. "I should go to Auros." He stood up and kissed Vara's cheek. "I'll try to visit soon with Ophi."

Vara returned his kiss and pressed his arm a moment. "Go take care of him." If Cyrus wouldn't listen to her, perhaps he would listen to Iolaus.

He nodded at her and left the house. A moment later they heard a horse rush away.

Iason let out a long breath.

"Are you upset?" Vara asked carefully.

He gave he a tired smile and shook his head. "No. I understand why you brought him here." He knew how much she wanted a child. He knew how much she cared about Lucius.

He stood up and kissed her forehead. It couldn't have been easy for her. There had always remained strain between her and Ariane. And if what Vara had said was true, Cyrus wasn't taking responsibility. Part of that responsibility would now fall on Vara since she was Cyrus' sister, if only on paper. The king had delegated tasks to her before. Iason knew it made her uncomfortable.

But she wouldn't leave a small child to its own devices.

He didn't know his nephew well. The times they had visited court were scarce and Ariane kept the boy away as much as possible. Hopefully Ariane's resentment hadn't transferred to the boy.

He locked his arms around Vara and held her tightly. It would take some getting used to, having the boy in their home. He wasn't sure what to expect.

Vara leaned into his embrace gratefully and sighed. "I've missed you."

Iason rested his head on top of hers. "I'm here now," he said. He kissed her temple gently. "Come, let me properly greet our guest. And then I want to hear all about what has happened while I was gone."

...

When Torcan and Mikos rode into Tirzé, they were greeted by an anxious Elora. She crossed the marbled hall hurriedly while trying to stay collected, aware of all eyes that were on her wherever she went.

Unnoticeable, but always present, Mehr followed her like a shadow.

"Torcan," she said breathlessly, "you have returned finally. Is all well? Did Darius not ride with you?"

"My lady Elora," Torcan bowed at her, "his Majesty is still in the camp. There are things to be taken care of before he can return home. Please do not worry. He is well and he misses you. He regrets not being able to ride with us, but he will arrive in the city in a few days' time." Torcan looked next to him. "Lord Mikos di Salve has ridden with me. He has been of great service to us. Please accommodate him. King Darius wishes to reward him upon his return."

Elora smiled. "Of course." She inclined her head at Mikos. "And I believe there is someone here that would be delighted to see lord Mikos." She waved over a serving girl. "Go prepare a room for lord Mikos di Salve. He will be our honored guest. And please go to the women's wing. Call Malati her. We will be in the inner courtyard."

Once the servant girl had left, Elora held out her arm and indicated to the right where a small seating area was set up in the shadowed courtyard. It was where emissaries were usually entertained. Normally it would be inappropriate for Elora to keep the company of men without Darius present, but lord Mikos was family, and she was out in the open with both Mehr and Torcan present.

Elora sat down across from Mikos and called for refreshments.

Mehr took position at her shoulder while Torcan stood against the wall facing the door. When Elora invited him to join them, he shook his head and smiled apologetic. "It would not be appropriate, my lady," he told her, "I am on duty."

Elora smiled sadly. "We are among friends here, Torcan. This is your brother." Sometimes these customs and upbringings were incredibly frustrating, but Elora knew these things weren't easily changed. Even if Darius would change the law, many would not thank him for it. It would be frowned upon. So she would settle for knowing that at least in private settings, Darius would treat Torcan as a friend and equal. She just wished he could do so in public.

Torcan smiled apologetic. "Perhaps once the king has returned."

Elora inclined her head. "As you wish."

Another presence made herself known. Loud footsteps sounded against the marbled floor and slowed to a quieter pace as they neared the courtyard. A moment later, a young girl appeared between the columns and hesitated there.

Mikos flinched slightly and turned bright red. Clumsily he crawled to his feet and bowed lightly. "H-hello."

Malati blushed and smiled shyly. She had imagined this moment a thousand times. She had practiced all sorts of witty comments for when she would see him again, but now, all words had left her mind and she did not know what to say.

"Welcome Malati," Elora smiled knowingly, "we have a guest. Come sit with us." She patted the spot next to her on the recliner.

Shyly, Malati sat down. "Be welcome, lord Mikos," she said in a gentle voice, "I heard you have been of great assistance to king Darius' army. I hope you are well."

Mikos slowly sat down again and looked at her shyly. "I didn't do much. I had a lot of men with me, and the army fought well."

Malati smiled to herself. He was still modest it seemed. But he was no longer the awkward boy she had met all those long weeks ago. He must worry about his father's fate and the responsibilities he would soon have. She understood all too well. "Still, I am grateful."

Torcan gave a light bow. "Lord Mikos is too modest," he said, "if it weren't for Salvire, things might have ended quite different."

Mikos frowned. "Don't do that," he said, "don't create this distance between us again. You are my brother. Act like it instead of treating me as your superior."

A sad smile appeared on Torcan's lips. It was a good feeling that his little brother cared that much, but he still had much to learn. For one thing, how to not get emotional but to practice patience. There was a time and place for everything. This was not the time to tamper with conventions. No matter how much he would like to. "In good time," he answered.

"Be patient, lord Mikos," Elora urged him gently, "the king will return soon. Speak with him then. Please do not take this out on Torcan."

Mikos looked down at the floor and sighed. "It was not my intention."

Torcan inclined his head. "I know," he said kindly, "still, a lord should know when to speak out and when to hold his tongue. Especially when there are eyes and ears everywhere."

Mikos glanced at him sourly. "For someone acting like a servant, you sure scold me like a brother."

Torcan hid a smile. "I act as duty calls for."

Mikos smiled amused. "Then I hope duty will call for many brotherly scoldings."

Now, Torcan's smile widened and he inclined his head. "So do I."

...

"We should assemble the council," king Marcos decided. He looked at his son and sighed. The sooner Cyrus would get his act together, the better. "It's time we decide what to do with our traitors, and to reward our soldiers."

Cyrus sighed heavily. Dark circles were under his bloodshot eyes. "What will you tell them then?" He understood the council needed to gather. There was a vacant seat after all now that lord Vertus had been arrested. And the prisoners did need to be sentenced.

His father looked at him sternly. "We cannot keep the news of Ariane's death from the public forever. We kept it quiet because we had a war to fight. We needed stability. We still do. The council needs to be informed on the current situation. Once we have established these matters, we can gradually let the public know. We can bring Lucius home then too."

"I'm sure Vara takes good care of him," Cyrus said stiffly.

King Marcos narrowed his eyes. "Taking care of your son is not Vara's job. I allowed her to take him to Boncini in hopes it would shake you awake. Now it's time for him to return to where he belongs."

Cyrus gritted his teeth. His father hadn't changed one bit. He used people as he saw fit. Him. Vara. And now Lucius. He understood there was a kingdom to rule, but would it hurt to show some compassion? It wasn't like he didn't love his son. He just couldn't look at the boy right now. Staying with Vara and Iason for a while might be what they all needed. "Why don't we focus on filing the empty spot on the council first?" he said annoyed, "we'll talk about Lucius once we've actually gained more stability."

"Very well," his father conceded, "then offer some suggestions who may fill the vacant seat." At least Cyrus was starting to show interest again in state affairs, even if it was a minimum effort. Slowly but surely they would establish order again.

Finally Zeir would return to its former glory.

...

The boy was shy but polite. Iason felt like the boy was trying hard not to be a nuisance to anyone, as if his very presence was an inconvenience to others.

In that regard, Iason thought, Lucius was very much his mother's son.

At first he questioned it when Vara instructed the young prince to help Chloe set the table, to feed the animals, and clean the stables, but the boy did every chore without complaining and even seemed to enjoy being useful.

During his lessons, he worked hard, and in his spare time, he played with Phoebe, even when he seemed little awkward.

It made Iason smile. He only hoped Vara wouldn't get too attached to the boy. This was only meant to be a temporary measure. At some point, probably sooner that later, Lucius would return to Auros. He was still the only child of the crown prince after all. Howe would be raised to be king one day.

Iason walked up to Vara to where she was standing at the window, watching Lucius return his horse to the stables. Gently, Iason wrapped his arms around her from behind and leaned his head on top of hers.

She leaned into his embrace and smiled. "I love you," she said warmly.

He smiled too. "And I love you," he replied. He turned to the window. "He's a gentle child."

"Yes, he is," Vara agreed. She let out a sad sigh. "He looked so lonely. My heart ached for him. I thought being away from court for a while might do him good. And it has. He's not so tense as he was before. He may be a prince, but he is a boy too. At least this way he can have a little bit of freedom before duty takes up all his time."

Iason tightened his embrace and kissed the side of her head. "I'm sure he'll grow up just fine. We will help him, any way we can."

"Thank you," Vara said softly. She turned in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck. She still longed for a child of her own, but if it wasn't meant to be, she would cherish what she did have.

There was no telling when it would be ripped away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
468K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
34.9K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...